LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Adrenals Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adrenals Questions
ZillasMom
Member # 50102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZillasMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

My LLMD tested my Adrenals with the Saliva test. Here are my results and subsequent questions:

Adrenal Stress Index /Cortisol rhythm:

33 @ 6-8 AM (normal 13-24)

6 @ 11-1pm (normal 5-10)

5 @ 4-5 pm (normal 3-8)

4 @ 10-midnight (normal 1-4)

I'm very high in the morning and borderline high at night.

I've always had problems sleeping and always feel wired and tired at the same time. Never feel rested after sleeping. The only way I get a good nights sleep is if I stay up for 24-48 hours straight.

My questions: 2 weeks ago, my doctor put me on Perque Adreno Distress Guard, one pill at night. She was thinking about having me take it 2 times a day, but ultimately decided not to.

Since I started taking it, I feel like I'm only getting worse. I can feel my body become fully awake around 10pm. As if I just got my "2nd wind" of energy.

Any thoughts on changing what time I take the Adreno Distress Guard? Should I consider adding a 2nd dose?

I'm planning to email my doctor, but wanted to get some input from the group.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 18 | From maryland | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had the test. My highest score was 2.8- way below the low limit range- and the lowest score was .7 which is next to nothing. Barely enough energy to keep me breathing and my heart beating, and I felt it very much so.

The highest score was the late night reading. I too have a miserable time trying to sleep (at night), a second wind type thing going on like you described, and am often up all night.

I'll think I am tired, lay down to sleep, and after laying there for 1/2 hour or so I just get a small, but noticeable, buzz of energy.

I typically fight it for another half-hour cause I know I need the sleep, then finally get up and do some things.

Like you, the only way for me to get some sleep is to stay up over 24 hours and just literally drop from exhaustion.

BUT... even though the adrenals were near to nothing, I finally associated this wicked insomnia with Babesiosis. I think.

Last time I went on Mepron the insomnia improved greatly. Then I went off again, slowly relapsed, and went back to the same no sleep pattern and wired and restless all night.

It didn't occur to me it was Babesiosis related till the next time I started Mepron. Almost immediately I started sleeping again. Not great, but a lot better than I had in a long time.

In fact, yesterday I suddenly felt exhausted about 4 PM and laid down for a quick nap (rare for me to do that). I slept 12 hours straight. Not at all like me.

I can't say we are experiencing the same thing, but I am tossing it out there in the event it sparks something for you when you are trying to decipher what's going on.

Your situation sounds so close to mine I have to wonder.

Plus, it took me a good 30 years to figure this out, so no need to make you wait in case it can help you in some way.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhodiola at night for someone who wants to have less cortisol at night and sleep better at night ... goodness, that sounds like a pretty bad idea to me.

I have heard much more of using rhodiola as helping with energy, more as taken earlier in the day, or in afternoon as a pick-me-up if you will. The downside I have heard is it can get you on edge. This is about what I have experienced from using it a few times over the years, sometimes for long periods of time.

I wonder if maybe it could help someone have lower cortisol at night if taken early in the day, and somehow reducing stress, and making less cortisol ... but in your case, that is where you are quite high.

So I might suspect for you, with these scores, any product with rhodiola is not going to be so helpful.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZillasMom
Member # 50102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZillasMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
I also had the test. My highest score was 2.8- way below the low limit range- and the lowest score was .7 which is next to nothing. Barely enough energy to keep me breathing and my heart beating, and I felt it very much so.

The highest score was the late night reading. I too have a miserable time trying to sleep (at night), a second wind type thing going on like you described, and am often up all night.

I'll think I am tired, lay down to sleep, and after laying there for 1/2 hour or so I just get a small, but noticeable, buzz of energy.

I typically fight it for another half-hour cause I know I need the sleep, then finally get up and do some things.

Like you, the only way for me to get some sleep is to stay up over 24 hours and just literally drop from exhaustion.

BUT... even though the adrenals were near to nothing, I finally associated this wicked insomnia with Babesiosis. I think.

Last time I went on Mepron the insomnia improved greatly. Then I went off again, slowly relapsed, and went back to the same no sleep pattern and wired and restless all night.

It didn't occur to me it was Babesiosis related till the next time I started Mepron. Almost immediately I started sleeping again. Not great, but a lot better than I had in a long time.

In fact, yesterday I suddenly felt exhausted about 4 PM and laid down for a quick nap (rare for me to do that). I slept 12 hours straight. Not at all like me.

I can't say we are experiencing the same thing, but I am tossing it out there in the event it sparks something for you when you are trying to decipher what's going on.

Your situation sounds so close to mine I have to wonder.

Plus, it took me a good 30 years to figure this out, so no need to make you wait in case it can help you in some way.

I have been diagnosed with Babesia but am unable to take Mepron due to an allergy to that class of Abx. I will definitely be talking to my LLMD more about this being related to babesia vs. adrenals.

As for sleep, I am very much like you. I fall fast asleep and then 30 minutes later, my eyes pop open and then I'm up for the night. I often times feel like they only way I am tired enough to sleep at night is to run a marathon! But with foot problems, my running days were over long ago.

On the rare occasion that I do sleep, I wake up at 4:34 am every day. No matter what.

I can't help but wonder how this might be linked to the way my body handles certain medications. Prescription pain meds and valium all make me hyper.

I just want to knock myself out and sleep!!

Posts: 18 | From maryland | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZillasMom
Member # 50102

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelTampa:
Rhodiola at night for someone who wants to have less cortisol at night and sleep better at night ... goodness, that sounds like a pretty bad idea to me.

I have heard much more of using rhodiola as helping with energy, more as taken earlier in the day, or in afternoon as a pick-me-up if you will. The downside I have heard is it can get you on edge. This is about what I have experienced from using it a few times over the years, sometimes for long periods of time.

I wonder if maybe it could help someone have lower cortisol at night if taken early in the day, and somehow reducing stress, and making less cortisol ... but in your case, that is where you are quite high.

So I might suspect for you, with these scores, any product with rhodiola is not going to be so helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I am thinking that taking this at night is not the best for me. I might try taking it earlier in the day (around noon) when I really start to feel sluggish.

I'll see what my results are then present the info to my LLMD.

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is it going now with the change?

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement