LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how to ramp up Alinia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how to ramp up Alinia?
moonchild13
Member # 50622

Icon 9 posted      Profile for moonchild13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I'm on my second round of treatment in 3 years (first round was 16 months of abx combos, followed by a complete remission (Igenex confirmed) I made the mistake of having all my amalgam fillings taken out by my regular dentist and lyme came roaring back Igenex IgM was CDC positive 3 months later. Igenex Babesia is still negative though, and Mycoplasma IgM negative IgG is still high. LLMD did not test bart. A parasite test showed blastocystis hominis. I'm treated at Dr. H's clinic in the Bay Area.

March-current I've been on Ceftin 500mg 2/day + Azithromicyn 500mg/day, the horrendous die-off caused extreme pain. I purchased an infra red sauna and daily sauna sessions along with burbur-pinella killed most of the pain. I take Prescript-Assist soil-based probiotics. LLND was thrilled that my pain was so much better so she added Alinia 500mg 2/day as a cyst and parasite buster to my abx combo.

The Alinia is wiping me out both physically and emotionally. I started with 250mg, now I'm taking 500mg/day and my anxiety is through the roof, I'm completely demotivated at work and can't focus, and the pain in my joints is back but nothing like the massive die-off I had earlier in my treatment. Is it ok if I split my pill and take 250mg 2/day? or is it better to take 500mg once a day and stabilize before taking on the second 500mg pill? Also anything I could add to my detox regimen to help the crushing anxiety and inertia?

thank you!

--------------------
Bit in 2008. Diagnosed and began tx in 2014. Remission in late 2015, all tests clear. Back to CDC positive WB in early 2017. currently on IV abx.

Posts: 8 | From Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonchild13
Member # 50622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonchild13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nothing? :-(

--------------------
Bit in 2008. Diagnosed and began tx in 2014. Remission in late 2015, all tests clear. Back to CDC positive WB in early 2017. currently on IV abx.

Posts: 8 | From Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Call the pharmacist and ask about splitting this particular pill regarding the composition of it and if anything would then be exposed beyond a coating as to hurt your esophagus or make either half unequal in content.

Seems like cutting back the dose and assessing your liver support seems logical. Still, your doctor should be asked about this.

In my view, no approach should be so rough as you describe either in terms of anxiety from the dose or pain.

You might also consider other antiprotozoal approaches. Or alternate days with something basic like a good herbal with some antiprotozoal (and cyst "buster") properties.

While the therapeutic approach has to be assertive and direct, it simply has to something your body can tolerate. If you are "busting" cysts too "fast" your body can be poisoned by the die off that you can't eliminate fast enough and that can be dangerous.

Or it could be the very chemical nature of the Rx might be too strong for your body.

Whatever the reason, it's too much, too strong at this point in time. No treatment is going to be comfortable but your reaction is in extreme and it is reasonable & wise to have an adequate change in plan. Your body is quite clear about this.

But your doctor needs to be informed so they can guide you in this. They should be able to offer adjustments that make you more comfortable. If not, then that's another matter.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

Just in case you might have elevated porphyrin levels, milk thistle and also spirulina might be of good help. I'm too tired to explain why but in the "liver links" there is a post about porphyria. Anxiety is a classic symptom of that liver toxicity situation and even if not a true porphyria, we can learn from what helps that.

Also key, though, is that some Rx can trigger porphyria attacks and that can be very dangerous.

Also be sure not to go too low in your carbohydrates. That can also trigger porphyria anxiety and a toxic outcome. that is also explained in the porphyria post in the liver links set.

Spirulina is a top helper. But not too much at night. It can be a little stimulating. Chlorella might be better in the evening.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/36235?#000000

Chlorella & Spirulina - Information Links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
In addition to liver support, To help calm anxiety: Skullcap, glycerine tincture from Herb Pharm. Described here. Note its second word: laterifolia and be sure that's what you get.

I find skullcap can work very fast. Ahhh. And check this same book / website for TULSI / Holy Basil. That's also so nice to calm the overactive nerve fibers that cause the body to be so wired.

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/scullcap-skullcap-scutellaria-laterifolia.html

SCULLCAP (Skullcap / Scutellaria laterifolia)

Not to be confused with the one below that Buhner suggests is for entirely different purposes and also has different properties:

Scutellaria baicalensis (the type Buhner suggests, Chinese Skullcap or Scute) p. 141 his book
-

[ 07-11-2017, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonchild13:

The Alinia is wiping me out both physically and emotionally. I started with 250mg, now I'm taking 500mg/day and my anxiety is through the roof, I'm completely demotivated at work and can't focus, and the pain in my joints is back but nothing like the massive die-off I had earlier in my treatment. Is it ok if I split my pill and take 250mg 2/day? or is it better to take 500mg once a day and stabilize before taking on the second 500mg pill? Also anything I could add to my detox regimen to help the crushing anxiety and inertia?

thank you!

Welcome! I don't think there technically is a right or wrong answer to your question about Alinia dosing, but just wanted to say I tolerate 250mg twice daily much better than 500mg twice daily. It's a great drug for me if I don't overdose on it so to speak. Just remember that Alinia also hits some gram-negative (think Bart, etc) bacteria and also viruses. So, it packs quite a punch, but it is a very safe drug. It has basically no toxicity or drug interactions.

St. John's Wort is a suggestion for the depression (lack of motivation). SAMe is another one that might also help with the joint pain. Valerian should help with the anxiety! It works very well! But, definitely get your doctor's input about which mood and anxiety supplement might be best for you.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonchild13
Member # 50622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonchild13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much Keebler and TNT, this is so helpful. My LLND hasn't really talked to me about liver support all this time; she did give me a tincture called BioPure 'Cocktail' does this support the liver? At the moment I'm not taking it but maybe I should.

I stopped taking Alinia and my abx for a couple of days and felt better, much less anxiety but now I feel the pain coming back so I starting things up again, this time cutting my Alinia tablet in half to take 250 2x/day.

Would systemic enzymes be an appropriate addition to lower inflammation?

I follow the magnesium Root Cause protocol (Morley Safer) I also have Hashimotos from the Lyme and am on T4 and slow release T3, my LLND manages my thyroid. I generally follow the Ray Peat dietary principles (not low carb). Reformer Pilates 5 times a week to try and recondition my body.

--------------------

moonchild13
Member # 50622

quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
In addition to liver support, To help calm anxiety: Skullcap, glycerine tincture from Herb Pharm. Described here. Note its second word: laterifolia and be sure that's what you get.

I find skullcap can work very fast. Ahhh. And check this same book / website for TULSI / Holy Basil. That's also so nice to calm the overactive nerve fibers that cause the body to be so wired.

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/scullcap-skullcap-scutellaria-laterifolia.html

SCULLCAP (Skullcap / Scutellaria laterifolia)

Not to be confused with the one below that Buhner suggests is for entirely different purposes and also has different properties:

Scutellaria baicalensis (the type Buhner suggests, Chinese Skullcap or Scute) p. 141 his book
-

Getting some skullcap tincture now I can't wait to try this! Thank you!

--------------------

bluelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd had me do 1/4 a tab then work up by that much each week until 1000mg can be reached .alinia hits everything even viruses ...

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndyR
Member # 46432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndyR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has me doing 500mg of Alinia once a day and it's pretty tough on me. Can't imagine twice a day.
Posts: 87 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement