LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Could it be Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could it be Lyme?
JenniferJohnsonRies
Member # 50640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenniferJohnsonRies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

Driving myself crazy here. Any expert advice?

We were in northeastern PA on vacation for 6 days. It always stresses me out when we go since there is so much lyme up there.

Anyhow, the kids and I stay out of the woods and long grass, bushes, etc. I always check their bodies over at night.

Seems strange that I would miss something...but...on the 5th night I noticed a red dime size red mark on my son's arm (inner upper arm).

It had a dark red center and a black speck in the middle of that. It was completely flat, did not hurt or itch. From what I've seen online sounds like an allergic site reaction to a tick bite (hoping not though).

It faded away about 95+% after 3 - 4 days. When we got home I took him to Urgent Care and we have started amoxicillin, but only have it for 10 or so days and I know that's not long enough.

I lied and told them I removed a tick...just wanted some antibiotics - knowing people with lyme it scares the heck out of me.

Anyhow, she said are you sure you got it all out and proceeded to pull the tiny black speck out of the center. Was that part of a tick or a scab?

I would think that if it dropped of by itself it would be as a whole with nothing left behind (vs. being pulled out with tweezers which did not happen).

So, about 4 days after the initial spot almost completely faded a new raised pink/red bump appeared in the same spot.

It's about 1/4" in size. To me it resembles a small mosquito bite. Again, does not hurt or itch. I drew a circle around it and so far 48 hours later it has not changed. No bulls-eye, etc.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Am I making myself sick for no reason? Also, it's been at most 15 days since the bite occurred and no symptoms at all.

Thanks so much for your help!
Jennifer

**edited for easier reading.. please put space between sentences**

[ 07-11-2017, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 4 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may have dodged a bullet. Keep an eye on it and if possible go to another Urgent Care or pedi for more meds just in case.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possible that it was a tick and that your son did not contract Lyme. I met someone once who had a bullseye rash and was not treated at all. His own immune system was strong enough to fight it. Just like my husband and I can both be exposed to a virus. I'll get it and he won't.

However, I would watch for symptoms. Ticks can be VERY small. The size of the period at the end of this sentence. So, what the doctor pulled out coud have been an entire tick.

A big percentage of ticks carry Lyme, but not all, so you may have just been lucky.

If he has any symptoms whatsoever, I would do as Lymetoo says and get more antibiotics.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to be cautious. A pound of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

You can print the one page treatment guidelines found here for children and take them to a doctor to get more meds. (I would.)

www.TreatTheBite.com

Less than 10% of children develop a Lyme rash. Most are not a bulls-eye rash, adults and children. I would be suspicious of any markings on a child.

Here are some picture of rashes just for an example of the variations.

https://sites.google.com/site/drjoneskids/rash-photos

The fact your little one was bitten in Pennsylvania, oh my! I can't tell you what to do, but if it were my child I'd go to the limits, however, even in northern VA it can be rough too!

Now, one more problem, and I am REALLY not trying to add more to your plate, but we just had a study come out a few days ago that says Amoxicillin is unable to kill Lyme in the lab dishes. They have not had time to check it on humans yet.

I don't know how old your son is, but if old enough for Doxy, that would be my choice because it would address Lyme, Bartonella, Ehrlichiosis, Anaplasmosis and spotted fevers too.

Here is info on those tick borne diseases.

https://sites.google.com/site/drjoneskids/tick-borne-diseases

And if you need any more info you'll have to put a quarter in the jukebox first.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferJohnsonRies
Member # 50640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenniferJohnsonRies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for the responses. I do want to get more antibiotics...not sure where to turn for that.

Sure, I can get into our pediatrician, but I'm sure they will do nothing (as they did with a friend of mine recently that pulled a completely engorged tick off her child "just wait and see"). UGH!!!

I've been trying to get in with a good lyme dr, but the waits are 1 - 3 months. I just can't wait that long to do something.

I did also read somewhere that Amoxicillin doesn't get rid of 2 strains of lyme...very upsetting since he's not old enough for doxy.

And I don't think the dose that we got is enough (at least according to Burrascano - he's taking about half). Double UGH!!!

I read that azithromycin may be a better option. So, I guess the best thing to do is get him on azithromycin perhaps with a higher dose (assuming I can get someone to get it for me).

Then worry about getting his gut back in order later (much easier problem to handle).

Posts: 4 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just sent you a PM with some more names of LLMDs in your state as well as others.

Keep trying to get your child in to be seen by one of the LLMDs. When calling for an appointment, ask if they have any cancellations or a waiting list. Call every day if you have to!

Be willing to go where they are. At least half of all patients travel out-of-state for care.

I already sent you these important links with good information about Lyme and children:

http://www.childrenslymenetwork.org/

https://sites.google.com/site/drjoneskids/symptoms-literature

https://sites.google.com/site/drjoneskids/home

A book titled, "When Your Child Has Lyme Disease: A Parent's Survival Guide" which also might be helpful:

http://www.lymeliteratepress.com/

Contact the online VA state Lyme groups at:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/VirginiaLyme/info

Ask them for advice and/or recommendations. They would know better about VA.

Some more resources for you (including Support Groups info):
http://whatislyme.com/lyme-in-virginia/

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/Virginia/

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also when you call LLMDs, tell them he JUST got bit and that you need prophylactic treatment ASAP!

I bet a lot of LLMDs will be happy to see him immediately to prevent potential severe disease since the bite is fresh.

A family friend of ours got bit a couple of years ago, I called my LLMD at the time and he saw him the same day!

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Urgent Care employee pulled the tick out of your child. You have to use a magnifying glass to see that the little black speck is actually a tick.

Try going to a few other Urgent Care offices and see if you can get a few more to give you 10 days each. You will have to act like you haven't gone to Urgent Care before.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferJohnsonRies
Member # 50640

I just had no idea that these ticks could be that small. I had read that the nymphs are the size of a poppy seed so I was looking out for that. This black speck was much smaller than that.

And larvae don't typically feed on humans for their first feeding (usually mice) and they don't have lyme either of course.

And it was also strange to me that the whole area was flat. I didn't think that ticks embedded into your skin like that.

I figured I would feel a slight raised area of some sort.

I'm so upset that this didn't even cross my mind at the time. Perhaps I could have gotten it out when I first saw it.

Although I still wouldn't know how long it had been attached.

Trying to figure out if I should go to the same Urgent Care and beg for more antibiotics bringing in documentation showing that 10 days isn't enough or just try a different one...hmmm.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's easier to try a different one.

Take documentation to the next one.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement