LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anybody Hear of this Fatal Disease from a Tick Bite?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody Hear of this Fatal Disease from a Tick Bite?
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bourbon virus:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/07/12/woman-dies-after-contracting-rare-tick-borne-virus.html

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
josh123
Member # 48198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for josh123   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF,

Read the same this morning and thought of posting..

The department was collecting ticks to test for the virus in the park now. Hopefully CDC will research actively and provide cure for this.

Hoping CDC would change guidelines and treatment protocols for these tick borne illness and find cure in the near future..

--------------------
NA

Posts: 74 | From Dallas | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh...

I looked in wikipedia and other sites. There is no information about treatments...

This virus is a Thogotovirus, and Influenza A, B, C viruses belong to the same group.

No wonder the people die with lung complications, pneumonia, difficulty to swallow, high fevers etc.

The progression of the disease is fast, in a matter of days or couple of weeks. Like TBE or FSME.

I don't think conventional medicine has any treatment for these sorts of viruses (in Europe, there is no treatment for FSME, that can also kill in a couple of weeks, or provoke long lasting complications...).

You are basically taken to hospital, fluids injected, pain relief, fever medication, stuff like that.

So, I would stock herbs or homeopathic medicine, because when you fall ill, each hour counts!!! Influenza viruses reproduce so fast, and then the whole body is knocked down fast.

For homeopathy, these are Influenza remedies, and the description of what they do seems to match what these people who got Bourbon are having (redness in skin, difficulty to breathe, pneumonia, high fever etc).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larry-malerba/homeopathic-remedies-for-the-flu_b_802803.html

Here is one site with homeopathic remedies.

I would add two more to the list above:
Influenzinum 30C and Bacillinum 30C, just in case... These are nosodes, made by pathogens.

I know many of you don't believe in homeopathy, but I do.

Without homeopathy, I would be certainly still fighting lyme disease (it was borrelia nosodes who took us out of lyme).

For TBE, I would stock TBE nosodes home. I already have mine, just in case. They are made from the pathogens, similarly to a vaccine (but no other ingredients than the pathogen).

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/eyes-ears-nose-throat/5-best-home-remedies-for-flu-treatment-backed-by-scientific-studies/

Oregano oil, NAC, Olive leaf extract, ginger, probiotics, water, vit C, zinc, D3, eucaliptus oil, vic vaporub, beta glucan, echinacea, colloidal silver

-----------------------------------------

Echinacea, Elderberry, Ginger, Andrographis, Boneset.

http://www.naturalnews.com/034851_flu_herbal_remedies_cures.html#

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's in my state. She died in Missouri.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Relatively sure that Bourbon virus has crossed my reading lists over time. The name does not sound new to me at all - and I've never been a bourbon drinker so I know there's no cross over connection there.

Ah, yes, from a few years ago . . . Wiki explains: " . . . It was first identified in 2014 in a man from Bourbon County, Kansas, United States . . . ."
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As for treatments, I am a strong "no" to any notion from the regular medical world to their myth that "no treatment for any virus" as they often say during flu outbreaks, etc.

Any bad virus - at the hands of our typical medical system - is a sign for them to just give up. And if they would just open their eyes and call in naturopathic physician with training in this area, they learn there are indeed many ways to approach a virus. So very many.

But the pharmaceutical industry blocks that from the Rx formularies and won't allow such in any hospitals.

I think the basic thinking is that a single tick can carry about 14 different infections, maybe more. They want to call these things "rare" but I think "rarely acknowledged is more like it.

IMO, anyone with lyme also needs to be on combination and rotation of various kinds of anti-viral treatments as well. There are many things that will never get a proper diagnosis so all bases should be covered.

One of the only "supportive" methods that typical doctors / hospitals have for those with rough viruses is to give acetaminophen and that can cause serious issues, so very serious as it can block the liver and every single cell in the body from being able to let go of the toxins from the infections by blocking glutathione.

This can hurry death if the body can't get rid of waste products in the cells and the liver can't work right . . . and the cytokine storm that results from blockage of glutathione - a cytokine storm is where the body is so overwhelmed - is often what kills in the end.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add to Brussels' list, most of the "Buhner herbs" have incredible potential for treating the fatal cytokine storms that accompany the more virulent strains of influenza.

I like this person's short write-up of it:

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/herbal-medicine-influenza-pandemics/

I would want to be familiar with these herb combinations and keep tincture ready on hand for this type of thing.

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
gz,

I could kiss you - for the PERFECT post to top off Brussels top notch posts & mine. So often I feel like the world does not take this matter of cytokine storm damage & how acetaminophen can trigger it (or the fact hospitals often ignore any ways to address it) seriously.

So many thanks for your follow up to this and the link and expert source in Buhner's work as a suggestion and the excellent advice for everyone - now - to become

"familiar with these herb combinations and keep tincture ready on hand for this type of thing."

We have to know about all this before it might happen.
-

Brussels
Member # 13480

Thanks for that, really!!

I'm copy pasting here Buhner suggestions to stop the cytokine storm. It is that that kills so fast!

These herbs must be already AT HOME, in case you are bitten and contaminated, because the storm starts VERY FAST.

My daughter got the flavivirus FSME /TBE from a tick bite (not a thogotovirus/ influenza) but similar to POWASSAN. These flaviriruses also cause incredible cytokine storms, and that is what damages permanently people (nerve system / organs) if it does not kill them!

Many thanks for the list of herbs!!!

BUY THEM NOW and STOCK THEM AT HOME, because if you passed through what my daughter passed (flavirus), you are knocked down almost immediately and the progression AND DAMAGE of illness is too fast to start looking for herbs to buy and take.

that was my mistake, I lost precious days during the fight with FSME!!!

Specially if you are ALONE, and no one is going to buy these herbs for you.

You get literally out of circuit in a matter of few days, if not hours, SPECIALLY if your immune system is LOW GEAR like people with chronic lyme.

Stock the herbs home! They may be helpful for Powassan, TBE and God knows whatever new infection these ticks have!!

Below the copy paste (in case the site above disappears!)
-----------------------------------

Buhner'S suggestion for herbs to fight CYTOKINE STORMS in INFLUENZA:

When the viruses are inhaled, they attach to the lining in the lungs (Chinese skull cap, fresh ginger).

As soon as they attach to the cell, it makes the cell surface softer and ‘tricks’ the cell into allowing it inside (Chinese skullcap, elder, licorice, rhodiola, ginger, isatis, lespedeza bicolor, Angelica keiskei, Amorpha fruiticosa, quercetin, Alpina zerumbet, Erythrina addisoniae and Cleitocalyx operculatus).

Once inside the cell, the virus stimulates the cell to create a sealed bubble called a vacuole.

This is where the virus does its replication. It feeds itself and releases waste through the tiny portals in the cell walls (Lomatium is one of the most potent inhibitors of these actions – even stronger than the pharmaceutical amantadine- starving the virus).

Once those portals are open, the virus disassembles itself and releases viral RNA and core proteins, which stimulates the cell into making copies of the viral RNA, each slightly different (Chinese skullcap).

As the new viruses grow in numbers, the cells bulge, its components are depleted so that the cell dies, and the newly created viruses are released into the body to infect new cells and the process begins anew.

To the rescue comes the immune system in the form of cytokines.

However, the viruses are wiley little things, and stimulate the cytokines in such a way that they actually make the surrounding cells more porous to the viruses.

More and more inflammatory cytokines are released to fight the invaders.

Further, the virus strongly stimulate type 1 interferon production, but the virus combats that too by using a protein, the NS1 protein, which blocks the interferon (licorice).

The virus also inhibits response of T and B immune cells (licorice, elder, red root, and zinc).

This all happens within the first 3-6 hours after infection.

Subsequently, more and more inflammatory cells dive into action.

The consequence of this is that more and more white blood cell filled mucus fills the lungs.

The lymph system attempts to drain the lungs, but due to the amount of cytokines being produced, cannot keep up, or are themselves attacked so that they close up and the lungs fill with fluid

.... (red root for lymph enlargement and drainage, inmortal for optimizing lymph drainage and pleurisy root for reducing inflammation in the pleurae and lungs.

They can be used interchangeably to some extent).

More alphabet soup, more alphabet soup and more alphabet soup (it goes on for pages and pages), as the virus plays the body against itself.

Herbs to modify the body’s response to keep it from killing itself are: Chinese senega root, Chinese skullcap, elder, ginger, houttuynia, licorice, boneset, cordyceps, Japanese knotweed, kudzu.

Each type of influenza sets off a slightly different cytokine cascade.

For the avian flu, other medicinal plants are being added: Astragalus (the strongest), Magnolia offricinalis, Ginko Biloba, Folium syringae, Nigella sativa, Paeonia lactiflor and Lonicera japonica.

The bad news is that Tamiflu and Relenza are both excreted from the body in an activated metabolized form, flows unaffected through wastewater treatment plants and ends up in small amounts in waterways, where it comes into contact with waterfowl.

Avian strains commingle with swine strains.

As a result, resistance to these drugs is passed onto strains that can infect humans.

-----------------------------------
Treatment Options (BUHNER)

Mild infection: At the first sign of the virus, tingling or soreness in your throat, take elderberry syrup or tincture.

Alternatively, juice 1-2 pounds of fresh ginger root (dried will NOT work).

Take 3-4 ounces of this.

Add the juice of 1/4 of a lime, a large tablespoon of honey and 1/8 tsp of cayenne to 6 ounces of hot water.

Drink 2-6 cups daily.

Either of these will usually end the infection within a few days.

If not, it will still be useful by thinning the mucus, and slowing the spread of the virus in the body and helping protect mucous membranes from damage.

-----------------------------------------
Moderate to severe infection:

There are three main formulations: (1) antiviral, (2) ginger juice tea and (3) immune complex.

When combined, these formulations are most effective.

-------------------------------
Anti-viral tincture formulation

Equal parts of Chinese skullcap, isatis, licorice, houttuynia, lomatium, red root, yerba santa elephant tree, osha and either inmortal or pleurisy root.

In 80 – 100 proof vodka.

It does not say this in the book, but because you have so many herbs in the formulation, I would use about half of the herbs to half of the vodka.

For moderate infections use 60 drops or 3 ml (a little over a half teaspoon) every hour

For severe infections use 1-2 teaspoons every hour

Brussels
Member # 13480

Ginger tea

Juice 1-2 pounds of fresh ginger root (dried will NOT work).

Take 3-4 ounces, and add the juice of 1/4 of a lime, a large tablespoon of honey and 1/8 tsp of cayenne to 6 ounces of hot water.

Drink 2-6 cups daily.

---------------------------------------
Immune Complex tincture formulation

Equal parts of astragalus, cordyceps and rhodiola. Same protocol as the anti-viral tincture formula.

For moderate infections use ½ tsp 3x daily
For severe infections use 1-2 teaspoons 6x daily

------------------------------------
Cough syrup recipe

Any or as many of the herbs below as you like:

3 oz horehound
2 oz cherry bark
2 oz elderberry
2 oz elcampane
2 oz licorice
2 oz mallow (or marshmallow)
1 oz Russian or slippery elm bark
1 oz vervain
1 oz lomatium (or osha)
7 pints water
3 oz glycerin
Wildflower honey
2 oz mullein tincture
1 oz yerba santa tincture

Combine the horehound, cherry bark, elderberries elcampane, licorice, mallow, elm bark, vervain and half the lomatium (or osha) in 7 pints of water in a large pot.

Bring to boil, stirring frequently as it heats to prevent sticking.

Once it boils, reduce heat and let simmer, stirring constantly until liquid is reduced by half.

Remove from heat and let it cool. Strain the liquid, mashing the plant matter to remove as much of the liquid as you can.

Warm the liquid again, just enough to dissolve the honey (to taste) and glycerin.

Grind the remaining lomatium (or osha) to a fine powder and add it to the liquid, then add the mullein and yerba santa tinctures.

Store in the refrigerator. This should keep for one year easily.

Take as needed.

There is MUCH more to this book than just the information I have summarized – pages and pages on influenza alone – not even counting other respiratory infections, encephalitis, cytomegalovirus, dengue, shingles, etc.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you guys are on it with all the herbal treatments! Tick borne encephilitis (spelling?) is happening throughout Europe which I believe is a virus, as well.

I don't have alot of time or energy to research all this stuff like I used to. It's good to know. I think we all know we have to try to stay the hell away from ticks as best as we can. Unfortunately, a walk in the woods can lead to death.

The ticks are everywhere, though. I gotten them on me just going outside to do minor errands.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement