LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Solution for severe brain fog

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Solution for severe brain fog
Lymedad123
Member # 50647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedad123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone, Does anyone have a good solution for very severe brain fog, which is happening during Lyme treatment?
Posts: 16 | From Southern Ontario | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The better the liver can be supported usually the better the brain can manage. And the better nutrients we can give our cells / our bodies, also the better our brain might join the club.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=036235;p=0

Chlorella & Spirulina - Information Links

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Gluten - in wheat, kamut (and other "early" wheats) . . . in spelt, rye, barley can cause brain fog for some when going through lyme, too.

More detail here:

Certain Foods, Food Additives to consider as brain foggers, so to speak

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors (that are not likely natural at all).

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. According to Dr. H., #1 lyme doc in the U.S., the key to getting rid of brain fog is to get rid of inflammation. Lyme causes lots of inflammation, including in the brain. This results in low blood flow to the brain. Hence, the brain fog.

See these notes I took from a recent talk of Dr. H:

1:18 You must check the red blood cells for low minerals (magnesium, copper, zinc) or the inflammation will continue. [My note: in other words, a regular blood test will not discover these. You need the red blood cell test instead.]

1:19:30 He gave 2 grams of glutathione daily to get rid of brain fog in a computer programmer and after that, the patient could work again. So, just detoxing him enabled him to get back to work.

1:22 Low Vitamin D is associated with MS (the patient will have the wrong ratio of 125 to 25 Vitamin D) This indicates inflammation.

1:24:21 The more viruses (CMV, HSV-1) and bacteria (including Bb, c. pneumonia, H. pylori) in your brain, the greater your chances of getting Alzheimer’s. If you can shut down the inflammatory process, the symptoms will get better.

1:26 To lower inflammation: Use plaquenil, IVIG, antioxidants, CoQ10, glutathione precursors, B vitamins, ALA, omega 3s, glutathione. He uses green tea extract, curcumin, resveratrol and broccoli seed extract. The broccoli seed extract also hits cancer genes. He likes it. Cancer runs in his family, so he takes it.

1:26:40 LDN 1:27 Eat an anti-inflammatory diet (use either Paleo or Mediterranean), replace your minerals, treat all infections, detox, avoid foods you are allergic to, and get your sleep as additional ways to lower inflammation.

Here is the post so you can see the video for yourself:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=136070;p=0#000007

Believe me, getting the inflammation down is key in lyme and lyme treatment. It takes a real expert to help the patient get it down as much as possible.

If the patient cannot detoxify well (1/4 can't), then lots of detox is necessary. Glutathione (over the counter, but prescription is better) is one of many things to help the person detoxify.

Do as many of the anti-inflammatory things as you can.

The numbers in my notes tell you the minute and second at which the subject is addressed on the video.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
TF,

great post. Do you have a glutathione brand that you recommend?

Lymedad123,

Often, most kinds of liver support will "help" the liver make its own glutathione - though not with dramatic results as glutathione itself during a really rough time.

Also be aware that acetaminophen blocks glutathione not only in the liver but in all the body's cells, too.

And, be sure not to confuse glutathione (the antioxidant)

with this stimulating amino acid: glutamine, glutamic acid or L-glutamine - they are worlds apart (as that can be like a sickening rocket fuel that will zoom one around the moon with the kinds of adrenal exhaustion issues most with lyme have - it's best avoided in supplements).

If trying to super charge the brain, best to avoid any kinds of stimulants or energy drinks or supplements that promise a boost in energy that most often really "wire" and "crash".

Adrenal support better balance.
-

MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think when we say brain fog, many of us agree that is a huge problem. However I am wondering if brain fog is the symptom and the cause is ...? Is it Lyme, Bart, the inflammation from the bugs or the bugs dying from the antibiotics or herbs?

Or is it the veins coming out of the head getting modestly crimped so that the circulation and then getting oxygen back to the brain is hampered. This is a reason for several Lyme patients getting CCSVI treatment.

I have been reading several posts by Dr. K, Dr. R in Seattle, and several others discuss the damage that inflammation does and how they treat it. Most docs use curcumin or a curcumin compound along with the other supplements listed in the above posts. One of the first recommendations from the doc I am seeing now is to reduce inflammation,

I am taking several different types of curcumin supplements that are supposed to reduce inflammation; Meriva, CBD Oil with curcumin, a curcumin and turmeric tincture, and a skin cream so that the curcumin can get in the body without going through the digestive system.

I was taking curcumin before my initial visit with the new doc two months ago but he said it was not near enough. So far a modest improvement is achiness but not much on the brain fog yet. However I realize this may take quite a while and I just need to give it a good 4 to 6 month trial. I concur that liver support is huge and I have been taking a liposomal glutathione for about 4 months also.

I am currently rifing and using the herbalist Mr. B's herbal protocol.

Also just heard Dr K talk about a new test using an ultrasound machine. He said that he and another doc are releasing a paper in one of the medical journals this month. Said that he thinks it might be covered for many if they use Lab Corp. Said that it works very well for chronic infections which is often so hard to test for!

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had brain fog for years.

The only thing I have found to help somewhat is a combo of NAC by solgar( 6oo mg I think) and molybdenum by solgar.

It will clear my head some at best but I find it does work fats,I notice results within a half hour.

I often do two doses a day if Im really bad.

Ive had no luck with charcoal,milk thistle,clay

Constipation will cause me great brain fog,keep things moving.

Stay away from all artificial sugars,use only stevia.

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, I don't have a brand of glutathione that I recommend, but in 2013 a patient of Dr. H. said that he recommends the following:

Oral glutathione (Essential Pro) 6-8 caps at once, repeat as needed, up to 3x/day

When I was treating lyme, I didn't have trouble detoxing, so I never needed glut in any form. I would say I was fortunate. I didn't have brain fog, but I had memory problems, word finding problems, and a few episodes of derealization.

I had 2 UBOs (unidentified bright objects) show up on the MRI of my brain. The report said these were most likely due to low blood flow to those area.

Good lyme and coinfection treatment turned this all around for me. Praise God!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Lymedad, to find out if detoxing will solve the brain fog problem, your lyme doc should give the patient 2 grams of IV glutathione at the start of the office visit. This is what Dr. H does with all his patients.

Then, if the person's brain fog clears within minutes with that treatment, he knows to prescribe the liposomal glut for the patient to take daily. That is what he did with the computer programmer patient he had who hadn't worked for a couple of years.

The glut taken daily got him back to work. Hope it works for you.

Some patients say the oral glut doesn't work for them. In that case, they can be prescribed IV glut daily. People can learn to give it to themselves in their hand. There is a YouTube video showing a teenager doing it to himself.

A safer, less drastic option, is to get a prescription for glut suppositories. I understand from one person that these work nearly as well as the IV. You use one each night. Very easy.

If your doc doesn't know about these options, that probably indicates that you need a doc with more expertise.

Lymedad123
Member # 50647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedad123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone for the great posts. In some cases the information confirmed some of the approaches we have in motion; in other cases it provide insight into additional emphasis that we should be placing on specific treatments.
Most of all, it is encouraging to understand that others are dealing with the same problems and finding solutions.
Thanks again to all of you for the very detailed and informative responses to our question.

Lymedad123

Posts: 16 | From Southern Ontario | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia treatment Zithromax, Mepron, rotated crypto with artimisinin. Heparin, bolouke.
Also, rotated anti-parasitics, prescriptions and herbs.

Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement