LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Insurance question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insurance question
Freelifetina
Member # 50711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freelifetina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently found a tick very soon after it must have attached(1-2 hours)It was very flat. Still I decided to get tested.

I just read this post on lymenet about not using your real name and that some companies deny coverage even if you have had Lyme.

So I am wondering if I should call my pcp and ask him to bill me directly instead of going thru my insurance. And also should I pay for the lab test directly out of pocket instead of going thru insurance so that insurance does not have any knowledge about it. Can suspicion of Lyme create problem for me to get insurance coverage later ?

Posts: 15 | From San jose | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes several weeks for borrelia(lyme) antibodies to show up in the blood test.

Sometimes our bodies never make the antibodies. So even with all the clinical symptoms, the test can show negative. Testing is very unreliable.

The warning on using your real name is in reference to this website. One should be careful on websites and avoid giving info on yourself.

Insurance companies are no longer allowed to deny coverage due to pre-existing illness. Don't worry about the doctor going thru your insurance for this testing.

Insurance companies only get picky/nasty when a patient goes out-of-network in order to find a LLMD (lyme literate medical doctor).

When one becomes acute or chronically ill and their primary MD can't or won't treat Lyme & co, is when you would want to get yourself to a LLMD.

Did you have a bullseye rash? Are you having flu-like symptoms? Are you feeling some symptoms that are concerning?

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Freelifetina
Member # 50711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freelifetina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any symptoms yet. My pcp did not feel inneed to get tested but he was willing to give me a test if I wanted.

Sorry if my questions sound a little stupid. I am nee to the US and still trying to understand how insurance works. I have a high deductible plan so I will anyway be paying for this out of pocket till I meet the deductible. Which is why when I read the post about not using real name I started to worry about having problems with insurance later. I could pay directly and remove insurance from the Picture all together. Only problem is that it will then not count towards my deductible.

When that post said that some companies will refuse to give you coverage if you have ever had Lyme, what is it referring to ?

Thank you again for your answers

Posts: 15 | From San jose | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure which post you are referring to, but that information is inaccurate under today's health care laws. I wouldn't worry about it.
Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Freelifetina
Member # 50711

I am referring to the sticky note posted that says don't give your real name.

I reread it and my bad.. it said some life insurance companies will not give coverage of ever had Lyme.

Does anyone have more information about that

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah that makes sense, I could see life insurance companies denying coverage.

There is guaranteed acceptance life insuance, where they take you no matter what. If you die within the first two or three years though, they don't pay.

I'm actually thinking about buying one of those policies. I've already been denied regular life insurance.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Freelifetina
Member # 50711

Oh. Have you been denied because of Lyme ?
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

At the time I didn't know what I had. The only diagnosis I had was POTS, which typically isn't dangerous, just unpleasant. Still, they denied me coverage.

That was almost three years ago, I haven't tried again since then. I just recently learned about guaranteed acceptance life insurance.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sticky note is about not using your real name on this very public board. Too many sign up here with their REAL NAME as their screen name. That is not wise.

When you see the doctor, it is fine to have them bill your insurance. I sure would not want to pay out of pocket any more than I had to.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was denied Life insurance because of Lyme diagnosis.

You mentioned you are not be familiar with our system. Life insurance is money for when someone passes away.

Life insurance companies will deny for any illness that could be life threatening, or causes those to be at risk for other illnesses due to Lyme disease.

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Freelifetina
Member # 50711

Thank you pam. I initially misread it as medical insurance being refused which got me worried.

Where do life insurance companies get our medical history from ? Can they get it from our medical insurance or we have to supply it ourselves

[ 08-03-2017, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Freelifetina ]

map1131
Member # 2022

Yes, they can get medical records from your doctor. If they find that you lied on application they can raise your rates & even terminate the policy.

Pam

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement