LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » iv stress test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iv stress test
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
because of my recent two day stay in hospital for hypertension crisis, my doctor wants me to pursue this stress test.

I had the ct scan, echo, xrays, and all were negative but he feels with history and all I still should have it.

last one was in 2014 when I had colon surgery.

apparently this is not the treadmill test but its done by iv injection which speeds up the heart.

my sister had her heart attack during this kind of test and actually flatlined on them. tough time for family. so I'm a little concerned.

has anybody had one?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
What's the name of the drug? In your research of it, remember to look beyond just the manufacturer's detail on the drug, though first study that well.

Unless you have a LLMD who is absolutely expert in lyme / TBD to guide you as to if the drug(s) would be okay for someone with chronic lyme,

I would never feel comfortable that the typical doctors who do this - even if cardiologists - would know enough about a person with lyme to safely do it -- or know all the ramifications.

As to otherwise be proactive for heart health, the book / articles by a cardiologist, Dr. Sinatra, is a good place to begin.

Yet, because lyme so affects the heart, a good LLMD &/or the writing of LLMDs on this topic are key to a proactive approach that includes but also goes far beyond diet / nutrients.

[ 08-10-2017, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
you say: " . . . my sister had her heart attack during this kind of test and actually flatlined on them. . . ."

You are much more likely to have the same reaction.

The highly likely family / genetic similarities in how your liver would metabolize / handle such Rx would sure have me say "never" -- it would seem a doctor would also take your sister's serious reaction as a contraindication .

IMO, stress tests can be very dangerous for those whose bodies just don't tolerate stress well - and many with chronic lyme have clear reasons to avoid such stressors.

But it's also about time that doctors start to understand not all bodies metabolize drugs the same way. Genetics plays a part as does personal history with various illnesses. Lyme changes so much about the way the body works (or does not).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's my thought exactly. this last episode, where my bp was 253/143, could not be explained other than stress. unexplained stress, absolutely no reason other than internalizing something.

I am gravely concerned over a test where they drug my heart to stimulate it. I'd rather do the treadmill but am told it's obsolete.

my sister ended up with a stent and heart damage.

frankly, I'm scared to death of this. but the doctor told me the cat scan, echogram, etc, do not show blocked arteries or plaque.

I dont know who to believe but my gut says no way.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no choice other than the IV. The first time I was on the tread mill, I collapsed.

I told them to stop it that I was about to collapse. They just looked at me and down I went.

With research gathering I remember that I consumed handfuls of chlorella for a couple days after.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is what the doctor is suggesting called a nuclear stress test?

If so, I had that this February. I was very concerned because I was & am so debilitated, I didn't know if I could handle it. And then, I ended up spending the whole previous night in the ER due to symptoms like

a heart attack, due to being given IVIG way too fast (sorry, not relevant here).

Anyway, the IV they gave me, I believe, was a dye for the scan, not something to speed up the heart. So check to see what the name of the test is, and precisely what the IV drug is. Then, research that.

If it is what gave your sister a heart attack, then, it does not sound good.

Why, oh, why is this stuff all so difficult all the time for us?? Well, I know why, but it's too blasted hard.

Oh, and PS, your high BP that you had sounds REALLY scary!! Who knows, was that caused by stress, or the effects of Lyme & co on your autonomic nervous system or both? Quite possibly both. Sigh. I wish you had a good LLMD available.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumi .. No, the nuclear test is something else....much more benign than the test with the stuff that stimulates the heart.

Randi.. I think the test you are talking about is the one where they can decide if you need an angiogram .. which is when they would see if your arteries are blocked.

I don't see how they can tell FOR SURE if your arteries are clear or not without it...but .. if the cardiologist is saying you have no blockages, then ask WHY DO I NEED THIS TEST.

I've had the IV stimulation twice. Not fun .. but I did "OK."

I'm with you .. I would be very concerned about doing it if a family member went OUT while doing the same test. Then there is your high BP.

Keep in mind, though, that a heart blockage could be CAUSING the high BP and they need to get it unblocked if that is the case.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, if they wanted to look for blockages, I'd be asking for a coronary angiogram. I had one to check my explained heart episodes. Quick and painless, and no blockages.

They also tested me for a pheochromocytoma. Might be something to consider. Mine has turned out to be "just Lyme" though.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

ok update.....correction....this is what you get with my family when you have three sisters.

one sister has had two nuclear with the drug and no problem. she had a problem with the treadmill cause they turned it up too fast. then they decided it was bad and gave her the nuclear right after. then she started vomiting and ended up in the hospital. but it was not a reaction to the drug.

okkk, other sister failed the treadmill. they decided to put a stent in and injected her with dye that she's allergic to. then she flatlined from that!!!! she never had nuclear.

apologies for confusion. heck, I was confused!!!!
but sister said our history you'd better get it done. the one sister had a 90 percent blockage.

well at least I know....thanks for your replies and patience.

now if I can deal with his prostate....

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This would be just a start to personal research. Just a start. Next, I'd want to know other ways to obtain the information, other test with fewer risks, etc. And then there are still questions beyond that - best to consider from many different sources.

* be aware that this is radioactive dye *

and, while not stated in links below, this can be stimulating to some individuals

* research the risks & frequency of such beyond what just one source cites *

You might find out if there is some kind of test you do, say application to skin, first to test whether you might be allergic to it.

* liver / kidneys - what do you need to know to prepare or do afterward?

Might this be the dye your sister said she had an allergic reaction to? If so, genetic similarities could be a tipping point for how your body might react.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/nuclear-stress-test/basics/definition/prc-20012978

Nuclear Stress Test - Mayo Clinic

. . . measures blood flow to your heart at rest and while your heart is working harder as a result of exertion or medication. The test provides images that can show areas of low blood flow through the heart and damaged heart muscle. . . .

. . . involves injecting a radioactive dye into your bloodstream . . . .

. . . A nuclear stress test may also be used to guide your treatment if you've been diagnosed with a heart condition.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/nuclear-stress-test/basics/why-its-done/prc-20012978

Why It's Done

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/nuclear-stress-test/basics/risks/prc-20012978

Risks

. . . nuclear stress test is generally safe, and complications are rare. But, as with any medical procedure, it does carry a risk of complications, including:

* Allergic reaction. You could be allergic to the radioactive dye that's injected into a vein in your hand or arm during a nuclear stress test, but this is rare and reactions are usually mild.

* Abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias).
Arrhythmias brought on either by exertion or the medication used during a stress test usually go away shortly after you stop exercising or the medication wears off. Life-threatening arrhythmias are rare.

* Heart attack (myocardial infarction). Although extremely rare, it's possible that a nuclear stress test could cause a heart attack.

* Flushing sensation or chest pain. These symptoms can occur when you are given a medication to stress your heart if you're unable to exercise adequately. These symptoms are usually brief, but tell your doctor if they occur.
-

[ 08-10-2017, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You say: " . . . this last episode, where my bp was 253/143, could not be explained other than stress. unexplained stress, absolutely no reason other than internalizing something. . . ."

I disagree . . . or, rather, think that assumption can be dangerous. It could be that internalization / overthinking / being emotionally sensitive could be connected with stress, yet . . .

there can be many - many - reasons for this. A few from what I've looked into are below.

It's absolutely vital to come to an understanding of how the various nervous systems - and the endocrine system - play a role in how our bodies can handle stress. And how lyme affects the heart, of course.

There are changes from lyme / other TBD that doctors who do not know about such are just dangerously unaware and unprepared.

It seems that you have not had a LLMD for sometime yet, if possible, you might seek out a very good one for a consult in this matter of your BP.

Lyme / other TBD changes all this but even in those who do not have lyme, I truly wish that people would stop thinking stress reactions are due just to their thinking or being sensitive.

I drank that kool-aid for many years, thinking I just needed to think happier thoughts, etc. I was about as cheerful, considering it all, and positive but the reality was just crushing.

It took me a long time to admit the facts, the physiological facts. My character was not weak, my body was facing various tick borne infections with no help. No amount of shaking off stress with rainbows and sunshine could change that.

And, yes, grounded thinking and clear breathing & relaxation skills matter . . . still . . .

For those with lyme, it's very clear that all kinds of PHYSIOLOGICAL effects of nervous systems functions can go klablooey. And adrenal reactions, too.

Also check with your DEQ about the air quality on the day of and for a few days prior to your incident. AIR POLLUTION can cause the kind of reaction you had in some people. Really.

Air pollution / vehicle exhaust / pavement off-gas issues, being in heavy traffic, has been directly linked to heart attacks & other heart events even that very day of exposure.

Any Rx or OTC you take, check again for connection. Ibuprofen, for example can cause ALL blood vessels to constrict and that can have effect on BP, too.

Best if a LLMD could assess this concern first & then offer suggestions on what to do about it or if other experts in other fields might need to been seen.

Ask the LLMD about any Rx or IV Rx to be considered. Many with lyme can have reactions outside of the norm.
-

[ 08-10-2017, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077325;p=0#000000

CARDIAC INFO & SUPPORT

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT

Educational links
-

randibear
Member # 11290

called danielle. it was an iodine injection. she said she didn't have reactions to most anything but darlena does. she ends up in drs offices for everything.

so I have both sides of coin. arrgghh.

--------------------

gnslday
Member # 50685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnslday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a nuclear test. They lay you on a table and monitor your heart then add a drug to induce a faster heart rate. It was really freaky I must say but as quick as it comes on, it goes away. My EF was 45% so they ended up doing a heart cat also which showed everything was fine. My echo after that showed high 60+%. Everyone is different all I can tell you is I had one and it wasn't that bad.

Ever been checked for Pheochromocytoma? Just a thought

Posts: 7 | From Florida | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.medicinenet.com/pheochromocytoma/article.htm

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement