LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Candida and Carb Counting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Candida and Carb Counting
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the fiber count towards the carb count that feeds candida?

Total carb 15 gm
Fiber 9 gm
Sugar 3 gm

Also the same question regarding "net carbs". Can I subtract that from total carb count?

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
My concern is that many are starving themselves & not getting enough food rich nutrients.

No. Fiber should not be avoided. It is good. It is necessary in so many ways, especially to help the body move out metabolic waste (to "detox").

Fiber is not sugar, more like scruffy plant stuff that is not absorbed by the body. Fiber helps the other real complex carbs work for us. The more fiber, the better a food is on the GLYCEMIC INDEX.

Here's the best way I have found to look at carbohydrates:

The glycemic index matters much more than the carb number.

And being sure there are zero processed, ground or simple sugars in our meals.

We need carbohydrates in good supply, too, in the form of all kinds, colors of food from the plant world. These colors, their nutrients and fiber matter greatly.

Without adequate complex carbohydrates in great variety, our bodies would never be able to manage metabolic waste (and, therefore, would never be able to properly help the liver to "detox").

These calories supply a great deal of our fuel, along with protein and fat (all are required in good balance for a strong body).

It's the processed, simple "carbs" that have sadly give the real honest carbohydrates such a bad name. Some simple carbs can still work when attempting to quell candida, yet it's best to avoid just about anything in a box or package and stick to the produce aisle.

One category that would be in some kind of package: grains and grain-like foods.

Best if gluten free grain-like seeds such at millet, grasses like black rice (which has an excellent glycemic index and is even suggested as good for those with diabetes). There are others, too, like quinoa, buckwheat groats.

Such food supply good nutrients, antioxidants and fiber, that ever so vital fiber. Our colons are helped a lot by these foods.

Best when these gluten-free grains and grain-like foods are in moderation with veggies being the star of any meal or snack.

Take a look at that GLYCEMIC INDEX.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=32

What Is the ­Glycemic Index (GI)?

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=7

A New Way of Looking at Proteins, Fats and Carbohydrates
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Olive Leaf Extract was something that totally brought candida under control for me - even when I was on antibiotics for a couple months. I did start before the antibiotics so that was of help.

At one time years ago, Diflucan was the only thing that helped. I had not yet heard of OLE. Later, I found that SEAGATE OLE was just as good and with less side effects and liver risk, no other brands of OLE worked like that for me.

Thanks to OLE, I was able to eat fruit again, dark berries and cherries, with a good glycemic index . . . a small amount AFTER a good meal.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links
-

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I read about these pre-made foods with high carb count but fiber, they do mention how great they are for diabetic people.

I asked the initial question because I had to fly across country and the only food that I could come up with was a "healthy" protein bar which had the nutritional information above.

I have seen you bring up OLE before. Were you on abx when you started the OLE and if so did it clear up the candida and keep it under control?

Have you ever used or heard of Vitafiber? It looks like and interesting product to use as a sweetener.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The time I was last on antibiotics (for two months) I started OLE several days before I touched the antibiotic. I took OLE 4 x day, four tablets each = 16 a day and never had any trouble at all with candida. It was amazing as I'd had so much trouble most of my life from frequent abx use from "mystery" recurrent infections (prior to lyme diagnosis).

Oh, yeah, when you are traveling, processed food generally is part of the deal. You might get a couple cans of sardines if you have any layovers. You can eat straight from the can - away from people - trash the can and clean up before getting back on flight. This really helped me with a trip a while back.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If you copy the link for Vitafiber . . . directly from the manufacturer's own website and copy the list of ingredients, that would be helpful for comments.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://bioneutra.ca/products/

Vitafiber ?

I went ahead. If this is it, I say no, avoid it, because it does not list the ingredients, it's too vague and they have more detail about "investment" opportunities than about what's actually in the product.

Again, rather than go with manufactured "food" products, go for real food, even with travel, there are ways. Sardines mentioned above. Anchioves (sp?) too. I know they smell - so that is why only on stop overs away from others - but these little fish are power packed.

Wild Planet are good quality and the lids easy to open, won't cut. Pack plastic bag, napkin, spoon).

Instead of that fancy "vitafiber" You would do better with just a some Spirulina or Chlorella tablets for fiber and some nutrients from real food.

A jar of cashew or macadamia butter would be better. ARTISANA has some nut butter in soft 2 serving packets for travel. See VitaCost.com to find those. Just do not take peanuts on any travels due to that being a frequent allergen for others.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Call your airline and ask what foods from home you are allowed to take on board for the start of your trip. You can freeze some, perhaps, so they are safe by the time you eat them just be careful of the timing of some foods.

For layovers, check the real food restaurants in the airports and the concourses where you will be. You might call ahead with arrangements.
-

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Yes you have the right stuff.

https://www.vitafiberimo.com/

I am not really using it as a fiber substitute but more as a liquid sweetener when needed. I used it once to make protein bars by mixing it with protein powder. Convenient when nothing else is available, I am out of healthy protein bars and I am starving.

I eat pretty well despite having to make and shop for 3 separate meals to accommodate all the diets in my house. Hence the need for the occasional non healthy quick food that is not as bad as other stuff I could be eating. Sorry cant do the anchovies or sardine and unfortunately nuts are setting my jaw pain off again. They used to be the go to snack.

I love this time of year though with all the organic fresh produce around.

Anyway thanks for all your help and info.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Nut BUTTERS - no chewing required - come in travel squeeze packets - Artisana has some very good choices. VitaCost or iHerb or your local market may have them.

Why not use a good stevia as a sweetener. At least then you know exactly what it is that you are consuming. I could not find any ingredient list for that VitaFiber, could you?
-

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Nut butters are a great idea! I need something liquidy to bind. Hence the vitafiber. I will have to experiment or look on the internet to see what I can come up with.

I can also eat it plain. Thanks!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement