LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PPI input, I gotta take one, Diflucan interaction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PPI input, I gotta take one, Diflucan interaction
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I've consulted with my llmd and a regular doc, and both agree I need to take a PPI for my gastritis.

Do any of you have advice or input on a particular PPI?

I have a major concern because all the PPI's blood levels are increased by Diflucan, which I have to take because of my oral thrush. If any of you have successfully used a PPI and Diflucan together, I'd love to hear how it went for you.

Thanks everybody, I'm stressing over this one!

[ 09-09-2017, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: SickSam ]

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had bleeding in my stomach & the upper part of my small intestine a few years ago (unknown cause).

My GI doc prescribed a short course of carafate & then I took several months of high dose Prilosec (omeprazole). It was 40mg twice daily.

Honestly, the omeprazole helped tremendously. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to take it if needed.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome input, thanks Sammy! We're those the only two things you used to treat the bleed? I recently tried carafate, but I had a hard time working all four doses into my daily medicine schedule.
Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sam, I'm sorry that I cannot remember what other meds I might have been taking at that time. I just remember the combo of carafate & omeprazole as I've had extended courses of it several times.

I do have a suggestion on how to get the treatment you need & eliminate interactions.

As you've learned, when you take any kind of acid lowering medication, it will greatly reduce the absorption of your anti fungal meds.

I have such a severe immunodeficiency, its rediculous. So fungal/ yeast infections (of the skin) are a constant problem for me. My body cannot even detect the presence of it so cannot fight fungus at all.

I'm not currently taking omeprazole (have RX in case of need...) but I do take 2 (40mg) tablets of Pepcid twice daily. I have super bad Mast Cell Disease.

So I desperately need my humongous amounts of Mast Cell meds & also have equal desperate need for powerful antifungal treatment (oral & topical). Thankfully I have a wonderful dermatologist who actually cares & will do whatever it takes to help me.

I'm so grateful, she found out that I could take my high dose famotidine (Pepcid) twice daily & it would'nt reduce the effectiveness of my Liquid Sporonox dose.

My sporanox dose is twice daily (double normal recommended dose).

Sam, maybe you'd do well to give diflucan a break & take liquid Sporonox for a couple months. (It doesn't come in generic liquid.) Sporanox is generally more powerful & more broad spectrum so may help you more.

Hope that helps!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

FYI, Sporanox liquid tastes terrible so if you have nausea, ask pharmacy to flavor for you. Grape or strawberry syrup works best to mellow it out.
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Be sure to guard against c. diff. as PPI can put one at risk for that. And, there are some other ways to consider. Detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/36018?#000000

PPIs - Proton Pump Inhibitors - Cautions - Links set
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Thanks for the great ideas Sammy. I'm glad you posted how much pepcid you take. I'm taking 20mg 2x a day right now, and I've thoughts anout increasing. It helped a lot at first, but doesn't seem to be helping as much now.

The liquid sporanox is a thought too. With my heart problems though, the possibly of sporanox causing congestive heart failure does concern me. I think it increases blood levels of the ppis too, just like diflucan.

Keebler, thanks for the warnings. I take s. Boulardii to guard against C. Diff. I'm worried my stomach may start to bleed (or possibly is already bleeding), so I think I'm gonna have to try a short course of a PPI since it's gotten so bad.

WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nexium
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Started Nexium tonight. I only took a few of the little balls from the inside of the capsule. I always start with small amounts to make sure I don't have a negative reaction. The balls are time-released, not the actual capsule, so its OK to open them up.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Nexium.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Good to hear Lymetoo, y'all have given me a lot of encouragement just knowing that you all have used them. I don't know why I've been so scared of them. I'm gonna take more today.

[ 09-14-2017, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: SickSam ]

sammy
Member # 13952

Hey Sam,

Hope I can quick clarify some things here for you.

I do take 80mg famotidine (Pepcid) twice daily.

My prescription basically says: take (2) tablets 40mg famotidine, twice daily

This medication & dosage has been prescribed to me by my experienced medical team. I am monitored very closely & follow- up frequently with my medical team.

***Please see a doctor if you need or would like to try this medication, or dosage above what is recommended.***

Mast Cell diseases are no joke. They aren't something that just kinda annoys you. No, Mast Cell diseases are real life monsters, always present, lying in wait, ready to pop into your life at any moment, to steal your breath & stop your heart.

You can't treat Mast Cell disease on your own. Inexperienced providers will risk your life while unable to care for you.

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Thanks for the info Sammy. I wouldn't try to treat Mast Cell disease on my own, I really do appreciate your concern in regards to that.

Currently I'm mostly concerned with using H2 blockers and PPIs to treat my gastritis, although I have been given a MCAD protocol to follow by Dr. J in MD, who frequently treats the disorder. I would never go to a dose of pepcid that high without consulting a doctor. Currently I'm taking 20mg 2x a day.

My disease isn't something that "just kinda annoys" me. I cannot even sit in a chair, my suffering is beyond what even most Lyme patients can imagine. I have so much inflammation around my heart that it is literally compressing my esophagus and the blood vessels in my chest, restricting blood flow. It is very possible that I have MCAD, as Dr. J suspects.

I know you have had your share of unusual and severely debilitating problems too. How have you been lately? I hope you're doing well!

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am confused by the interaction between Diflucan and any drugs that lower stomach acid.

Maybe I am reading this thread wrong but it sounds like I could take pepcid and diflucan. Only reason I think this could be is because pepcid wears off within the day. I then would take the diflucan when stomach acid has increased.

One website said to take anti-fungal 2 hours before meds that reduce stomach acid. However if you are on something like nexium or protonix dont those lower stomach acid for a few days?

Meaning they take a couple days to start to work but when you remove them your stomach acid doesn't immediately rebound.

I also read somewhere to drink apple cider vinegar or lemon juice 15 minutes before taking diflucan which would temporarily create an acid stomach.

So how or what do I take that lowers stomach PH but doesn't interfere with diflucan?

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

So there are two different interactions here:

1) Diflucan increases the serum concentrations of PPIs
2) Reduced stomach acid may potentially reduce the absorption of diflucan, according to some sources.

I was primarily concerned about #1, which doesn't apply to Pepcid, since pepcid is an H2 blocker, not a PPI.

For what if's worth, I also take pepcid with diflucan, and diflucan is still just as effective as it always has been, so interaction #2 doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

A question though: are you sure you want to lower your stomach ph? If it weren't for my ulcer I wouldn't do it.

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could you use coconut oil as another way to deal with oral thrush? Coconut oil is supposed to be anti-fungal.
Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will never take a PPI again. I started on one in 2006 and got off of Nexium in 2013.

PPI's are terrible. Most people have reflux becase they don't have enough stomach acid...not because they ahve too much.

I now supplement with Betaine HCL with Pepsin before every meal and I've never been better. That's right...I actually take MORE HCL.

PPI's are bad. Get off of them. They lead to parasite infestation, SIBO, leaky gut and I'm a firm believer I crashed with Lyme due to gut issues due to low stomach acid.

THe latest research shows a crazy amount of your immune system is in your gut. Don't ruin it with PPI's.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to get off of the PPIs but I don't know how to test to see if I need more acid or not.

I had read about taking HCL for reflux so I ordered it and received it today. I figured I would take it and see what happens.

I also don't have a gall bladder and was wondering if I should have ordered bile salts instead. Oh well since I have the HCL I will give the it a try.

The ph of my water is 9 so it is extremely alkaline. From the internet, it looks like reverse osmosis, which I have, lowers the PH. To what I don't know. I am not sure if this matters or not regarding my issue.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissVictoria
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissVictoria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take DGL Plus by Pure Encapsulations. I very highly recommend it. It's a dgl licorice supplement combined with other herbs that are soothing to the stomach. I also have gastritis and an ulcer, and this supplement helps heal both by increasing the good mucous in the stomach so that less acid is produced. It also is healthy for the body, unlike PPIs. I take it 30 minutes before meals and it helps me digest my food so that I'm not in pain after I eat.
Posts: 241 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement