LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » more tests???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: more tests???
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the cardio doc says I need the following

hepatitis testing
tetanus shot
zoster shot
pneumonia shot

what the crap???? I hate shots and with lyme I don't think these are necessary.

do you?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO SHOTS FOR ME .. He is just telling you what the "powers that be" recommend. You know ... like the CDC and the NIH.

I've read that baby boomers need to be checked for Hep C .. but if you've never had unprotected sex, never did intravenous drugs, never had a blood transfusion .. then it's your discretion that will decide.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You don't say if they are wanting to check a certain strain of infection - or check for the presence of the condition - inflammation of the liver.

If they are checking for the condition of hepatitis, like with a liver ultrasound or other non-invasive tests, it's a good idea since lyme can cause hepatitis, various other infections, can, too.

And so can many medications (and especially if an infection is also on board).

It would be good to know if your liver is inflamed or not as, if it is, there are various things that could help. If it is inflamed, there are also many other things that should be avoided.

If there is inflammation of the liver, that could explain fatigue and trouble with exercise, too (among other things).

Hep C - they are just doing their job with this and it might not be so bad to just get that test so they have it and won't be asking at every exam from now on.

It's a good idea they have thought of this, actually, and there should be no stigma as we don't know all we might about whether one might have had some kind of exposure unknowingly.

Hepatitis A - foodborne - you might read up and see if that can cause chronic illness without a very acute illness first with clear signs that would have taken you to doctor. If so, if it could be quieter, that might be good to check.

Hepatisis E, too, perhaps read up for the same questions - as that can be foodborne and you have traveled out of the country.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you have had a tetanus shot within the past 30 years (yes, thirty years), you would not need another one. See that article in the set below.

Every time you step foot in a medical visit, they will suggest vaccines of some kind or another.

You may already have your "personal statement" that would be firm and decisive and let them know where you stand, more so than just if you might tell them that you "hate shots" because of lyme.

They are not going to understand that and just hear that you don't like shots. Whatever you decide, whether about some or all, there may be some suggestions here for a simple direct phrase that would work next time you are asked.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131625;p=0

VACCINE INGREDIENTS - Informational Links set
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
That post I referenced from links set above:

Aside from the matters of discussion of the vaccine thread, on a separate aspect, some good news from those who work with vaccines:

https://news.ohsu.edu/2016/03/22/study-shows-tetanus-shots-needed-every-30-years-not-every-10

Tetanus & Diphtheria shots needed every 30 years, not ten.

Oregon Health & Sciences University - March 22, 2016

on a different aspect:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/tetanus-vaccine-causes-a-new-disease-known-as-antiphospholipid-syndrome/

Tetanus Vaccine Causes a New Disease Known as Antiphospholipid Syndrome

by Heidi Stevenson - January 29, 2013

Excerpt:

. . . Why New Generation Vaccines Are Especially Worrisome . . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I was curious about possible Hep C transmission during medical or dental procedures. While certainly not a full look at it, and most clinics are good with cleaning equipment, a few examples:

http://www.dentaleconomics.com/articles/print/volume-103/issue-12/practice/hepatitis-c-transmission-confirmed-in-a-dental-setting.html

Hepatitis C Transmission Confirmed in a Dental Setting

12/18/2013

by Mary Govoni, CDA, RDA, RDH, MBA

. . . Although the CDC was able to match the viruses of two of the patients through genetic testing, they may never be able to determine how the transmission took place.

The suspected routes of transmission are improperly sterilized instruments and the use of unsterile needles in multiple dose medication vials. The good news is that there have not been any previously reported cases in dentistry. The bad news is that this occurred. . . .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23567025

Hepatitis C virus transmission during colonoscopy evidenced by phylogenetic analysis.

J Clin Virol. 2013

. . . evidence of a person-to-person transmission of HCV during a colonoscopy procedure, and the anesthetic procedure was the most likely source of HCV transmission.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199712183372514#t=article

Transmission of Hepatitis C Virus during Colonoscopy

N Engl J Med 1997
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS ... The herpes zoster would be the shingles shot. It's a live virus in the shot.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geez, last time I got a tetanus booster I was sick for days. same with flu shot. felt like crap.

I jus wonder how much of this is really necessary.

somebody sneezes and I get pneumonia.

I think i'll pass.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/37340?

Autumn Immune Support - to make your kit now
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I always pass on vaccines.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement