LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme and postmenopausal bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and postmenopausal bleeding
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm recently over lyme but still observing and not sure. I thought that when I got over it, my daily postmenopausal light bleeding would stop but it has not.

I'm aware that lyme causes hormone imbalances. Anyone know of the mechanism that would cause this and, of course, how to stop it?

I'm seeing an acupuncturist/ naturopath and I'm aware of progesterone treatment but if there's a natural option without hormones, I'd like to consider it.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Your L.Ac. / N.D. should know about the natural options that would work best for you.

But, as you have to go outside of their office to ask, it sort of shakes my confidence that they are up to speed -- unless maybe you've not had a recent appointment / discussion with them.

If they are all they should be, it's best to have them select the plan for you as it needs to be tailored to your specific variables & they will have the science education behind the plan.

If they are not all they should be:

In the meantime, here's a ND who is well known around the country from her lectures, writings, etc. Her focus is on women's health.

She is not what we would call a LL ND and does not treat lyme, yet I know (from person experience) that she is very well informed about lyme.

As she's not too far from you (she is in Portland, OR, she may well know the best NDs - and even the LL NDs - in your area if you are not quite confident in your current one, just call her office and inquire).

But, if at all possible, it's best if the ND who treats you is LL, as there are just so many unique ways that lyme / tick borne disease interferes. Even if you are "over" lyme (Yippee!) there may be some factors here that a LL ND might best understand.

Good luck finding the solutions to your puzzles. While light bleeding is not all that uncommon for any woman (lyme or not) in early years of menopause, you might find more detail about it in her articles or blog posts / in her book.

http://drtorihudson.com/

Tori Hudson, ND - blog

Program Director, Institute of Women’s Health and Integrative Medicine, Professor, etc.

http://drtorihudson.com/articles/

Articles

http://drtorihudson.com/resourceslinks/

Scroll down for other resources about menopause

https://www.amazon.com/Books-Tori-Hudson/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3ATori%20Hudson

AMAZON BOOKS - Books by Tori Hudson, ND

TOWNSEND LETTER also a good place to search archives for current and past articles on the topic.

http://vitanica.com/

VITANICA - nutrient resources for women's health

http://vitanica.com/supplements/menopause-support/

Vitanica Menopause Support

https://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?N=0&Ntt=Vitanica

Vitanica products at VitaCost.com

https://www.vitacost.com/vitanica-womens-phase-i-premenstrual-support-60-vegetarian-capsules-1

Vitanica Women's Phase I Menopause support

https://www.vitacost.com/vitanica-womens-phase-ii-menopause-support-90-vegetarian-capsules-1

Vitanica Women's Phase II Menopause support
-

[ 10-29-2017, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymenotlite,

So good to hear you are kicking Lyme to the curb.

Keebler,
You must be reading my mind.

I had a hot flash last night that rocked my world. I WAS sleeping then WHAM. It took me 1/2 hour to calm down. Thought I was having a heart attack.

I took my gel cold pack out of freezer and brought it in bed with me.

Just checked out this lady's link you posted. Wow, she is one smart cookie. Already have ways to tackle this ! Gonna read everything she has posted.

Thank you so much for your dedication to lymenet and for helping others. [group hug]

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Bonnie,

Thanks for your kind words & I do hope all this helps. This is my educational process, too.

While I have some different issues and puzzles to solve, I always learn why searching, too. And it helps my brain to recall & organize what I might have previously studied to share.

While you sort out the literature / product choices / experts near you:

Cold socks, too, Bonnie. Lightly dampen some socks and stick them in the freezer for a half hour before putting on as you lie down. Will help bring the heat down from your head / body.

Cold packs on the body can actually increase heat in that part of the body after the ice melts, so to speak - as it increases circulation & is a shock to the system.

But if you can "focus the attention" & support circulation in the soles of the feet, that seems to help more sometimes.

Maybe some lightly cooled clothes on your body to help the skin cool would be less intense than ice packs that increase circulation under the ice packs.

Do not get the cold to a shocking point as that will be like a boomerang to your body regulating hormones.

Be sure your nightwear / sheets are all cotton, no synthetics.

Avoid petrochemicals in any body care products as that can trap in heat, too.
-

[ 10-29-2017, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to you both. Coincidentally my lyme doctor recommended Tori Hudson for the issue so maybe this is the big message in the sky.
Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
My few personal experiences with her / her office have been absolutely excellent. Her lectures are a delight. If there is anyway you could see her, that would be grand. Still, it's a long drive for you.

But, she is a teacher in the best sense and may well have mentored an ND right in your own back yard.

An exam with a good gynecologist would be important to be sure of / rule out any structural issues or other related matters that they would be best to assess or further explore.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If you do think of driving to Portland, keep in mind that since the fires destroyed so many thousands of acres in the Gorge right up next to I-84, as the rains start to come landslides onto the interstate would not be a surprise for many months to come.
-

Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made an appointment with my obgyn.

She knows I have Lyme, changes the subject when I tell her it disrupts every function in the human body.

She prescriped anti-depressive. Said recent studies show off -label use for hot flashes are very promising. She also mentioned meditation. Told her I have concentration issues.

Took 1 of the med she prescriped, had an out of body experience and then a nightmare that night.

Threw them in the garbage.

I also take black cohosh but I think I'm immune to them at this point. Hot flashes do go away but then come back with a vengeance.

My next life I'm coming back as a man or a cat. 😻

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just want to share my experience for what it is worth.

I went through menopause but still had light (very light) monthly bleeding when I had lyme. My gyn kept wanting to do various tests on my uterus because of this bleeding. I wouldn't agree to it because it came regularly every month, just very light.

I got lousy lyme treatment the first 2 years. Then, I switched to a Burrascano type doctor. Right away, I came out of "menopause." My ovaries returned to normal size, and I started producing estrogen, etc. again and having normal periods again.

So, I was in a false menopause for 7 years and on hormone replacement for 7 years because my ovaries completely stopped making estrogen due to lyme disease. But, when I got good lyme treatment, it all went away and I was premenopausal again.

So, the message is that lyme can induce a false menopause with light bleeding, or a false menopause with no bleeding at all.

( I know a girl who stopped having periods completely at age 35, but good lyme treatment brought her periods back. When she stopped treating lyme so she could return to alcoholism, her periods again stopped.)

Good lyme treatment can get everything back to normal again. Lousy lyme treatment may not touch the problem.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement