LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cortisone injections today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cortisone injections today
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going on 5 months of shoulder pain due to a yoga stretch. I finally saw an ortho today as I was concerned I may have torn the rotator cuff.

No rotstor cuff tear on plain x-rays. Since this pain has been going on for a while he gave me the option of cortisone injections. I hesitated but agreed. Nice MD, sympathetic regarding the Lyme.

I received two injections using ultrasound with immediate relief. Obviously I am hoping I did not make a big mistake and end up regretting this.

I am not currently treating but think I will do a course of ABX.

Anyone regretted their cortisone injection?

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/100984?#000000

Topic: what do STEROIDS actually do to those with lyme? Risks, long term damage discussed. Links.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm still trying to recover from the one I had 3 years ago. I was symptom free at the time.
Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why no MRI??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo, MRI was an option but MD didn't feel it was warranted based on exam, plain x-rays, and ultrasound.

For those of you who have taken a cortisone injection, how long did it take to relapse?

More than 48 hours post injections, so far so good.

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You may do fine. I wish you could have had this information well in advance, though, still, time to pull out some support measures.

My experience is that the shot would give me some relief and energy but then later (a week, maybe two) just clobber big time.

I've had many such steroid shots in various joints over time. With most, lyme had not yet been dx but I will say do not believe it if anyone says the shot stays right where they injected it. I fell for that lie twice actually.

A danger during this time is that as steroids can give a false sense of added energy & feeling better, it's easy to overdo and create an exhaustive situation. Be careful.

Same with using that joint. Guard it well. Do not get fooled by the steroid pain relief. It does not mean that the tissue has healed.

If you have a LLMD best to ask them how you might offset potential issues if you start right now.

Just remember that if you do anything to address lyme, it must be both anti-spirochetal as well as anti-cystic form. You mentioned taking antibiotics and those, alone, can make things much worse for much longer as they can create the cystic form hide out en masse.

Be sure to read the links in the thread and then get specific medical advice from someone who knows your case (if possible).

You may be far enough into all this that lyme is no longer a concern (?) but you'd sure want to be on top of it . . . and also keep in mind other ways to approach treatment as the same ole routine of before might not be so effective at this time. This is where a seasoned LLMD would be so nice to consult.

A rife machine - if you have access - might also be a good consideration.

Remember that ANY infections / chronic stealth infections on board can be affected & "woken up" by steroids so if you have others be sure to cover all your bases.

Be sure to support your immune function. Do not boost it, but support it. Mushrooms come to mind. Be sure to get good sleep, etc.

Avoid places where there may be flu floating around. Steroids can dampen immune system for a while.

Lomation / LMD-100 & also Elderberry extract good for immune support.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was asking because my doctor thought I had a torn rotator cuff. MRI revealed it was an inflamed muscle that runs along the top of the arm/shoulder. Took more than a year to correct.

I went to therapy for a year and then went to acupuncture. On my 4th visit, the muscle released its humongous spasm.

I still receive treatment and it's been 18 months now.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X-rays cannot diagnose a torn rotator cuff!! They look at bone.

An MRI would be needed to see if you have a tear, and how bad the tear is, or possibly an ultrasound, although it isn't as definitive as an MRI.

Either body work of some sort (even in physical therapy) can be extremely helpful.

Also, Prolotherapy, although I'd try body work first..

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Lymetoo, Yes, I believe it can take that long. A couple of years ago I had to remove a large shrub. I used large pruners and it took a while. I inflamed my elbow and that lasted for about a year...crazy! Did you feel like you got a lot of benefit from PT?

The MD I saw this week wasn't convinced it was rotator cuff based on my ability to rotate during exam. He did leave the option open and I am okay with that. He does want PT. Ultrasound didn't show anything obvious.

I'm not sure it feels much better but it's hard to tell because I'm still dealing with the invasiveness of the injection. It may simply be like my elbow....take a lot of time to heal.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Once you know all bits and pieces are where they should be, it may be a matter of proper immobilization with well fitting split or shoulder harness of sorts to maintain good posture.

To assess the inner mechanics of it all:

http://www.upledger.com/content.asp?id=26

UPLEDGER INSTITUTE (particular method)

CranioSacral Therapy - that addresses all the bones and structure of the body

[this type is excellent for those with lyme as there is no sudden twisting of the spine or neck - which should never be done with some who deals with lyme where the spine might be infected / inflammed / swollen]

http://www.upledger.com/findapractitioner.asp

FIND A THERAPIST trained in UPLEDGER TECHNIQUE

Some who are trained in this (such as a D.O. or P.T.) may be covered by your insurance.

They would know the best imaging techniques or other diagnostics so that you'd know more specifically what you are dealing with. Also, keep in mind that with lyme, all this becomes more tender and can take longer to heal.

Certain nutrients (magnesium) and herbal supports to address inflammation are key, too. Collagen - Great Lakes has a "clean" collagen supplement.
-

[ 01-25-2018, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
FELDENKRAIS movement technique / body mechanics / erognoics.

Assess sleeping positions, too.

QiGong for movement therapy - but still be mindful not to move parts that should not be moved for now.

As for PT, I found the ULTRASOUND PULSED WARMTH treatments to be very helpful. On top of that immobilizing affected joint(s) was so important, too. Trying too hard to push it or being impatient can rip and tear tender tissue all over again.
-

[ 01-26-2018, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Koo, How are you doing after the injections?

I was recently diagnosed via ultrasound with bursitis and tendonitis along with a small tear in one of my shoulders. Have been trying to self heal for a year.

Fed up and want steroid shot but my llmd said a month of abx before and a month after. I also have mast cell activation so really don't want the abx.

I hope your shoulder is good and no increase in TBI symptoms is happening....

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Unsure .. sorry to hear this. Have you tried eating low (er) oxalates in the diet?

That may help the pain go away.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement