LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Desperate to raise ferritin levels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Desperate to raise ferritin levels
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here for awhile ...

I'm absolutely desperate to raise my ferritin levels. I can't handle any iron supplements (including plant-based). I have SIBO and anything I've tried causes foul-smelling gas and diarrhea.

I have babesia duncani.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!!

Thanks!!!

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Babesia kills the red blood cells at a very fast rate and causes trouble with iron / ferritin and anemia.

Treating Babesia is required to help the red blood cells. I hope you are able to get treatment for that.

In addition - when I could not handle iron pills at all - this worked like a charm to bring my iron / anemia up from lowest of the low:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031228;p=0

STINGING NETTLE LEAF (not root) - Links set

Not at all instead of Nettles' excellent iron help but if you want something to also help your baseline energy level - gently:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Explore the books by Stephen H. Buhner on the range of tick-borne infections and do a good cross search on the web for his blog entries on the topic.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for the link, Keebler!

I know it's the babesia. I don't have an an LLMD at the moment. I'm treating myself with the Buhner protocol. It is really the only way to keep my babesia in check ...

But I haven't been able to raise my ferritin levels due to massive diarrhea - each time I try a new iron supplement.

Again, thank you for the link! Will try the stinging nettle leaf!!

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Also, Keebler, thank you for having responded to this and many of my previous questions. I know you're not well yourself, but you're always there for us when we need you on Lymenet ... It is greatly appreciated!

--------------------

TX Lyme Mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nula,
I realize that you said that you do not tolerate iron supplements well. Neither does our daughter, but she has found one liquid iron product which she can tolerate and which pulls up her iron levels very quickly. What's even better is that this distributor does ship to Europe.
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Flora-Salus-Floradix-Floravital-Iron-Herbs-Supplement-Liquid-Extract-Formula-8-5-fl-oz-250-ml/3012

This is the gluten free (GF) version of this product which could prove very beneficial just in case you have undiagnosed celiac (and/or gluten intolerance), which can often be trickier than you might suspect to rule out.

This company makes other versions of this product which are not GF, but if I were you, I'd start with this GF version first in order to increase the odds that you could tolerate it.

As a last resort, I've heard that cooking in a cast iron skillet is a good way to get iron into your diet. Also, simple old-fashion molasses is another good way to get iron into your diet, although it does add some extra sugar to your diet -- providing that you can tolerate the extra sugar, of course.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
So glad TX Lyme Mom is on the ball.

Echo to TX Lyme Mom on how great FLORADIX is. I think it's actually BETTER to start with as it's got far more herbs in it.

I also echo the importance of being gluten free in all foods, Rx, supplements and even lip balm, etc. If it even touches your lips, it should be gluten free.

Just be sure to keep Floradix in fridge and consume full bottle within the date. I think once opened, it has about two weeks to use.

You can also take stinging nettle LEAF capsules while taking Floradix. They will complement each other nicely.

also to help with loose stools: carob powder. mix in warm water with a little stevia and just consume or work into some kind of delicious little coconut oil ball, etc.

I don't think you will have a diarrhea issue with either Floradix or Stinging Nettles Leaf capsules or tinctures.

Good luck.
-

[ 02-22-2018, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was really interested finding this post since I've been really confused about results I just got a few days ago.

The only thing flagged as abnormal was high ferritin on my recent blood tests.

Antibody test for babesia the same day was negative but DNA Connexions PCR was positive a few months ago.

Since I think you are saying low ferritin is typical for babesia, does that mean I should believe the babesia antibody test rather than DNA Connexions since my ferritin is high?

RBC was borderline low normal.

This was done by new primary care to find reason for my worsening fatigue and think he expected my ferritin to be low.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would address the SIBO and maybe the ferritin will go up. There are all kinds of natural things you can do for SIBO.

I used Blood Builder when my ferritin was low. I also eat buffalo when I can find it, if not grass fed beef, at least once per week now to maintain.

Also try adding greens. Can you do smoothies and add a bunch of greens to it?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could look at your diet.

Calcium inhibits both heme and non-heme iron absorption.

Black tea inhibits non-heme iron absorption.

Vitamin C enhances non-heme absorption.

The above supplement has ascorbic acid.

[ 02-24-2018, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: terv ]

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Thanks, TX Lyme Mom,

I can't even tolarate iron-enriched juices. But I will give Floradix a shot. I appreciate your help and am glad to know that your daughter has found something that helps her.

I've previously thought about eating molasses, but I've been trying to avoid sugar. I may not have that option now as I truly need to get my ferritin level up.

Not feeling well today. Massive headaches. Can't think straight ...

Thanks so much for your help :-)

--------------------

Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

sixgoofykids,

Thank you for your response. I realize that my ferritin levels will likely go up once I've gotten rid of the SIBO. However, I can't wait that long. I really need to raise my ferritin levels now.

I've been treating SIBO for 5 years. I've tried everything under the sun and my doctors only made it worse.

Two years ago, I started treating myself and now I've got it mostly under control - UNLESS I eat anything with too much iron in it.

Hence my desperate plea for suggestions.

Thank you for suggesting Blood Builder. Tried that too and it did cause diarrhea - like every iron supplement I've tried so far.

--------------------

Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

terv,

Thank you for your input. I try to make sure that nothing inhibits my iron absorption, but it is hard.

The problem is: diet alone will not get my ferritin levels up. Monthly blood loss plus babesia is just too much for my body to handle. There is no way that diet alone will fix this. I need a supplement that I can tolerate ...

--------------------

Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Marz,

I'm not sure if you should believe the babesia antibody test. I generally don't trust antibody tests ... I would, however, trust a PCR test.

I've had babesia for 8 years now. My ferritin level was completely normal in the first couple of years.

--------------------

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had a full iron panel run ( fasting serum iron, total iron binding capacity (TIBC), serum ferritin, and hemoglobin?

If you haven't done so, maybe you should go to a hematologist to rule out any other issues?

[ 02-24-2018, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: terv ]

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nula, I know what you're going through.

the ONLY way to raise ferritin levels FAST is through iron infusions.

I'm very against artificial chemical procedures, in general. but when Ferritin levels drop, anemia starts, there is no other way out.

I took iron infusions the whole time my babesia was active. I mean, in a regular base.

The gut needs healing, for sure, allergies need to heal, for sure, you need probiotics for sure, you need a lot of things, but these things will take MONTHS if not years to solve.... and only if you are lucky.

You can't wait.

The moment you take these injections, it takes less than 10 days to feel they are doing something energy wise.

they are not the final solution (what people suggested above are the final solutions) but it's the fastest first aid help you will get.

Low ferritin = low oxygen transportation = increase of infections = decrease of energy = decrease of detox abilities.

You can't win with long term low ferritin levels.

Go get help!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

I was just going to suggest the infusions. My doctor ordered those when he saw my ferritin was 50. But I need my ferritin 50 or below.

Seemed like the way to go though to get a ferritin level up.

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marz,

Just posted this today on my FB page. Might be helpful for you and possibly others. It is a new study that indicates a patient had a high ferritin level with Anaplasmosis. My thoughts are also included below.

``````````````````````

Talking about the study...

MY COMMENT- The patient was sick enough that he went to ER with recurrent fevers, nausea, and malaise. He was sent home and had to return 10 days later even sicker.

Now, you'd think they'd have thought- it's Pennsylvania, sudden illness severe enough to go to ER, it might be a tick borne disease? But, no! They missed it.

This oversight extended the length of his illness, made his suffering much worse, forces him to pay for 2 trips to the ER instead of one, and he ended up with "acute kidney injury".

On the second trip to the ER they gave him Doxycycline just for the heck of it- not knowing what the problem was. Why didn't they give him the Doxy the first time?

This also points out how "guidelines" (diagnostic criteria) hurt this patient.

QUOTE- "Although our patient did not fulfill the HLH diagnostic criteria, our report demonstrates the importance of recognizing HGA as a reversible cause of HLH."

If anaplasmosis was not diagnosed- many cases are missed- and the patient lived and ended up with it being chronic and labels FUO or MUS or whatever, could his ferritin levels still be high and ongoing, along with other symptoms?

WHEN ARE THEY GONNA START THINKING LYME & TBD's FIRST?

LINK HERE

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29468169

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Ferrum Phos cell salt?
Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nula is your rbc low too? And with babs mcv and mch is off too I think?
Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nula:

I've been treating SIBO for 5 years. I've tried everything under the sun and my doctors only made it worse.

Nula,
Do you know about the on-line SIBOnation Yahoo group?
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sibonation/info

The moderator is a genius and is a recovered SIBO patient herself. She is always extremely helpful and she is aware of Lyme disease, too. Also some of the other SIBO members do have Lyme disease, which BTW can paralyze the GI tract, thus setting one up for SIBO.
https://www.practicalgastro.com/pdf/April06/SherrArticle.pdf

SIBOnation Yahoo is an open group, meaning that you do not have to join the group in order to view messages. However, if you want to post a message, then your first message must be approved by the moderator before it will appear on the board.

There's a lot of good, practical information about SIBO (and about IBS-C and IBS-D) in their Yahoo group's files section, too.

PS - I'm editing to add this link to a discussion topic about Cures from SIBO which I found by doing a search in the SIBOnation Yahoo group. There are several good ideas listed here by patients who have recovered (or improved significantly) from SIBO.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sibonation/conversations/topics/15858

[ 02-25-2018, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: TX Lyme Mom ]

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look up: Ferrum phosphoricum is also on the long term list.

My daughter took it for months, her ferritin level did not increase a single bit.

She had to go through iron infusions, and now we're trying to treat her gut (she's still on Ferrum phosph on and off).

Her ferritin levels started at 5, then fell to smaller than 3 (they could not even measure), despite Ferrum Phosphoricum homeopathic.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nula and Brussels...There is the Pekana line, specifically the Ferrodona spagyric drops that might come in handy. I've been using these in my office lately. They are imported from Germany.

Brussels for sure you know them and probably have some of them! It's just another helpful tool and it has it's place. But for sure, there are times when an iron infusion is necessary and life saving.

Ingredients:
Arsenicum album 12x - for exhaustion, weight loss, anemia, diarrhea

Ceanothus americanus 5x- spleen drainage, spleen dysfunction

Cinchona succirubra 4x- anemia. Cinchona is great for a "never been well since a loss of fluid from the body"

Cobaltum nitricum 6x - blood cell formation

Cuprum sulfuricum 6x - creation of oxidation enzymes

Ferrum metallicum 12x - creation of blood cells

Manganum aceticum 6x - creation of blood cells, reduces healing time

Natrum muriaticum 12x - dehydration

Brussels- can you get Restore over there? (www.restore4health.com)

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Look up, Restore looks interesting, but I only find it in the UK...

To restore the gut lining, we are trying Sanum therapy with bacillus firmus in D6, D4 then Peyer's Patches D6 to D4, both from Sanum.

That is the way dr Rau in Paracelsus does.

Have you already taken Peyer's Patches (Here they call Rebas) from Sanum? It seems quite a good product...

The Ferrodona looks great. I'll order it too.
I think that homeopathics work better just on a limited time, so I like to keep changing products.

Nice it's got some of the most important metals too. Did you have good experience with Ferrodona to very bad cases of low ferritin / anemia?

Thanks.

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

lookup,

What did you find that Restore did for you?

I have a huge bottle of it and took it for a while and noticed no improvement in anything.

lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

terv- I find it cleared my sinuses almost immediately. I also put some in my eye last night as I had pink eye, but I also took homeopathic Euphrasia and Pulsatilla so it's hard to say what helped.

Our family member stayed on the Restore steady for a good year and also did the Paleo Approach for Autoimmune by Ballentine (with zero infractions). Gut repair has been amazing. Now just dealing with bile support with bitters and zinc, ACV.Improvement has been huge.

One can really up their dose over time. Maybe that would help you more? One can go up to 1T three times per day.
http://blog.restore4life.com/restore-function-usage-guidelines/

lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Brussels- we did the Intestinal Kit from the Paracelsus Clinic. Is this what you are using?

"Intestinal Kit

Intestinal health
The Intestinal Kit provides the foundation for achieving optimal intestinal health. The Intestinal Kit program is adapted from the Swiss Biological Medicine approach of natural healing used by Dr. Thomas Rau, MD and the team at Paracelsus Clinic in Switzerland.

This world-leading natural medicine centre has achieved remarkable results addressing difficult chronic disease, and their programs always start with regeneration and restoration of a healthy intestinal system.

The Intestinal Kit contains natural preparations for a 6 week/2 phase program designed to restore intestinal health and support regulation of the body’s internal environment through four main principles:

1) Rebalance normal acid-base (pH) levels
2) Rebuild the intestinal mucosa
3) Replenish healthy intestinal flora
4) Re-establish a strong immune system

Healing the gut is important in cases of gastrointestinal symptoms, leaky gut, dysbiosis and candidiasis, allergies, immune conditions, chronic infections, inflammation, fatigue, respiratory conditions, sinusitis, skin conditions, metabolic disorders, malignancy, and joint disorders.

This Intestinal Kit approach leads to a healthy digestive tract with balanced intestinal flora, proper digestion, a strong immune system, and recovery from chronic disease and illness.

Pleo Alkala – correction of acid-base (pH) balance, improve digestion, support beneficial intestinal flora, decrease inflammation and allergic reactions, resolve heartburn/indigestion, and supportive therapy in chronic degenerative conditions

Pleo Sanuvis – stimulates mitochondrial respiration, reduce lactic acid buildup and inflammation

Pleo Citro – supports and increases energy production (cellular metabolism), corrects acid-base imbalance

Pleo Pef – controls and eliminates candida, yeast and fungal overgrowth

Pleo Rebasan – Peyer’s patch extract (vital in all intestinal rebuilding protocols), stimulates intestinal immune cell production

N-A-G capsules – repairs and rebuilds intestinal mucous membrane lining"

Yes, I hear you on switching things up. It's hard to tell if we saw anything amazing on the kit. The Paleo Approach to Autoimmune diet by Ballentine, time, Restore, apple cider vinegar and rest helped a lot. We did the kit on top of all of that...so it's hard to say.

I haven't ever used the Ferrodona. But, I was thinking that you might have that in your closet! [Wink] I like that it has the Cinchona and Arsenicum in it. I like that it is low potency. It might improve the body/iron acceptance terrain.

Another tool in the tool chest. [Smile]

Brussels
Member # 13480

Lookup, I sent you a PM, otherwise we highjack this thread...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement