LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Could Lyme be affecting my son?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could Lyme be affecting my son?
Jenne03
Member # 10482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenne03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will try to make this long story as short as possible. First off, I am a success case. I was bitten about 18 years ago by a Lone Star Tick. I saw the tell tale white dot. I ended up having symptoms two weeks later. Back then the protocol was two week antibiotics. I felt better until I was done them and then I crashed. At that point I went through the whole you don't have lyme , lets test you for everything . When nothing came up , I was given Zoloft. Thank goodness for a friend who knew what she was talking about and this page because I got treated by an LLMD.

I was almost 100% symptom free when I got pregnant. I took antibiotics my whole pregnancy. I had my daughter and everything was good. I was weaned off my meds and perfectly fine.

At the age of two , my daughter had weird things going on. She developed a cyst on her brain(still there this day and she is 16 now). She also developed cysts on her ovaries. The whole thing was weird. I ended up going back to the LLMD and had her tested. She tested CDC positive. She has been doing well and has been ok for a long time since being treated.

I also developed a pork allergy later on. I had not idea it could be related until I saw a recent article. My mind was blown!

So currently... My son (13) started vomiting out of the blue. He started off kind of sick but vomits everything but pasta, bread, cracker.. basically carbs. He was seen in er to make sure no blockage. He has seen gastro who did an endoscopy and found 19 of the eosophils which she says indicates allergy. So after blood tests, we found out his Vitamin D is at 13 and he showed an allergy to milk.

Now he always popped on skin tests to milk but always ate cheese fine so for years they thought it was a false positive. So I follow up with the allergist and he skin tests him and it pops on milk, pork and beef . Had no clue. He has been eating pork and beef without any problems. When I found out about my pork allergy it was a rash that I got from being on vacation at my in laws. She made pork breakfast everyday for us.

So it got me wondering. It could be an allergy but it doesnt make sense to me. He keeps down bagels with cream cheese but throws up chicken. I asked how he could eat cream cheese without throwing up? He is not allergic to chicken. Doctor said it could just be spasms and he will just randomly throw up the chicken but to stay away from anyting that cause vomiting.

I made chocolate chip cookies which definitely had milk and he tried them. He did not throw up. Before we knew, we were trying different foods. Bacon ..no throwing up. Chicken noodle soup = vomiting. Cheese sandwich= vomiting , Cheez-its= no vomiting. I just don't get it?

So I started wondering what if. I have never seen a tick on him . But I know it can happen. I also wonder what if it's been in his system? He was positive for recent EBV infection which i remember happened to me as well when they were testing me.

I haven't kept up on how Doctor's are treating it these days. I know it used to be horrible. What do you guys think?

--------------------
Jenn

Posts: 9 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea of what is wrong with your son. I am not a medical professional. But I can offer advise if I were in your shoes.

Why not take the Lyme test, invented by one of the world's leading Lyme doctor, researcher, and advocate ?

Here ;

http://lymeontario.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Horowitz-Questionnaire.pdf

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenne03
Member # 10482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenne03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn’t really looking for a diagnosis. I guess i was just checking to see if anyone has had experience with passing Lyme onto their children. Sorry that I wasn’t clear. I respect that list but if i used it for my daughter , I would have never considered Lyme. I’m so sorry my title was misleading!

--------------------
Jenn

Posts: 9 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm assuming he had testing for CELIAC. If so (and if not, the doctors were negligent) . . . some kinds of tests can still miss that. A genetic test is best.

In the meantime, not sure if you've already done a gluten elimination trial period of a few weeks or not but with a genetic celiac test, he could still be off gluten for the test to register.

"recent EBV" infection -- any infection can trigger a dormant celiac.

And, if I surmise correctly from what I've read here and there, just about any infection or even accident trauma to the body can also trigger "dormant" genes to kick in for various things. Like some of the might be "shocked" awake, so to speak.

Also consider: source of the meat. Meat that come from the industrial methods can also cause more issues for some people. Of course, it's best never to temp an allergy so best to just avoid for now.

Still, in answer to the question, can lyme be transmitted during gestation? Yes, it can. So can some of the other tick borne infections.

That is not to say this is your's son's case just that, yes, it has happened.

Still, there are so many ways he could have also been exposed during his childhood / youth. Tick bites can go unnoticed and often any illness transmitted might not cause trouble right away.

Mosquitoes have also been shown able to transmit lyme.

While this may not be lyme, and even if it's not, after assessing for some other things (including the special meat test at the place below - typical allergy tests may not be enough to connect it with a tick bite body reaction)

you might consider having your son assessed by an LLMD. Since lyme causes so many effects, most LLMD are also able to help rule out various things or guide you to further consideration.
-

[ 05-15-2018, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/122554

Gluten Intolerance & Celiac . . . . Links

Within these posts is one about EXCITOTOXINS and within that detail about GMO foods and some of the GI issues some kids have had with that.

When a change to only organic foods was made, some saw great improvement not necessary due only to the GMO issue but due to elimination or great reduction in farm chemicals.

It's worth a look, anyway.
-

[ 05-15-2018, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Best place to begin:

https://sites.google.com/site/drjoneskids/home

Dr. J's Kids . . . and within that excellent source:

https://sites.google.com/site/drjoneskids/pregnancy-and-lyme

Pregnancy Related Issues Associated With Lyme & Other Tick Borne Diseases

http://www.lymeliteratepress.com/

"When Your Child Has Lyme Disease: A Parent's Survival Guide"

http://www.childrenslymenetwork.org/

Children's Lyme Network -- connect with parents here

From an excellent educational organization, held in high esteem by ILADS LLMD, LL NDs and patients, alike:

https://www.lymedisease.org/lyme-basics/lyme-disease/children/

LymeDisease.org

Children with Lyme Disease

https://www.lymedisease.org/find-lyme-literate-doctors/

LymeDisease.org - Physician Referral

For the past 25 years, LymeDisease.org has been connecting patients with lyme literate doctors . . . .

https://www.lymedisease.org/lyme-autism-connection/

TOUCHED BY LYME: Unraveling the Lyme-autism connection

By Dorothy Kupcha Leland - March 15, 2012
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=034910;p=0

Topic: Meat Allergy from tick bite - reference links

Immune specifics & testing detailed here.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The GI issues could also be connected to:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/37712?#000005

Dysautonomia Links here -- and some doctors in your area who are educated in this matter. Scroll down to see several links with different detail on same topic.

Lyme is one thing that can "create" dysautonomia. And dysautonomia can cause gastroparesis and other spasm issues with the gut.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119808;p=0

Topic: Treatment / Support for Gastroparesis

Many great links here

And something as simple (yet profound) as MAGNESIUM deficiency can cause spasms anywhere in the body, even the gut. An INTRACELLULAR test is best. Other tests miss it.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - Informational Links set
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I assume there has been some scanning / imaging of his gut.

Still, there may be some SOFT TISSUE structural constrictions or the like that might not show on image.

There may be some DO, DC or PT who is trained in this method and covered by insurance:

VISCERAL MANIPULATION

http://iahe.com/html/therapies/vm.php

Visceral Manipulation / Neural Manipulation / New Manual Articular Approach

Visceral Manipulation was developed by French Osteopath, Jean-Pierre Barral. At optimal health, the relationship between the organs (viscera) and structures of the body (muscles, membranes, fasciae and bones) remains stable despite the body's endless varieties of motion.

But when one organ can't move in harmony with its surrounding viscera due to abnormal tone, adhesions or displacement, it works against all the body's organs and structures.

This disharmony creates fixed, abnormal points of tension that the body is forced to move around. That chronic irritation, in turn, paves the way for disease and dysfunction.

Visceral Manipulation (VM) is a gentle hands-on therapy that works through the body's visceral system (the heart, liver, intestines and other internal organs) to locate and alleviate these abnormal points of tension throughout the body.

http://www.upledger.com

UPLEDGER INSTITUTE

Find a professional trained in the visceral aspect of this method.

a particular method of body work. Very gentle. And, by far, so much better than most I've even received. So much more effective.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You mention that your son "was positive for recent EBV infection"

That could be an important piece of the puzzle, too. Mono can often cause lyme to go from dormant to active. But even if not lyme, EBV, alone can cause all kinds of body issues for a year, or years afterward.

Also be aware that a "recent EBV infection" could actually be a chronic infection but most regular MDs simple do not believe in any chronic infection whatsoever.

LLMDs and LL NDs (naturopathic) are very familiar with various ones, though.

AVOID acetaminophen / tylenol as it can harm the liver. EBV can really harm the liver all by itself so be extra careful.

A distressed liver can lead to trouble with food digestion and vomiting, too. And the kinds of liver damage might not show at all on any convention testing. There are other signs to look for that a good LLMD or LL ND will know.

Some kind of good antiviral herb would be something to think about. A LL ND might be best if that's possible as they know about hundreds of herbs. And, even if he might not have lyme, LL NDs are used to complex cases.

Also get all of the books by Stephen H. Buhner, a master herbalist.

I got mono my first semester in college. That was the beginning of the end for me. I recall my gut being a major issue at that time.

Also, you do not mention it and I assume that if he were dizzy or had any balance or coordination issues, you would have mentioned.

If there are balance, dizziness, vertigo or any coordiation issues -- or with visual such as jerky eyes or words seeming to fly off the page or difficulty reading (look up nystagmus) . . . that can trigger vomiting, too.

You don't mention if your son experiences fatigue. Just be aware that exercise tolerance can be an important sign that he's doing too much in light of the infection load (be that EBV or other).

A distressed liver (which EBV usually causes) - as well as the endocrine / adrenal hit - also can cause one to be exercise intolerant. Non-aerobic movement is best. Aerobic activity during infection can harm heart.
-

[ 05-15-2018, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You ask: " . . . haven't kept up on how Doctor's are treating it these days. I know it used to be horrible. What do you guys think?" (end quote)

If you go to nearly any MD with even a sort list of the things above that I know should be considered, you may get kicked out the door or accused of being too involved as a mother and that can spin off in odd ways. Be guarded with whom you speak.

So that your son also limits his chatter to others, get your ducks in a row before sharing with him the basic details of steps you with be taking for assessment.

Lyme is still terribly hard to get properly assessed or treated. Other tick borne infections, too. And as for other chronic stealth infections, not something any doctor will admit existing.

The typical medical system world is still just as bad, if not worse in some ways. Though, I think there may be more awareness and better educated doctors but ONLY in some circles connected with ILADS.

www.ilads.org

You might be able to ask the LLMD who treated you about your son and about EBV, too. Be sure to address & treat the EBV no matter what else is considered.

If you might consider herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods, because lyme is so very complex & unique, as are possible coinfections:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

so they really know all they can about the science of lyme . . . how lyme (& other TBD) act and what we can do about that in various ways. Proper ASSESSMENT of not just lyme but coinfectoins is vital. Someone trained by ILADS is best to assess.

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

For those considering complementary support methods / or other avenues entirely:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Herbal Safety considerations & reference books; etc.

BOOKS - Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

knowing which methods offer assertive & direct impact, which are only support and which are both. And when to use what, how to combine, & when to step back.

And this is whether treating lyme, other tick borne infection or any other chronic stealth infections. There's a big difference is what is to be direct action and what is just support.

You can compare and contrast many approaches with links to articles, books, methods . . .
-

Jenne03
Member # 10482

Keebler! Thank you for all the information ! I have a lot to read.

It sounds like not much has changed from when I had it..which is unfortunate. Luckily the LLMD I used for myself and my daughter is still practicing.

I know it can be passed for sure.. since I passed it to my daughter in utero . I figured that one out two years later because of her weird symptoms. My spider sense was tingling and its tingling this time as well. I was wondering if I could pass it on in utero even after being symptom free and have it lay dormant until now. From what I gather, this is possible. It's the meat allergies that are throwing me . I am also allergic to pork and like I said, I am pretty positive it was from the tick.

I also am glad you touched on EBV for me. To me that seemed key as I remember having that as well and the LLMD found it for me. It just seems significant.

He was tested for Celiacs through blood testing and the biopsy. He has been living on pastas and carbs for awhile and not throwing them up.

He has had X-rays and ultrasounds.. all seem ok. Once the found the Eosophils in his biopsy.. they said it was most likely an allergy. Although there were only 19 Eosophils in his stomach. The Allergist wasn't over impressed with this. After the tests came back, he said that we should just stay away from the allergy stuff and go from there. Again, I got the impression that he felt it was off as well.

He was tested for lupus, CBC , thyroid, metabolic panel, had stool studies, etc. Only thing significant was the EBV and his TSH level was high but when they tested him again , it was normal(hypothyroid runs in my family).

He has had to fainting spells. They said it was VasoVagal. One was at home. I woke him up for school and he came into the bathroom. He started leaning and stumbling but didn't actually pass out. I truly believe he got up from a dead sleep too fast. The other was during his stomach X-ray in the ER for his vomiting. He had pain in his stomach during the standing X-ray, and passed out , hitting his head on the way down. Other than that , he does not say he feels dizzy at all.

He has always had allergies and asthma since he was a baby. He has popped on milk the two times I had it tested. It wasn't extremely significant and he was eating things like cheese and other things with milk without and an issue so they assumed it was a false positive.

The EBV Ab VCA, IgG was >600.0 U/mL and EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG >600.0 U/mL. They told me this meant he had a recent infection but isn't currently infected because the other ones were normal.

He was exhausted. He has been home schooled but is probably headed back next week (slowly). His Vitamin D level is 13 so they are having him take supplements as well as 40 mg or prilosec.

Very interesting that the compromised liver could be causing it. My son keeps telling me he thinks it is something else as well. We are both just not convinced. If it is just the allergies.. we can deal with it.

The foods I could give him were pasta with marinara, butter,parmesan cheese, toast with butter or cream cheese, applesauce, carrots, jello, anything to drink, rice, rice with chicken flavor, chocolate chip cookies. These are the things he was living on . Not the chocolate chip cookies ....he just had to have one when I made them and said if he throws them up ..oh well since it's worth it..lol He didn't. I was confused how he kept down things he was allergic to but threw up things he wasn't (like a plain piece of grilled chicken). Now they said his stomach could just be throwing up different things randomly because its all messed up from the allergy . So once I cut out the allergens and his stomach heals, he should be able to eat the non allergic stuff again . It makes sense I suppose...

I am pretty convinced after reading all this that seeing my LLMD is probably the right way to go. It can't hurt and she may have more insight into whats going on.

--------------------
Jenn

koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenne03, Wow, reading about your son sounds very similar to my daughter. I'm late 50s and can trace this back to age 9, around 1970,, not diagnosed until age 48. My tick bites were from when I lived in NJ.

My daughter around the age of 14 started having almost daily vomiting. She also had abdominal pain. This went on for a long time. She underwent upper and lower endoscopy and was found to have eosinophils. The MD dismissed it and said that wouldn't cause her problems.

I kept looking for answers and eventually went to an infectious disease MD. He thought it might be a parasite so he gave her Flagyl. What I find interesting is that she felt awful on Flagyl. She seemed to slowly improve. In retrospect, I am thinking she has Lyme. She is 32 now and I notice a lot of facial/eye twitching/spasms.

To be honest, she doesn't take the whole lyme thing seriously. We are having one of her children tested since he seems to be having a lot of problems.

So yes, I would definitely take your son to an LLMD. I am kind of blown away by your story and the similarities.

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenne03
Member # 10482

Wow it is similar! I know my son was tested for parasites and nothing. His gastro was pretty confidant about the eosophils but the allergist didn’t seem
So impressed with only 19. But he was my son vomiting and show an allergy tests. It’s the EBV infection that is bothering me. Now my daughter who was born with Lyme is having all sorts of migraines(doesn’t run in my family) so i actually think i will take them both just to be sure. I hope your grandchild is ok!! Our stories are eerily similar!

--------------------
Jenn

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement