LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone w/ Xiphoid Process Problems and How did You handle it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone w/ Xiphoid Process Problems and How did You handle it?
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< LymeNet Family >>>>>,

Anyone have difficulty w/ Your *Xiphoid Process* acting up?

Part of my problem has been determined to be a Xiphoid Process problem. The *X'P* [ no not a computer problem ] is that little piece of cartilage-y bone at the end of the sternum.

It is usually a floating bone, tho' occasionally they'll attach onto the end of the sternum.

After surgeries where the sternum must be opened, or after injury the ornery little 'XP' can move back and forth, swell catch on surgical wire and a panacea of other uncomfortable things.

For we ladies it can make wearing a bra extremely uncomfortable, especially for the mature figure type. My Doctor called the swelling I am experiencing an uncomfortable 'fullness'.

It is beyond annoying to by a bra that fit yesterday, but is to tight today, this has happened to me several times.

An *XP* causing issues, can make one cough,cause GERD type issues to flare, cause nausea , and sometimes Costachondritis type pain. It can also feel like a heart attack.

I hope that none of you here, have had to deal with this, but if you have what helps the most? Don't want to have to have another surgery if I can avoid it.

I've heard Ice, and Heat, can help and simple analgesics. This hasn't helped me a whole lot,so far, And I can't go out with Ice packs or heating pads [rice buddies etc.] on my chest.

I cannot go to appointments, etc.when it is acting up. Aaargh!!! Any suggestions?

Thanks for any tho'ts or ideas you're willing to post!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That'a awful .. Are sports bras of any help? (probably not)...just throwing that out there.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< Lymetoo >>>>>,

Wish I could find a sports bra that fit, I have three front closure bras that I got larger on purpose. I still have to use extenders,and sometimes i just don't go anywhere.

One of the meds for the heart[ metoprolol ] causes weight to pack on too, so I am on half dose only,but have gained weight even so.

I least I was able to get off the Zetia,but I couldn't figure out why my chest kept getting tight feeling and painful. The *XP* issue can cause issues for some folk for a number of years after surgeries especially.

I am contemplating reworking some bras,if I can get my hand to cooperate,having issues with hands as well.

...And will be going to the rheumatologist in a few weeks, since they don't believe in chronic Lyme here. Evidently at times, the surgery can re-trigger other health issues. I suppose that is especially true for those of us LD and Co's.

If I can get fingers to work right, I'll do some work on a couple of bras to help them fit better, still working out ideas on what to do.

I am of course very glad to be alive, but I don't relish feeling like I am being bear hugged by a chest crushing Boa Constrictor, it is quite unpleasant.

After my PCP examined the swelling area and explained what it was, I did some research online, some folks just get a tender area for a few weeks, but some of us, get that chest crushing feeling and visible swelling.

So life is interesting right now, and I'd love for it to settle back down again.

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't get the sports bras that clip in the front to be comfy either due to sternum pain.

I finally just found some stretchy/spandex sports bras with no clips and I found them to very comfortable. I found them at Walmart and they are called Genie Bra.

They had them in that section at Walmart where all the TV commercial call 1-800 to order one and get 2 items are displayed together. lol Going looking on the web for you.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silver, I just looked on Walmart website and they have them. It's the sports bra. They have many sizes including for those that are full busted.

Probably still carry them in the stores too, so you could try one on before buying. I've been wearing them for several years. They hold up in the washing/dryer with normal load. No special bra cleanings. Yeah!

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope those will help, Silver! You've been so uncomfortable for so long now!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi there <<<<< map' and Lymetoo >>>>>,

Thanks for the Info'!!! I'll check to see what sizes they have that may fit, it would be so nice to have a bra that fits right and doesn't hurt!!!

I am hoping they have the 'Humongous-Gargantua' range that I need, surprisingly it is difficult to find really full figured bras here [in Vegas].

I am sorry that you've had to go thru this sternum pain too <<<<< map'/Pam >>>>>.

<<<<< Lymetoo >>>>>, I did some researching on Heart and various other surgeries involving the sternum, and many hospitals are using a 'Chest Vest' for both men and women, once the incision is safe to cover.

They didn't do that at the hospital I was at, nor did they have a proper size bra for me to go home in, wasn't fun to say the least.

Thanks again for the info' and helpful ideas from both of you. I appreciate it so very, very much [Smile] !!!

Jus' Silverwolfi of sore chest and tender 'paw', now with a more hopeful outlook!!!

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

map1131
Member # 2022

Silver, I got to thinking about when I went and found my bras at Walmart. They only had up to a certain size. In fact it was only 2 sizes.

You might have to go to Walmart.com and shop on line to try this out. If they don't fit or work for you, you could get your money back at local Walmart.

Pam

Here it is for you to check out. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Women-s-Genie-Bra-TM-3-Pack-of-Comfort-Sports-Bras/184553912

--------------------

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< map'/Pam >>>>>,

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out,as I have seen the Genie Bras before and they had only limited sizes.

I don't like that my weight is up, an irritating side effect to some of the meds', but a proper fitting bra would help a lot.

Still trying to figure out a way to get the swelling to calm down.

TrekC' helps me check on-line for product buying, as I am a low tech-girl. I am hopeful of finding something that will fit.

If I was an inventor, I'd see if I could rig a bra that expands/contracts and breathes with one. LOL reminds me of the old 'Living Bra' Jokes!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

map1131
Member # 2022

I wish I had a magic wand....I'd wish away your swelling and pain.

I never noticed mine swelling. Everything else was swollen. I just hated the feeling of an elephant foot on my sternum all the time.

That sx disappeared about a year ago. I don't miss it. I wish you luck.

Pam

--------------------

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< map'/Pam >>>>>,

Thanks for the well wishes, I know what you mean about the elephant foot on the sternum. It has taken a good year to figure out that it was making things swell up.

Course forcing the breasts out of normal alignment to do the five bypasses,and then open the sternum, flaying it out to scrape off the excessive Perosis, couldn't have helped the breast tissues either. [Sorry about the run-on sentence.]

They debated doing something about the Mitral Valve, but decided against it, since the surgery was already over four hours long. The hope is that better blood flow will help the valve work better.

As much as the chest and left breast tissue have swelled ,and it being a year plus since the surgery... I'm hoping and praying the Mitral Valve doesn't ever need replacing.

I am hopeful,If I can get the largest of the Genie bras it'll work, and meanwhile, trying to get the swelling to calm down, and get my weight back down.

Thanks again for the link and the kind wishes.

Jus' that Silverwolfi

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to get the name of the bra that my mom actually likes. It should be exactly what you want/need. And if they arent right I'll talk to my sister.

For the past few years mom has been wearing Spanx no sleeve tee shirts under her clothes. These are compression garments so they're made to keep movement under control [Smile]

Mom still wears the spanx when she recovers from surgery. There more comfortable than any bra could ever be, less pressure on tender areas. And it provides far more modesty than I expected.

I tip I learned about spanx/ compression undershirts, get the size bigger than you usually wear. Those things can be way super tight & if you manage to get them on, you won't get them off! Stuff like that's great for when your in a wedding or some other special event but not every day.

And ask your doc to get an X-ray of your chest to make sure that everything is as it should be. Better safe than sorry.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< sammy >>>>>,

How are you? I didn't realize that Spanx did the no sleeve tee shirts that were a compression garment, I am wondering if they go into way large sizes. The meds I have to take have a weight gain side effect.

I'll have to see what I can find out! TrekC' ordered the genie bra pack for me, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a couple other bras and compression sleeveless tee shirts too. hopefully they'll have the right sizing.

Is your mom doing better? Hoping you both are improving.Thanks for the ideas!!!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Silver,

My mom has multiple brands of compression undershirts. They are just like the Spanx brand but cheaper. I used the name brand Spanx so you could understand what I was talking about:)

I thought about you when I went shopping today, do you happen to have a store called “Gabe’s”?

It’s a discount store, they carry tons of clothes & household goods. Sometimes you find nothing, then you hit jackpot...

I purchased 4 expensive brand name bras for 2.99 each! And some Levi’s brand shorts for 5.99! Not clearance!

I noticed that they had tons of plus size bras (and these were ones like you wanted).

If you don’t have this exact store I’m certain you should have something similar. Do you live near a city or in the middle of nowhere Walmart’s all you got?

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

There’s not anything we can do for my Moms cancer treatment right now. It’s in the most advanced & agressive stage. So we need a miracle.

Past 2years have been a fight for life. I love her. It makes me happy to help her because that means we’re winning. Life.

Unfortunately, my health is now worse than it has ever been. My insurance coverage was taken away erroneously for over 9mo. So I haven’t been able to have any of my IVIG treatments for my immune system.

And no IV antibiotics. I keep getting sicker, my pneumonia gets worse, everything is worse. My will is strong, body weak.

Thank you for caring for me & my family. Thank you for praying!!!

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< sammy >>>>>,

Thanks for the info', we don't have a 'Gabe's' but I bet there is something similar here,or a town or two over from us.

TrekC' and I are both in Las Vegas NV, since 2012. I am 'tech challenged', so haven't changed my sig-line as yet [I have difficulty getting in to my e-mails, memory issues].

Technically we are not in Las Vegas, I guess this area is like a suburb?!one could say, Anyhow ,I use TrekC's e-mail for most everything.

If you live here you don't want to be overly close to 'the Strip',the closer one lives the higher the insurance rates. When we are willing to wade thru the traffic, there are a lot of stores, but oddly it is difficult to find good plus size bras.

I checked online and saw some other compression type garments, so when I can get out I'll have to see what we can find. I am not able to drive,or take the buses.

TrekC' is having a lot of issues, right now besides his broken Kneecap, that VA 'can't' fix, his ankle is acting up severely.

Iv'e been frustrated w/ medicaid, because between them and the hospital,and surgeons office, they let bills go to collection, who then tries to collect on us. So we got the Governors Office on Consumer Health Liason involved .

I didn't know you'd lost your insurance, is there a Governors Office on Consumer Health in your area? ,I don't know, if there is maybe they could help you,or give information on who could.

We'll keep you both in prayer, It is difficult when our bodies get to weak, sometimes I feel trapped,like a prisoner in my own home and body. I was out for a brief bit ,yesterday evening , to eat,and try to relax.

Got exhausted, chest area swells, and it all hurts, plus that elephant paw pressing the chest feeling. It is difficult getting X-rays or much of anything else right now, w/ medicaid.

We set up an appointment a few days ago for a Rheumatology appt., on my PCP's referral. No opens until the 2nd week of Sept. Frustrating,as my joints are worsening, and getting harder and harder to use my hands.

I met a young lady ,at one of the local animal shelters a few months ago, and she was having a rough day, She has Ehlers-Danlos , I don't know if I got the spelling right,but it reminded me of you.

Better close for now Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

sammy
Member # 13952

And everyone complains about high usage of the ER, saying it’s inappropriate & such.

Sadly, many folks are driven to the ER when they can’t get the care they need in the community. When you can’t get in to see a doctor, insurance won’t approve necessary tests or treatments or referrals to specialists.

What do they expect to happen when you get desperately ill!

We live in an incredible selfish society right now. Our last major election proved that when they campaigned on promises to end Obamacare & Medicaid then our neighbors/ loved ones voted for these leaders. Leaders that don’t care about us!

I legally qualify for Medicaid due to all my rare diseases & medical need. They had no reason to stop it but they did. I received no letter of notification, just a flood of bills. (It was my secondary insurance.)

I called, emailed, visited everyone I could, everyday trying to figure out what happened & how to get it back. Everyone was baffled, answer given was sorry politics, can’t help. Really!!!

When the situation continued to drag on, no hope of help in sight, my doctors got mad & arranged a team of social workers to fight for my life.

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< sammy >>>>>,

That really stinks,it is not right!! Not sure if there is a way to fix our broken medical system.

In my situation, My Cardiologist,and PCP felt something wasn't right, but tho't maybe I just needed a stent placed, somewhat like happened to TrekC' awhile before my incidents.

I tho't my damaged lung and some allergy/and high winds weather was making me feel miserable.

I went for a simple Nuclear stress test [May1st,2017], and ended up in the Hospital,from May 1st 2017- May 9th 2017. I got to go home that early evening May 9th. May 4th, 2017, I had Quintuple bypass heart surgery,and an open the sternum and scrape it all down [serious 'perosis].

Medicaid tried to force me to go home before the 9th last year,and my Dr. team said "NO, she'll leave when we are ready ".

The nurses there,and the doctor team are great... the financial offices... not so much.
Between, my surgeons office, the hospital, and medicaid, they all have my proper card numbers, and they mixed it up.

Not us, them, they make/have copies of the cards, when we sign in... now they don't want to call the collection dogs off.

A year later I am still having problems, and getting proper meds, and simple things like a stool softener, is a mess to even try. [We did it on our own as far as the softener, on the advice of a nurse friend.]

The Xiphoid process situation, is difficult and IBS/IC and everything else, makes it worse.

I just don't get it, and I wonder who is pocketing, money while we and so many other folks suffer. We've talked to a number of Doctors and Nurses,and they aren't happy either.

I literally feel concern for some of them, because of the work load,and for the nurses the pay [not so great], I have relatives in Nursing,and friends. if I am not mistaken, you are a Nurse?!!.

I will keep praying my friend, you are family,LymeNet folk are family .

Jus' that Silverwolfi

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Quick update,

Hi all,sad to report, the largest 'Genie sport bras' ,the 4X, do not fit.

Literally, barely got them over my head, let alone covering 'the girls'.

I don't know what is up with everything swelling, especially the left side. All I can think of is the tissues, muscles and such were stretched too far during the surgery,and now I have an inflammation.

So I'll be busy trying to hand stitch some expansions in parts of a couple bras. And hope to find a way to deal with painful swollen tissues, and the slipping Xiphoid Process area.

Drs. don't seem to have much advice for Medicaid patients in the Senior citizens age range anymore. Those who still accept them as patients that is.

I'm trying to keep my chin up,and give it to the Lord. It is discouraging, so I am trying to find the humor in it all.

I'll keep working on ideas,and looking for things to help. It seems most all the supplements and meds cause allergy problems and or tear up my stomach.

I've read that... " a merry heart does good like medicine...". So trying to find cheerful things to dwell on .

Better close for now...

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

map1131
Member # 2022

I'm sorry Silver. I thought for sure you would at least find some comfort with these bras.

I couldn't handle getting them on over my head. It would get all wrapped up. I step into them and come up thru the body.

As they go over my hips they are stretched enough and straightened out to make the final landing.

I hope you swelling and unease goes away soon.

Pam

--------------------

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< map/Pam >>>>>,

It was still worth a try, TrekC' says we are going to have to find a specialist to do a proper custom fitting.

A lot of it is fitting the cup too, Genie definitely wouldn't fit. I can alter the main bra some, but not worth it if the cup pinches and cuts off circulation.

So they'll become part of other bras. I've altered stuff before, but it takes longer now ,as it is hand stitching,and my fingers don't cooperate very well.

I am going to give Sammy's compression t-shirt ideas a try to. She had an excellent idea there. I'll have to find something inexpensive, but there are a few options out there.

Thanks again for the idea, and <<<<< sammy >>>>> you too. I'll keep looking and experimenting.

Praying the swelling ,and discomfort stops soon!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement