LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help son bit no blood need abx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help son bit no blood need abx?
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

Last night while doing my nightly check for ticks on my kids I found a tick embedded in my 6 yr old son's head.

I immediately pulled it out and saved it.

I suspect it wasn't there for long possibly 2 hrs.

Tick wasn't engorged and there was NO blood when I pulled it out.

A small red mark was present from where the tick began to break the skin.

Since there was NO blood should I get him on abx as a precaution?

Thanks in advance,

Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a difficult decision. There was no blood in the tick that got me sick and it was attached for less than 6 hours. I did get sick though with a fever, but didnt' recognize it as being Lyme so wasn't diagnosed for 3 more years.

Draw a circle around the red mark so you can see if it grows.

My LLMD's opinion is that you treat for a tick bite if you live in an endemic area.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Six, Thank you for your input and I agree.
Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very tiny ticks usually will not show blood. The moment they bite, they already may inject whatever nasty they have.

I've got about AT LEAST 72 tick bites so far (in the last 12 years). I must say that not every bite made me ill, but many did, and it was independent of the time the tick bit me. At least, that is my general impression.

it has nothing to do with having blood or not, as some are so TINY, we can barely see their legs.

The 1st one that made my 2 year old sick bit her on her head. I pulled it next day after she woke up with tummy ache and in bad mood.

No one believed this was a tick, until I let it run on the table. It did walk, and after I smashed it, I couldn't see really blood. It was there the whole night, for sure, as she had played in the country side the day before.

So blood or not blood, that is not the question!

The questions are:
- is the tick infected or not?
- is the immune system of your son strong enough to fight the infections, even if it is infected?

Just as preventative, I would rub some killer essential oils 4-5 times a day on the site, plus tape some garlic slices in the night, for about 2 weeks.

And put him on Buhner's herbs, the ones he suggests after a fresh tick bite. Just in case.

If you can, add a stronger dose of Vit D3, Vit C (I use liposomal, it's incredibly strong), magnesium, keep his diet clean and nutritious for at least 1 month (no sugar, junk), give some liver supplement (like milk thistle), possibly MSM daily or chlorella, increase zinc (for the immune system), add Omega 3 (for the nerves and brain), propolis (tasty), eleuthero and/ or echinacea.

Think of it as if a strong flu virus would be around for one month, and do whatever comes to your brain that would help his immune system.

Good luck!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

@Brussels thank you for your input! Can you list the killer essential oils you're referring to?

I have Buhner's herbs on hand and all the supplements you mentioned.

Also, as a side note this was a mature tick not a nymph.

[ 06-07-2018, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: been ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it makes any difference on the blood. Treat if you can find a willing doctor.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was shocked to find a fully engorged tick in my armpit early one morning in December.

I panicked, squeezing & pulled so hard on the tick that it ripped of causing a bleeding gaping wound.

Of course I screamed & threw the tick in the toilet.

As soon as the tick flushed away, snap, I woke up!!! And I wept cause I knew that was so stupid & wrong in every way.

Crazy what can happen when your not awake & your mind goes in fight or flight mode.

I’ never had any of my tick bites bleed before that. They have always left a distinct bite

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been, I use Olbas oil, that has some strong peppermint inside. I suppose any antimicrobial oil that is strong can be rubbed (but you may have to dilute it a bit, if it's something like oregano oil, thyme oil, for example).

Just read how much one should dilute. Lavender is mild, but I don't know if it is really strong. I find peppermint is strong enough, and Olbas has 3 more oils(if I remember well) mixed with peppermint, so it may be not a bit problem.

If you don't find the info, write again!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's a myth - a lie, really, that a tick has to be attached for any length of time. The instant the skin is broken and mouth parts make contact, that's the instant that a tick can infect.

It may not, and it may not be an infected tick, though, especially for any tick that has had a previous blood meal of any mammal, infections are not magically kept locked up for any number of hours after they bite the next meal.

Also know that there are other tick-borne infections to consider.

https://sites.google.com/site/virginialyme/ticks/how-long-to-transmit

Bite Transmission time for Bb and other TBD

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4278789/#b19-ijgm-8-001

Int J Gen Med. 2015; 8: 1–8.

Lyme borreliosis: a review of data on transmission time after tick attachment

Michael J Cook - 2014 Dec 19

Excerpt:

. . . Mechanisms for early transmission of spirochetes have been proposed based on their presence in different organs of the tick.

Studies have found systemic infection and the presence of spirochetes in the tick salivary glands prior to feeding, which could result in cases of rapid transmission.

Also, there is evidence that spirochete transmission times and virulence depend upon the tick and Borrelia species.

These factors support anecdotal evidence that Borrelia infection can occur in humans within a short time after tick attachment. . . .

[Full article at link above]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement