LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any cholestterol experts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any cholestterol experts?
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havent has my cholesterol checked in years. Just did it and got results back.

Total 255 (High 100 - 199))
Trig 80 (0-149
HDL 107 (upper labcorp range >39)
VLDL 16 (5-40)
LDL 132 (High range (0-99)

What is up with the high LDL and HDL? I started reading last night and saw something about inflammation. Is the high LDL driven by the high inflammation (maybe from lyme)?

I am 5'9" and weigh 106. I admit to eating red meat at night because it is easy and I dont get complaints from kids. I do eat coconut oil and flax seed oil.

Does the high HDL help the high LDL?

Posts: 833 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Nothing is wrong with red meat, in fact, it is good for us - if from free grazing, grass-grazing organic ranches. Fat is good for us. This is the work that has been covered up for 60 years.

Your numbers do not look alarming to me at all. Cholesterol is not at all all it's been made out to be. Congratulations on your triglycerides. It appears you likely don't do much in the way of processed sugar (but if so, that's one of the worst for inflammation).

Your VLDL is within normal boumds (though see what the experts below might say). The small size, the VERY Low Dense Lipids - the one to be most aware of.

Still, be sure to always avoid vegetables oils, always and forever. They can cause the LDL to oxidize inside the blood vessels. Eating out, most processed foods pose a risk.

Be sure your diet has plenty of good antioxidants of all colors.
Liver support is full of antioxidants, too..

Start here, excellent presentation:

At 21:51, his chart shows LDL okay number to be under 130. Yours is just 132. Seems minor. Yet, the bigger message is that too much emphasis on cholesterol.

As with the others below, his audience is part of the Low Carb Down Under conference series, still this part relates to every human, too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWJQKaNpvvI

Dr. Jeffry Gerber - 'Cholesterol OMG'

36:57 . . . Sept. 9, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHFbMUU0Oag

Insulin Resistance Not Cholesterol Causes Heart Disease -

Jeffry Gerber, MD

March 3, 2017 . . . 42-minute interview

Dr. Gerber discusses why it's important to measure post-meal insulin and the strong relationship between hyperinsulinemia and heart disease.

Connect w/ Dr. Jeffry Gerber http://denversdietdoctor.com

Scroll down to see "-Key Takeaways-" and the time where these occur in the video.
-

[ 07-10-2018, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You might appreciate the book by Nina Teicholtz: The Big Fat Surprise.

Also see her presentations at YouTube with groups such as Low Carb Down Under . . . and TED Talks.

While I speak to "happy" cows, etc. so to speak she does not really make that distinction and is more practical regarding budget for the most nutrient dense food there is: meat.

Still, what she shares about meat in general . . . and the terrible nature of vegetables oils at most restaurants, packaged foods, etc. is stunning.

She has lots of lecture so do try to see at least 3 to cover all the bases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rz-8H_i1wA

Nina Teicholz - Red Meat and Health . . . 34-minute video

https://thebigfatsurprise.com/

The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat & Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Ivor Cummins is another person to search YouTube for. His website is The Fat Emperor. He's also got many lectures at Low Carb Down Under.

His lectures are very technical yet his has great graphics and a wonderful style.

Cholesterol tests often don't help much and can just muddy the waters and distract from what really matters - and he explains why. He suggests the film "The Widowmaker" which is at YouTube and Netflix right now.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPn4FsiQP15nudug9FDhluA/videos

Ivor Cummins - YouTube presentations mostly about the heart and good fats. His audience is usually the Low Carb High (Healthy) Fat folks, still, he's brilliant in his explanations and charts and this relates to everyone.

The CALCIUM ARTERY SCAN of the heart is a much better indicator of any risks. The abreviation is CAC.

http://www.thefatemperor.com/search?q=CAC

Ivor Cummins - CAC

http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2016/9/4/cac-calcium-the-ultimate-test-for-atherosclerosischallenges-ldl-as-cause?rq=CAC

CAC . . . Calcium, The Ultimate Test For Atherosclerosis . . . Challenges LDL as Cause!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H889DhAYwc

Ivor Cummins - FoodNews Conference 2018

Fixing the Heart Disease Elephant ! #CAC #LCHF

34 minutes

http://www.thefatemperor.com/videos-/

More videos and a blog at his website. The Fat Emperor.
-

[ 07-10-2018, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
While the regular cholesterol tests also are not something this doctor puts much into, she does suggest an ADVANCED LIPID PROFILE but says most doctors are unaware, don't want to do it and insurance companies usually don't pay the $200.

From that, she looks at REMNANTS.

For cooking, best to never cook with oils (or use only stable oils in the least amount possible in the pan but add them as you serve. Even good grass-grazed beef or wild salmon can also have their good fats oxidize when cooking, but while of course cooking to done state, never over cook. And, I assume, warming over should be not too long on the stove.

Slow cooking is somewhat protective to avoid high temps.

Keep in mind that any fructose turns to fat faster and can be more dangerous. Berries best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpX41oCi1M

Dr. Cate Shanahan "Practical Lipid Management for LCHF Patients"

37:56 posted by Low Carb Down Under Jun 9, 2016

LCHF is Low Carb High (Healthy) Fat - while the presentation is for this group, the detail is helpful for all.

Towards the end she emphasizes that even with VLDL (the smaller particles) she is not go concerned in its being there but what it CARRIES, the OXIDATION

from bad oils, etc.

She speaks to LIPID PEROXIDATION / Apo protein

if body has too little antioxidants, this can be very bad news.

And if we eat too much, the body just can't take it all up. So not too large meals.

Our white blood cells are meant to gobble up the oxidized but when we have too much go gobble up, they get "sick" and can't do their job and also then add to the junk & then weaken the blood vessels walls.

Oils to always avoid: Canola; Corn, Cottonseed, Soy, Sunflower, Safflower, Rice Bran & Grapeseed.

-------

Now, to the lyme question. It seems that since lyme causes toxicity, etc. that such toxic particles could also be entrapped in fat particles. She does not speak to this but it just makes sense to double our efforts to lower inflammation with ANTIOXIDANTS and good foods.

And even fat - even saturated fats from land-raised organic animals and coconut oil are considered good fats. Along with others like Extra Virgin Olive Oil -- just never get it hot.

Be sure your coconut oil is not refined, that is is RAW or unrefined . . . do not heat it.

Refined coconut oil can be used for cooking but even with coconut oil, it can be hard to find a refined oil that has not been heated during the process and some even use chemical extraction.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
VItamin D is also key to the lining of our heart / blood vessels.

Ivor Cummins speaks to that in one of his lectures but I can't pinpoint which one. No matter what, if we are too low in Vitamin D, our blood vessels can become too weak and rupture.

Ah, I love cross searching at Google, Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pK0dccQ38

Ivor Cummins

D is for Debacle - The Crucial Story of Vitamin D and Human Health

1:21:38 . . . Dec 10, 2014
-

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the info Keebler. You have given me a lot of sources and info to look at. I hadn't had a lipid panel done in years and if I remember correctly my LDL was nice and low so the high number freaked me out.

I wonder what those new electric pressure cookers do to food. My friend was raving about hers the other day and how she can cook a frozen chicken breast in minutes.

When I was waiting in the doctor's office yesterday, I started searching high HDL. There were some articles suggesting that HDL has a bell shaped curve and too high a level increased mortality.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28419274

It sounds like more research needs to be done though.

My doctor did confirm that my numbers were good and really liked the triglyceride number.

Posts: 833 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Nina Teicholz has marvelous research in her book: The Big Fat Surprise.

HDL is "happy" and it's more about the ratio of HLD to LDL. Cholesterol is protective, actually.

Nina's book and lectures were an eye opener for me on who's been funding the "official" research / scare tactics. She explains how to understand how studies have been set up.

Look at the sponsors of the "research" as well as the various health organizations that get the big headlines and fun runs: the processed food industry and pharmaceutical giants.
-

klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During Lyme tx my LDL was very high, and I was told that LDL vacuums up toxins in the blood and carries them out so it was good to have it high while herring.

I also saw research showing older women with high LDL have a 40% lower chance of breast cancer, and the chance of Alzheimer's goes down in direct proportion as LDL goes up.

The noise about cholesterol was a way for big pharma to make money on selling statins. Ancil Keys, who started it all, admitted he was wrong about it.

By your weight, I assume you are female. If so, HDL ratio to Triglycerides is the most important and yours is excellent.

The brain is made of fat, your hormones are made with cholesterol. Unless total is higher than 350 consistently, you do not need to worry. Look up "The myth of cholesterol".

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops! I was not "herring" but herxing. I have trouble reading the teensy print on this forum, sorry.
Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

During Lyme tx my LDL was very high, and I was told that LDL vacuums up toxins in the blood and carries them out so it was good to have it high while herring.

I also saw research showing older women with high LDL have a 40% lower chance of breast cancer, and the chance of Alzheimer's goes down in direct proportion as LDL goes up.

The noise about cholesterol was a way for big pharma to make money on selling statins. Ancil Keys, who started it all, admitted he was wrong about it.

By your weight, I assume you are female. If so, HDL ratio to Triglycerides is the most important and yours is excellent.

The brain is made of fat, your hormones are made with cholesterol. Unless total is higher than 350 consistently, you do not need to worry. Look up "The myth of cholesterol".

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Yes I am female.

Amazingly my library has "The Big Fat Surprise". All copies checked out so it must be popular.

I stupidly never consider drug companies, conflicts of interest or funding of studies when looking at health issues.

I looked up high LDL because I was surprised it could be a good thing. And I did find info backing that up. I have no idea if this is a credible source or not

https://www.drperlmutter.com/ldl-friend/

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yes. That is a credible source on this topic. His work is mentioned in Teicholz' book, too. You can see a lot of Dr. P's interviews at YouTube and his books may also be in the library / or your local independently owned bookstores.

Ivor Cummins' presentations are much more entailed, though.

LDL is not just that but different sizes. The fluffy LDL better than the small dense particles. There is some good study on that being considered and, yeah, that is important to consider.

But the bottom line is that dietary saturated fat does not cause cholesterol in the blood vessels -- it is not related to heart disease. That was a lie and sloppy acceptance of a bad hypothesis due to financial gain for using industrial oils as food.

The problem is the wrong kind of fats from vegetables oils that are processed with high heat and chemicals . . . and are unstable and lead to oxidative stress in the blood stream.

And Trans Fats. Fake oils.

Also to consider: Insulin - when it's too high or in those with insulin resistance / metabolic disease / pre-diabetes / diabetes.. It's a major factor in heart disease.

Glucose / Fructose are more the driving factors for heart disease due to elevated insulin and the cascade of events in the body that occur from too much.

It's the elevated insulin or spikes (so common due to simple sugars in the diet) that is one the worst drivers of heart disease, along with the bad oils. But butter is good. Whole milk, too. Skim milk can cause damage in the body for various reasons - for many people.

And low Vitamin D, low magnesium . . . .
-

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are some studies now saying that once a week dosage of 2.5 and 5 mg of cholesterol meds are preferable over every day. less side effects.

apparently cholesterol meds stay in your system much longer than previously thought, approximately 5 days or so.

sounds like an interesting study. course the big pharmaceutical companies are discrediting it.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cut sugar. I mean all added sugar (not naturally occurring sugar in fruit.)

My LLMD told me to cut sugar and eat high fat and it completely normalized my cholesterol without meds.

https://drhyman.com/blog/2014/02/07/eggs-dont-cause-heart-attacks-sugar/

HEre is a good film with Katie Couric:
http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement