LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bone broth?! Worth it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bone broth?! Worth it?
ishandraaa
Member # 51610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ishandraaa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, so my BIGGEST complaint is my muscle, tendon and joint pain.

I've been contemplating starting the anti-inflammatory diet. Hoping it will help with my pain and stiffness.

However, I am also considering drinking bone broth every day to help heal my body. Has anyone seen any improvement with their muscles etc while drinking it?

And if you have is there certain bones I should be purchasing to make it or will bones in general work? Also, is there any mixes that you have found that are tasty and actually good quality? [confused]

--------------------
Ishandra.

Posts: 55 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Josh Axe has some bone broth/collagen products that are easy to use. I haven't used them specifically, but his products in general seem to be pretty good. He also has articles on this stuff.

I make bone broth in the winter as a soup base. I usually use chicken because it doesn't take as long as it does to make bone broth from bigger bones. I take the chicken meat off after one hour and put the bones back in otherwise the meat isn't very good to eat.

You can ask a butcher for bones if you want them from beef.

You might also try systematic exercise with good breathing to get oxygen deep into the tissue. I like pilates and it helped me so much that when I got better I started teaching it. It's whole body and incorporates breathing. For beginners (or those with fatigue problems) a lot of it is done lying down, which makes it doable for people with chronic illness.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Golightly716
Member # 51484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Golightly716     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve done the GAPS diet, which includes A LOT of bone broth. I’ve never tried a bone broth that tastes good. It’s probably best to hide it in other foods. I’ve used it as a base for sauces and have cooked veggies in it to help make it palatable. I think any chicken or beef bones work well. Some people roast the bones first, some don’t. I usually take the bones left over from chicken soup and make a bone broth from those.

It definitely helped my daughter’s joint pain after a few weeks, although I’ve read that the glutamate can be protect babesia and make it worse (because the glutamate coats blood cells, where the babesia hides). Not an issue if you don’t have babesia though!

Also, it’s important to use organic bones because marrow can accumulate toxins. I think (if I remember correctly) if you use regular bones it’s more important to scrape and discard the foam from the top of the broth while it’s cooking.

Posts: 23 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tested your vit. D level?

Mg and vit D can help tendon pain (and attached muscles), I think

I think Mg is only 2-3% in the blood, so a blood test does not tell you much, but the Vit. D test may tell you if you need more vit. D to absorb the Mg and deficiency of Mg can hurt the tendons

when I make bone broth, I put some shank and some kuckle bones from the local butcher (humanely raised and locally slaughtered animals, raised on grass) in the crock pot with just water

boil for a day and start taking broth out to put in pot and add cut veggies: celery, parsely, green beans, zuchini, kale, carrots, spring onions, beets, tumeric root, ginger root, garlic, or whatever I have laying around in the fridge (all organic) - I add glangal powder (instead of pepper because I cannot have pepper) and sea veg sea salt (with iodine) - great fresh soup

I keep the bones in the pot for up to 5 days, taking out broth and adding water every day

--------------------
Persistence, persistence, persistence!!!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence...
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."
attributed to Calvin Coolidge

Posts: 599 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ishandraaa
Member # 51610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ishandraaa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the Bone broth I found that was all natural and free of everything tasted like garbage.

I'll have to keep looking. I got a chicken bone broth and it tasted like McDonalds sausage from a sausage biscuit.

It completely threw me off and I was totally disgusted.

I'll try and make some from scratch. I already make chicken broth at home, so I figured I could just take the extra time.

--------------------
Ishandra.

Posts: 55 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try frozen Bonafied Provisions. Organic beef or Chicken, 24 oz.

After many disappointing trials of several brands....this one measures up!!!! It has the flavor of homemade.

Making your own is the best but this one fills the need!!

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Svt
Member # 51188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Svt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve found Epic Artisinal beef, jalapeño, sea salt to be my favorite.
I’m drinking it room temp straight from the jar it’s so good.

Posts: 1 | From Texas! | Registered: Jan 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will need to make your own, or forget it .. that's my opinion anyway.

Just be very careful not to overdo the histamine or you will end up worse off. Anything cooked a long time will have high histamine.

Many people use the Instant Pot to make it. That reduced the level of histamine.

Yes to the use of ORGANIC to cut down on the toxins.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny some of you don't like bone broth. It tastes wonderful, in my opinion.

Who doesn't like grandmother's chicken soup? Well, bone broth from chicken (whole chicken) tastes like that. I have water in my mouth when I think of it.

I use bone broth to GIVE taste to less tasty things (like rice). Instead of water, I add bone broth and the rice tastes amazingly good.

I would also keep it in the refrigerator. It gets hard, like soft butter. I use spoons of it to give taste to any vegetable I cook, for example.

Anti inflammatory diet (no allergens) is a great idea, I think. Specially gluten, milk products.

Adding magnesium is also good for stiffness.
Then for joints, liposomal vit C is great to rebuild collagen. If you add the bone broth, it is still a plus, I suppose.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re muscle, tendon and joint pain, I can think of some other remedies as well - I take capsules of turmeric powder everyday and that greatly reduces pain in muscles and joints, as it's anti-inflammatory. I also suggest taking more magnesium to relax muscles.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ishandraaa
Member # 51610

Thanks for the ideas! I work a TON so having the time to actually make it from scratch is the issue.

I was hoping to just find an easy fix for now. The one I bought was so disgusting that I don't even want to think about it.

I have been wanting an insta pot so maybe this can be my excuse to buy one! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ishandra.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I just took a pot out of my oven after it steeped there all evening and overnight at about 230 degrees, a very slight simmer.

A simmer should happen at about 212 degrees. I would suggest not going under 225, though, in case one's oven is slightly off temperature. You don't want it to fall below a slight simmer.

Even earlier in the day / evening, I only just get it to a boil and turn it down. It's not good for bones to boil for long. Simmer is key. And the oven makes it so easy, other than during hot summertime.

Just before going to bed, turn off the oven for a couple minutes. Then turn it back on, being sure it's 225 - 230 degrees. Some ovens will turn off after a certain number of hours so - at least with my oven - this ensures that it will continue at proper heat all night long.

I make it condensed so the pot is just a four qt. one about half full of water with either one or two carcasses.

I used a stainless steel pasta scoop with perforated holes (not a mesh screen) to strain the bones over a small 2-qt. pot. Mesh strainers are so hard to clean.

Very easy.
-

[ 09-25-2018, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Lightfoot mentions this, and I agree wholeheartedly, it's excellent:

Bonafied Provisions. Organic beef or Chicken, Bone Broth - 24 oz.

https://www.bonafideprovisions.com/

And, indeed, this frozen one is excellent. I called them to be certain they do not poor the hot broth into the packages until it is cooled. This matters a lot. I would never by a broth that pours even the warm liquid into a plastic or plastic lined carton.

I can't really get good beef bones to make a proper broth so I do use the Beef Broth of theirs and make my own chicken broth.

Their plastic pouch is also about as good as one can expect you can see at their site that they take care not to have the dangerous plastic .

Although since even the best quality plastic is, well, a petroleum product and we still don't know all about what transfers from even the "safer" ones, if possible it's better to make one's one, yet, still, this is an excellent brand - and delicious. Store in a good enamel or glass container.

If you freeze in glass jars, be sure to leave room at top and the lid ajar until it freezes so expansion is possible.

Since I make mine so condensed, after cooling to gelatin in fridge for a day, it's easy to put in to small glass jars that each will then make several cups of broth to drink or add to a recipe.
-

[ 09-25-2018, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement