LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Proteolytic Enzymes--are they safe for me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proteolytic Enzymes--are they safe for me?
zeitgeist
Member # 17280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeitgeist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor wants me to take proteolytic Enzymes to eat all my scar tissue in my back from injuries and also to reduce the size of a fibroid tumor in my uterous.

The problem is: "nattokinase" a good powerful enzyme, one I want to take, is "made from soybeans" and I recently did an allergy blood test and it showed me to have a strong allergy to soy. My doctor wants me to stay away from all sources of soy. My other enzyme supplement which I've used for years is called "Vascuzyme" and it has many different enzymes inside each capsule including nattokinase (20,000 fu/mg each capsule)

Am I safe to take nattokinase even though it is made from soy in the same way that someone with lactose intolerance is still safe to use butter, but not lactose-containing cow's milk?

Does anyone know which enzymes are "cyst-busters"?

Thanks everyone
Zeitgeist

Posts: 44 | From Indianapolis | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm sorry you are dealing with so much. This point seems pretty clear to me, though I know it's human nature to try to think one's body might be able to still do whatever it is that we should not.

As soy brings you no joy, it should be easy to be clear as you delete it from your life.

You say that you have recently tested to have "a strong allergy to soy. My doctor wants me to stay away from all sources of soy." (end quote).

You ponder: " . . . Am I safe to take nattokinase even though it is made from soy in the same way that someone with lactose intolerance is still safe to use butter, but not lactose-containing cow's milk? . . . " (end quote)

Someone who is lactose intolerant should NOT consume butter. Ghee, perhaps as the solids are strained.

Lactose intolerance symptoms can vary in intensity among individuals. Though it can be very severe, indeed, it's not necessarily like an allergy - very different. Allergies can kill.

I would not risk making any kind of assumptions. Just avoid soy.

Just because a soy product might have been okay in times past, it's important to heed your recent test results.

If you have an allergy from soy, then this is rule one, then:

No soy for you. No way; now how. No, no, never.

[Unless in the future if you might do some kind of specific allergy reversal protocol but that could take a very long time and would need to be scientifically screened and researched under MD guidance.]

Use a different enzyme formula that is not made with soy or some other formulation for support and to help tissue heal..
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Google comes up with some links that appear promising from a search for:

"Soy free" "Proteolytic Enzymes"

you might also search at VitaCost.com and iHerb.com -- in their menu they have all kinds of things you can search for products to be free from.

Ultimately, you should speak directly with the manufacturer -- or be sure there is some kind of certification stamp for the product you consider regarding being soy-free.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
VitaCost.com has this very reputable formula. Two different variations:

https://www.vitacost.com/wobenzym-ps-100-tablets-1

Wobenzyme PS

Free of:

Milk/dairy, corn, yeast, gluten,

soy, sugar, artificial coloring and preservatives.

https://www.vitacost.com/garden-of-life-wobenzym-n-100-tablets-1

Wobenzym N

Free Of:

Yeast, dairy, soy allergens, artificial colors and preservatives.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A start to your research:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Wobenzym

PubMed Search of medical literature:

Wobenzym - 74 abstracts

https://www.livestrong.com/article/161756-benefits-of-wobenzym/

Benefits of Wobenzym

By Robert Iafelice - Livestrong.com - Aug. 14, 2017
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A side note - regarding lactose intolerance (although you did not say you deal with it but mentioned others).

For many with lactose sensitivity or fuller ramifications of intolerance that can cover various effects, it may not be just lactose / whey in dairy that is the issue.

Casein can cause lots of trouble, too. For those who enjoy butter yet have troubles, ghee - especially when from organic pastures, grass-fed cattle.

https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/ghee-or-clarified-butter/

. . . Both ghee and clarified butter have the milk proteins casein and whey removed and what remains is butter fat.

Casein is a protein that many people do not tolerate, especially people who cannot tolerate gluten. That is because gluten and casein have a similar molecular structure. . . .
-

zeitgeist
Member # 17280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeitgeist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually used to take wobenzyme to help with getting rid of scar tissue from whiplash which I got in a car accident. That year was around 2006.

My doctor went to a big conference and she met many doctors there who told her that all the wobenzyme made in America was fake and only the wobenzyme made in Germany was the real thing. She said you could tell if you were using the real one by its smell. It smelled of cat urine!

So...that was all a while ago--2006. Since then, the issue might be all worked out--but I don't know nor do I know how to know.

I definitely need proteolytic Enzymes for my scar tissue I have all over my back and also the fibroid tumor in my uterus.

I hope I will find something effective and powerful and maybe even something which busts through barrel
cysts--borrelia cysts that is...

Thanks for helping me out--I really appreciate it!

Zeitgeist

Posts: 44 | From Indianapolis | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeitgeist
Member # 17280

I actually gave up gluten and casein and all restaurants for a year back in 2004. I thought it would be healthier for me. I lost more than 20 pounds. I did feel healthy but meal times were depressing because my food seemed boring and monotonus. I ate turkey and Avocado sandwiches on gluten-free bread every day. I ate huge salads almost every day.

For a few years I added back gluten and casein but I guess I maybe missed how I used to feel.

I have not eaten gluten since 2007. However, I do eat dairy and kind of a lot. I eat gluten-free pizza, yougurt, pudding, cream sauces for linguini,
all kinds of things. Gluten-free options in the grocery are more plentiful now. That makes it easier. My 23 and me results told me my genes say I could develop celiac disease. My father has it. I dont--I made sure to do an upper endoscopy just to check for sure.

Does dairy cause inflammation or pain or stiffness or brain fog or lack of energy? I definitely don't get stomach pain or bowel trouble with dairy, but maybe dairy does other unpleasant things to a body.

I also during the year I gave up gluten and Dairy together would only drink fresh-squeezed lemonade every single day. Lots of hard work, back then.

I guess I'm wondering if I should try to give up dairy again. It's hard when Domino's makes such delicious gluten-free pizza!

You seem to know a lot about food...

Zeitgeist

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"Gluten free pizzas" are most often not free of gluten at all -- not until they are totally constructed in a room / facility / kitchen that is is a dedicated space with its own air supply / circulation / tools, etc.

Just because they might use non-gluten ingredients, if it's made in a room that also makes regular pizza dough, it is not at all gluten free.

Lots of research needed for each place. The kitchen / staff / tools all must be kept away from others using wheat flour -- or from rooms where the ventilation system is shared.

Wheat flour flies. And when it travels even from a clerk's apron to a supposed g-f pizza and gets shaken off, that pizza is definitely not g-f. This matters. Sorry. See what your pizza kitchen says about all this.

Aside from gooy cheese and something chewy, you can get the same kinds of pizza flavor experience with tomato paste and garden herbs, salami or whatever other meat or veggie toppings and use to dress up zucchini or spaghetti squash -- or a true GF pasta like Tinkyada makes.

There are also gf pizza crusts made in certified sites - see the labels. Bob's Red Mill has many GF grains and pizza dough -- and the are processed in a certified GF facility -- aside from their other grains.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You might try to find the original Wobenzym then if it worked so well for you before - if it's still made.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Also to consider is that many milk products - so many yogurts also used processed powdered milk and that's got troubles separate from what's discussed here.

Milk / milk products causes phlegm. That's the major reason to avoid it. Phlegm harbors all kinds of germs and the respiratory systems and gut can really hold a lot of phlegm. And, so many other reasons:

http://tinyurl.com/obow8h5

Got Milk? Might Not Be Doing You Much Good

- by Aaron E. Carroll - The New York Times - Nov. 17, 2014

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/07/got-milk-you-dont-need-it/?hp

Got Milk? You Don't Need It

By MARK BITTMAN - The New York Times, July 7, 2012

and follow-up to that:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/more-on-milk/?ref=opinion?hp

July 24, 2012

More on Milk

By MARK BITTMAN -The New York Times

Sidebar: When a lifetime of suffering, medical visits and prescription drugs can be resolved with a not especially challenging dietary change, a certain amount of retroactive frustration seems justifiable.

Not surprisingly, experiences like mine with dairy, outlined in my column of two weeks ago, are more common than unusual, at least according to the roughly 1,300 comments and e-mails we received since then.

In them, people outlined their experiences with dairy and health problems as varied as heartburn, migraines, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, eczema, acne, hives, asthma (``When I gave up dairy, my asthma went away completely''), . . .

. . . Yet if you speak with people who’ve had these kinds of reactive problems, it would appear that the medical establishment is among the last places you’d want to turn for advice. . . .

- full article at link above.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement