LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How do I take Marshmallow Root Powder?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I take Marshmallow Root Powder?
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ordered Marshmallow Root Powder (to try for various stomach/acid reflux problems).

Bag arrived today and has NO instructions on it.

The manufacturer's website says:

"Marshmallow Root Powder can be encapsulated, mixed with water or added to smoothies.

Suggested Dose: 2 - 3 grams of Marshmallow Root Powder 2 - 3 times per day, or as directed by a Herbal Practitioner."

I don't want to encapsulate it as I want it to go down my esophagus.

Can I put it in hot water? Do I need to strain it?

Confused.

Help would be appreciated ...

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
No, you do not need to strain it.

It can be mixed in water to just drink. Be careful when taking out of the package and putting into the water. It's very fine dust and you don't want to breathe that in but if you do, if not coughing, just drink some water.

When stirring into the water, put about 1/2 cup water in first, then start with about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of mrp - and more water till you get about a cup or so.

It has a neutral taste and is not acidic but still, follow with clear water.

Do not take too much until you see how it works with your bowels. Too much, too soon, can cause loose bowels.

Try to get it all mixed in water and drink just bit by bit so you have more control if you hit a little bit that is clumped.

Then drink about 8 - 12 oz. more water afterward.

As with all "other" things do not take at the same time with Rx as it might interfere with Rx absorption in some way.

Just re-read your post. As you want it to help your esophagus, after you get some in your stomach, save some aside - and you drink a good glass of water - and then finish with a little more watered down mrp and let that sit in your mouth / esophagus for a while.

Hope it helps.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=037117;p=0

MARSHMALLOW ROOT (Althaea officinalis) - Links set
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Keebler!

Very helpful - as usual :-)

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made peanut butterballs with it
Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Wow, that sounds tasty! Thanks, daystar :-) Did it help? What did you use it for?

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I don't know how to say this without risking offense for what seems like such a great idea.

And, while it surely does not seem like it, frequent posting of "wait a minute - there's something else to think about first" has me not again wanting to rain on someone's parade.

But marshmallow root is not at all offensive in taste or acidity and other than being careful not to breathe in powder when mixing, it's very easy to just mix in water and drink. Mix with just a little water first, to form a paste, then slowly add a little more water.

When it's combined with a fatty food, it may not be able to do what it should to coat the tender lining of the gut tissue.

First, there are some lower oxalate nut butters to consider.

Peanuts are very high in oxalic acid / oxalates. Oxalate crytals, are so tiny, they can literally rip though the stomach lining and allow "leaky gut" to develop - or make leaky gut worse .

Usually, marshmallow root powder is used to help heal "leaky gut" or other stomach lining irritation. And it's best not to mix with any foods.

When those oxalate crystals make their way through the gut lining, they can go anywhere in the body and cause all kinds of pain, dysfunction of nerves - anywhere, even the brain and heart, and do various other kinds of damage, even into the bones to weaken bone density.

There are some supplements (mag. citrate, calcium citrate and careful dose of Potassium citrate - too much can cause heart rhythm issues)

that can help to not absorb oxalates (as much) but it's best to avoid high oxalates in the first place.

What I've learned about oxalates lately has me pretty sure that the marshmallow root powder would not be adequate to prevent oxalate toxicity / damage in the presence of high oxalates.

Spinach, Swiss Chard, almonds, almond butter, almond milk are also all VERY high in oxalates. Any green smoothies (even with some dark fruits as they can be very high, too) . . . and nearly all nut milks are very high, due to the concentration.

I do not know which other nut butters to consider but a really good oxalate "expert" might know. Some charts conflict so consult at least several to be sure the detail is consistent.

Keep in mind that humans were not intended to eat more than a modest handful of nuts at any one time. And we had to work really hard to get those, too. Before machines came along much to our delight, of course, but not likely to our benefit.

And for those with "leaky gut" issues, the oxalate crystals in even a few nuts can rip the stomach with microscopic tears.

Sigh. Big sigh (for I, too, am a former lover of peanut butter).

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/137565

Oxalate toxicity / damage LINKS
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement