LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » kombucha

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: kombucha
mariel21
Member # 35881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mariel21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone can figure this out you are a genius. I started drinking kombucha as I liked it and thought it would help my gi tract. I was on no antibiotics when I did this. Many of my symptoms for years have been bloating, gas, and abdominal pain not connected to antibiotic use.

Drank 8 bottles over two weeks- no problem. Started the second case and bam- hives, eyes wouldn't open and trouble swallowing. Ran to primary care and they diagnosed severe allergic reaction. I was on prednisone for two weeks. Worst reaction I got in my life.

I don't buy allergy but think the organisms in this drink competed with whatever has been living in my intestines for 20 years now. Diagnosed with all co-infections.Your thoughts are appreciated.

(breaking up the post for easier reading for many here)

[ 01-20-2019, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 95 | From new york | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mariel21, Read this>

https://www.beautyepic.com/kombucha-side-effects/

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-538/kombucha

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariel21
Member # 35881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mariel21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow- never going near it again. Thanks.
Posts: 95 | From new york | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:
mariel21, Read this>

https://www.beautyepic.com/kombucha-side-effects/

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-538/kombucha

Steve

While it certainly doesn't sound like you should take it again, Mariel, the 1st link above is way over the top in denigrating kombucha. I know a lot about it and have used it for years. It can be very helpful.

However, it sounds like you used really a lot of it in a short period of time! It does cause detox in the liver, etc. You have to go slowly with detox.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariel21
Member # 35881

Thank you but I don't think this was a detox reaction as it was so severe.
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I didn't mean to imply that it was. It was clearly allergic.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme disease can cause Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Kombucha and other ferments will raise histamine levels to the extreme.

You may have triggered something here. I ran into a similar issue with sauerkraut a few years back.

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=036299;p=0

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a permeability thing with histamine reaction when yeasts and bacteria was released in the gut ...i would do a full parasite panel and cleanse followed by demulcient herbs . Have you ever had giardia or been to the sw ? Any lupus like ana or sx ? Homemade Kombucha and vsl3 helped form a quik layer when i was on iv abx btw

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariel21
Member # 35881

Doing parasite testing now but it's a hit or miss. What is sw? If it is Mast Cell Activation how can I know? No doctor ever proposed it but as we all know that doesn't mean anything. Thank you all so much.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SW . . Southwest???

It's hard to know about MCAD or MCAS, but you do have doctors in NY and MA who are experts on it. Might want to join a mast cell group if any of the above symptoms sound familiar to you.

It's not well known among doctors, but they are beginning to learn about it. It was first identified about 10 years ago.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariel21
Member # 35881

Thank you- sounds like my symptoms but who knows. So tired of all of this.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement