LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » whole-food multi without herbs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: whole-food multi without herbs?
carolync
Member # 50016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carolync     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working with a genetic practitioner who feels the methyl-folate in my methylated multivitamin may be making my crappy-detoxing even worse.

His solution for me is a multivitamin made from whole foods instead of a synthetic one, telling me taking 'regular' folate in small amounts from a whole food source is ok.

I don't do well with supplements containing herbs. I cannot find any whole-food multivitamin that doesn't have a ton of herbs listed as ingredients.

Does anyone know of a multivitamin made from whole foods that doesn't contain herbs?

Posts: 57 | From New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our family uses Garden of Life Vitamin Code, a raw whole-food complex multivitamin. Note: we are in no way associated with this company.

I am looking at the label on the bottle and it states there are raw fruit/vegetable blends, raw probiotic/enzyme blends, and raw antioxidant/immune support complexes.

Here is a link for you to look up the ingredients:

https://www.gardenoflife.com/content/product-category/product-lines/vitamin-code/

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carolync
Member # 50016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carolync     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hopingandpraying:
I am looking at the label on the bottle and it states there are raw fruit/vegetable blends, raw probiotic/enzyme blends, and raw antioxidant/immune support complexes.

Here is a link for you to look up the ingredients:

https://www.gardenoflife.com/content/product-category/product-lines/vitamin-code/

Thank you very much. I wish I could take this. I am so prone to horrible herxing even with probiotics so I will have to keep them separate from a daily multi.

Anyone else know of any without additional herbs?

Posts: 57 | From New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I take, from Germany.
https://www.sunday.de/folsaeure-folat/folsaeure-l-methylfolat-400-bioaktiv-quatrefolic.html

translation: "This preparation contains L-methylfolate as Quatrefolic, a premium active ingredient that achieves almost complete purity and is guaranteed to consist of 99.9 percent of the bioactive form L-methylfolate.

Quatrefolic is a patented ingredient that binds methylfolate to pure vegan glucosamine from fermentation to stabilize it for optimal shelf-life and efficacy.

Glucosamine is a valuable and natural component of various bodily tissues and therefore an additional gain for the overall effect.

Quatrefolic is characterized by a previously unattainable bioavailability and can be used directly by the body.

Due to its extreme purity, high stability and outstanding bioavailability, Quatrefolic is one of the two highest quality and most effective forms of L-methylfolate."

Try to google Quatrefolic.

I use this company's supplements (Sunday Natural) for some time now, and I find they do their best to find the most bio available and closer to nature supplements.

I'm super sensitive and I had great experiences with Sunday Natural products. They don't have everything, but what they have is usually very good quality.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found more info:
https://www.quatrefolic.com/quatrefolic_vs_folic.php

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Dr. Mercola’s whole food multivitamins. I don’t see much for herbs in the ingredients.

https://media.mercola.com/Assets/PDF/product-labels/multivitamin-plus-for-women-web.pdf

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might like “Nature’s Way Alive” Brand, I like their Garden Goodness multivitamin. They have several good options, all great quality.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carolync
Member # 50016

quote:
Originally posted by Brussels:
That's what I take, from Germany.
https://www.sunday.de/folsaeure-folat/folsaeure-l-methylfolat-400-bioaktiv-quatrefolic.html

translation: "This preparation contains L-methylfolate as Quatrefolic, a premium active ingredient that achieves almost complete purity and is guaranteed to consist of 99.9 percent of the bioactive form L-methylfolate.

Quatrefolic is a patented ingredient that binds methylfolate to pure vegan glucosamine from fermentation to stabilize it for optimal shelf-life and efficacy.

Glucosamine is a valuable and natural component of various bodily tissues and therefore an additional gain for the overall effect.

Quatrefolic is characterized by a previously unattainable bioavailability and can be used directly by the body.

Due to its extreme purity, high stability and outstanding bioavailability, Quatrefolic is one of the two highest quality and most effective forms of L-methylfolate."

Thank you for the suggestion. I will have to check with my genetic-guy first since he does not want me on Methyl-folate. Sounds like this product still includes that.
carolync
Member # 50016

quote:
Originally posted by D Bergy:
I take Dr. Mercola’s whole food multivitamins. I don’t see much for herbs in the ingredients.

https://media.mercola.com/Assets/PDF/product-labels/multivitamin-plus-for-women-web.pdf

Dan

Thank you for the idea. Unfortunately there are a few things in here I need to avoid...chlorella, spirulina, etc.
carolync
Member # 50016

Still looking. This almost seems impossible to just find one with only fruits and veggies. [Frown]
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe contact Garden of Life to ask if any of their other products contain what you are looking for. I am not familiar with all of them, just the Vitamin Code ones.

Here is a link to their website:

https://support.gardenoflife.com/

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

How about Juice Plus? I remembered my son took it years ago.

Here is a link:

https://www.juiceplus.com/us/en/what-is-juice-plus/ingredients1

Brussels
Member # 13480

I thought you wanted methylfolate, but you say you want just fruits / veggies?

why not taking then fruits and veggies in real version?!

carolync
Member # 50016

quote:
Originally posted by Brussels:
I thought you wanted methylfolate, but you say you want just fruits / veggies?

why not taking then fruits and veggies in real version?!

No, as I mentioned in my original post my genetic-lyme practioner doesn't want me taking methyl-folate. He feels it 'may' be making my crappy detoxing worse. He's a brain so I trust him, although I don't know if taking it in my old multi was actually making my detoxing even worse. It sucks because everything I hear says we need the methyl form of b's.

I do eat a ton of organic veggies and low-glycemic fruits (limit the fruit). Doing my best to follow the Wahls protocol of 9 cups a day. I just don't know if that's 'enough' as far as daily vitamins since I'm very sick and need all the help I can get.

My next appointment with him I'm going to see if he'd be ok with a multi with regular b's instead of the methylated kind. That's my only solution so far since I can't find a wholefood multi without additional herbs, probiotics, etc. I'm just too sensitive for all of that in a daily multi. He's ok with a small amount of regular folate from a whole food source.

MissVictoria
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissVictoria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go:

https://www.megafood.com/vitamins-supplements/multivitamins/

Posts: 241 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carolync
Member # 50016

quote:
Originally posted by MissVictoria:
Here you go:

https://www.megafood.com/vitamins-supplements/multivitamins/

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually found this brand online the other day and was sooo relieved to finally find their multi without added herbs. I ordered it and when I got it noticed it has a fungus strain in it.... S. Cerevisiae....

I was so bummed because I need to take any probiotic-type things like this separate from a daily multi because I have wicked herxes on them. I also heard some can be allergic to S. Cerevisiae. I am so sensitive and have to take low-histamine probiotics to avoid reactions.

Other than that, this multi looks perfect!! I wish they made one without this strain. Or some other company made something similar to MegaFood's simpler whole-food multi's.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Might I suggest not a supplement at all but actual real food - in a condensed form (in addition to good nutrients from grass-fed ruminants like beef & lamb - muscle meats and liver -

- and even butter or ghee if dairy sensitive for ghee is casein free, for the GLA from grass fed cows - which can be very nutrient dense). See Nina Teicholz' book and YouTube lectures "The Big Fat Surprise: why meat, butter and cheese belong in a healthy diet".

Chlorella & Spirulina

I've ditched all vitamin supplements years ago in favor of C & S . . . . although, you - with MTHFR issues might need one or two particular kinds of a substance, you might be able to just go with C & S

https://draxe.com/7-proven-chlorella-benefits-side-effects/

7 Proven Chlorella Benefits

Dr. Axe

Excerpts:

. . . CHLORELLA is a blue-green algae like its cousin SPIRULINA, and we will compare the nutrients of these superfoods later in the article.. . .

. . . CHLORELLA is one of the most nutrient-dense superfoods in the world.

[my note: 3 tablespoons seems like a very large amount for a single serving. This would most likely be spread out for 3 x a day]

A 1-ounce (3 tbsp) serving of chlorella contains:

Protein—16g

Vitamin A—287% RDA
Vitamin B2—71% RDA

Vitamin B3—33% RDA
Iron—202% RDA

Magnesium—22% RDA
Zinc—133% RDA

In addition, chlorella contains a good amount of vitamin B1, vitamin B6 and phosphorus . . . .

. . . Chlorella benefits compared with those of. Spirulina

They are both waterborne organisms, but at the cellular level, they are quite different.

Both spirulina and chlorella have a concentrated balance of nutrients shown to help cleanse and detoxify the body, and a high concentration of protein that supports energy and clarity.

In fact, spirulina has been used in the World Health Organization’s feeding programs for malnourished children in undeveloped countries.

A single one-gram dose of spirulina a day can counteract Vitamin A deficiency that can lead to blindness.

Chlorella’s protein levels, and combination of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients and phytochemicals go one step beyond spirulina. When used in tandem, their powers intensify. . . .

[My note from another source: spirulina can be more stimulating though it's never ever even come close to being that for me, it might for others. Might be best to avoid in evenings.]

I'll be back with a full links set when I can find where I filed that.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/36235?#000000

CHLORELLA & SPIRULINA - LINKS SET

I get mine in powder form from Mountain Rose Herbs in Oregon. Do not buy just any kind from just anywhere.

You want to be certain there are knowledgeable and honest people who will test each batch they obtain to be sure that heavy metals or other contaminants are absent - and also know exactly the methods uses, have visited the suppliers, etc.

Just one of many excellent places to obtain:

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search?page=1&q=Chlorella&utf8=%E2%9C%93

MRH - Chlorella

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search?page=1&q=spirulina&utf8=%E2%9C%93

MRH - Spirulina

Call them and chat if you have questions beyond what's on their webpage.
-

[ 04-16-2019, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Consider OXALATE damage

Also consider that many vegetables are high in oxalates and then their nutrients are blocked, in addition to the damage from the oxalates to gut lining and, well, just about anywhere else in the body for some folks.

For instance, spinach is sky high. some kinds of kale are, too, but lacinato kale is said to be lower / moderate.

Some kinds of nuts, too, especially almonds.

In my research on oxalates and chlorella & spirulina, what I've come up with is that both appear to be low and also helpful in reducing oxalate buildup.

Fruits, too, can be a problem for the liver - and glucose levels) if more than just one very small serving of whole fruit (never juice) per day, only at the end of a good meal so the fructose in not a direct hit to the liver as to cause "fatty liver" and other problems..

Great Plains Lab - for oxalate links / presentation by their director

Sally K. Norton, YouTube presentations
-

carolync
Member # 50016

quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/36235?#000000

CHLORELLA & SPIRULINA - LINKS SET

I get mine in powder form from Mountain Rose Herbs in Oregon. Do not buy just any kind from just anywhere.

You want to be certain there are knowledgeable and honest people who will test each batch they obtain to be sure that heavy metals or other contaminants are absent - and also know exactly the methods uses, have visited the suppliers, etc.

Just one of many excellent places to obtain:

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search?page=1&q=Chlorella&utf8=%E2%9C%93

MRH - Chlorella

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search?page=1&q=spirulina&utf8=%E2%9C%93

MRH - Spirulina

Call them and chat if you have questions beyond what's on their webpage.
-

Thank you for the suggestion. My genetic practitioner suggested I take a Spirulina supplement, he led me to a very clean one to take instead of a regular multi. I had a horrible detox reaction on it so I can't take it, I have a really awful detox problem issue...just created a separate post about that. Chlorella does the same thing to me.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement