LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Antabuse (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Antabuse
mariel21
Member # 35881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mariel21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True- it seems like everyone dealing with these illnesses is a walking experiment. No healthy person truly understands what this is like. Gets frustrating when you feel alone in this.
Posts: 95 | From new york | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariel21
Member # 35881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mariel21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True- it seems like everyone dealing with these illnesses is a walking experiment. So frustrating that there in not one solution for all the problems that go along with this.
Posts: 95 | From new york | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariel21
Member # 35881

Bad brain day-posted twice.
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably worth stating twice...wish the healthy people and doctors would see it!
Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Digby:

I understand that the bug is primary but a good diet can be a useful tool in the process.

I don’t disagree.
Posts: 146 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day 23

I had a sudden onset Bartonella herx last night. This has never happened to me before. Normally symptoms build up slowly. Last night I went from normal to feeling awful in the space of three minutes.

The symptoms were all neurological, and it was the worst Bart herx I’ve ever experienced. The level of physical agitation was incredible. I simply couldn’t sit still.

I’ve never herxed like that before.

For lack of a better option I went to bed, and I was able to pass out, waking up 11 hours later.

Today I’m experiencing a similar symptoms. Albeit slightly less severe.

Many patients have reported a spike in their symptoms around day 12, and around day 22. So this matches the other case reports.

[ 08-23-2019, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Charles12 ]

Posts: 146 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariel21
Member # 35881

Oh God- feel better.
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are all hanging onto every reply posted.
So want this to work for all. 💚

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no_lyme_in_florida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took my first dose this morning, 125 mg. Didn't drop dead. I felt some muscle twitching after a few hours in places that I normally don't get them, which I do when I herx. A little sleepy also.

I plan on taking another 125mg on Monday.

Posts: 233 | From ft. myers, florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by mariel21:
Oh God- feel better.

Thank you Mariel.

I’m feeling better today.

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just discovered your posts about this drug and I am astonished it is working so well for those of you using it.

I have been sick for 13 years, fooling myself for five of them that feeling the way, I do was just getting old.

Now I really want to try it!!

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by nefferdun:
I have been sick for 13 years, fooling myself for five of them that feeling the way, I do was just getting old.

You’re sick for so long, you forget what normal is like.

I’m on day twenty something, and it feels like I’ve gotten my brain back. I do have some strange and unusual herxes though. And my evening routine is, come back from work, and go to sleep. I feel awfully tired.

But this is far and away the most effective drug I’ve taken. My brain has never been this clear.

no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no_lyme_in_florida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to take my second 125mg dose this morning instead of waiting til Monday. Feel tired and neck has become stiffer than usual.
Posts: 233 | From ft. myers, florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariel21
Member # 35881

Getting your brain back is one of the most encouraging reasons to take this. When you say clear do you mean feeling connected to reality or memory getting better? Can you specify as it would help me.Thank you.
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
Getting your brain back is one of the most encouraging reasons to take this. When you say clear do you mean feeling connected to reality or memory getting better? Can you specify as it would help me.Thank you.

Well, I'm funny again, I do think faster, and my memory i better. But most of all, I just feel like myself. My old personality has reemerged. It's been really cool.

I realize I keep on saying this, but I think we should all be on Atabuse, yesterday.

I tried Dapsone, and it helped with my inflammation. But that was it, and I realized very soon that was all I was getting, a potent anti inflammatory.

With this, this has been different. The brain fog is gone, and I guess I'm the person I was before I got sick? Brain wise at least? That's incredible.

I do appear to be in some kind of herx cycle though. Currently it's the running nose phase, which means I'm due for another round of eye pain shortly.

It is absolutely worth it though.

no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

I woke up this morning with a runny nose and some eye pain. Also some muscle soreness and stiffness which surprised me since I haven't done anything physical that might otherwise cause this.

Also had some anxiety last night for a few hours. I am in this for the long haul, but I know I am going to be in for some rough days with this drug due to the herxing.

I have read some accounts of people having success with this drug at low doses (below 500mg a day), and that might be the route I have to take after seeing what 125mg has made me feel like.

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

“Also some muscle soreness and stiffness which surprised me since I haven't done anything physical that might otherwise cause this.“

I’m also experiencing this.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“Also some muscle soreness and stiffness which surprised me since I haven't done anything physical that might otherwise cause this.“

"I’m also experiencing this."

Me too! Plus a host of other herx symptoms.

Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariel21
Member # 35881

Maybe those symptoms are a side effect of the drug???
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

I made a list of the Sx and tagged them as Existing, Existing Exacerbated, Old Reactivated and New. Existing I don't pay attention to. Existing Exacerbated and Old Reactivated I think of as a legitimate Herx. New is probably a side effect of the drug. Not a perfect system but it works well enough for me.

Most of the current Sx are in the Herx category. I have a couple of new Sx such as increased appetite and depressed mood which I think are side effects of the drug.

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good, good, good!

I've just added this link to the Treating Lyme website in hopes it will help others.

On there already are notes I've taken from some patient advocates and Lyme treating doctors too.

Maybe something you'd like to know or that can help you is on there?

The posts are sometimes spread apart, so to not miss something please scroll down even if you think it is the end of the page.

(I had to leave spaces to add more later.)

https://sites.google.com/view/treating-lyme-related-diseases/disulfiram-treatment

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody home? I have had trouble posting, sorry for the delay.
I honestly do not know if my symptoms are the same as before I started with this protocol.
However, whatever is happening has me rehearsing for a new Zombie movie.
Bad neck pain (but I do have horrible cervical arthritis),
muscles twitching like I am a crazy man, napping every 30 seconds, sleeping LONG hours. Body temperature fluctuating through the night, etc. Other that those issues,
a lovely day in the neighborhood.
Still looking for that damn tick that bit me... 25 years ago.

Oh yes, I upped my dosage to 375 from 250...(started with 125 over a month ago. I have taken a few 3 day breaks as well. Did they help? Have no idea.

TINNY! So good to see you and your cup are still around! I miss you all!

Peace, Love, and Wellness
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

I have only taken 3 pills three days apart, 125mg each time, and I also feel like a zombie. I am having a stiff neck with pain, stiff and sore muscles, incredible fatigue, muscle twitching, and pounding headaches. My body just feels heavy, like I am carrying a hundred pounds around on my back whenever I walk. As noted by Digby above, I too am having a depressed mood with this drug.

All of which I take as a good sign that I am stirring up these trailer trash free loading spirochetes that have been squatting in my body for way way way too long.

It's me or the keets now, I am in this til one of us is no more. The party is over for those buggers one way or another.

I am not taking any other drugs, but I am drinking 4 to 6 cups of decaf green tea a day. I have read that green tea has compounds that are antimicrobial as well as reading published research that says green tea enhances the effectiveness of certain antibiotics.

With the way I feel, I have no idea how I would ever be able to tolerate 500mg of this stuff. Right now I am taking encouragement from a LLMD comment in the link on Disulfiram Treatment that Tincup posted above:

"LLMD Comment

I have heard from several who have used DSM.

All have had to start on tiny doses, and because it has a long half life, can start with twice a week!

Seems to take a VERY long time to be able to raise the dose- months!

But by the time they can tolerate a full dose, and maintain it for 6 weeks, they seem go into a full remission."

mariel21
Member # 35881

Wow- this is very encouraging. JR- it's good you can still maintain a sense of humor while going through this.
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

I am dosing 125 mg every third day. I herx pretty badly on day 2 and by day 3 I am feeling better, when I dose again.

The process makes me think of people who go through chemo. The difference being chemo is seriously toxic, while DSM isn't. They both kill their respective targets, so the analogy helps me with staying positive through the worst of it. Maybe it will help someone else.

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by no_lyme_in_florida:
I am having a stiff neck with pain, stiff and sore muscles, incredible fatigue, muscle twitching, and pounding headaches. My body just feels heavy, like I am carrying a hundred pounds around on my back whenever I walk. As noted by Digby above, I too am having a depressed mood with this drug.
remission."

I also had a few days where I felt heavy. Perhaps two or three.

Regarding depression, I wonder if that's connected to Babesia die off? To make a connection. Are the Mepron Blues Mepron, or is it atovaquone hitting the Babesia?

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mariel...the choice is either I laugh when possible, or walk in front of a bus... sooooo... I choose humor. Where are you in NY?
Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

quote:
Originally posted by Charles12:
quote:
I am having a stiff neck with pain, stiff and sore muscles, incredible fatigue, muscle twitching, and pounding headaches. My body just feels heavy, like I am carrying a hundred pounds around on my back whenever I walk. As noted by Digby above, I too am having a depressed mood with this drug.
remission."

I also had a few days where I felt heavy. Perhaps two or three.

Regarding depression, I wonder if that's connected to Babesia die off? To make a connection. Are the Mepron Blues Mepron, or is it atovaquone hitting the Babesia?

Right now I think the depression is mainly a side effect of the drug and also possibly part of the herxing. I have experienced drastic mood changes like this before when taking other antibiotics.

About ten years ago I took Malarone for 4 or 5 months, and afterwards my night sweats and dark urine stopped completely, so I have always been optimistic that I have cleared the babesia from my body. Those were two symptoms that my LLMD told me were consistent with Babesia.

One thing I will add, even with the bad herxing, I have had several hours each day when it lets up and I can almost remember what it felt like to be normal. The mental clarity and sense of calm during those times are something I haven't felt since maybe before getting bit. And those moments have been almost pure Heaven after being sick for so long.

mariel21
Member # 35881

JR- in Connecticut now. Yes you are right. Thanks for making me laugh again!!!!!!!!!
JRWagner
Member # 3229

In CT? I was bitten in New Caanan. Upper class tick.
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Lyme where did you find that awesome , encouraging LLMD quote?

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

quote:
Originally posted by DaveNJ:
No Lyme where did you find that awesome , encouraging LLMD quote?

Dave

Dave, scroll up to the post by Tincup and click on her link. She has a page for Disulfiram Treatment and if you scroll to the bottom there are several LLMD quotes.
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Tincup, if you see this, I think the link you have on your Disulfiram Treatment page ... "LymeNet Post By Patients On The Disulfiram Protocol" is not working properly. It doesn't go to this thread but to another unrelated one. At least it does for me.
mariel21
Member # 35881

Far from New Caanan but I got sick in New York. Hope we all get better soon!
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JR! Great to see you!! And I can see you still have a sense of humor too! That will help through the struggles.

Nice to see so many I haven't seen in a while.

My fault. Been working on Lyme "projects" nearly all of the time, and I do miss you all!

[group hug]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey no Lyme in FL...

I very much appreciate you letting me know.

I made the correction and have no excuse for messing it up other than to say I am goofy!

But then, you knew that!

[Big Grin]

Thanks again!!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Update... short one... I slept like a log last night... one that was facing a sawmill..
Actually I had really fun and vivid dreams... but they ended well.
Ah yes... to quote the Greatful Dead... "What a looong, strange trip it's been..."

I am currently taking 375 mgs of disulfiram. I have been wondering... na... well... OK... should I take a break and give myself a chance to clear all the deletrius, or (since I sleepy well and had 90% Rotten Apple rated dreams, stay the course?

A Lymie's choice... to dose or not to dose.

And now there's this microplastics ting.. waddamWegonna doo?

As an aside, or front or back... did youze knows dat washin polyester, or other synthetic fabrics leads to microplastics leaching into the wadda and, because demo knuckleheads at do sewage plants not having filtration that can trap did stuff, letting this crap back into our rivers, stream, lakes, oceans and even puddles in da street?
Gonna have to call for a meetin' wit da fife families again.. oh boy, Vinnie is gonna be pissed...

I am mostly vegan, but once in a while like a nice piece of wild salmon... or organic chicken breast... very rarely do I break my routine.

Peace, Love, and Wellness,
JRW

no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

JR, I remembered seeing a comment somewhere where a LLMD recommended taking periodic breaks while taking this drug to give the body a rest and time to deal with the inflammation caused by the Herxheimer reactions, but right now I can't remember where I saw it.

I understand the desire to get better, though, and to keep with the treatment.

no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

I found this on the 'Disulfiram for Lyme' Facebook Group that Tincup has linked on her Disulfiram Treatment page.

It is a post from August 15:

"Dr. H. talks about Disulfiram for Lyme in this great podcast at minute 31 if u haven't heard it yet. He says it's now the number 1 drug regarding the strong herxheimer reactions, dapson is nr. 2!"

You can listen to the podcast of Dr. H at this link if you want:

https://www.lillianmcdermott.com/richard-horowitz-md-lyme-disease-awareness-advances/

JRWagner
Member # 3229

I hate the mechanics of this site... make one small mistake and one has to go back to square one.

That said, I took mmy 375mgs again based on my good sleep and dreams last night.
Can't wait to see what the next episode wi bring! Previews at 6PM.

[ 08-29-2019, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: JRWagner ]

JRWagner
Member # 3229

It is only 1:36 and feel weak and drained... NAP TIME! TA DA...
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JR - sure sounds like major herxing that you're going thru.

One month until i start.

Dave

--------------------

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Major herxing for me as well. I am going to skip taking a dose over the weekend coming up to give my body a chance to recover a little.

I also don't want to be major herxing if Hurricane Dorian causes the power to go out for any extended period of time in my part of Florida.

DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Makes sense....stay safe no Lyme.

--------------------

DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Makes sense....stay safe no Lyme.

--------------------

JRWagner
Member # 3229

My post from yesterday is gone. This does not make me happy.

Took a day break yesterday... will resume 250 mgs today... 375 might have been to high but really, how can I tell?

Ugh.

no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

I have not taken a pill since last week, and probably will not for a few days more. The three pills (125mg) that I had taken three days apart gave me a herx like I had never had before.

This weekend was unbelievably miserable, all I did was lay in bed and hold my head to keep it from shaking. I slept like a baby last night, though, and woke up this morning feeling better.

I have decided not to push it, I am not going to try to go to fast and overwhelm my body with bad herxing. If I have to take 125mg once a week for 6 months , that is what I am going to do.

I have not been able to see my LLMD (Dr. C, Midwest) for many years due to financial and other reasons, but I have always remembered him telling me that the majority of his recovered patients told him the same thing..."low and slow was the way to go".

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Yikes.. I know what a disulfuram herx can do. Perhaps you can try halving the 125 three times a week?
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

I went for a run yesterday.

This is not in itself usual. There have been periods over the last ten years where I've tried to keep up with it.

You can't get well without excercise

I remember being told that.

It was always painful though. I could never get enough air. And muscles, they felt leaden. My legs would often just dangle, spastically, from my body. I seemed to have little control over them. And so they would clang together as I ran. On the best days, I couldn't handle more than a mile or two, and I did them slowly.

This run was more than a little painful. I am out shape, and I was huffing and puffing. But there was something remarkable about yesterday.

It felt, it felt the way it used to. My legs worked, moving in unison with arms. My muscles. Breathing came easy. And when I finished, there was just that wonderful rush, that feeling of elation as endorphins coursed through me.

I can run again.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Thanks for the update Charles. Very encouraging!!
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Cool... how long have you had Lyme?

Still taking disulfuram? Are you taking any abx?
Keep on keeping on!

Pease, Love and Wellness,
JRW

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Charles12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10 years.

Just 500mg of DSF once a day.

This is day 28.

quote:

Keep on keeping on!

You too [Smile]
JRWagner
Member # 3229

JUST 500 mgs... yikes. I can't fathom taking that amount... wish I could.
Some consider 125 mgs too much. We are the Guinea pigs indeed.

Hope you are cleared... the herxes are horrible.

I took 250 yesterday... staying awake is not easy... and sleeping too much is not good for your heart.

Lovely.

Peace, Love, and Wellness,
JRW

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ordered DSF which should be her in five days. I thought I was having a relapse of bartonella but the doc's nurse called yesterday to tell me I am "very positive" for Lyme Disease but not the co-infections.

That is surprising because one of my symptoms is sore soles of feet in the morning when I first get out of bed. Other than that my primary complaint is complete exhaustion.

I also get frequent headaches that are relieved by imetrex, but only imetrex. Does this sound like Lyme to you? I hope the DSF works on me.

The doc prescribed Bactrim which was making me nauseated so she cut that dose into a quarter and added Biaxin. I tried Biaxin years ago and could not tolerate it at all so I don't know if I will even pick it up.

I used Bactrim for 9 months in 2010, and then five more months in 2014, and I was not cured. In addition I was given Doxy, Biaxin, Zithro, Levaquin and Ketek plus Mepron, Malarone and Coartem for Babesia. That does not include all of the herbs - tons of them.

I believe whatever lived through those assaults are now resistant to to those drugs, so what is the point of taking them again and just killing off all of my gut flora, stressing my liver and giving me side effects.

I always get to a point where I cannot tolerate ABX and need a break. This time I could only take the Bactrim two weeks before it was making me vomit. It seems like a good idea to try the DFL before I can't tolerate any drugs again. So that is what I plan to do.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Big problem... was in the shower earlier and started slight shaking in my entire body a d felt like I was getting Vertigo. I had to sit down in the shower... got out and basically collapsed on the bed.

Stopping antivuse. Neck is still and painful.

Be careful. Some of can could react to disulfuram alone... not sure if this was a herx.

JRW

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

I would guess herx. You don't read about these symptoms with alcoholics.

Can you tell me what your pills look like? Out of curiosity?

Mine are white powder and say OP 706.

The bioavailability of DSF varies by manufacturer. I'm curious if that's a factor.

Or if it has more to do with bacteria load, the strain of bacteria, gender, and genetics.

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

"The bioavailability of DSF varies by manufacturer."

Tacking on to this. There was a discussion in the Facebook group about the quality of the pills coming from different manufactures. Bioavailability varies wildly, and two pills of equal strength, may not actually be comparable. This may explain some of the different responses, and why some people are reacting more strongly than others.

The most bioavailable form of DSF is an effervescent tablet, think alka seltzer.

no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

My Antabuse is by Teva Pharma and are effervescent tablets. Maybe that is part of the reason why I had such a strong herx. I am also in a pretty bad way physically with my Lyme, not completely bedridden before treatment began but close.
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
My Antabuse is by Teva Pharma and are effervescent tablets. Maybe that is part of the reason why I had such a strong herx.

Bloods levels were two to three times higher with effervescent tablets. So that makes a lot of sense.

Eating a light meal also increases absorption.

no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Charles, thanks for posting this information. I don't feel so bad anymore, I was starting to think I would never get better if I couldn't even take starting out with 125mg.

I also had a small meal of some oatmeal and a little yogurt before each dose.

I am feeling much better today, the herx is definitely settling down, I think I am going to take 62.5mg my next dose and see how I do.

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

Here's an excerpt

quote:
A comparison of the bioavailability of disulfiram (DSF) after administration of non‐effervescent Antabuse® tablets (CP Pharmaceuticals, UK) and Antabuse® effervescent tablets Antabus® (A/S Dumex, DK) has been made in two cross‐over studies.

The first study included 6 volunteers who were given 400 mg DSF after an overnight fast. The bioavailability of DSF after administration of non‐effervescent was found to be only 27 ff/o of that achieved with effervescent tablets.

The second study included 24 volunteers who were given 800 mg DSF after a light standardized meal. The relative bioavailability of DSF after administration of non‐effervescent compared with effervescent tablets was found to be only 34%.

In addition to the difference in bioavailability of DSF after administration of the two preparations, a considerable difference was seen between the two studies. A light meal seems both to increase the bioavailability of DSF and to reduce the interindividual variation. A two to threefold increase in the bioavailability of DSF was found.

Thus, the bioavailability of DSF appears to depend on both the formulation (preparation) and the mode of administration. A lack of bioequivalence between the two investigated DSF preparations was found.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1992.tb03312.x
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by nefferdun:
That is surprising because one of my symptoms is sore soles of feet in the morning when I first get out of bed.

That's the hallmark of Bartonella, no?

I believe DSF kills bartonella, based on the herxes I've experienced.

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Is there a reason three of my posts have been deleted?
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Hey gang...just wanted to say thanks for all the updates. Very helpful.

i will throw my two cents in for those of you getting crushed by the drug. Sitting on the sidelines listening to everyone's bizarre flare ups it couldn't be any more clear to me that these are herxes. Take solace because it appears this med is killing something we have been unable to reach for a long time. i know when your in the battle its so hard but it seems to be working.

keep in mind you will all have to keep me sane in October when i start.

week 4 on anti-inflammation diet and i'm having herxes from yeast die-off all involving the brain. But it is a text book herx...so what i'm doing is working. so i'm going to stick to it.

keep the faith

Dave

--------------------

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Charles, Alvogen the make of my Disulfuram.
I have stopped taking Disulfuram as of my horrible reaction yesterday.
I will wait until 120 hours+plus have elapsed and re-evaluate with my Lyme Expert.

JRW

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by DaveNJ:
Sitting on the sidelines listening to everyone's bizarre flare ups it couldn't be any more clear to me that these are herxes

I think so too.
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by JRWagner:
Charles, Alvogen the make of my Disulfuram.

Thank you!

Mine came from Duramed Pharmaceuticals.

I’ve asked my local pharmacy to make me compounded effervescent tablets.

Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Charles12

Could you take your disulfiram with Alka Selzer antacid and pain relief?

Basically effervescent formulas are made with sodium bicarbonate and citric acid, which this Alka Selzer product has. Also would help with herx's. Thoughts?

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mariel21
Member # 35881

I have been monitoring everyone's experiences and think I will try it. On IV now for the 10th time and need to find another way out of this nightmare.
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

mariel, good luck and best wishes to you.

If you start this drug, the one thing I would tell you is to not be afraid to go slow at first.

I would urge you to re-read the LLMD quote in my post on 8-28 at 3:13 pm.

Also, if you haven't already done so, click on the link in my post from 8-29 at 10:24 am and go to about the 31-32 minute mark and listen to Dr. H talk about how Disulfiram is the No. 1 drug for Herxheimer reactions, and how he has to start his patients on very small doses.

Again, good luck and be patient with this drug as it does it's thing.

mariel21
Member # 35881

Okay- I go slow with everything as I am sensitive. Good luck to you too!!!!!!!!
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

One Month

I'm not well yet, but I feel better.

The herxes come in waves, and as I've discovered, it's important to have some food before taking my Antabuse. Otherwise the blood level drops too low and nothing of importance gets accomplished.

Right now, my left cheek feels a little numb, old symptom, and my neck feels like someone planted rebar through it.

I realize that sounds severe, but given that nothing I was taking, and nothing that I've taken in years has caused any major herxing, it's a good sign.

Some days the herxes are powerful. My sinuses can swell up, and my neck tightens. I also get acute eye pain.

Other days, I have this pleasant burning sensation in my skin, especially around my ears. It feels like sunshine.

There are days when I feel tired, and all I do is sleep when I get off work. Other days I get insomnia, and it's hard to fall asleep.

My eyesight is all around better, crisper. I can also run again, and it feels normal. I don't have the old exercise intolerance issues.

My personality has also come back, I can be funny the way I used to be. And there are days I really do feel like me again.

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
I have been monitoring everyone's experiences and think I will try it. On IV now for the 10th time and need to find another way out of this nightmare.

Be well, and bon chance.

-

I'm not a particularly cautious person, but I would echo what others have said. It may be good to start slow and see how you react.

Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by Bartenderbonnie:
Hey Charles12

Basically effervescent formulas are made with sodium bicarbonate and citric acid, which this Alka Selzer product

I asked the pharmacist, he said that wouldn't work unfortunately.
JRWagner
Member # 3229

I can't even begin to tell you all how wrong you are. I just had a long conversation with Carol Fisch, who worked under Lyda Maitman, PhD, Lyme researcher and much more. Our genetics determine how we react to ABX as well as disulfuram. What I went through was NOT a herb but a r r action to the drug itself. It all has to do with methylation pathways and the immune system. Herxes have never been proven as more than a theory, with a bit of science thrown in. However, when I discussed the entire issue with Carol,I was like discussing graduate astrophysics with a high school intro physics student... and I have a biochem degree and two years of med school.

I will compile a list of suggestions and resources for everyone tomorrow.

Until then,

Peace, Love, And Wellness

JRW

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement