LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » herxing upon waking up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: herxing upon waking up
futbolplayer
Member # 52018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for futbolplayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else experience this? Painful, terrible herxing in the morning? Only thing that helps is dosing antibiotics. Not sure the cause but think it’s maybe a flare due to not dosing antibiotics at night?
Posts: 3 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no_lyme_in_florida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The LLMD I used to see thought that symptoms that were worse in the morning was a common feature of this illness.

Through the years I have definitely experienced this, especially with regards to muscle twitching. The deeper the sleep I had been able to get, the worse the symptoms were many times upon awakening.

My theory is that it is indeed a form of herxing caused by the bodies immune system increasing during the sleep period and stirring up the bugs. That is just my layman's opinion, though.

Posts: 233 | From ft. myers, florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Mornings may not be as much "herxing" as "Payback Time" - I found. Payback, just for the day prior, no matter how well I took care of myself, the next morning was always hard, just because . . . because of the toxicity of lyme, the sheer exhaustion and toll on the body and lack of sleep that rarely "took" properly, or at all, really.

Many of the ILADS conferences over the years, and the books by the various LLMDs and LL NDs explain better than I can.

There was always some kind of hope that, at least, in a few hours, I might be feeling better -- to some degree. Or tomorrow, perhaps.

But making peace with not expected to be all - or at all - bright eyed and alert in the first 1/3 of the day, well, I learned to be kinder with my disappointment . . . and I can't even finish that thought or sentence but I hope it helps to know, it's just part of the "deal" and think kindly of your time with yourself.

Indeed, as "no-lyme in Florida" says, mornings are usually just very, very rough & tumble for most with lyme. Those with added other tick-borne infections (like, just about everyone) also find nights harder, unrefreshed sleep and rough mornings.

There are various explanations for this but, for now, just know it's really very typical of the the way these infections work, combined with the stress / load on the liver / kidneys and the brain, too.

Make sure your food is as "clean" as can be without added stuff.

I've been doing a lot of research on the risks of vegetables oils, too, and I think it's vital to cut those out totally. Most find great help who do, even those w/out lyme. See links in next post.

Also cutting out sugar and refined / simple / processed carbohydrates (for they turn to sugar the instant we ingest them and can spike glucose and insulin levels in the body, both which can make people feel worse.

You might want to review your liver support to be sure it's spread throughout the day & evening - and will carry you through the night. Even, manageable doses. Don't overdue as that can boomerang, too.

Milk Thistle is the top item to consider for liver support. 3 - 4 x day.

And magnesium, of course. Always in divided doses, 3 - 4 x day.

Water. Be sure to drink enough water, also spread throughout the day and early evening. Some, but not too much closer to bedtime so your bladder will let you rest for a better sleep.

Avoid even herbal, green or decaf tea - and even decaf coffee - probably after mid-afternoon. Stick with water for most of the day. Enough, just not so much you create a flood.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/38357?#000000

Topic: "Vegetable" / Seed Oils: Danger & Damage. Teicholz et al

and this also leads to the matter of being sure you are getting enough of the kinds of good fats to help your brain. Some of the links in this set discuss the good fats. And that might surprise you, in a good way. I have found that meat and fats from good meats help heal my body.

Teicholz' videos at YouTube - and her book - really shine an important light.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
SALT, too. I find that a gram of Sea Salt in warm water, first thing when I wake up is helpful. I get about five - yes - five grams of salt a day - or more.

A gram is approx. 1/4 teaspoon but for better detail, start here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Salt%2C+Dr.+Ken+Berry

YouTube search for: Salt, Dr. Ken Berry

and he gives good overall detail and where you can find the specifics and extended research, too. A top expert on salt is:

Dr. Jame Dinicolantonio . . . see his YouTube presentations and his book: THE SALT FIX

Redmond Sea Salt is excellent. Best to avoid that is from current day oceans - too much micro-plastic can be in that.

Ancient salt stores, caves, mines . . . are best.

Vitacost.com has good prices on Redmond, though it;s also in many food stores. They are out of Utah.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The need for salt is for all humans, really, but those who have adrenal issues -- as do most with lyme - also benefit from learning more about the need.

Also be very cautious with any sleep aids. They can cause a long of "hangovers" and so can one particular sleep herb: valerian. I suggest avoiding that one. Holy Basil / Tulsi much better without the "hangover"

Of course, I assume alcohol is off your menu, yet just want to be sure you have come across that information. Those with lyme really just can't tolerate it at all, And many cannot tolerate exercise, finding the next day "payback" can be harsh. Movement matters, just keep it kind for your body.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Check whatever Rx you are taking. While the ototoxic nature of such drugs can cause trouble no matter the time of day, I found that overnight, any ototoxic drugs would clobber and "demand payback" especially upon awakening.

http://hearinglosshelp.com/shop/ototoxic-drugs-exposed/

Ototoxic Drugs Exposed (3rd edition)

The Shocking Truth About Prescription Drugs, Medications, Chemicals and Herbals That Can (and Do) Damage Our Ears

By Neil Bauman, Ph.D.

. . . detailed listings of the ear-damaging side effects of 877 drugs, 35 herbals and 148 chemicals (798 pages).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh. no. I thought I posted the liver support link but my eyes don't see it now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm

CYTOKINE STORM - helps partially explain one way lyme clobbers.

To help you better tolerate treatment:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement