LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Blood in Picc line

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blood in Picc line
Pitnum
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4906

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pitnum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone experienced their picc lines filling with blood on a regular basis. I have had this line in for about 53 days and now the line keeps filling with blood.

I flush the line when it has blood in it....5cc of saline and 5cc of heparin. Is there a limit to the amount of heparin you can flush in a day? Can too much be harmful?

Posts: 195 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SisterSue2
Member # 5484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SisterSue2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my PICC Line for about 60 days now & this happens to me too, occasionally. I flush with heparin only when this happens. I only do the saline, then heparin when I'm infusing - which is 3x/day Yuk!!

Anyway, make sure you don't let them draw their weekly bloodwork thru your PICC.

Sis

Posts: 65 | From West Tx | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchbraid
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frenchbraid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had this happen to her toward the end of her PICC line. Unfortunately, we were having our blood drawn through the PICC every week.

We were told to just flush it with saline. We were also told it was very common.....but it never happened to me.

frenchbraid

------------------
Stay positive. Smile. People care.

Posts: 948 | From Northwest, NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy-OH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by a nurse that it was okay for blood to be in the line.

As long as you used heparin last then there is no way for the blood to clot in the line.

Usually it only looks like it's full of blood when really there is just a small amount lining the wall of the tube.

I never had a problem even though I had blood in the line all the time.

Nancy

Posts: 963 | From N. Olmsted, OH USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pitnum,

My son and I have had lines quite a while, and we rarely have that happen.

Do you have blood drawn from your PICC?

Our Docs advise never to do that. Take the stick in the other arm to protect the line.

Also..do you have a clamp on your line or on the exiension tube? Some of the newer claves don't require one, however sometimes adding an extra clamp doesn't hurt. Keeping it closed when not in use can help prevent backflow.

I have a Cook catheter, an older style, but it is with a good sturdy clamp. Blood only comes into the line if I accidentally leave it open.

I have experienced what felt like the beginning of a clog (resistance when flushing) during two of the times I did have backflow.

Hope this helps some,
Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonestartick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonestartick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pitnum,

If your picc line is filling with blood on a regular basis after you hep-lock it, you might consult your nursing service. They can show you the technique for hep-locking your line that is best suited for your device.

Be sure to ask them how to ensure a slightly turbulent flow, safely. This will ensure that all the meds and saline is washed out of the line and the hep-lock holds.

A laminar (smoothe, without turbulence) flow will not flush the antibiotic or saline out fully. When done properly, your hep-lock should not allow red blood cells to enter the tubing in between use.

A nurse can show you how to do this safely, as it does not require too much pressure to create the turbulence. Too much pressure can cause problems or failure with the line.

Because each device is a little bit different, it would behoove you to discuss this with your nursing service. This problem should be easily remedied.

Posts: 487 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Yes!

You just got much better advise than mine from LoneStarTick...

It really does depend on your particular rig.

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 27 May 2004).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pitnum
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pitnum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your responses. I called the nursing service and they do not know why this is happening.

They actually saw it fill with blood during the dressing change. It was fully clamped off too.It flushes without resistance.....I had to flush it 8 times in six hours.

Will probably have the lined pulled tomorrow considering that I only have 3 doses of abx left. It doesn't make sense to me to stop abx when you still have symptoms.

I have to wait 4 weeks and then get retested.
Thanks again for the help.

Posts: 195 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pitnum:

You shouldn't have to flush your line so many times. The blood in the line is ok. It actually means that the line is still working. As long as it is red, just leave it until your normal infusion or heparin flush/lock. Mine fills with blood after I cycle a few miles. My nurse says it is ok. Also, I don't think you are supposed to "flush" with saline each time, just the heparin. If you are concerned you should talk to your MD. Sounds like your nurses may not have the answer. Take care.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kira
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

There's a little "cap" at the end of our picc line...and I believe it's some sort of metal so they can xray you and see how close it is to your heart etc...

Well, that cap is supposed to be pushed open when you flush or infuse...and then re-seal itself...but maybe it got stuck open...so that's why you get the back flow...?

When you flush...do you do it in little short increments or do you do one steady push...It's technically supposed to be in small short increments...

Just thinking of possibilities...

Kira

Posts: 802 | From Chicago suburbs, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pitnum
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pitnum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kira,
That is interesting information......I was not aware of that and I do flush with a slow steady push.

I think you may be right. It does seem like some kind of valve is stuck open. Maybe if I try the short interrupted method it will help.
It's worth a try.....nothing else has worked.

If it doesn't work, they are going to pull the line on Tues.

Thanks again,
Pitnum

[This message has been edited by Pitnum (edited 30 May 2004).]

kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it. I did try to flush the line with saline. I will try again.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement