LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need info on herxing with Bicillin shots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need info on herxing with Bicillin shots
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of our members just called and has questions about herxing while on bicillin shots.

I am not familiar.. since I have not done these.

The member has taken the second injection this past Monday. The first injection was the Monday before.

Last night they had chills and intense pain in the legs/knees. An area where they normally have great difficulty. Some of the symptoms are "moving"... a bit here and a bit there.

Any help for this person?

Any ideas?

Thanks berry berry mush!!!

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,
Probably, I am one fo the more veteran Bicillin users here. The stuff is known for causing herxing. Dr. B. Specifically notes this in his treatment guidelines. Increased pain in the usual areas is ceratinly one of the more probable manifestations. However, a number of people have noted vertigo, social withdrawal, sensations of fever, and a many other effects. A year and a half later. I still get all of these although les frequently, with shorter duration, and generally less intensity.
Still, it's great stuff. Hope this helps.
David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only had 5 injections. The first month was lots of fatigue, nausea, dizziness, leg pains - muscular and joints, neck and chest pain. I did get a couple of functional days each week because I opted for the 5-day release method by doing both 1.2 shots at once. Others do one shot every 3-1/2 days.

I am just starting to get some relief from the pain & nausea. Fatigue is still a problem. But, I think the Bicillin is working. The initial herxing is pretty bad but nothing like I had while on Flagyl or Zithromax.

Hope that helps.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmcbrayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had flu-like symptoms usually 24 hrs after every shot: fever between 99 & 100; head symptoms: light-headedness, foggy chills. Weak for 2-3 days after each shot.

DMC

Posts: 221 | From fort smith, arkansas, usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cup and whoever needed the info on herxing and bicillin shots. I had eight weeks last year about April...or was it two years...anyway I was clever enough to start it so the eight weeks would span two cycles of my normal monthly flares...

I got a pretty significant dizzy, painful, manic depression type herx the third day into my shots...then the fourth week just like clockwork...just as Dr. B warns I had a really nasty herx that lasted a week...fatigue, pain,mental crap, irritability, vision, cramps, chills and hot flashes...my temp actually showed 98.6 which was unusual for me as I usually am subnormal.

Then I felt really good for three weeks and the eighth week hit me again but not nearly as strong as the third day or the fourth week...I guess cuz the killoff was'nt as dramatic or the dang bug had offspring immune to the bicillin already...about three days of this and then I really felt great for three weeks.
Unfortunately, I ran into difficulty with insurance paperwork person at dr C's office and was told by his office manager(i think his wife) that I should find another doctor...I think Dr. C does'nt like dealing with any insurance other than medicare for fear of prosecution for fraud cuz he's treating lyme patients...something was up tho...anyway have'nt had the pleasure of bicillin since...hope whoever gets this regimen gets enough to do you some good. Hang in there I believe you'll like the results after the herxing is over and you can rub the bumps away on your behind...

Keep up the probiotics however just to make sure I stopped vitamin C for awhile.

Good luck and God bless........the zman

------------------

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all...

Thanks for taking time to respond.. especially in such good detail.

I already spoke to the member again and they saw your replies.

They will be here later to thank you also... once they are feeling better.

The information you provided was comforting to know for someone who has not had this happen before... and they said the appreciate it and thank you!!!

And of course I think you all are the greatest!

Good job!!!

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firsttwin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firsttwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all who responded.

I am the lucky one that is taking the bacillian shots.

I am forcing myself to me here because I feel so bad. I am so desperate for answers.

I feel like I am dying. I have only had two injections and they are suppose to be once a week. I just had my second injection on Monday. I didn't start herxing till yesterday. I was warned this might happen but didn't know it would be so bad.

I am having chills and the areas where I had the pain before is so intense now. I am feeling like there are things crawling in my feet constantly and is painful. My vision is not good either.

I am herxing as I am writing this. My ankle is so tight that I can hardly move it. I sure hope that ends soon. I want to move it but I feel like if I did, it would break.

My doctor assures me that I will feel better soon but I guess i won't believe till I see it.

If anyone has any suggections on how to deal with these herxes, I will appreciate it.

Thanks so much for to all for the input.

I will try to keep all posted on my results

I am trying to hang in there.

Maria

Posts: 164 | From Rising Sun, MD, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An herbal tea called "Detox Tea" made by Yogi Tea Co. gives me pretty effective and consistent relief. You can probably find it at your local health food store. If not, look for a tea whose primary ingredient is dandelion root. Hang in. Bicillin can pack a wicked herx but it's very effecitve.
David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maria:

I don't know if you are capable but, doing Yoga for a few minutes every day helps me. I get so achy and also feel like parts of me will break. Believe it or not, my ankles too feel like that. So, I stretch and do yoga and breathing, even if I feel like I can't. You've got to keep the blood flowing and get plenty of oxygen to move that gloppy stuff through your body. It will get better.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firsttwin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firsttwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again for all of your posts.

I guess the Bacillian injections are doing its job. I have had herxes but not as severe as the first two. I feel the pain from having the injections. That is a pretty big needle that is used. Its one of those things where you gotta do what you gotta do. I do feel better than before but I am not a hundred % by no means.

Does anyone have the constant tingling of the feet? I guess you could say that I have the tinglying and the numbness. I don't have much feeling in my feet. I sure hope that goes away. I don't like to wear shoes but it will be getting cold soon. I guess I will just have to suck it up.

I still have the brain fog but not as bad as before. When the brain fog goes away and I get some feeling back in my feet, I will be a very happy person. I have been told that it will take awhile and I am trying to be patient.

Much love to all.

Maria

Posts: 164 | From Rising Sun, MD, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am seeing my PCP today after my visit on Tues (8/31) with Dr. C of MO.

He (Dr. C) wants me to start Bicillin shots. My PCP has always cooperated with Dr. C and I assume I will be starting the Bicillin shots, once per week, very shortly.

QUESTION(s)

How much do these shots cost?

Do you get them from your pharmacy and take them to your docs office for them to administer? (I know that the docs office will have to administer them because of chance of going into anaplaptic sp? shock) What I am talking about, is, does the doctor have this drug in his office, or do I get them myself at a pharmacy?

QUESTION FOR CAVE:

How would I know if the nurse is giving me the shots correctly? I know that they are IM, but, seems as if you were talking about something else...could you go into depth about the correct way they are to be given other than slowly, of course.

Thanks guys in advance,

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Rosemary:

I order the Bicillin from my pharmacy in a ten pack. I take it in a cooler to my nurse. She keeps it in her fridge. The shots are about $35 per 1.2 unit shot. My nurse warms the Bicillin with her hands or mine. She "stabs" at an angle into the upper butt muscle, pushes the needle in up or straight across, aspirates to see that there is no blood, then injects the goo. Sometimes the injection hurts, sometimes it doesn't. It really doesn't bother me too much. I am small so, I find that a little heat or massage later that evening helps to get the little muscle to absorb the drug.

I submit the bill to my Ins. Co. and they cut me a check for cost of the Rx.

Bc

rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 12 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks beachcomber, Is that $35 cost after your prescription drug coverage? Just asking for I do not have insurance to cover prescriptions.

I am starting as soon as my pharmacy gets in the product on either Tuesday or Wednesday for 6-8 weeks.

And even at that, $35/weekly is still rather high in my budget for I still am on other meds making my monthly prescriptions rather high even with getting some prescriptions rather cheaply from Canada, using the drug companies discount cards, and using available drugs from the Needy meds programs.

Thanks for answering.

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Rosemary:

My bill says it is $416 for 10 shots. I have an prescription card that saves me $77. So, I pay $339. My Dr. said to submit the remainder to my primary insurance to see if they will pay the difference. They did on the first 10 pack. I haven't yet submitted the second bill.

Yes, it is expensive. But, my weekly bills for IV, supplies, bandage change & liver panel tests were $3600! Ouch. Insurance covered most of that but started to question it. The Bicillin is much cheaper and less of a hassle than the IV.

If you get 2.4 units per week, it should cost you about $70.00 a week in Rx. I get the two 1.2 unit shots because of my size. The one 2.4 unit shot might be less expensive. It's worth asking about.

There is no generic any longer for Bicillin so, if you ordered from elsewhere, perhaps you will get the real thing. I am afraid to order from any of the internet companies after reading the horror stories that were recently published in Prevention.

Good luck.

Bc

rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beachcomber, I have been ordering prescriptions from two different internet pharmacies for years now and I have absolutely NO complaints from them.

Yes, I agree, that prehaps you should not order from those that pop into you "bulk" folder, but, to order from ones that you know someone who has had great results from is OK.

So, to order, blindly, from internet drug stores, without a referral on which one is real or a great one, I believe would be foolish. A lot of folks here order from realfastdrugstore.com and you could too without the problems mentioned in Prevention. These companies are not like those mentioned in Prevention...they are legit.

I have gotten great prices, prompt delivery (7-10 days), drugs that are in-stock when you order them, and low, low prices!!! from

www.realfastdrugstore.com

I, also, use this Italian pharmacy for my Diflucan where it is under $6.00 per pill, even cheaper than some with some folks insurance coverage. This company does NOT require a prescription. And, it does take a little longer, but, not much, to get the drugs cause of their location being in Italy.

http://www.antiaging-systems.com/

I really not clear on your post, beachcomber, why would you need a picc for Intramuscular shots of Bicillian. Are we talking about he same thing?

Rosemary

beachcomber
Member # 5320

Rosemary:

Thanks for the info on the legit companies to order from. I'll keep that in mind.

PICC? Did I say I had a PICC for Bicillin? I don't think so. I was on IV Rocephin for 16 weeks prior to switching to Bicillin. Sorry for the confusion. I was just comparing the cost of IV meds vs. IM meds. The Bicillin IM is less expensive and less cumbersome than what I went through with IV Rocephin. Didn't mean to confuse you.

Good tip on the Diflucan. I pay $7.00/pill, which isn't too bad I guess. There is also a generic that is pretty well priced.

I have a friend who orders all his meds from a good Canadian source. Unfortunately, they did not have Rocephin when I inquired. I didn't check about the Bicillin though. Others on this board may know a good source for you.

You seem pretty resourceful so, I think you will be able to get what you need at a good price. I work full time and do have pretty decent insurance so, I don't always expend the energy to find the best prices. Frankly, I am exhausted after a full day of work and dealing with the Lyme and Babs. I wish I had more energy. I'm sure most of us on this board wish for the same.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing on the Bicillin, once you start. There are a couple of veterans here who have been helpful to me.

Bc

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement