LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flagyl for Babesia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flagyl for Babesia?
riversinger
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately I've been seeing a number of people mention they are treating Babesia with Flagyl. This is a new one on me, and wonder if anyone can go into more detail.

Any written info on it? Fantastic successes? This would make babesia treatment so much more affordable if it is actually successful. I'd love to take the info to my doctor, who I know has some patients with really tough reactions to Mepron.

Thanks!

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazykt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for some input (hopefully) It sure would give a person some incentive to struggle thru a stretch of flagyl!
Posts: 740 | From BC Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on both flagyl and tinidazole in strong doses (2000 mg/day) for several months at a time, in combo with Rocephin and with doxy. Apparently it did nothing for the Babs; certainly it wasn't a cure for me or my husband. The mepron/zith/artemisinin seems to be the first thing that's touched babs for us.

The flagyl tx was aimed at the cyst form of Bb. I don't know if the reason it failed was because I was still infected with babs.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Babesia WA1...rather than microti...
I've had it twice from different bites..

First treatment....

6 months mepron and zith...did absolutely nothing.

6 months flagyl and zith....knocked titers down by half.

6 weeks Lariam, starting with huge loading dose...killed off the babs...

Six months pass, then I'm bitten again...I'm a tick magnet.

Second infection, second treatment list...

6 weeks Lariam, starting with huge loading dose (in February)...No change in titre what so ever...

Been on Flagyl and zith ever since...got the all clear...zero titer... on August 1st.

According to Dr. S in San Francisco....treating for babesia is a matter or rotating meds til you get the desired response. The bug, particularly the WA1 strain, is tough to erradicate with one form of treatment sometimes.

Either way, Flagyl certainly took a bite out of Babesia for me with both infections....

Apparently, Flagyl in concert with an antibiotic are used in Europe for babesia infection.

The combination of Flagyl and zith are pretty effective for lyme too, so I think of it as a bargain treatment!

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been here 4 yrs and never heard of it being used for babesia. It's a cyst buster for Bb, as far as I know.

My LLMD follows his patients success ratios for each drug and has found a better rate of success with clindamycin/quinine for babs.

It's very cheap. Quinine has its drawbacks, but you can also use plaquenil with clindamycin.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia WA1? Babesia microti? What's the difference, and how can they tell? Do they automatically test for different strains? This is getting confusing!!
Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia WA1 is predominantly in the Pacific Northwest region of the US. It has been found elsewhere, but mostly here...

Microti is the strain found mostly in the East.

The standard Babesia test only tests for the microti strain.

The test for WA1 was developed a couple years ago and is done only by the Sonoma County Health Department in California. Yes, Igenex forwards its WA1 tests to the Sonoma County Health Department lab.

Several lyme docs in the bay area treat for babesia based on symptoms rather than based on blood work. If a patient is negative on blood work but still has the symptoms, they treat for babesia anyway.

I was told that there are many strains that we do not test for currently, so treating based on symptoms makes sense to me.

I'm sorry that I haven't posted about my flagyl use here previously....I thought I had..I know of at least eight other patients in my area who use it and are having good results. We all see Dr. S in San Francisco.

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
breathwork, thanks for posting. You may have been one of the ones where I saw it mentioned. I guess it just goes to show that there are really no rules when it comes to tick borne infections.

We are all an experiment in progress. I will let my doctor know about this, because I am fairly sure he is not aware, but he highly respects Dr. S.

Though I haven't tested positive for babs, I have had some heart problems that make me wonder, and I have been having heart herxes on Tinidazole and Zithro. I assume Tini would have similar results to Flagyl, so it could be hitting seronegative babs, as well as Lyme.

[This message has been edited by riversinger (edited 19 September 2004).]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

What's a heart herx?
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breathwork, at what point in the abx treatment did you do the bloodwork for babs? Did you take any abx breaks before the bloodwork?

Aaargh this whole thing drives me nuts.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

For me, my heart rate gets elevated, running 130bpm even when (trying to) sleep. I also get short of breath, and usually have chest pain.

It stops within a day of stopping the tinidazole, and until I start tini again, I actually feel good afterwards. You know, that rare, unusual term "feeling good?"

They are checking to see if anything else is going on with my heart, but so far nothing is turning up, so we are assuming it is a herx.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by riversinger:
For me, my heart rate gets elevated, running 130bpm even when (trying to) sleep. I also get short of breath, and usually have chest pain.

I started with this when I first went on clindamycin/Q for babs 4 yrs ago. I still have to take atenolol for the palps and tachycardia.
---------------------

breathwork said, "Several lyme docs in the bay area treat for babesia based on symptoms rather than based on blood work. If a patient is negative on blood work but still has the symptoms, they treat for babesia anyway."

If all LLMD's did this, there would fewer problems with people not recovering from Lyme, since many are walking around with babs and don't know it.

You basically can't get over Lyme if you have babs also and don't get treatment for it.

My bloodwork was "borderline" for babs and I herxed from here to the moon!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Going by symptoms can be tough, too. the only things I tested positive for were Bb and HME. The symptoms that had me concerned about coinfections are headaches and the heart stuff, which people bring up in referrence to Babs and Bart. But I don't have a lot of the other symptoms that might point me in a specific direction.

So if Zith and Flagyl can treat both, that may be why I am doing so much better on them.
Anybody else used Flagyl for Babs?

breathwork
Member # 567

Sorry to take so long getting back to you...

I was tested for Babesia Microti several times over the first two years of treatment. All negative.

I then went on IV Rocephin for nine months. After nine months I had improved dramtically on the neuro lyme symptoms, but plateaued. That's when the doc suspected babesia....coincidentally it was when the test for the WA1 strain was first available.

I tested off the charts for WA1 at that time. How we treated it over the next year or so is listed above.

I was reinfected last summer with lyme and babesia WA1.

During all of my babesia tests I was on medications for lyme.

The "heart herx" that you describe is how my babesia presents actually...shortness of breath, palpitations and rapid heart rate when lying down, neck pain and headaches that come and go each day....all of it miserable.

All of those symptoms have disipated now that my babesia titer is down.

I've stayed on the zith and flagyl since the negative babs test the first of August. We'll reassess tomorrow when I see my lyme doc.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement