LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gallbladder problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gallbladder problems
AmandaPI
Member # 5587

Icon 5 posted      Profile for AmandaPI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having reccurrent pain in my gallbladder region again.

About two years I had this problem with a normal LFT and ultrasound of the gallbladder and liver.

Will anyone share your experiences like this please.

I was not on abx at the time but am now and I have read that this could make it worse.

I am going to be beginnng IV Rocephin and concerned that this will make matters worse and cetainly don't want to have to have surgery.

Thanks,

Amanda

Posts: 80 | From Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Consider seeing a herbalist or a GOOD Natural Dr to help in this area.
Most MD's dont help you KEEP your gallbladder, they help you REMOVE it.

I treated myself for the liver/gallbladder problems... the congestion, and I tell you...

WHAT A DIFFERENCE for me.

I now do the beet drink with the lemon/olive oil... every month for about one week. First time I did it, I was very sick, but later went away, and herxing from the lyme antibiotics not as bad.

Some on here have done the gallbladder flushes from...

curezone.com

and have had great success. Many have not had to have their gallbladder removed after doing flushes or seeing a Natural Dr (ND).

This is no hogwash... one does not have to loose their gallbladder if they seek alternative avenues many times.

Check it out, it may really help you.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musharina
Member # 2149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musharina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello - I just read your message and wanted to let you know that I had no Gall Bladder problems at all until I started IV Rocephin. Then I had what I thought were chest pains a few times (one BAD time) and then the last time I wound up going to the hospital it got so severe (vomitting too).

I was told that it was the Rocephin that "threw it over the edge".

I dont know if this makes any bit of diffference to you, but I figured Id share

Good luck with whatever you decide!

---Michele

Posts: 75 | From Long Island, NY | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I started rocephin my gullblader was checked.... no sludge, gravel or stones,...
my llmd was not going to even let me take rocephin if any of those things showed.....

after taking rocephinfor a few months, I had tons of pain elevated liver enzymes pancreatitus... when my gullbladder was removed it had 6-8 stones.

having said this I would still do it again because rocephin helped me soooooo much the first time.

Have you had your gullbladder checked recently?
Have you told ur llmd that ur having these pains?

It might be a good idea.....espescially If you are having pain after eating fatty foods..

I am NOT a dr. but if i was in your situation I would want to make sure my gullbladder didnt have any issues before going on rocephin.....

there are other IV drugs that dont pose the risk to ur gullbladder that rocephin does.

Best wishes

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont have my gallbladder any longer.

Whether or not you decide to have it out electivly is your choice.

But if it ruptures (which happened to me) it will be emergency surgery which is no cakewalk and very risky.

Gallstones are not a good indicator. You can have Gallbladder disease without any stones.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you suspect ANY gallbladder problems, I would recommend NOT going on Rocephin. Instead you could go on Claforan which is similar to Rocephin but doesn't cause sludging or stones.

I developed gallstones when I was on Rocephin in 2002. I stopped the Rocephin when the attacks started, had an ultrasound that showed lots of stones, and was waiting to consult with a surgeon to discuss my options when I had a really bad attack and wound up in the ER and then the hospital with surgery the next day to remove my gallbladder. The surgery wasn't bad but I wish I hadn't had to have it.

Also, just because you DON'T have a gallbladder, it doesn't mean you won't have problems with sludging on Rocephin. I went back on Rocephin this July and last month I had what felt exactly like a gallbladder attack which then led to a bunch of other problems. A very good GI dr. I saw said that Rocephin can cause sludging and crystals even without a gallbladder. So, I can't ever go back on it.

Just something to keep in mind.

--Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Click to join Lyme_Camp

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Lyme Out Retreat Information Webpage

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have experience with Actigall? I haven't taken Rocephin, but I have been on an assortment of abx nonstop for 2 years. This is my first week off.

I started getting liver or GB pain about 6 months ago and now there's almost constant twinging. My labs have always been good, though I've read that your liver can be halfway gone before tests start to show anything unusual.

I'm thinking of asking for Actigall on my next doc visit in 2 weeks. Would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Sue

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex1950
Member # 6308

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Alex1950     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told that Rocephin can cause gallbladder problems.

To eliminate or tone down the effects, eat plenty of yogurts and take enzymes such as acidophilus.

When I was on Rocephin 2 years ago, I took the Acidophilus, had gallbladder checked no problems. Get a high quality product, there are many mfg out there trying to make a buck.

I used a natural acidophilus from www.celtech.com. You pay for what you get.

I hope that I'll be on Rocephin again, next week. I have my Acidophilus ready. I take 2 to 3 tablets 1/2 to 1 hour before taking the Rocephin.

Good luck

Alex

Posts: 77 | From Chester NJ 07930 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex1950
Member # 6308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex1950     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. IF you can it raw, don't cook it!

Heating the food above 130 degrees kills the enzymes and the body has a hard time digesting it.

In order for the body to break up the food for use it takes the enzymes that are stored in the bones. Over long period if the bones are not replenished with enzymes, the bones start giving one problems.

That means no can products. Can eat frozen fruits and veggies, don't cook them only thaw them out. In that state they 80 to 98% of their nutritional value.

Example European Drs, put their patients on a raw food diet. Their collateral levels drop 20 to 40 points.

For the gallbladder, see my reply post: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/028903.html

Alex

Posts: 77 | From Chester NJ 07930 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaPI
Member # 5587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaPI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your responses.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems that many of you have had especially regarding surguries.

I had another ultrasound today had LFT and a lot of other bloodwork done before going on IV meds. Won't know the results of either for a few days.

I continue to be concernered about GB issues and especially stones or more severe(bursting) problems.

I will be bringing this up with my LLMD before starting the IV medication but I'm still not sure how I feel knowing the risk factors and the potentially positive outcome.

Posts: 80 | From Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amanda,

If your concerned about the possible complications of gallbladder problems, you should talk to your doctor about going on Claforan instead of Rocephin. It's pretty much the same as Rocephin but it doesn't cause the gallbladder sludging. It has to be infused more often (I think 3 times a day instead of one or two) and is more expensive but since it doesn't have the GB problems it could end up being less expensive than having GB problems and possibly surgery. Even if you don't go on it, just talk to your LLMD about it so that you've talked about the possibility. I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't go on Claforan instead of Rocephin with the number of GB problems people seem to have with it.

--Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Click to join Lyme_Camp

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Lyme Out Retreat Information Webpage

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue--I did take Actigall while on rocephin, and it helped. There didn't seem to be any negative side effects.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement