LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » low blood pressure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: low blood pressure
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 5 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I asked abt this before, but can't remember folks replies... and search isn't working

My blood pressure is dropping really low again, lower than before 84/60....

Got a message into my LLMD, in the mean time, can others please share their experience with low blood pressure issues. What made it worse or better, how did things get resolved?

Thanks!

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone?
Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you keeping yourself well hydrated? Blood pressure gets lower if you are dehydrated. It's not a "solution" but it may make it somewhat better.
Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Achey

I have had low BP most of my life. If I am herxing to severely it drops to the floor and is difficult to even find with BP cuff. Makes me very weak and light headed/black out. If it isn't bothering you, I don't think it is much of a problem. No doctor ever was very concerned unless they couldn't find it at all.

Besides drinking plenty of fluids, not just water, try increasing your salt intake. Helps to keep the water in and can raise your BP small amounts.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks...drinking lots of mineral water and salting everything liberally.

I always have low bp, but it seems to be worse lately...possibly herxing...

The other thing that's difficult, is interstital swelling with the low bp makes it hard to access a vein for weekly nutritional IV's

DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a positive tilt table test and was consequently diagnosed with neurally mediated hypotension (low blood pressure). This is common in lymies.

I take florinef and it really helps.

Drink lots of water, use salt liberally.

Avoid standing for long periods of time.

Avoid heat. Eat small meals frequently, hypoglycemia and low blood pressure often go together.

Minimize stress.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dulcamara
Member # 5691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dulcamara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by achey:
I think I asked abt this before, but can't remember folks replies... and search isn't working

My blood pressure is dropping really low again, lower than before 84/60....

Got a message into my LLMD, in the mean time, can others please share their experience with low blood pressure issues. What made it worse or better, how did things get resolved?

Thanks!

I've had low blood pressure since I was a teenager. Even when I was very overweight my BP was low. Now my weight has much improved but my BP is still very low. I have a BP cuff at home, and my average pressure is 82/62. Salt does nothing to raise it. I've tried taking salt straight from a spoon and measuring my pressure. No effect on my BP. All I learned is that large doses of salt are hard on the GI system!

The one thing that does raise my blood pressure (to about 105/75) is Provigil. But I don't like to take that very often because it can make me feel jittery. Sometimes I think the low BP of chronic Lyme is sort of like a chronic state of low-grade septic shock, if such a thing is possible. I'm betting nitric oxide is involved somehow, but I don't know how to fix it short of being cured of Lyme.

Posts: 78 | From Northeastern USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Achey -

I, too, have had low blood pressure during my illness...at my lowest it was 84/63 - I was petrified because my BP had always been consistent and in the range of 120/80 - rarely deviating.

It turned out I had/have Lyme, Babesia, and Ehrlichia hme and hge...only thing that has helped for me has been the antibiotics. When I herx it soars up to 145/90 - and it fluctuates all over...

Lately in the last couple months I have seen some big improvements and it is a bit more consistent...

I am still new here so I don't know your story and if you have been treating with abxs for awhile or not...

Take care...

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Thanks DL, ddulcamara, and lymied...
My Bp was up again the other day to 119/70 after going to curves... I hoping the herx is over. it's interesting lymied, that your bp goes up with herxing..mine seems to go down.

DL, the avoid standing thing, is that because of pooling blood? went for a walk tonight, and got kinda wimpy weary and needed to sit for a bit afterwards.

dulcamara, I'm curious abt your theory abt a chronic state of low grade septic shock...that really makes sense to me, as one of my most severe herxes left me in a septic shock state for a period of hours one day this winter.

Lymied, I got dx'ed in Oct, after 30+yrs of chronic health problems. LLMD started me on Iv right away to get through BBB due to neurolyme and encephelitis. I had also had lyme heart/lung and vagus nerve problems, bell's palsy, seizure, etc...the whole shopping cart, but I was still walking..into walls.

I did 12 wks IV zith, then clinda 4wks, 4 more weeks w/ tinidazole, and now 3 weeks into IV clinda 5 day/wk, IV zith 2 day/wk, and oral mino 100mg every other day.

I also do many oral suppliment, and weekly IV suppliments of meyer's cocktail, phosphtidial choline, and glutethione, alternating with lipoic acid... And I get 2 hours of Integrative Manual therapy treatment each week...

So that's the story... I wish it was different, and I miss work and life...I lost all of last week to a wicked herx and encephelitis...

Doing better since late friday...I hope this is a good week. I'm glad for everyone's sharing...Thanks for teaching me!

DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blood pooling is part of it. Compression stockings/socks can help.

Also lying down for a while with legs raised higher than your head can help you feel better if you've over done it.

In my case, NMH, I experience orthostatic intolerance, meaning standing for any length of time is hard for me. I don't know if you have this, but something to consider.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had a tilt table test? That can be a HUGE part of your diagnosis. Treatment for hypotension can involve several things.
It depends on what your tilt table test shows. A tilt table test is done by a cardiologist.

You may need beta blockers, florinef or both. It depends. In the meantime, you should drink lots of water, avoid dairy, avoid prolonged standing, elevate your legs, avoid heat in all forms, sit during the shower on a chair, and add salt more into your diet.

Get that tilt table test! You can read more about it on my lymelinks page!
Good luck!!

------------------
Lyme Disease Help
http://www.wildcondor.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

thanks wildcondor...no haven't had tilt table test..BP seems to be doing a bit better with herx clearing 116/66 yesterday at walmart..

today I felt absolutely fantastic!

no dizziness...completely scrubbed down my bathroom, did some sewing went to curves.. I did exercise really easy, but I had so much fun just being today.

I never knew in-between herxes could be so good.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement