LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bicillin LA shots-Bicillin leaks out ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bicillin LA shots-Bicillin leaks out ?
sarahinnewyork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7179

Icon 7 posted      Profile for sarahinnewyork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My husband is giving me shots 3 times a week- lately, when the needle is removed, some Bicillin is coming out afterwards- He is not removing it right away- we've done about 18 shots so far in total...

Do you think that we are letting it get too warm before injecting?

Is it possible that I have so much Bicillin in there already that it's being forced out?

Love to hear your experiences with this-

Thanks,
Sarah

Posts: 119 | From new york, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it depends, are you doing the bicillin thru a pic line? por directly into the skin?
if a pic line is backed up fluid might leak out in which case the line needs to be flushed or changed

If you are getting the shot directly in the skin, there is probably a lot of scar tissue that has hardened the skin and therefore it cant absorb the shot. you may have to get the needle deeper into the muscle tissues

try giving the shot in alternating places to give the different areas time to heal, these areas can be upper arms, thighs , buttocks

--------------------
[email protected]

Posts: 154 | From NH | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahinnewyork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahinnewyork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Sapphire,

We are using needles- The Bicillin LA comes with a needle, but perhaps I can get it with a longer needle. I think that you have a good point about scar tissue- I have been amazed at how quickly I have developed lumps and how sometimes they don't seem to disperse very well-

I appreciate your comments-!
Thanks,
Sarah

Posts: 119 | From new york, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah, there is a technique of injecting called Z-track that avoids this problem of the Bicillin leaking out. Do a search, because I know it has been discussed many times. I'm sorry I don't know enough to explain it to you.

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes River...you are right that Z-track works well...mostly in sub-dermal injections. However, it might work in Intra Muscular, too...

You basically pinch the skin between your forefinger and thumb, picking it up and then insert needle. I use it when I do heparin...however, I am not so sure about it working intra-muscular as it would be difficiult...try it tho.

I have found that massaging the area where the shot is given to be very effective the day after and then just before injection when it comes to Bicillin-LA shots.

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FIrst of all, Bicillin inadvertently given through IVs has caused fatalities. Not Kidding. It is IM only!
Z track involves pulling the skin laterally, while injecting, and then releasing it as the needle is withdrawn. That way any medicine that leaks out of the muscle will not get to the puncture in the skin.
David

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bicillin in a PICC line...no way!
That is not the way it is given!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bicillin cannot be given through a PICC. I think you could kill yourself doing that.

Sometimes the Bicillin will leak out while the nurse is injecting me. At that point she pulls the needle and just lightly massages the area. If there is enough in there (3/4) we just stop. In my case it is because I have scar tissue build up and we just happen to hit that. Rotate the site often is my only suggestion.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahinnewyork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahinnewyork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your help with this-
We've been nervous about moving too far away from the spot we were initially shown for injection- as we don't want to hit a nerve or vein-

We will move them around and see how that works-

Thanks for the ongoing support!
-Sarah

bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Original z track method: pull the skin taught, administer injection, then replace skin.

You should be moving the injection site around. IM's can be put in the upper right quadrant of the buttock without problem. Always aspirate to determine that you are not in a vein, which can be difficult due to the viscosity of the bi-cillin.

Further, it is important to administer the med over a period of 2-3 minutes. I think that will help a lot. If you are giving these to yourself, it is more difficult to do this.

Kind of like a circus trick that needs to be practiced for a long time!

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You should be moving the injection site around. IM's can be put in the upper right quadrant of the buttock without problem. Always aspirate to determine that you are not in a vein, which can be difficult due to the viscosity of the bi-cillin."

Oops, I mean upper OUTER quadrant of the buttock.

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definetly switch sides of the shot each time you do them. Scar tissue is common and goes away in time, i did Bicillin for about a year and a half. As long as you rotate the locations, you should be fine. Put pressure on the injection site after [Cool] you do the shot, so the Bicillin doesnt leak out.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massage area to avoid lumps. Works for me.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement