LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dr. K comments on using Artemisinin for Babesia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. K comments on using Artemisinin for Babesia
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 3 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed some interesting comments about Babesia in the paper by Dr. K that was posted earlier.

http://www.neuraltherapy.com/LymeALookBeyond6.pdf

First is mention of looking for it in an aged live blood sample under darkfield as the cells start to die. The usual way has been with stained dried smears, but that technique has not worked as well with Babesia as it does with Malaria. I'll have to try to figure out what they look like under those conditions.

---------------
Babesia:
intra-cellular Malaria like protozoal organism. Infects red-cells. 2/3rds of
Lyme clients also have Babesia, which is hard to diagnose: over 17 antigendifferent
subspecies. Most common: B.microti, WA-1 strain in Western
States and B. divergens and others in Europe

Diagnosis: best is long term observation of blood under darkfield
microscope. Babesia tends to leave dying cells while under darkfield
observation.
�� Vertigo
�� headache fatigue
�� dental problems: accelerated tooth decay and cavitation formation
�� TMJ problems
�� eye problems (floaters and blurry vision)
�� weight loss and abdominal problems (GERD)
�� fibromyalgia,
�� shortness of breath
�� malaise
�� drenching night sweats and fever/chills during Herxheimer reactions.
Therapy: think Mepron or Noni, Artemisinin and Oxo
----------

The other is about HOW to take Artemisinin for Babesia:

-------------
3. Artemisinin
has disappointed in our experience in the treatment of Babesia, unless given
in very high doses: 1200-1500 mg/day given 3 days in a row, repeat after a 2
week break. This is the way the drug is used in China for treatment of
Malaria. After the initial 2 courses a 2-3 day course should be given
once/month
--------------

Most LLMD's have people take 200 or 300mg of it every day. I think Dr. K's approach is more likely to work. I have used the high doses before, and I know they are tolerable, at least for me. Some Penicillin with it really gives it some kick.

(Your mileage may vary, so always ask your Doctor before trying anything.)

[ 27. January 2006, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: James H ]

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was getting much better results with a higher dose. I would take it for 5 days and then rest for 3 to keep the absorption levels high. It also makes a difference if you keep it 4 hrs away from all atioxidants - esp milk thistle and vit E. Also taking it on an empty stomach and with some borage or black currant oil to help with absorption is very important. Another thing that I found to help was to take some bromelain 1/2 hr before it.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James H:
unless given
in very high doses: 1200-1500 mg/day given 3 days in a row, repeat after a 2
week break.
-------------- [/b]

So how do you take the 1200 - 1500 mg/day? In divided doses? How many and how much?

Thanks

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James,

what is the name of the drug you refer to as 'OXO'?

thanks

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
connieMc-good question:

I would also like to know about the 1200-1500 doses.How is it divided?

like 600-2XD and 750- 2XD?

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he's probley right about a higher dose... The reason it's pulsed like that is it has some toxic properties and most feel it isn't a good thing at high doses for very long at all.

For anyone considering this, a word of warning- an allergic reaction to artemisia (artemisunin, artemether, possibly riamet (??)) concerns the heart. Whether this is a true allergic reaction or not is not important. It is something to seriously consider.

Most people are NOT allergic to it. However, I am, and I can say from experience it's pretty scarey if you are allergic. This is a drug which is probley safer to try first at a reduced dose to make sure you are ok with it before taking these higher doses. If you are one of the few people allergic to it those doses would not be safe.

But again- most people are perfectly OK with it.

James,

I was googling babs the other day and didn't save the site but found babs infected cells are weaker than the others. It was mentioned they frequently break while smearing blood, especially if it's not done gently. Might be just as good as "aged", don't know. Unless you want to catch them in the act... That would be exciting!

Hmmm... did you also mention they're weak in one of the threads? My short term memory is shot...

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLC
Member # 7112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James...

Exactly how high a dosage have you taken?
1200 to 1500 sort of scares me. What was your reaction?

Anyone else taken a very high dose?
Highest I did recently was 600 a day for a couple of days. No bad reaction or anything.

-Connie

Posts: 81 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing this back up for an answer on how to take this. Divided doses? How much per dose, etc.?

Also want to know if it is necessary to take this with something else, like you do with Mepron. I only take antibiotics 1 week out of a month. I am on maintenance therapy. I was thinking of throwing in this 3 day protocol to see how it goes. I think most of my probs are with Babesia.

I hear good things about Riamet, but had recently read that US wasn't letting it in the country. Anyone had success getting this lately?

Thanks...

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James, thanks for the post. Great to see Dr. Klinghardt tried the high dose approach. I did it too, but neuro-herxes were very strong.

Buhner talks about what the Chinese do for MALARIA:

Dosage at 800 mg daily drops the recurrence rate to nearer only 3%. So in China, drs use 800mg-1600 mg per day for 3 days, then repeat again in two weeks.

I suppose the dosage must be divided into 3 times minimum, because I don't think most people can tolerate such high doses at once!

I read once that one could calculate how much one could take a day depending on body weight (don't ask me where, I can't remember...).

I calculated it and for me was no more than 900mg (I'm 45 kg). So I took it 3x 300mg, on empty stomach, no other drugs/ killing herbs, far from vitamins and antioxidants. And with water, no grapefruit juice. I stopped most supplements one day before starting it too.

I thought my head was going to explode as it kills borrelia too, I'm pretty sure!! You herx tons, in my case got neuro and arthritic herxes. I had tried it before, in lower doses, so I knew I was not allergic. Expect strong GI reaction too.

I haven't done my second course yet. But will do. I had tried Riamet before, I think I got no more babesia, but just to be sure, I did these last trials with Artemisinin.

Thanks for the tip on re-doing it again later (Buhner doesn't write about that).

Buhner says: Side effects on high doses: GI upset, loss of apetite, nausea, cramping, diarrhea, vomiting. Very high doses (5000mg day for 3 days) have caused liver inflamation. It resolves after discontinuation.

He recommends red root (Ceanothus americanus) to clear dead cellular tissue from the lymprh system with the die off of babesia.

To add a last thing: I think this high dose artemisinin I took a few days ago helped to clear my joint arthritis as I'm almost 100% arthritis- free for the first time since I got lyme symptoms.

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just commenting on Dr. K's comments about taking artemisinin at high doses intermittently rather than small amounts continually. It isn't my protocol or one I have been on, so I am in no position to say how he expects the dose to be taken.

That said, I took artemisinin at a similar dose once quite awhile ago for what may have actually been one of the lesser Malaria strains, using a WHO regimen I found in one of their publications on different Malaria treatments.

It was a mg./kg. type dose that I don't remember exactly anymore, but as I recall it was a similarly high dose for maybe 5 days, with a double loading dose the first day.

How did I take it? I took a couple at a time the first day to be careful, until I felt safe in taking it in larger amounts. It seems to affect different people very differently. It didn't give me any problems at all except for a very noticable bitter taste in my mouth.

The WHO document really seemed to be saying to take it in one dose each day, and I personally was able to do that with no problem. The ring forms in stained blood smears did not come back, and neither did the severe headaches I had been getting. I wish Lyme was that easy.

You have to have the perspective though that the WHO is talking about treating a very deadly disease... the type of Malaria that they are most concerned with.

When you have a disease that might kill you within the next 48 hours, you have a little different view of the side effects and risks of the medicines!

As far as I know artemisinin is pretty safe, but anytime you take something new and unfamiliar it is good to try it cautiously before just swallowing the maximum dose. I'm sure the Dr. in the article has more specific instructions that he gives to his patients.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLC
Member # 7112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started this yesterday. Took 4 doses:

To add up to 1400 mg. Didn't stop my Malarone or Tindamax. I've noticed no real Herxing. Maybe only some increased arm pain - not a lot.

I've been using Malarone and Tindamax for the last couple of months and never had much of any Herx either. Only started to feel better.

Anyway, I decided not to stop what I was on (the Malarone in particular) 'cause I know that Riamet is a combination of artemether and lumefantrine.

Sooo....it seems artemisinin needs to be in combination with other things to be effective I guess. (if it's effective at all).

I'm gonna do the same 1400mg dose today and tomorrow = 3 days, and I'll post if anything unusual happens....positive or negative.

-CLC

Posts: 81 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Selma:
IF you look on page 164 of Buhner's Healing Lyme book, you will see he actually does write about repeating it later.

In the middle of the page, on "DOSAGE IN LYME DISEASE", he states "which is perhaps why dosage in China is higher -- 800mg to 1600mg per day for three days, repeated again in two weeks".

He mainly recommends the lower dosage of 300 to 500mg daily for 30 to 40 days, for Lyme Disease. THAT is what I am going to go for this month.

Jim. [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped Artemisinin at 600 a day after my hair started falling out in hand fulls. I am very anemic and was taking iron, a no no with artemisinin I found out later...So stopped the iron and the exhaustion and hair loss was more than I could deal with.

If the babs kills the red blood cells and my iron levels are way low, I have to supplement some how....

Doing this pulsing method of high dose every two to three weeks would allow me to address both issues, stopping the iron when I take the artemisinin and beginning again between pulses.

Makes sense to me.

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took higher doses of artemesia when I was taking mepron/ketek without a problem . . . except for when I stopped the artemesia . . .it was very noticeable as far as an increase in symptoms.

I recently tried upping (doubling) my usual artemesinin dose that I pulse weekly and my liver & spleen were inflamed (painful) by the beginning of the 3rd day. I'm still having residual problems and don't have the problem under control yet.

I've been on abx 7 months and have my liver/cbc done every 3-4 weeks and have never had problems until I tried this.

Just relaying my experience. . . . .

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on my second round of abx combined with artemisinin & mepron for treatment with babs.

I have been pulsing 4 days on & 11 days off.

I started out with 300 artemisinin 2XD with my the combo of my other meds the first round.The herx's where strong.

I started my second round today & uped the artemisinin to 5oo in am.Felt like puking all day. [puke]
Decided to go to 400 in my evening dose.The nausa was just a little better.

I only weigh 97 punds and have a sensitive stomach,So I think I must stay at 400 mg in 2XD.The herx's in this protocal for babs is some of the worst I have ever had.Including 6 months IV.

Fever's,Chills,extreme dizzines,extreme fatique,muscle aches,head pressure,overly emotional.And it hit me bad within 4 hours of taking my first dose.It has also started to stir up my pvc's again,which had disapeared a year or more ago.

For those out there with a small body weight and a sensitive stomach,be careful if you decide to go up to a higher dose.

If I trash my stomach ,much like I did this summer, I had to stop all meds untill my stomach healed.Which really set me back.

So be very very careful and listen to you body and don't push it if your stomach isn't able to handle higher does's.In the long run,for me,it just isn't worth it.

I don't know about the 3 3XD with the artemisinin .Would your body only get the lower dose 3 3XD?Your body wouldn't be hit with the higher doses,just sustained lower doses.I wonder if this would be effective enough?

On brighter note after the first 4 days on this treatment (I am to pulse & take 11 days off).It took 4-5 days after stopping the 4 days in herx hell to clear out the herx's & toxins I had a decent rest of the week off.

Take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Elle:

IF you were taking the whole herb artemisia instead of the extract artemisinin, you NEEDED a much larger dose just to get some good out of it.

Buhner states that you need 9 GRAMS 3 times a day of Artemisia, compared to 300 to 500 mg as far as I can tell.

Jim [hi]

hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an update:
I finished a second cycle on high dose artemisinin today. First cycle, 'only 900mg/day for 5 days' (I'm thin). Bad herxes, but body temperature got a little better at the end. But even arthritis improved well (?). Strong GI problems.

Second cycle (2 weeks later):
day 1: 900mg
day 2: 1,100mg
days 3,4,5: 1,200mg
Much less herxes than first time, just first day felt punctual 'explosions' in the head (painful but bearable). Body temperature raised again to normal by the 4th day during day and night, I'm feeling well. I added turmeric and a lot of raw garlic 3x day, but had to withdrawl salt (gave me high blood pressure).

Took LOTS of milk thistle/ artichoke as I had no red root tincture then.

This time, no GI problems (artemisinin is also antiparasitic, must have done the job the first cycle ??).

Only a strange symptom 'appeared'/ got reinforced: ear pressure (?). Today, my main lyme symptom (?) is then only ear pressure, not arthritis anymore. I wonder if this is still nor herx from artemisinin killing more borrelia...

I did another Westernblot last week, wondering what will be the outcome this time...

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Selma:

Please let us know what your blot results are.

Thanks,
Jim [hi]

lesley1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lesley1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To CLC, Dana, Hardynaka (and anyone else who recently tried a high dose of Artemisinim for a few days):

Could you post comments on your experience -- how did it go taking the higher dose, do you think it was more helpful than taking 300 mg/day over a longer period of time? Thanks.

Lesley

Posts: 164 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Hey leslie1945

I think with any other drugs weight is sometimes an important factor.I have dropped down to 95 since I started babs treatments three weeks ago.MY stomach is takin a hit.And I can't afford to lose another pound.

I am taking: atremisinin,biaxin,doxy,plaquinil,mepron,tindamax.Pulsing 4 days on & 11 off.

I know my bad herx's are partly due to introducing the ateminsinin & mepron(only new two drugs)

On my secound round, I upped it to 500 2xd the first day and it was too much.I thought I was gonna die. So I went down to 400 2xd.

just my personal opinion but I dont think the sustained low doses I was doing at first where as effective.

One a positive note my body temp is feeling warmer on my days off.But when I am start my first day back on the babs treatment,get the chills and can't warm up.

For me with the artemisinin has been and still is trial by error.

Am going to start again monday and try the 500 2xd and see if my body does better this time.

I think this babs treatment is stirring things up in my body because on my week off this week I have had joint pain in places I never had before.

Joint pain was never one of my major problems.

This is disturbing to me because with no drugs in me at all for 7 days now how could i still be herxing?

I sure hope I didn't push the ketes or babs into my joints! [Eek!] I am worried about this .

on my four days on ,the worst by far is the crushing fatique,emotional roller coaster,muscle aches,head pressure (worst on first day),chills and brain fog. All my lyme symptoms muliplyed by 10.

I wish there was more hard science/research on the arteminsinin and dosages

Has any one else been pusling for babs and found new symptoms surfacing on their days off?

Take care

[ 10. February 2006, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

JimBoB
Unregistered

Dana:

I have been having pains on ANY of the abx I am on the last few weeks. I didn't have hardly ANY pain before, once I had started the herbs, BEFORE the abx. At least my stomach feels better on Doxy rather than the tetracycline.

My neck is stiff again, though; legs/joints not good; some headaches; occasional eye problems again; (first since started the herbs). [Frown] Very sore left shoulder, again. Vertigo. Darn.

[confused]

Don't like getting these feelings back. Hope they go away once I get off the abx and artemisinin/Red Root in a few weeks. Went back on the Resveratrol tonight, so maybe THAT will help at least a little.???

TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY! [Roll Eyes]

Take care,
Jim [Cool]

liz28
Unregistered

I recently tried Riamet after two weeks of primaquine. Two weeks were not actually the full dose of primaquine, it turns out you are supposed to go for 3-6 weeks, but I had a temporary 90% reduction in symptoms, and when they came back, they weren't as bad as before.

In contrast, the Riamet was not strong enough. The high-dose artemisinin in Riamet did temporarily lower my fever, but the additional malaria drug was too weak, and didn't hit the dormant forms of the babesia. I relapsed in two days. I'm on mepron and artemisinin supplements right now, and if anyone knows how to get additional primaquine that isn't actually sugar pills, please let me know.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement