LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » buzzing in ears

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: buzzing in ears
yourtroubl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yourtroubl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you get rid of the buzzing and ringing in ears? Its getting worse and is driving me crazy.
Posts: 347 | From WV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine seems to come and go, I do notice it is worse at times on abx.

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had ringing in my ears as a symptom, however, that comes and goes.

While on zithromax, I developed steady, loud ear ringing.

At first I thought it was a herx, but then looked up zithromax and called my LLMD.

I was taken off zithromax due to that.

If you are taking zithromax and have ear ringing, please call your LLMD.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that for a couple of years but it went away with IV Rocephin!!! Thank goodness!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, as Sarah said, many have said that lyme treatment helps clear the tinnitus -

Have you recently introduced a new food or consumed any aspartame or MSG?

Have you recently been to a concert after which your ears "rang" or do you use in-the-ear "buds" or headphones for listening to music?

Have you recently gotten a new appliance that is loud? Or have you just taken up woodworking or other hobby with machines?

======================================
and as it may have many causes, this is from my file. I've posted it a time or two. This is sort of an oveview.

Ear protection when around noise is important regardless of the cause of the tinnitus. Vacuums, hair dryers can be damaging to the nerves - and if on abx, ears can be more susceptible to damage. Good luck. Magnesium, calcuim, zinc might help, too.
========================

Tinnitus (the ringing, roaring, whooshing), hyperacusis (sensivity to even soft sounds) and various shades of vertigo and inner/middle ear "stuff" is not uncommon with lyme.

Magnesium helps me some as does staying away from certain foods that gum up my ears (gluten, dairy, corn and maybe soy).
Chemical exposure (to even perfumes) send mine to the moon, too.

If the NMDA receptors are too excited, that can raise the tinnitus, so magnesium to calm, detoxify - or other things to support the GABA and calm the NMDA. Rest can help, too.

Small amounts of GABA helps some, but turns me to jello and knocks me out. Caution with taking glutamine (except small amount) as it can turn to glutamic acid in brain and that can be dangerously stimulating for anyone with nerve involvement.

Cranial-sacral therapy helps - the 8th cranial nerve may be affected.

Some antibiotics make ears more easily damaged from noise, so hearing protection is advised if in noisy envrironments. And some abx can cause some of the hearing "stuff" -

However, I've read many articles or heard reports from those with lyme AND tinnitus /hyperacusis that once the infection(s) clear so does all the hearing stuff. So, just as some abx can be harsh on vestibular, it seems that proper lyme treatment can be a miracle, too. The key is to protect the ear nerves.

Also heavy metal "stuff" may be connected.

here's a bunch of stuff - something of this mix may be of help.

--------

Oto-neurologists or Neuro-otologists are doctors who understand both vestibular and neurological systems.

ENT - Ear, nose, and throat doctors.

Audiologists can help assist with testing, vestibular training and aids. There is something called "tuners" - or similar name that can retrain the ears to disregard the tinnitus.

there are some physical therapists who have special training with vestibular stuff.

(Of all the professionals, it's best to see someone who also really knows about lyme. People with lyme seem to have a whole different mix - and sometimes more involved than most vestibular professionals have ever seen - from my experiences.)

QiGong and Tai Chi are slow movement exercises that can help retrain if balance is affected.

==============================

The Hyperacusis Network consists of individuals who have a collapsed tolerance to sound.

www.hyperacusis.net/

Note: Auditory integrative training (AIT) may be too loud (even damaging) for some people - see the hyperacusis network for info. on that.

================================

The Vestibular Disorders Association (VEDA)

provides information, resources, support, and advocacy for people with dizziness, vertigo, and imbalance and for ...

www.vestibular.org/

==================================

The American Tinnitus Association - http://www.ata.org/

About Tinnitus - http://www.ata.org/abouttinnitus/index.php

In almost all cases, tinnitus is a subjective noise, meaning that only the person who has tinnitus canhear it. People describe hearing different sounds: ringing, crickets, whooshing, pulsing, ocean waves, buzzing, dial tones, even music.

Protect yourself from Tinnitus

risks of loud noise and how you can avoid damage to your ears. Remember Your Hearing Protection and how to properly insert ear plugs.

====================================

http://tinyurl.com/28vzmx

Ototoxic Medications

Timothy C. Hain, MD

Lists and advice such as: Ear drops may contain antibiotics, some of which can be ototoxic when administered to persons with perforated ear drums.
==================

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mshlafer/ototox2.html

Ototoxic Drugs: The Drugs

excerpt:
Minocycline (MINOCIN) appears to be the only member of its class (the tetracyclines, which are widely used antibiotics) to cause ototoxicity. ...

=========================

http://www.tinnitusformula.com/infocenter/articles/treatments/excito.aspx

Excitotoxicity & New Drugs for Tinnitus by Barry Keate -

excerpt:

Communication over synapses between the inner hair cells of the cochlea and the auditory nerve is controlled by glutamate. When hair cells are damaged by exposure to loud noise or ototoxic medications, excessive glutamate is released.

Glutamate is well known to have neurotoxic properties when excessively released or incompletely recycled. This is known as excitotoxicity and leads to neuronal death of the auditory nerve.

-
Tinnitus is common with CFS, too. So the CFIDS Association site or www.immunesupport.com may be another place to search for explanations and solutions while you wait for the lyme treatment to work.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My right ear swooshes a lot. It used to be my left ear. I have constant buzzing in both ears, too. I don't even really hear it anymore, I'm so used to it.

My ear was fine today though until this evening. I looked outside and my new neighbor was on his cell phone. I got my gaussmeter out, and sure enough, the EMFs in this house had gone up.

Nobody is going to tell me that manmade electromagnetic fields are safe and that they do not CAUSE chronic Lyme, when my symptoms always seem to parallel the EMF levels in my home.

My advice is to get rid of your cell phone/cordless phone if you have one, and buy a gaussmeter.

I can't even sleep for more than 3-5 hours in a row tops, because I have to wake up and move around a little so certain areas of my brain don't cook in my sleep. Then I can fall back to sleep for another 3-5 hours sometimes - unless it's the weekend.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was surprised to hear you were taken of Zith because of the ringing; doesn't the benefit outweigh the risk? I have terrible ear ringing but assumed I should just put up with it and hope the zith will work. Is there some reason why you should go off it, other than the annoyance of the ear ringing?

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy,

Zithromax can be ototoxic and can cause permanent hearing damage and hearing loss in some people taking Zithromax. My doctor also pulled me off of oral Zithromax a few months back because of the side effect.

A month after stopping zith my ears finally stopped ringing. I was recently put back on zithromax since it helped me greatly before and the buzzing just stopped on its own after about a week of taking it.

I would consult our doctor about your buzzing because its not worth havent permanent damage done.

Lindsay

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lindsay; I didn't know that.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement