LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lipomas connected to Lyme disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lipomas connected to Lyme disease?
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi -- would like to know whether any of you think lipomas, which are fatty tissue tumors, could be related to Lyme disease. A researcher has asked me this question, so I am asking here. Lipomas could be the round or flat kind. Thanks.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi robin, i have had one for 20 plus years.

do a search found at top; been 2-3 lengthy discussions about them here; perhaps you'll find the answer in them! good luck! [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One Austrian Lyme doc and one German LLMD say: YES!

Hubby has Lyme and lipoma and I know someone else with Lyme symptoms and lots of lipoma. The latter, however, has also typical Bartonella symptoms, so it could also be Bart or any other (maybe still unknown) coinfection.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog had one. She had all sorts of health problems.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one located on top of my shoulder blade. I had this removed at the beginning of my illness (7 years ago), but the doctor did not

take out the whole mass, and it has grown back even larger. I am planning on getting it removed again soon.

Here's my theory on the lipoma-I think that it may be a parasitic nodule for adult microfilia worms. I have read alot on this subject and it

really makes sense. Microfilia have been found in ticks. They migrate to the eyes, and the "floaters" that I have look exactly like the

pictures of microfilial worms. I believe that this could be why me, and many other lymies are not getting better (an unrecognized

coinfection). If you google onchoceriasis, you can see that this disease causes vision problems and lumps (caused by the encapsulation of the

adult worms-which produce the microfilia), typically over bony structures such as the scapula or the head/neck.

Anyway, this is why I feel that many lymies have lipomas and floaters (not the regular floaters

that are dark specks, but ones that look like a fiber that you pulled off a sweater).

Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an abdominal Lipoma that herniated. Had it removed in 2002 (before Lyme was diagnosed)and biopsy showed it to be just that....a Lipoma (fatty tumor)
It should be noted that I am sure I had Lyme at the time of the Lipoma (just misdiagnosed as Multiple Sclerosis at the time).

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an added note: A parasitic nodule can only be distinguished from a lipoma by a parasitic stain. In other words, if you aren't looking

for adult worms, a regular biopsy would probably show that it is a lipoma or some benign mass.
Anyway, this theory may be wrong. I guess we'll

see when I have the lipoma removed and tested by the parasite stain.

Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That i s good to know....to ASK for a parasitic stain if I ever have another Lipoma removed.

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Tailz-just curious...did your dog have heart worms?
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has Lyme, Babs, Bartonella, and MANY lipomsa. However, he definitely had the lipomas before having Lyme disease.

He is from California, and has had the lipomas for about 30 years. His father had them as well.

He was diagnosed with Lyme about 8 years ago after moving to Connecticut, had a bulls eye rash and positive tests.

So in his case, no relation.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wxrock
Member # 13039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wxrock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have CNS Lyme and I also had a large lipoma attached to my scapula (deep inside the arm pit). MRI revealed a 10cm tumor, which was removed in August.

Of course, lipomas are exceedingly common, so it's dangerous to jump to the conclusion that LD and lipomas are related. I'd like to see research references on this subject, if anyone has them.

Posts: 40 | From Lancaster PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I started yrs. ago with small lumping.

Now has taken over, all over my bod. & growing.

Told I would have scars all over if ever started removing.
Wish could have one, least tested at right place knows about.

They are now becoming quite painful as entwine with nerves, as they enlarge.

Is this part of cyst form. To have as many?

Only real Lyme treatment was short term(3 weeks),doxy. Also 1 doc. tried Vit C. He was dxed with CFIDS, quit practice, my only help with this DD. Now hear he is dxed with Lyme.

My primary only gives band aid meds.
About lumps all he said was Hmmmm, feels like you have FM lumps. That was that, as they grow.

Good luck, I have found this is quite common with pts. that have Co-Infect., such as what is called FM...
Take Care [group hug] Hugggsss to ALL in Need

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx all for responding. if any more folks wish to do so, please do.

Kerry, I'd like to pm you, but you don't seem to list this as an option...

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement