LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ROXithromycin Kill lyme 3 wks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ROXithromycin Kill lyme 3 wks
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
read this.
I am on this for 2 days and I feel WAY more herx then ever..but less painful herxing but EVERYwhere
including my brain. people why waste your time with high priced drugs and super high doses when rox and batrim at easy to deal with dosing kills lyme. quickly. I will bet the supost failures here or wherever are due to co infections. kill the lyme first, then look for cos.

Roxithromycinin the treatment of Lyme disease--update and perspectives.Gasser R, Wendelin I, Reisinger E, Bergloff J, Feigl B, Schafhalter I, Eber B, Grisold M, Klein W.
Klinische Physiologie, Medizinische Universitatsklinik Graz, Austria.

Spirochaetal infections have been successfully treated with penicillin; more recently, erythromycin has been used in cases with known penicillin allergy.

The discovery of the spirochaete Borrelia burgdorferi and the elaboration of a new generation of macrolides with properties that differ from older macrolides have led to new ways of treating spirochaetal disease with these compounds.

This paper presents data on the in vitro and in vivo efficacy of a combination of roxithromycin and co-trimoxazole against B. burgdorferi. In vitro (checkerboard technique; B. burgdorferi strain B31; modified BSK II medium) it was found that while roxithromycin showed excellent efficacy against B. burgdorferi (MIC 0.031 mg/l), co-trimoxazole had no effect.

However, the combination of both chemotherapeutics led to a minor synergistic effect, decreasing the MIC for roxithromycin by one dilution step at concentrations of co-trimoxazole from 256 to 8 mg/l. In addition, a clearly reduced growth of microorganisms was seen at concentrations of roxithromycin as low as 0.015 mg/l in combination with 256 to 4 mg/l co-trimoxazole, when compared to the positive controls. Most interestingly, however, the motility of B. burgdorferi was markedly reduced even when the two drugs were combined at very low concentrations.

In an in vivo, non-randomised, open, prospective pilot study it was found that of 17 patients with confirmed late Lyme borreliosis (stage II/III), treated with combined roxithromycin (300 mg b.i.d.) and co-trimoxazole for 5 weeks, 13 (76%) recovered completely by the end of treatment, and four continued to have symptoms on follow-up at 6 and 12 months. This success rate is similar to that seen with i.v. penicillin and ceftriaxone. It appears that the reduced motility of B. burgdorferi makes the pathogen more accessible to the immune system.
offshore-pharma.com/cat--Macrolide--Macrolide.html
PMID: 7782115 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

What are your dosing numbers--milligrams and times per day. Thanks.
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband is currently on Roxy/bactrim ds and plaquenil combo. The week four herx has been intense with a lot of pain. There has been a lot of improvement too.

He takes 600mgs roxy per day.

I agree its a great drug. But I don't think there is a one drug fits all solution. What works for some doesn't for others. It's really trial and error.

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes- GREAT choice James- Bactrim is great stuff!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

the pinging has stopped now, but I feel something I never felt before. It feels like my entire CNS including my brain is shaking. I NEVER felt this on the other drugs. Anyone relate to that? BTW, its been going on for hours..I mean I am shaking a bit too...wow nerve damage is showing its face..i think that means the body is picking up on the prob and trying to heal.omgosh feels like my head a vibrating and my fingers are shaking. I WAS super tired for the past 5 weeks (1st time in the lyme thing...35 year infection and a reinfect and I think baba 5 years ago) Anyway is shaking a good sign...it feels like body trying to heal...
jamescase20
Unregistered

This is what prompted gasser to do the study, I Would take the bactrim first..I think it disables the bug preventing it from going into cyst form. (well...as gasser says) 600mg roxy and um.320/1600 bactrim..

I think thats DS 2 x a day

THE LANCET, VOL. 336, (NOV 10, 1990) p. 1189f.

Oral treatment of late borreliosis with roxithromycin
plus co-trimoxazole

SIR, - Early, but not late, Lyme borreliosis has been successfully
treated with oral antibiotics such as penicillins, erythromycin, and
tetracycline. The possibility of an oral treatement is desirable,
especially in view of the great difficulties that arise with long-lasting
intravenous treatment in third-world countries.(1, 2)
Various workers have shown relapses and failure of treatment in late
Lyme borreliosis(adrodermatitits chronica atrophicans, arthritis,
neuroborreliosis) even with high doses of intravenous penicillin or
ceftriaxone. (2, 3)
Treatment that is both orally applicable and effective is certainly
needed.(2) Co-trimoxazole is a powerful antibiotic combination to
which many microorganisms respond, including the spirochaete
Treponema pallidum. Furthermore, it has been show that the new
macrolides(such as roxithromycin) show a remarkable antimicrobial
activity angaint B burgdorferi.(4,5)
It is noteworthy that the blood/brain barrier is highly permeable
to roxithromycin.
A 30-year-old man infected with B burgdorferi 7 years ago was
successfully treated with a combination of roxithromycin(300 mg
twice daily) and trimethoprim/sulphamethoxazole(320 mg/1600 mg
twice daily) after both intraveous penicillin(20 million IU
daily ober 3 weeks) and later ceftriaxone 2 g twice daily for 3 weeks)
had failed (figure {not included} ). Both intravenous penicillin
and ceftriaxone reduced the symptoms transiently, while IgG remained
positive.
However, shortly after a 3-week course of roxithromycin/co-trimoxazole
all symptoms disappeared and a recent assessment of IgG revealed a
negative titre. The recovery of the patient's neurological
disorders was strikingly rapid, possibly because of the high
permeability of the blood/brain barrier to roxithromycin. Thus,
albeit in only 1 patient, we have shown successful oral treatment of
late Lyme borreliosis with a combination of roxithromycin and
co-trimoxazole.

Robert Gasser, University Laboratory of Physiology, Osford OX1 3 PT, UK

Johann Dusleag, University Medical Clinic, Graz, Austria

jamescase20
Unregistered

I was told roxy is the ONLY marmaid that crosses BBB thats why 5 weeks killed it.
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey James, what's a marmaid?.....Is it kinda like a mermaid? Maybe you were thinking macrolide?

There was a thread on this just a few days ago. Gabrielle from Germany said that the actual results are poor....no better than with other macrolides.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 8 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, so your going to believe heresay over a actual study that was done in a university setting?

Whats your buddies numbers...show his controls...etc..

roxy is the only one that readily crosses the BBB... But I also rotate in flagyl and daily amantadin (quineine like drug)

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe the numbers? Those are test numbers, and we all know that actual experiences over time never seem to pan out like the studies show.

The Gasser study was done in 1995....don't you think that if it worked like the small study says that it should, that every LLMD would have this combo in operation? Not to mention word of mouth between Lymies.

If the study is correct, you shouldn't have to be adding Flagyl or any of the other drugs that you are using to it either....you are changing the rules by doing this. Is it because you don't believe that it is enough by itself?

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

well def dif strains etc..co infections...various condition of the persons taking the pills. etc. The study never said it prevents them from converting into cysts. So..I am going to rotate in flagyl. The study was only done on 17 persons...so...not like major for sure, but def more then...oh...my friend tried it it didnt work. But common sense tells u that you NEED to get into the brain and the other related drugs dont get in there as good as roxy does.
jamescase20
Unregistered

my point was to get a discussion going about the people who HAVE used this treatment drug. Alot of the common drugs used dont appear to cross the BBB. And it just dont make alot of sense that you have to dump TONS of high dose abx take them for like 6 months or longer and STILL not be cured. There has to be a way around this. I dont know if its worth anything but I noted my pings changed from very painful to barely painful but more of them when I started the roxy. And def opened up the brain I could feel it right away. I picture zithermax exploding the buggers, while roxy and bactrim make them paralized then gently kill them...thus releasaing less nerotoxins perhaps in the process? I swear I feel more activity then before..but much less pain.
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a common treatment protocol for Lyme here in Germany - our docs also read this publication.

I did this combo twice for 6 weeks each. It did nothing for me!

Others had nice improvements on it but in all the 4 years that I'm writing in the German Lyme forum I never heard of anyone been cured with it in 5 weeks. Actually, I don't know anyone who got cured by it even with longer treatment- but of course, I cannot know everybody. And maybe the cured ones never cared to report back?

Gasser says that the efficacy of Roxy + Bactrim can be compared with that of Ceftriaxone and penicillin. I want to add that I also don't know many chronic Lymies who have been cured with 5 weeks of Cef or penicillin. So, Gasser is probably right that the efficacy is the same...

I knew one Austrian woman who saw Prof. G. himself - it didn't cure her - she died of Lyme, etc. some time ago!

Still, it might be a very good combination for some of us - all depending on the mix of coinfections one has.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works for you - please report back.

Gabrielle

[ 21. December 2007, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Gabrielle ]

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy for you but that study was done in
1: Infection. 1995;23 Suppl 1:S39-43
Also in Austria .
I have done biaxin by itself and with other abx's and also with Mepron & bactrim. And I have done them some stints 6 months at a time.
Sorry its not a cure all which in time you will see unfortunatly.
Good luck though.
I will say this biaxin ,mepron and bactrim just about did me in had to drop after 3.5 months the mepron had drug induced fevers.

Oh and heres some good news but not so for lymies because immune systems are effected.

"When taken before a meal, roxithromycin is very rapidly absorbed, and diffused into most tissues and phagocytes. Due to the high concentration in phagocytes ((which very few lymies have)), roxithromycin is actively transported to the site of infection. During active phagocytosis, large concentrations of roxithromycin are released."
Bummer

Mechanism of action
Roxithromycin prevents bacteria from growing, by interfering with their protein synthesis. Roxithromycin binds to the subunit 50S of the bacterial ribosome, and thus inhibits the translocation of peptides. Roxithromycin has similar antimicrobial spectrum as erythromycin, but is more effective against certain gram-negative bacteria, particularly Legionella pneumophila.
With that said I would still try Roxy and Bactrim together

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A connection

Googled
Roxithromycin-RL� - GlaxoSmithKline AustraliaRoxithromycin-RL is used to treat various infections caused by bacteria. For example: Acute pharyngitis (sore throat and discomfort when swallowing) ...
www.gsk.com.au/products_prescription-medicines_detail.aspx?view=383 - 27k -

Roxythromycin-RL 150mg and 300mg film-coated tablets pdf

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 11 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm allergic to sulfas, so can't do Bactrim...even sulfites in red wine make me start wheezing....
[Frown]

I wonder if I could do it by taking allergy pills continuously along w/the abx?

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, James,

How are you doing? What was the outcome of your try with Roxy?

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glassgal
Member # 668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassgal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took this combination in the 90s for a few months and it didn't cure me.

Ellen

Posts: 25 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand the 3 week cure. [dizzy]

If bb is one of the slowest bacteria to replicate (ie once every 30 days)

Then how could 3 weeks do the job.

There are other drugs that cross the bbb.

Mino is one example. Yet there is no 3 week "cure" with mino.

I (believe) that is why if you are only treating Lyme,

It would be a minimum of 18 months to completely cover every replication cycle.

That is what I've read anyways.

Of course, this is just my rudimentary thinking.

I hope this works for you.....and you get well soon.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

That's just 18 months to clear the forms with cell walls.

After those are gone, there are still cysts, as well as L-forms (about

which you can do

nothing.)

bv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original post is bogus. The study cited is 14 years old & subsequent studies say Roxy not effective against LD.
Posts: 213 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 weeks is optimistic but Roxithromycin does seem to have some literature behind it in fighting Lyme.

bv, What sources did you find stating it is NOT effective?

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement