LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » diabetes insipidus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: diabetes insipidus
NHgirl
Member # 13585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NHgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the search and read what was there.

Does anyone else have this along with Lyme?

Any info. on possible association between the two?

Why does it take a llmd to get to the bottom of things?

I've been telling my regular doc. for months about excessive thirst and peeing and heart palpitations when I have a full bladder (along with my Lyme symptoms).

Now this is making a litle sense.

--------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo

Posts: 61 | From South Carolina | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

though i haven't been official diagnosed with DI, i have all the symptoms of it, and yes, it's caused by my lyme/coinfections.

also, i've read that mold biotoxins can cause this symptom - check out the book 'mold warriors' by dr. shoemaker.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justwondering
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justwondering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never been diagnosed with this but I have often wondered if I have it.

Even when I gave birth to my second child and was in the hospital (with undiagnosed lyme and co's) the nurses were SHOCKED at how my catheter bag just kept filling and filling

even though I had drank hardly anything during those days

wonder what that means....hmmmm

It is so hard to know what symptoms are just all from lyme and/or co's or are actually separate illnesses

Posts: 209 | From maryland | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In one of her essays, one of our German LLMDs mentions Diabetes insipidus as being Lyme induced.

I also wondered if I have it but I only have the peeing a lot thing and not the thirst thing.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wife drinks and pee's like a fish, all day and all night. had to put a 5 gal water cooler next to her bed.

Taking to get tested for diabiates this week. Dont know if it's related to lyme or if due to poor eating habits as chocolate is an quick high if your feeling down. Wifey eats waaaay too much sugar, but is not obease.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NHgirl
Member # 13585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NHgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies! I think our next step will be to see if there is something going on in the Pituitary gland that might be causing the low ADH. Well, at least I know WHY I am so thirsty and drinking and peeing all the time.

LLMD will discuss this with me at next appt. Feb. 5. Thanks for the input!

--------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo

Posts: 61 | From South Carolina | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i, too, just have the peeing out clear pee all the time, not the excessive thirst. interesting.

--------------------

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you on any medications that cause dry mouth? If yes, drinking doesn't actually rid you of dry mouth. If you drink enough because of it, water will go right through you.

If I don't drink a lot of water when I take my Zanaflex, I get dry mouth that just won't go away.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a type 2 diabetic. When I went gluten/dairy/sugar free in Nov. my blood sugars went down dramatically!!! They were usually 150 - 200. Now they are down to 90 - 110. They went down before any treatment for babs started so I'm pretty sure it's the food allergies that made the difference. I realize that these are the foods that also have the carbs in them. My LLMD said I would really have to watch the rice since it is a simple carb, but I haven't had any trouble with it. I have a physical this week so it will be interesting to see what my regular doctor thinks.

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, another thing. I think I read that fibro also causes thirst.

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

just a note, diabetes insipidus and 'regular' sugar diabetes are two completely different conditions. not related in the slightest, except in name, and the only reason the names are similar is because the two illnesses cause similar symptoms.

diabetes insipidus (or 'water diabetes') has to do with low ADH levels, or alternately, the kidney's inability to recognize normal levels of ADH.

--------------------

stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NHgirl,

After 6 mos. of onset of lyme symtoms (w/ one week of oral steriods, big no no ), I could not drink enough water and literaly would spill it down the front of me because I couldn't get it in fast enough at times. It came out just as fast and I was losing weight.

In that time I had HBP 110/160 heart racing, irregular heartbeat ect.

Because of the heart issues I was put on a small dose of toprol xl.

Within a week all the thirst symptoms dissapeared and never came back.

After 2 1/2 yeras of lyme and co-infection tx, I was able to get off the toprol and it has not returned.

Still on a low dose of abx.

What was it that caused all the symptoms?? Who knows??

Good Luck

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BABESIOSIS can change acid base balances
and can cause acidosis as happens in diabetes.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement