LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can artemisinin cause drenching sweats where there is no Babesia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can artemisinin cause drenching sweats where there is no Babesia?
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 2 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if it's possible that the artemisinin, itself, could cause drenching sweats.

Does anyone know if this is could happen?

[confused]

[ 01. February 2008, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi -- I was told that artemesinin in itself can cause a "herxheimer like reaction" in individuals with no TBD. But they listed headache, aches, slight fever, as things one could experience in association with this.

Not sure about drenching night sweats?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AliG-

The short is answer is: I don't know. The long answer is: I haven't found any evidence of this. If you read the PubMed Journal articles on side effects of artemisinin, it only addresses neurotoxicity as a side effect. The articles say in some instances they have seen evidence of neurotoxcity (tremors, gait problems) with art but that more studies need to be conducted. I haven't seen anything about drenching sweats being a side effect of art in the absence of eradication of protozoa.

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've been having Babs Sx again. Last month I took some artemisinin for a few days. I started waking with the drenching sweats again.

I just got the lab results & Babs came out negative. I was quite surprised because I thought Babs was why I was getting the sweats. Now I really don't know what to think anymore.

[confused]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you been treated for babesia? For how long, and how aggressively?

Bart can also cause sweats....although I think they are described more as sticky rather than drenching.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
21 day course Mepron/Zith > maintained on Zith (Sx came back) > 21 day course Mepron/Zith (titers came down & so did Sx)

Txd Lyme with Doxy 3 months, until Herxes & progress stopped & started losing gained ground.

Then 2 months Mepron & Doxy.

After that, I was told my Sx were Lyme & we tried Suprax > Doxy > Amox > Doxy > IV Ceftriaxone > Cefdinir > Azithromycin

--------------------

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I just got the lab results & Babs came out negative. I was quite surprised because I thought Babs was why I was getting the sweats.

What lab?

Has Fry had a look-see?

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

I think I have heard that you may have to treat babs longer then 21 days...I know many people out here who have been treating over 6 months. I think the idea is the red blood cells which babesia infects regenerate every 4 months, so the idea is to stay on treatment at least one cycle of regeneration, if not 2.

Just a thought.

Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AliG,

Those co-infection tests are just not very good at catching every possible strain.

I say ask your LLMD to treat your symptoms.

Try a couple of bottles of tonic water....

See if you get the sweats again.

BTW, I never tested positive via Igenex Fish.

You should see me herx on babs meds. [Frown]

It isn't pretty. [Frown]

You know if you have ever been diagnosed with babesia,

You can never give blood. Ever.

To me that says a lot.

Maybe it is something we have to knock down for our immune systems to

Handle like EBV and CMV.

I am sure I have at least one more run at babesia therapy

Coming my way. The never ending saga continues.....

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

I had pulled postive IGG/IGM tests from Quest and the titers didn't start to drop until after the second course of Mepron.

The 3rd course (2 mos w/Doxy instead of Zith) didn't seem to have an effect on my Sx.

That lifetime ban on blood donation really gets to me too. [Roll Eyes] That's really NOT a good sign.

I'm thinking that, since I'm on Zith right now & it doesn't seem to be doing anything, maybe I'll give the artemisinin another shot & see what happens.

I do have the annorexia /mild nausea again and have been getting chills. I also have the headache, aches, & fever anyway so that wouldn't make a big dif if art causes that. I think I'll see if I get the sweats again if I take it.

This is just so annoying!

--------------------

improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking to my llmd yesterday and he mentioned that he feels the best testing for babs is the smear test from Fry. Just thought I'd mention it.

You make a good case about the possibility due to the sx.

How do you feel your immune system is lately? Just curious.

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Painful swollen glands, slight fever, feel like I've been run over by a bus.....

I'm guessing that, since I feel like I did after my last tick bites & my WB is back down to only 23 IGM pos AGAIN, my immune system is not my best friend at the moment.

Previous Babs tests were reflective of infection, most recent test shows nothing. ???

[Frown]

--------------------

improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you've posted your history many times but I forget, have you treated bart?
Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

nope - tested negative

IMO - had several Barty Sx this past month. Tests STILL negative.

[Frown]

I'm thinking maybe it's the BLO. ???

--------------------

improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

I was just readin tx guidelines again last night ( I think it was Dr B's) and I was reminded that bart testing is very unreliable. I'm no doctor but when I hear painful swollen lymphs I think bart. Although lyme can also cause this.

It sems that with all the babs tx and everything else you've done you are still being picked on by something that's been evading the assult.

Go back to some of your bart research (I know you've researched everything like me) and consider the possibility.

I am about to start bicillin but I was just thinking last night, I get lymph involvement sometimes and if I have bart the bicillin probably won't touch it.

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ali...don't forget that testing only covers 2 out of over 11 strains of Babs.

Peace, Love, and Wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Thanks for the reminders. [Smile]

Now if I can just convince these Drs that we need to take a different approach here. [bonk]

I guess I just need to keep listing my Sx until the 25th & then maybe whack LLMD over the head with my list. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, so let me just clear about this:

Artemisinin ONLY acts on Babesia, right?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wack him or her NOW! Never wait until tomorrow for what you can do today.

Then, when you go to your appointment they will LISTEN!!!...or, wack em' again!

Dis is da way da famli duz tings. Boom...done.

Next problem?

JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

According to Buhner, artemisinin is antimalarial, antiparasitical, antitumor, antiviral, antifungal, calcium antagonist, immunomodulator, plasmodicide,schizonticide, antispirochetal (in vitro)& broadly active against dermatophytes and is stimulating interest as an anticancer compound.

It's also shown to be antiendotoxin in vitro.

JRW,
What happened to your "Peace, Love & Wellness"?
Sheeesh, that sounded a tad abusive! [Eek!]
LOL

[ 02. February 2008, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

stormton
Member # 14412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stormton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy I thought I was the only one that got these dreaded drenching night sweats when I take artmenisin.

I am currently targeting bartonella with 1200mg rifampin and 2000mg biaxin due to many obvious bartonella symptoms.

I haven't taken artemenisin in about 5 months but I do remember the experience very well. I was taking super artmenisin from allergy research. And it did not matter how many capsules I took per day. It was always on day 2 or 3 of taking art that I would wake with the most god awful night sweats. I'll never forget the large beads of sweat all over my head and neck.

Is this a side effect? I would like to know the answer to that. Is this a babesia herx? Or does artmenisin have an effect on bartonella or the bartonella like organism that we don't know about? Any opinions are welcome because I have also spoken to other individuals that are targeting bartonella and get this strange horrible night sweats and depression whenever they take artmenisin.

Posts: 25 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

maybe it has to do with the immunomodulation?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement