LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » can you have mild lyme disease ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can you have mild lyme disease ?
doc
Member # 14471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife has been dx lyme in january ,after 6 yrs dx fibrom. All the lyme symptoms arthrtis, nerologic the rest.

My ? is can you have a mild case of lyme.

I ask cause we both got sick about the same time & I have most of the same symptoms but not near as bad as her.

Mostly tolerable but diffinetly
off from how i felt before we got sick. thanks for your input, Doc(nickname)

[ 25. February 2008, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: doc ]

Posts: 95 | From nys | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes. there are many variables. pre-exposure-your genes-immune function.

everyone is different and responds to tx differently

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES!!! All people are affected differently!!!

some in wheel chairs,some bed bound, some walking wounded,some able to work others never able!!observes--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doc
Member # 14471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The next ? is do you treat it . I think ive heard you might activate it (**** it off). Id hate to get worse treating it, but sure like to get better . what has been your experinces on when to treat . newbe , Doc
Posts: 95 | From nys | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doc
Member # 14471

The next ? is do you treat it . I think ive heard you might activate it (**** it off). Id hate to get worse treating it, but sure like to get better . what has been your experinces on when to treat . newbe , Doc
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go see an LLMD. Why wait till you get sick? We treated my daughter who had minimal symptoms, her treatment went fast and was easy compared to mine.

Then do what you can to maintain your health to keep it from coming back.

I have had it for 35 years. It was "liveable" for me. I had a few times symptoms flared badly, but mostly it was as you describe. Then five years ago it all of a sudden got worse and I ended up quite ill and disabled from it.

Treatment has been difficult.

The good news is that I have gotten better faster than average .... I'm sure you'll find that, too, since it hasn't knocked you down to badly yet.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my daughter-in-law tested more positivve than all of us and she said she didn't have symptoms

she got tx anyway...and her learning disabilities and pms went away. she had lived with the symptoms so long she just thought that was the way she was.

she went back to college and got A's. when she stopped tx she couldn't do her work.

after 3 yrs of high dose oral abx and a yr of detox i was a lot better and maintained for a long while by taking certain supplements and doing life style changes

i think it helps to keep the load of ketes down

may give me more time before i relapse

i found continuing tx when your symptoms don't seem to improve doesn't help. changing the tx or pulsing may help.

but when your body needs a break from abx there are many supps and alt tx that can help keep the ketes down

other wise they just get deeper into you and reproduce...ready and waiting for when you get stressed or have a trauma...or even another tick bite

remember: i'm not a doc. just a lymie. i'm pretty sure what i said is true. it is how i think about the disease and why i make the decisions i do to keep it controlled

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Doc,

Abx! ASAP. You've seen first hand how deleterious Lyme can be.

I had it for years, I can see in retrospect, and kept it at bay. Then after another exposure, my symptoms became clearly worse, and then a few years later (likely another exposure), I became 1/2 disabled, and then a few years later, fully disabled.

Best wishes,

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally empathize why "you're on the fence" and many of my friends/family members have had the same experience and chosen NOT to treat.

ME: There's no way in hell I'm letting something fester and grow in my body, knowing that it could lead to MS or ALS or a stroke or worsening of symptoms.

I say KILL the thing. The lower the strain/symptoms, the better luck you'll have at nipping it in the bud, and hopefully LESS of a scary treatment.

It's totally subjective but in my brain, there was NO choice and in hindsight, I'm glad I went for it...better quality of life.

Listen to your heart,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doc
Member # 14471

Has anyone here gotten worse from treating a milder case, (other than herxing) . thanks all Doc
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a reasonable question, in view of the hassle and expense of getting treated. Not sure what the right answer is for you.

In my case, I had what might be described as mild symptoms for the two years after the bite, but then the roof fell in. Major multisystem crash. Not sure why it happened then as there didn't seem to be any particular trigger, no trauma, other illness, or anything.

In some people the immune system may hold it down indefinitely. In other people, it may take a while to get really sick. In still others, they get very sick immediately after the tick bite. So, no telling what will happen in any particular case. Or what kinds of side effects might happen during treatment. It is also common to have quite different responses to an antibiotic. So, not clear what will happen with treatment, ends up being trial and error. Sure wish the testing and symptoms were better delineated and accurate, so all this trial and error was NOT necessary.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc,
I wonder that too. If I'd started treatment back when I had a mild case (90% well), I wonder if I would've had less herxing and gotten entirely well. (Of course, no one knew anything about this 30 years ago.)

At first, it was classic CFS, sleeping a lot and always weak and tired. I slowly reached the 90% remission and it held for years.

Then, I had a physical trauma, and had a relapse. I ended up worse (with FM) since that time. So, in hind sight, I wish I could've known to go after it before that life threatening illness made my symptoms worse.(Still nothing known about it at that time, so another moot point.)

I don't know what silent damage may have been done that's gone unseen until now. I finally have good medical help, but I wonder if it's too late for total remission.

So, I suggest looking into ways to keep it from getting worse. Those who reach remission take herbs, or supplements to keep it in check.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might look into something like the Cowden protocol that is gentler than abx and works on detox and adrenal support. I am weaning from abx onto full Cowden. It has been going very well for me except that right now Cowden does not treat babesia, so I've had to go back on babs meds.

www.nutramedix.com

It is not cheap, but it is a good alternative if you don't want to do full-blown abx treatment with few symptoms.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doc
Member # 14471

Just to clarify my condition. looking back i think i first got this 20+ yrs ago when living in conn.

I got some fatiuge and flu symptoms witch mostly passed, but came and went over the next 15 yrs. some other wierd things over the yrs docs could never figure out .

Sometimes dizzy ,high white blood count & others. (still funcnable) . Then 6 yrs ago both the wife and i got flue symptoms that never went all the way away. (hers worse . doc said fibro after 5 months)

I am still mostly getting by but have many poor days with some brain fog, neck & knee pain , tired most of the time ,weak feeling in general.

She goes back to her llmd mid march I will talk with him about this then & see what he thinks.

just hate to treat and get worse as i still get by pretty fairly (kind of )lol .

I did a modified salt/c for 2 months (worked up to about 8 grms ) . It did help some with br fog & a bit with pain. but stopped after reading some of the post here, although i seemed to tolerate it well.

I asked llmd (dr h hudson valley)on her first visit about s/c. he said many are helped by it but its needs more rescech.

Probable will have w/b test done at that time just not sure i can afford to treat both of us $$. (sorry about spelling) Doc

[ 25. February 2008, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: doc ]

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

doc, I see the same LLMD. I agree that it's good to ask him. You can also buy the Cowden protocol from him at a discount if you decide to go that route.

Knowing more of your story, there is no doubt in my mind I would treat. No doubt.

You WILL get worse if you don't ... you MAY get worse temporarily from herxing if you do ..... your wife's LLMD can make you well.

--------------------

doc
Member # 14471

She actualy sees his np under him, ( np f )as he isnt taking new paticints. But get to see him a few minutes on visits, Doc
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

That's their standard protocol .... as far as I know, everyone really sees an NP, and the doctor on occasion. The NP's are also very good. [Smile]

--------------------

canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course there is the wonderful distinct possibility that you can reinfect your wife and vice versa, and neither of you get completely well / into remission.

I sincerely hope you've heard our collective cautionary wisdom. I wish I'd known anything about the symptoms of Lyme Disease in 2000, when I'd picked 100's of ticks off the dog, and one burst in my hands.

I asked the vet if there was any Lyme disease in Nova Scotia, "No". Well, Yes. [Eek!]

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it can be quite mild. Infections with certain strains can even

be self-limiting (these ones are so few and far between,

though.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sixgoofykids,
Can't you take the Quina on the Cowden? It is specifically for Babs. (Quina = quinine) Or has he removed it from the protocol for some reason? Samento does kill a couple of strains of Babs too, so you might get lucky.

- - -- - - - - -- - -

doc,
Here is another reason to treat ASAP. I was misdiagnosed twice, for a total of 21 yrs. before getting the Lyme dx. During that time, Lyme dysregulated my immune system.

Now my immunity is so TH2 dominant that I am allergic to all of the ABX that kill Lyme. Fluroquinolones are the only class of ABX I am not allergic to, and not only do they not kill Lyme, they can make it worse. I am screwed.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Klutzo, thanks for the suggestion, I take Cumanda two weeks, and quina two weeks.

Cowden is also coming out with an herbs specifically for babs .... should be out this month.

I'm back on Malarone, and today the herx is finally subsiding after three days. Not too bad compared to last time. [Wink]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement