LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » non-refrigerated probiotics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: non-refrigerated probiotics?
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been researching probiotics, and am wondering what you all think of the non-refrigerated kind.

I wrote to one company about this and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for your email and interest in Garden of Life products. Garden of Life probiotics such as Primal Defense Ultra do not require
refrigeration. Garden of Life believes that probiotics are their most beneficial when they are not separated from their food source. The
probiotics in Primal Defense(r) are cultured with whole foods and then left intact.

Many probiotic companies separate the probiotics from their
food source. This is why so many probiotics need to be kept refrigerated. Once stripped of their food source, probiotics need to be kept refrigerated in order to remain viable. For this reason, Garden of
Life believes the probiotic food source is as important to the delivery of the benefits of probiotics as the probiotics themselves.

The probiotics that are made by Garden Of Life also do not need refrigeration because they remain dormant in a dry state and only activate when they become moist. This process begins when they are
ingested and so activation will begin in the gut. If the products are refrigerated there is the potential for the probiotics to become moist,
and possibly activate before they are ingested."

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take the pearls which do not need to be refrigerated but you can buy them at most drug stores.

I get these b/c the others that don't need to be refrigerated say however many live organisms guaranteed AT TIME OF MANUFACTURE. The pearls don't have this stipulation on them. Just however many live organisms is guaranteed (not just at time of manufacture).

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Laura.
Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Mercola also sells probiotics which do not require refrigeration. I do not agree with everything he says but I do think he is picky about what he sells and takes care that they work.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used tyhe Teralac thinking thart since expensive must be good (refrid). Ha! had more yeast infections than ever and I was taking quite a few. My LLMD Dr. P. said he's found The "expensive ones" are bunk. He said cheap, non-refrig better.

Sure enough, get mine from Swanson Vitamins Acvidophilos...250 for around 4 bucks. Each pill has 2 billion cells. I get their Probiotic 4 product too.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

quote:
My LLMD Dr. P. said he's found The "expensive ones" are bunk. He said cheap, non-refrig better.
Interesting!

Thanks, everyone.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pearls are bunk, at least in my experience.

There ARE good non-refrigerated brands....just depends.

I personally get GREAT results from the Theralac....excellent as a matter of fact!

I'm also using NuFerm's "Wholefoods with Probiotics." I have the one that is gluten free.

It is refrigerated after you open it (or keep in a cool, dark place)and is probably similar to the Garden of Life product.

www.livingfoodsusa.com

www.theralac.com

Read the recent probiotics thread here. It may be on page 2 by now.

[ 12. March 2008, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My LLMD absolutely insists on refrigerated probiotics. I cant explain all of his reasons, however, he success record in treating late Lyme I think speaks for itself.

So, I take the refrigerated...docs orders.

BJK

--------------------
BJK

Nothing I write here is medical advice...I'm just another lymie sharing how this disease has affected me personally

Posts: 175 | From Central Maine | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I posted a thread called "Testing Probiotics" and I just pulled it up to page one, again.

That may have been what the gal who keeps loosing her drawers was referring to!

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use iflora professional strength by Sedona Labs.

It's shelf-stable and one of the strongest probiotics I've seen.

Not cheap, but you can buy it at Dr. Hulda Clark's store as well as other vitamin shops. It's also the one recommended by my LLMD.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pre Lyme days when I worked with doctors they only used the following, no need to keep in fridge - I still use them to this day:-

Enzyme Pre Pro-Biotic Formula

www.solaltech.com

Enzyme/Pre/Pro-Biotic Formula

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewarrior03
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewarrior03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Culturelle was suggested by my LLMD.

No refridgeration needed.

When I was on abx I took 2 after every meal,
saved my life, stopped the bloating etc.

You can experiment with dosage...to see what works for you.

Posts: 661 | From NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daise:

That may have been what the gal who keeps loosing her drawers was referring to!

Who ME?? [Big Grin]

I've tried the pearls and compared to Theralac [which IS refrigerated, btw] they are nothing. I also tried PB8 and it was "nothing."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just talked to my cousin who is a Chiropractor and knows a lot about supplements. He said even if a probiotic says it doesn't need to be refrigerated to still refrigerate them.

I also want to try the test to see if they are active. Someone posted about it on here recently.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use critcal care and the woman at the health food store said never to buy a probiotic that doesn't need to be refrigerated. something about the heat, even in a normal kitchen environment, kills off the good stuff.

sounds good to me.

only problem is, when it's in the refrigerator i often forget to take it. it's got to be right in front of my face for me to remember!!

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
only problem is, when it's in the refrigerator i often forget to take it. it's got to be right in front of my face for me to remember!!

This is partly why I was asking! If I keep all the bottles together, I'm more likely to take everything! :-)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement