LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Some info about coconut oil.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some info about coconut oil.
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.coconut-connections.com/res1.htm

(excerpt)

This is further enhanced by the fact that short and medium chain fatty acids are made soluble and absorbed in the aqueous phase of the intestinal contents and transported directly via the portal vein to the liver where they are consumed as an energy source similar to carbohydrates.

MCFA have also been shown to assist the absorption and retention of calcium, magnesium and some amino acids as well supporting the healthy functioning of the thyroid.

Notwithstanding all the bodily functions that may be enhanced by the consumption of MCFAs the most outstanding finding of modern research has been the capacity of certain MCFA to enhance the human immune system and actively participate in the capacity of the human body to fight virus, bacteria and fungi.

The most important of these MCFAs that enhance and boost the bodies immune system are Caproic Acid, Caprylic Acid, Capric Acid and Lauric Acid and Myristic Acid

It is however the powerful capacity of Lauric acid to immobilise harmful invaders of our body, which has excited researchers the most. Although Dr Jon Kabara had already noted the antimicrobial activity of lauric acid in 1966, it has been only in the last 10 years that the potential of all MCFA in fighting bacterial and viral infections has been realised.

Furthermore, in addition to their capacity to inactivate pathogenic organisms, the use of MCFAs has shown no negative toxicological or pharmacological side effects.

If anything MCFA have shown to weaken viruses or bacteria that show antibiotic resistance to such an extent that these drugs can actually function against these organisms, while the use of MCFAs over time has not shown any build-up of resistance by microbial organisms to these fatty acids.

In practical terms, the consumption of MCFAs would not only boost the human immune system without fear of negative side effects, but also that they could be consumed to compliment the functions of general antibiotic treatments when their effectiveness is decreased by built up resistance found in bacteria.

MCFAs are effective mostly in their digested form or in the case of lauric acid: monolaurin.

The effectiveness of monolaurin is based on the small size of the particle and the similarity in substance to the lipid (fat) membranes coating harmful microorganisms.

Monolaurin is attracted to the virus and is then easily absorbed into its quasi fluid membrane weakening it to such a degree that it literally splits open, killing the organism and allowing the bodies own white blood cells to effectively clean and dispose of the remnants.

These research results have lead to the incorporation of especially Caprylic, Capric and Lauric Acid into many accepted anti-viral/anti-bacterial pharmaceutical treatments today.

The fact is that over 63% of coconut oil is made up of these three major fatty acids.

In addition the majority, around 48%, is Lauric acid, the fundamental building block of our bodies immune system and the most effective anti-pathogenic of all MCFAs.

At these concentrations it is only found in one other of natures products: Mothers Milk.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reminder. I will use some tomorrow!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the article. I love extra virgin coconut oil by Nutiva. I find others to taste bad.

I get the best deal at www.iherb.com.

I have no affiliation with this website other than as a customer.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazon.com is also another good source for Nutiva Coconut oil, but they are out of stock at the moment.
Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last summer, I was obsessed with drinking these green, raw coconuts (with the jelly) that they had at Whole Foods. I bought a jar of the oil & tried a spoonful last night. I really like the taste...

I used to buy the canned coconut juice but it just isn't as good. The fresh ones are a little expensive - so, I had to limit myself. The oil I bought was Spectrum or some brand in the oil section. It's "virgin" but not organic. It was about $8 for the jar.

Sometimes, when this happens - I think it must mean something.

Coconuts are pretty amazing plants - all around...

PS - BTW - that brand of oil (Spectrum) is organic. I noticed that the coconut oil in the vitamin section was more expensive than the coconut oil in the cooking section. I think it's the same stuff.

[ 25. April 2008, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: sparkle7 ]

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pingpong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ecological Formulas sells the product monolaurin.
Other companies may sell this also, but I thought of this one at the moment.

http://www.auricidin.com is a site often mentioned in the past.

The archives section of this site has lots of links and significant discussion on coconut oil.

Thanks for the reminder, Sparkle

--------------------
pingpong

Posts: 361 | From At the Pingpong Tournament | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I just found a book on it last night, I got the cheapest one from swanson jarrow, good stuff, and I woke today not having the common hit by a truck wake up we all know so well! I ALREADY feel better. Wow~~~

Best part, no patents, its CHEAP!!! Gods gift.
BTW, the people who eat this stuff daily in maleria infested areas dont seem to get maleria, or if they do, they never die. This is a study fact. So seems to have some data to show perhaps anti babs activity. Causal but at least its data.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Yes- sometimes it the simple things in life.

Coconuts are an amazing plant. So is bamboo for that matter...

steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do u think it's ok to add ot to a whey protrein drink or shoud i just drink it strait??

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, it will coagulate in the whey protein drink. It's solid at room temperature.

I eat a piece of Ezekiel bread with coconut oil and almond butter in the morning with my shake so that I have fat for Malarone.

I eat lots of coconut oil (and have for years). It's good used as butter .... half and half with butter on popcorn .... over veggies .... I put it on everything.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goof

Great Idea! I will have to try that...like today..can i buy Ezekiel bread at whole foods?

Thanks again [Smile]

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is wonderful! Something I can actually afford LOL and tastes good and is natural!

It's nice to get up this morning and have a good upbeat article like this to read!
Thanks!

Dawn

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Thanks, I just had a discussion with a friend who insists coconut oil is bad as it's solid at room temp.

the thought of medium chain fatty acids eluded me, so now I can say, there's another way to look at it.

I use a bit, with dried onion bits to cook my eggs. Yum. But so many people are the "egg police" today, so I don't share that with too many people.

"How good food got a bad rap" would be a great name for a book.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, yes, I get the bread at Whole Foods. [Smile]

Keebler, the way I explain it to people is that ALL the studies on how evil coconut oil is were done with hydrogenated oils. The pure, natural stuff is good for you.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keebler,

let me know when your cooking more eggs. i'll bring my knife and fork. Just getting hungry thinking about it.

One tidbit I found out about good coconut oil versus processed. Is to put a little bit in your hand if it melts in your hand it's a quality oil. And nutiva is! I'm not sure about the Jarrow one james uses. I got my swanson catalog today and the price is pretty appetizing at 7.49 a pound.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your body is much warmer than room temperature, and Coconut Oil is a liquid at body temperature. I think the friends argument about it being a bad oil does not hold water.

I eat three eggs and six pieces of bacon for a meal.
I also cook the eggs in the bacon fat. Toast and real butter also.

I feel much safer eating that than if I eat a bag of chips cooked in vegetable oil.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

D Bergy, I agree. All those saturated fat experiments were done not taking into account the difference between hydrogenated oils (trans-fat), which are not saturated naturally, and natural saturated fats.

I'm not saying we should all eat all the fat we can (unless on Mepron, LOL), but I am saying I think saturated fats are safe.

There are different qualities of coconut oil. I use the unrefined for spreading on toast, etc. I use the refined for cooking or as a body lotion.

--------------------

D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think these fats are safe in moderation also. I do not eat like that every day, but my body is familiar with animal fat, and knows how to deal with it.

Everything in moderation and keep your food natural and as unprocessed as possible. It is what your body was designed to eat.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Lstealthinfections.htm

Bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites can inhabit your body without causing acute disease. However, they can cause problems for you:

stealth infections may be controlled by your immune system until for some reason your immune system is weakened, then they can multiply uncontrollably;

even when their extent is limited by your immune system, ongoing stealth infections are producing waste products that burden your body;

stealth infections may damage your cells, tissues and organs resulting in long-term degenerative conditions, plus some of these damaged organs are critical to your fight with cancer;

stealth infections are a constant drain on your immune system resources. These are resources you need to fight cancer.

Reducing these infections by strengthening your immune system, iodine, hyperthermia, exercise, oxygen, meditation, electromedicine, glyconutrients and other means can help alkalize your body and reduce your risk of cancer.

Some of these infections can be treated successfully by your doctor, some cannot. Using an antibiotic to remove an infection does nothing to prevent future infections. An ongoing program of personal hygiene and health maintenance must include ways to prevent, control and remove infections.

Candida

Candida is a yeast or fungus that lives in everyone. When the immune system becomes weakened, a Candida outbreak can occur in the mouth, esophagus, digestive tract, skin, mucus membranes, vagina, urinary tract. It can enter the blood and spread throughout the body to include the kidneys, liver, bones, muscles, joints, spleen, or eyes causing a variety of diseases (including arthritis) depending on where it manifests. When it enters the bloodstream and spreads throughout the body, about 50% of these cases are fatal.

Fungus feeds on sugar and carbohydrates such as are found in grains. An anti-candida diet will minimize these foods. Sugar and grains are also the main dietary sources of mycotoxins.

Eating coconut oil daily is a good way to control fungal infections.

Iodine is effective against fungi. You can rub iodine on your skin each day and the body will absorb what it needs. Or you can consume potassium iodide. Both forms of iodine are used by the body.

DMG (Dimethylglycine) is an inexpensive nutritional supplement that strengthens the body in a wide variety of ways, including improving the immune system. DMG has anti-fungal properties.

Epstein Barr Virus

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) is found in about 95% of the population. There is no drug treatment for EBV. In teenagers, EBV causes infectious mononucleosis. In adults, EBV is associated with chronic fatigue syndrome and certain cancers (Burkitt's lymphoma and nasopharyngeal carcinoma).

Fifty percent of breast cancers studied contained evidence of infection with the Epstein-Barr virus. The virus was not found in the surrounding normal breast tissue.
- Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 1999, Vol 91, Iss 16, pp 1376-1381

Lipid-coated microorganisms such as Epstein Barr virus are killed by medium chain fatty acids produced by the digestion of coconut oil. - Bruce Fife, N.D. page 68

A study of athletes experiencing fatigue and declining performance due to Epstein Barr Virus demonstrated that consuming a probiotic supplement (Lactobacillus acidophilus) daily for a month cleared up the problem. - Brit J Sports Med 06;40(4):351-354.

We recommend oxygen, sunlight, iodine, DMG and a strong immune system to control viral infections.

Chlamydia Pneumoniae

50% of the population shows evidence of having had Chlamydia pneumoniae infection by age 20. It safe to say that nearly every adult has had this bacteria in their body. Symptoms of Chlamydia pneumoniae infection include a cough. The common respiratory bacteria Chlamydia pneumoniae may play a key role in coronary artery disease, the leading cause of death. Chlamydia pneumoniae may also play a role in Alzheimer's disease, asthma, and arthritis. From your lungs, this bacteria has easy access to your bloodstream and the rest of your body.

Lipid-coated microorganisms such as Chlamydia pneumoniae are killed by medium chain fatty acids produced by the digestion of coconut oil. - Bruce Fife, N.D. page 68

Helicobacter Pylori

Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a cork screw shaped bacteria that according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) inhabits about two thirds of the world's population. H. pylori can damage the stomach lining leading to ulcers, and may also be involved in heart disease, autoimmune diseases, skin diseases and several cancers (stomach, pancreas and larynx).

Regular consumption of probiotic bacteria (yoghurt, etc.) offers a natural means to help control Helicobacter pylori. - Journal of Applied Microbiology Volume 93 Issue 6 Page 1083 - December 2002

H. pylori is also killed by the amino acid glycine. - Antimicrob Agents Chemother 04;48(10):3782-8. You will find glycine in whey protein powder.

H. pylori is also killed by a chemical in broccoli sprouts, which also have an anti-cancer effect. - Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences May 28, 2002.

Lipid-coated microorganisms such as H. pylori are killed by medium chain fatty acids produced by the digestion of coconut oil. - Bruce Fife, N.D. page 68.

DMG is useful in controlling ulcers.

A healthy digestive tract is called by some doctors your "second immune system".

Human Papilloma Virus

Human papilloma virus (genital warts) affects the sexually active population. About 80% of women are infected with HPV by age 50. Modern medicine offers no cure. HPV is associated with anal, bladder and genital cancers in both men and women. Chlamydia trachomatis, human papilloma virus, and genital herpes all contribute to cervical cancer.

Chlamydia Trachomatis

Chlamydia trachomatis bacteria is reported to infect about a million Americans annually, but the total number is unknown because most have mild or no symptoms. Untreated Chlamydia can cause problems including arthritis, pelvic inflammatory disease, and sterility. Chlamydia, human papilloma virus, and genital herpes all contribute to cervical cancer.

Genital Herpes

Genital herpes virus affects one in four women and one in five men. There is no drug cure. Chlamydia, human papilloma virus, and genital herpes all contribute to cervical cancer.

Lipid-coated microorganisms such as Herpes simplex virus are killed by medium chain fatty acids produced by the digestion of coconut oil. - Bruce Fife, N.D. page 68

Tuberculosis (TB)

The CDC estimates that about 1/3 of the population of the planet have the TB bacteria in their body. The disease develops when the immune system cannot keep the tubercle bacilli under control.

See our section on healthy lungs.

Syphilus

Syphilus is a sexually transmitted disease caused by the cork screw shaped bacterium Treponema pallidum. The incidence of syphilus is increasing at about 12% per annum. However, syphilus in women is declining. All of the increase in syphilus is in the male homosexual community. In its early stages, syphilus is easily cured with antibiotics. Long term syphilus infection has been called ``the great imitator'' because so many of the signs and symptoms are indistinguishable from those of other diseases.

Hyperthermia is a traditional treatment for syphilus. Iodine in amounts greater than one gram daily.

Lyme Disease

Lyme disease is caused by a cork screw shaped spirochetes bacteria very similar to syphilus. The bacteria is spiral shaped and by rotating it can self-propel itself through your tissues, tendons, muscles, heart and brain.

It used to be thought that Lyme disease was caused only by being bitten by a tick. However, it is now believed that the bacteria can be spread by other insects including fleas, mosquitoes and mites, as well as directly between humans via blood, urine, tears, semen, breast milk, cord blood, and vaginal secretions.

"More than 50% of chronically ill people may have Lyme contributing to their condition." - Dr. Cowden

Lyme disease may be present in the body with no symptoms until a trauma weakens the immune system. Then Lyme disease can present symptoms that mimic over 350 other diseases. People diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, Alzheimer's, chronic fatigue syndrome and other degenerative diseases could have Lyme Disease. Lyme disease is the new "great imitator".

Doctors familiar with Lyme disease estimate that as many as 20 million Americans may be infected and that the rate of new infections is very high. Lyme disease is very difficult to treat. Doctors sometimes put patients on antibiotics for many years.

Oxygen is gaining popularity as a treatment for Lyme disease. Lyme bacteria is NOT anaerobic. It is called "microaerophyllic" which means that it requires a small amount of oxygen. However, it can be killed by large amounts of oxygen.

Hyperbaric oxygen chambers are expensive, especially if you need to use them repeatedly. Plus, there may be places in the body where the oxygen does not penetrate to the degree necessary to kill the bacteria. Therefore, we would suggest that oxygen is an important part of a program to treat Lyme disease and that other treatments are also required. Plus, we would suggest that EWOT is a more economical form of oxygen therapy that can be done at home.

One herb that has been found to be effective is Uncaria tomentosa (Cats Claw). This herb is also sometimes used to treat cancer.

More information on Lyme disease:

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/25/lyme_disease.htm
http://www.healthynewage.com/herbal-health-newsletter2.htm
http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C351537.html
http://www.pacificsites.com/~dglaser/lyme/

For all infections, we suggest consulting with your doctor, plus a comprehensive program of health promotion using the home therapies promoted on this web site. Sunlight is a natural disinfectant and everyone should expose their skin to a moderate amount of sunlight regularly. Oxygen is a natural disinfectant and Exercise with Oxygen Therapy (EWOT) is a powerful and economical treatment that can be done at home. Hyperthermia helps to purify the body and should be enjoyed regularly by everyone. A strong immune system is maintained by a healthy diet including freshly made fruit & vegetable juices, glyconutrients plus regular exercise, and meditation. Electromedicine provides an economical way to attack stubborn infections. Iodine is effective against bacteria, viruses and fungi. Everyone should consume a little iodine each day, either by rubbing tincture of iodine on the skin or consuming potassium iodide. DMG strengthens the immune system in a variety of ways. All of these can be an important part of your healthy lifestyle, preventing disease as well as treating it.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement