LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The truth about garlic - ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The truth about garlic - ?
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that there are alot of really beneficial qualities to garlic.

One year I remember eating alot of raw garlic on tomato salads & I had horrible seasonal allergy symptoms - which I never have. I read something back them that stated that garlic can cause allergy symptoms - so I stopped.

I want to use garlic but I'm afraid that his may happen again.

I also found this article about how some people can have allergies to garlic -

http://jelleym.tripod.com/garlic/garlic.html

Maybe I can avoid the bad effects of garlic by using freeze dried garlic?

What do you think?

-----

I also just found this:

http://www.karinya.com/garlic.htm

GARLIC - TOXIC SHOCK! Reprinted from Nexus Feb/Mar 2001

PLEASE READ NOTICE

The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion penetrates the blood-brain barrier, just like DMSO, and is a specific poison for higher-life forms and brain cells. We discovered this, much to our horror, when I (Bob Beck, DSc) was the world's largest manufacturer of ethical EEG feedback equipment.

We'd have people come back from lunch that looked clinically dead on an encephalograph, which we used to calibrate their progress. "Well, what happened?" "Well, I went to an Italian restaurant and there was some garlic in my salad dressing!" So we had them sign things that they wouldn't touch garlic before classes or we were wasting their time, their money and my time.

I guess some of you who are pilots or have been in flight tests...I was in flight test engineering in Doc Hallan's group in the 1950's. The flight surgeon would come around every month and remind all of us: "Don't you dare touch any garlic 72 hours before you fly one of our airplanes, because it'll double or triple your reaction time. You're three times slower than you would be if you'd not had a few drops of garlic."

Well, we didn't know why for 20 years later, until I owned the Alpha-Metrics Corporation. We were building biofeed-back equipment and found out that garlic usually desynchronises your brain waves.

So I funded a study at Stanford and, sure enough, they found that it's a poison. You can rub a clove of garlic on your foot - a you can smell it shortly later on your wrists. So it penetrates the body. This is why DMSO smells a lot like garlic: that sulphone hydroxyl ion penetrates all the barriers including the corpus callosum in the brain.

Any of you who are organic gardeners know that if you don't want to use DDT, garlic will kill anything in the way of insects.

Now, most people have heard most of their lives garlic is good for you, and we put those people in the same class of ignorance as the mothers who at the turn of the century would buy morphine sulphate in the drugstore and give it to their babies to put'em to sleep.

If you have any patients who have low-grade headaches or attention deficit disorder, they can't quite focus on the computer in the after-noon, just do an experiment - you owe it to yourselves. Take these people off garlic and see how much better they get, very very shortly. And then let them eat a little garlic after about three weeks. They'll say "My God, I had no idea that this was the cause of our problems." And this includes the de-skunked garlic's, Kyolic, some of the other products.

Very unpopular, but I've got to tell you the truth.

Source: From a lecture by Dr. Robert C Beck, DSc, given at the Whole Life Expo, Seattle, WA, USA, in March 1996, Nexus Magazine.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm one of those people with allergic or negative reaction to garlic, which is dissapointing because I am searching for further alternative routes to healing.

I still eat it crushed and cooked in food with olive oil, but always have a reaction that is not pleasant.

I don't know if it would be any different taking the freeze dried version though.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you cook without garlic???

And what would be the point? [Wink]

~*~

Interesting article though, I have to admit. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't seem to have any issues with it. Of course I would agree that for anyone who has sensitivities to it that they should refrain from it.

But as for me, you can get my garlic when you pry it from my cold dead perpetually garlic-stinky fingers. [Big Grin]

Posts: 237 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pingpong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to consider aged garlic to see if you get the same effec. while I don't know much about, and have not experience with it, aged garlic, Blurbs in the media lit. say either its the form to be taken,or that its superior to non-aged garlic..

--------------------
pingpong

Posts: 361 | From At the Pingpong Tournament | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they mean all forms of garlic, pingpong.

FYI -

Who is Dr. Robert (Bob) Beck, D.Sc.?

In 1992, Dr. Beck was a highly respected research physicist-recently retired from his work with government contracts that were often classified, from his own business interests and from his work as a university lecturer.

He was known for his leading-edge designs in measuring subtle magnetic fields and extremely low frequency fields.

His last research project in the early 1980's that focussed on the brain and altered states of consciousness resulted in the design of the Brain Tuner.

This won him an award from the John Fitzer Foundation.

That all changed when he read about a research project at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York city.

In March, 1991 Science News magazine gave a brief report that "Zapping the AIDS virus with low-voltage electric current can nearly eliminate its ability to infect human white blood cells cultured in the laboratory ..."

Doctors William Lyman and Steven Kaali also presented their research at a symposium.

This research piqued Bob Beck's interest but he found only closed doors when he tried to get further information-the paper they presented had been deleted from the symposium report.

In 1993, after a patent was filed (US Patent #5,188,738) showing how microcurrents would neutralize pathogens such as viruses and bacteria, he was finally able to get the details.

The patent was based on using a medical procedure to remove blood from the body in order to treat it with microcurrents of electricity.

He later found this research was a rediscovery as many patents had been filed over the years showing the efficacy of electricity for health.

-----

Maybe this is why some religions avoid garlic & onions. This is a pretty serious claim:

"Well, we didn't know why for 20 years later, until I owned the Alpha-Metrics Corporation. We were building biofeed-back equipment and found out that garlic usually desynchronises your brain waves."

He also says that garlic is a natural insecticide - so, maybe it is good for getting rid of the "bugs"... The spirochetes are actually bacteria, though.

It's a hard decision to take massive amounts of garlic or avoid it completely. I really don't know...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is some more from my "garlic library":

* QAI certified raw organic garlic, Advanced Sublimation Technology. 26,800 ppm alliin content (industry standard for high potency is 10,000 ppm).
* Historical data:
* First recorded 5000 BC - Sumerians of Mesopotamia.
* Hippocrates 400 BC - infections, digestive problems and cancer.
* Dioscorides 100 BC - infections, clearing arteries and Leprosy.
* Louis Pasteur 1858 - scientific proof that garlic kills germs.
* Known in WWII as the "Russian Penicillin".

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

More on Metals, Garlic and Bugs

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042044#000000

An old post of mine.

Take good care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

More on Metals, Garlic and Bugs

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042044#000000

An old post of mine.

Take good care.

bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure love garlic, as food and as medicine. But I do know two people who are terribly allergic to it. Thanks for posting.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm allergic to garlic. It shows up on every test for allergies that I've had over the past 10 years. Perhaps it is the sulphur for some people?

I don't recall having a reaction to it but that could be because I have allergies to just about everything I eat and if I don't have an allergy now, I will develop one if I eat very much of one thing. Leaky gut. [Frown]

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well he's a funny story, before starting abx, I could not for the life of me eat anything with garlic in it. It ALWAYS made me feel hungover and gave me horrible sore stomachs.

Since being on abx and now being off the abx, I crave garlic and cook with it all the time and have ZERO negative effects from it

Figure that one out ;-)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't buy it! I eat garlic like it is going out of style.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Food sensitivities can develop at any time and most likely will develop if you eat the food daily.

This worries me as I take garlic daily and feel it is beneficial. I like to drink a fresh vegetable juice daily consisting of carrots, celery, parsley, garlic and ginger. I worry about developing a sensitivity to this healthy drink and therefore have started just drinking it on the weekends.

Rotating food so you eat it just one day every four days is recommended as a way to avoid developing food allergies.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Some people do have allergies to specific foods. I once knew someone who could die if they ate a walnut.

Garlic has some great qualities but some people may be sensitive to it. Just like anything else - including abx.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement