LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How I ate 35 cloves of raw garlic!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How I ate 35 cloves of raw garlic!
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have discovered you can eat this amount easily if you eat it with lemon.

The lemon gets rid of the odour and taste problem!!!

In a mixer I put raw garlic into my olive oil/lemon mix.

Olive oil, 1 lemon, water, raw garlic then liquidize including the rind of the lemon. Best organic.

I feel a little spaced out but plan to continue this as we all know Garlic is a wonder food but maybe we arent just eating enough?

Below someone on 42 cloves a day.

Any thoughts?

Sunny greetings,
Wallace

CTcyclist writes, Mar 18, 2008: (36 posts)

So i was thinking of incorporating more garlic into my daily food regimen. Does anybody know if the garlic smell will stay with me the next day if I eat a lot with the last meal of my day?
Cimg4345-normal_thumb

jenny writes, Mar 18, 2008: (215 posts)

I think probably yes. But it depends how you metabolize it and how sensitive you are to the smell. If I eat even a small amount of garlic, it drives me absolutely crazy. I can taste it and smell it on my skin for days, and I can't stand it. So I eat it rarely. But I love the taste, so I do make exceptions once in a while!

The best thing to do would be to start slowly and see if there is a threshold beyond which it really bothers you, or whether there is an amount that works for you.
Face2_thumb

SunshineKaty writes, Mar 18, 2008: (19 posts)

Hmmmm i don't think it smells as much as cooked garlic - especcially the stuff from garlic bread, however I have been told by my boyf that I sometimes smell of garlic - can't have been too bad though because he still kisses me! lol!! I've also never had any comments from co-workers after eating raw garlic....
Face2_thumb

SunshineKaty writes, Mar 18, 2008: (19 posts)

Also each to their own but I don't think the aftertaste is as strong as cooked garlic.
Me_thumb

ardesmond2 writes, Mar 18, 2008: (503 posts)

CTcyclist you can reduce the smell of garlic and bitterness if you take the germ out of the center of your garlic before you use it. At least that is what the French say....''Bonjour'' lol
Cimg2501_2__thumb

shgadwa writes, Mar 18, 2008: (466 posts)

Dr. Schulze told a story about an old lady who had a virus infection and according to the Doctors, she was going to die. She eat 47 large cloves of garlic a day because she heard it was good for her and wanted to live. She beat it out. That is a story you can tell to anyone complaining about the smell and taste of medicinal garlic. Also, it is a good idea to start your kids on it as soon as they are old enough to eat something. They will start to like the taste and eat it every day. I have heard that if you eat it regularly, you don't smell as much as if you eat it every now and then. But, I do not know if that is true or not. Also, brushing your teeth real good after eating garlic helps a little. It is also said to eat some parsley after eating garlic and it refreshes your breath.
432-toptenpigs_thumb

CTcyclist writes, Mar 18, 2008: (36 posts)

Well, I wasn't concerned about my breath smelling, I was more concerned about the things I've heard about the smell escaping from your pores when you sweat.
Cimg2501_2__thumb

shgadwa writes, Mar 18, 2008: (466 posts)

Well, I really do not know. I think it will stay with you but it depends on how strong the garlic is. At any rate, you need garlic. It is good for you. And sweating is also good for you.
Dscn0022_thumb

Carmentina writes, Mar 19, 2008: (523 posts)

Whenever I eat garlic I smell for days and my hubby goes nuts....!
Big_crazy_beccal_eyes-normal_thumb

Lady Le Harle writes, Mar 19, 2008: (20 posts)

I used to smell from eating raw garlic but not anymore. I think the active properties literally go to where cleansing is needed ie the armpits (lymph nodes where toxins are either held or excreted via sweating) your skin is the largest organ in your body so for the garlic to be goin there is great!!! I had a situation a couple of years ago where I ate heaps of raw garlic to get rid of a flu virus - the skin around my breasts smelt strongly of garlic for about 2 weeks afterwards!!! My boyfriend wasnt to pleased:-) Now I dont have this, even though I eat 2 sometimes 3 cloves a day - but what interests me is that I must have had something going on in the boobie department. I have had a deep toxin clean out since going raw and so the only thing I get now is minor superficial garlic taste in m

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This mentions eating 12 cloves daily.

wallace

Garlic has long been touted as a health booster, but it's never been clear why the herb might be good for you. Now new research is beginning to unlock the secrets of the odoriferous bulb.

In a study published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers show that eating garlic appears to boost our natural supply of hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen sulfide is actually poisonous at high concentrations -- it's the same noxious byproduct of oil refining that smells like rotten eggs. But the body makes its own supply of the stuff, which acts as an antioxidant and transmits cellular signals that relax blood vessels and increase blood flow.

In the latest study, performed at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, researchers extracted juice from supermarket garlic and added small amounts to human red blood cells. The cells immediately began emitting hydrogen sulfide, the scientists found.

The power to boost hydrogen sulfide production may help explain why a garlic-rich diet appears to protect against various cancers, including breast, prostate and colon cancer, say the study authors. Higher hydrogen sulfide might also protect the heart, according to other experts. Although garlic has not consistently been shown to lower cholesterol levels, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine earlier this year found that injecting hydrogen sulfide into mice almost completely prevented the damage to heart muscle caused by a heart attack.

``People have known garlic was important and has health benefits for centuries,'' said Dr. David W. Kraus, associate professor of environmental science and biology at the University of Alabama. ``Even the Greeks would feed garlic to their athletes before they competed in the Olympic games.''

Now, the downside. The concentration of garlic extract used in the latest study was equivalent to an adult eating about two medium-sized cloves per day. In such countries as Italy, Korea and China, where a garlic-rich diet seems to be protective against disease, per capita consumption is as high as eight to 12 cloves per day.

While that may sound like a lot of garlic, Dr. Kraus noted that increasing your consumption to five or more cloves a day isn't hard if you use it every time you cook. Dr. Kraus also makes a habit of snacking on garlicky dishes like hummus with vegetables.

Many home chefs mistakenly cook garlic immediately after crushing or chopping it, added Dr. Kraus. To maximize the health benefits, you should crush the garlic at room temperature and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. That triggers an enzyme reaction that boosts the healthy compounds in garlic.

Garlic can cause indigestion, but for many, the bigger concern is that it can make your breath and sweat smell like...garlic. While individual reactions to garlic vary, eating fennel seeds like those served at Indian restaurants helps to neutralize the smell. Garlic-powder pills claim to solve the problem, but the data on these supplements has been mixed. It's still not clear if the beneficial compounds found in garlic remain potent once it's been processed into a pill.

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I am a huge fan of garlic and medicines from food. Garlic is the number one gift in that regard. However, it can be caustic.

This much raw garlic at one time can cause a stomach to bleed.

Some people might be able to get away with it, but a caution here.

Other than bleeding/burning, more than 2 cloves a day can result in anemia.

More in not necessary better.

For concentrated, medicinal amounts, enteric coated capsules of organic raw garlic might be considered.

For those listed who ate upwards of 12 cloves a day, they worked up to this, it was mixed in food and had become part of their lifestyle. Perhaps other foods they ate also served to protect from the burning nature of it. That would be interested to look into further.

I'm not saying stay away from it or that it's not a super food, but to be careful. Not everyone has a stomach for this.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's better/easier to take organic freeze-dried garlic in the capsules after you've eaten a meal.

I too believe tremendously in what garlic can do for us.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

I believe we need to raise our body temperature hence this a major reason why just a couple of cloves is not going to have any effect. We need a lot of garlic to raise slowly our body temperature.

I hope nonone is going to say Garlic is dangerous for your health! It is completely non toxic if you get good quality garlic.

From article below:

Toxicity

You would have to eat ten to twenty grams per kilo weight which means you would have to eat a trunk load of garlic to have any toxic effect.

Dr Mercola says garlic supplements dont work we need raw garlic

As I say mixed in the lemon/olive oil drink.

Wallace

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

From Dr Mercola

RAW Garlic For Parasites and Viral Infections

The following article is abstracted from the European producers of a freeze-dried garlic preparation that is used for the animal industry. It is a translation from German so the grammar is not terrific in some areas. The article explains why nearly every commercial garlic preparation that you purchase is virtually worthless. If you are going to use garlic you need to use fresh RAW garlic. -- Dr. Mercola

When we talk about allicin there is a group of compounds that are formed when you crush the garlic clove which are called the thiosulphanates. Of the thiosulphanates, allicin is the dominant one. About 70 to 80% of the thiosulphates is allicin.

We tend to talk about allicin as the antimicrobial agent but there is other thiosulphates in there that are also antimicrobials, but much less work is being done on them. And this is why we use the whole clove rather than trying to synthesize things like allicin.

Enteroguard

The developers call it a new antimicrobials complex for the feed industry. They developed Enteroguard from two active natural ingredients to replace the use of antibiotics at low levels that are incorporated in animal feed. Feed like pig feed, poultry fee, milk replacement for calves, because we've known for a long time and it is been recognized that having these antibiotics in feed at low levels is causing resistance problems in the human population.

So it is this cross resistance in there.

Antibiotics like Virginiamycin, Tylosiin, Spiramycin have been used at low levels in the feed as growth promoters simply in there to promote growth of the animal. But these growth promoters belong to a family of antibiotics of which there is a human equivalent. So Virginiamycin is a Streptogramin in the antibiotics category. An example of this on the human side is synercid.

So the possibility then or the potential then is the cross resistance into the human population where you build up a reservoir of organisms that then have resistance.

So in Europe in January of 1999, these six growth promoters were banned across the whole of the EEC. They could not be used as growth promoters. They allowed them four months into which to work out their stocks, then that was it.

There are still left two, that they are trying to get rid of but the main grouping is gone. At that stage people became interested in our equivalent to see if it would work in this big feed industry where they produce one half to one million tons of feed at a time. And looking for that growth enhancement of the animals as well as some disease protection in there. That is where we came in.

Enteroguard is a combination of two potent plant derived antimicrobials.

And what I would like to do is to take you through individually the two active ingredients in there in terms of why we selected them and what are known about them. The first one is allicin from garlic and I'll come on to that one in a minute, but the second one is also a natural and it's cinnamaldehyde from the oil of cinnamon.

The researchers first came across allicin about 10 years ago. They screened over 200 natural plant substances for antimicrobials activity. They determined allicin from garlic to be a potent sulfur containing antimicrobial. Its chemical name is thiosulphonate. Its only found in small concentrations in a group of food plants called the Allium group which contains onions as well as garlic. But the largest concentration of alliin is actually found in garlic which is why they selected garlic as the source of allicin.

This is the structure of allicin or diallyl thiosulphonate. In some ways it almost resembles an antibiotic- two cysteine derived molecules on the ends, but it is this S-S double bond which is the very potent part of the molecule that gives it its very strong antimicrobials activity.

Why Do They Actually Freeze Dry The Garlic?

This comes down to the fact that if you take a garlic clove and you peel it very carefully and you smell it. There is very little smell. But as soon as you crush it...boom! You get an instantaneous smell. This is a clean smell, that is allicin that is produced.

And the reason is that in garlic itself you don't find allicin but what you do find is a precursor molecule called alliin. And alliin is found within the garlic clove within the mesophyl cells and also in the garlic clove you then find around the phloem in the cells around the vascular bundle you find an enzyme called alliinase.

And these two are physically separated within the cell. When you crush it these two come into contact and immediately the combination of the two produce allicin, and the other thiosulphonates.

Thiosulphonates As A Group Are Antimicrobials

Allicin constitutes between 70 to 80% of those thiosulphonates because they providethe total antimicrobial activity. One interesting thing is that the amount of enzyme is almost the same as the amount of alliin. This is very unusual because enzyme systems usually require very little enzyme to make a conversion. But in garlic it is absolutely stocked with the enzyme.

So the same amount of enzyme there is, is equivalent to is alliin; which is one of the reasons you get that instantaneous conversion. And the conversion of all the alliin to allicin in the garlic occur within 20 seconds. When you crush it.

As far as the plant is concerned, the plant uses this as an antimicrobials because you can imagine the garlic clove which becomes the seed of the plant. If it is invaded by bacteria or a single cell pathogen will start to break down the cells. So when the cells start to break down you get alliin and alliinase coming together locally with a little puff of allicin and boom you knock out the protozoa or bacteria or yeast.

The developers import garlic from China as the soil is very rich in sulfur there, which contributes to increase activity. The product has been analyzed at the University of Bonn in Germany which found one of the highest garlic concentrate in tems of alliin content.

Imported Frozen Garlic From China

They make sure it raised in an area and a way that gives it the highest alliin content, but they then hand peel the garlic so in the fields there are 700 women sitting at tables gently peeling the cloves by hand. Now you could get a machine to do this but it would cause too much allicin to be released through cell damage which causes the alliin to react with the alliinase.

Then allicin over a period of days will actually start to break down. So after it is hand peeled they blast freeze it. It is frozen very quickly. It goes into these big stores where they pump cold air into it at -30 degrees and they are frozen solid. It is then imported from China to a factory in UK as frozen garlic cloves.

It is shipped in 12-ton containers where they keep it frozen all the way through. They then take those frozen cloves and put them through a machine that chops them three or four times, some of the small cloves are not chopped at all. This chopping just helps in moisture removal. Then this garlic then goes into a freeze-drying facility.

It is put into trays and put straight into the freeze dryer. And the freeze dryer removes all that moisture in a virtual vacuum. So in a vacuum at -30 degrees C the moisture doesn't actually turn into a liquid. It goes straight off as moisture to gas. It is rather like frozen CO2. When that is warmed it doesn't go a liquid phase it comes immediately into a gas phase.

They use this process as a gentle method of removing water. Now with the moisture removed, the alliin and the alliinase are separated and totally inactive because they can only react in the presence of moisture. So they can then take the dried clove out of the freeze dryer and mill them into a powder.

If the garlic were milled while the moisture content was still high in the garlic then they would react to produce allicin and the allicin would disappear in a few days. This is the problem with all the garlic products that are on the market. There is no allicin left.

For when they milled their product there was moisture in it. When Enteroguard is taken in by the animal or the human as it is rehydrated as it makes its way down the digestive track is becomes active the alliin reacts with the alliinnase and allicin is produced just where you want it in the gut.

The allicin appears to be effective against

* E. coli.
* Staphylococcus aureus
* Clostridium perfringens
* Salmonella spp.

However the lactic organisms and the enterococci are virtually unaffected by garlic. Why is this good? Because this group contains the beneficial bacteria in the gut. So here you have an organism that is anti yeast and anti fungi, anti gram negative and gram positive bacteria, and yet against a group of very beneficial organism it doesn't have any activity.

Not only does garlic kill pathogenic bacteria but it also kills rotavirus infection which is responsible for many cases of diarrhea. At concentrations of 20 parts per million garlic totally protects these mammalian cells from being invaded pathogenic viruses.

It has also been helpful in protoza infections like Cryptosporidium parvum. It was first discovered in the USA in 1971 in the following 22 years in has become absolutely endemic on the dairy farms; 90% of all dairy farms are infected by Crypto. And as soon as you get 100+ dairy cows on a unit all of them are infected.

Every in these cow/calve operations where the calves are raised with their mothers out in the fields, 40% of them are infected because the heifers before they are weaned they shed these oocysts through their saliva into the pastures and these little oocyst just stay around and the next generation gets them.

It is the single major cause of contaminating the human water supply.

The Enteroguard is now sold to vets in the USA for Rotavirus and Crypto.

During the First World War, garlic was the major battle field wound dressing. They made a paste of it and rapped wounds with it. So when the antibiotics were developed all the publications on garlic stopped.

Allicin is active interracially in the gut and once absorbed it is quickly converted into diallyl suphides in the liver. Diallyl sulphides have low antimicrobials activity and these are then expressed through the urine, through the breath and through the skin. The diallyl sulphides is the smell you get when you cook garlic or when you eat lots of garlic.

But the allicin is the clean smell you get when you crush it which is a different smell than the diallyl sulphides which is stronger in smell and what you get when you cook it. Allicin is a cascade molecule and as it breaks down there have been 150 different breakdown molecules from a molecule of allicin. So you get allicin slowly degrading into other molecules which themselves react with each other to form molecules which may be very active against protozoa like giardia and trichomonous.

Garlic also appears to be very active against Helicobacter pylori.

Toxicity

You would have to eat ten to twenty grams per kilo weight which means you would have to eat a trunk load of garlic to have any toxic effect.

Mode Of Action

How does it kill bacteria cells? This is what is called the macroeffect. What we know is that allicin disrupts the cell membrane biosynthesis. It inhibits DNA polymerases and inhibits RNA synthesis. So it is disrupting the whole enzyme system that is responsible for cell replication.

Allicin also destroys the SH groups in proteins. These sulfur containing groups are found in thiol enzymes which are a large part of the physiology of lower organisms- bacteria, virus, and protozoa. Antibiotics tend to target a single metabolic pathway in an organism and take apart this pathway. Now as far as the bacteria is concerned a single gene mutation with just the random mutations that go on all the time, can often find an alternative way from getting from A to B. When an antibiotic destroys that ability from getting from A to B the cell is killed.

So when this cell has a successful mutation then resistance is accomplished. When you take something like an allicin which is affecting groups which are found in many enzymes in the lower organisms, they are being destroyed.

But these enzymes are building proteins that go into the cell membrane, or proteins are part of other enzyme systems that are then used in the DNA polymerase and the RNA polymerase synthesis system. And they are the building blocks of all sorts of proteins. Now it is impossible for the bacteria to spontaneously find its way around all these different enzyme systems and to find alternative ways of doing it. So they can't get resistance with natural compounds like allicin.

Resistance to the allicin in garlic can't be induced. When you think about it, is makes sense for as far as a plant is concerned it just needs a simple mechanism which will kill microorganisms without allowing them to develop resistance for if they develop resistance them the plant will be destroyed. It would no longer be around after 10,000 years. Garlic is around so there are no resistant pathogens that have developed that are resistant to allicin.

Why Doesn't The Garlic Harm Mammalian Cells

If you take a mammalian cell, we don't use S-H compounds extensively used. Additionally S-H group can be protected. Glutathione is known to protect groups. You can demonstrate this in a test tube. You can take a sulfur containing enzyme. This mechanism of protection is the same for the lactic acid organisms. So they have developed the same protective mechanisms. If this was not so then in the garlic eating nations they would have eradicated their lactic acid bacteria long ago, which is certainly not the case.

So in summary with Allicin you have a broad spectrum of activity against bacteria, virus, and protozoa.

No resistance can be built up so it is an absolutely safe product to use.

It has no effect on mammalian cells, and no effect on the lactic acid bacteria.

Dare to Check Your Skin Lotion Ingredient Label?

Your skin is your largest organ -- and the most visible! Here's what you should know about supporting radiantly healthy and beautiful skin all year long - no matter what your skin type.
Find Out More

Dr. Mercola Dr. Mercola's Comments:

Garlic is one food that you should be eating every day. Dr. Klinghardt and I are very impressed with its ability to optimize bowel flora and kill pathogenic organisms.

It is important to note that the garlic MUST be fresh. The active ingredient is destroyed within one hour of smashing the garlic. Garlic pills are virtually worthless and should not be used. When you use the garlic it will be important to compress the garlic with a spoon prior to swallowing it if you are not going to juice it. If you swallow the clove intact you will not convert the allicin to its active ingredient.

One problem, of course, is the smell, but generally a few cloves a day are tolerated by most people. If one develops a socially offensive odor then all you do is slightly decrease the volume of garlic until there is no odor present.

Related Articles:

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

1. I agree with mercola and am sceptical about the worth of garlic supplements.

2. If you are making progress with a clove of raw garlic daily fine but if not I would suggest you need to increase your raw garlic intake until you feel some benefit. The optimal amount would depend on the individual.

On day 2 feel that it was working on the cardiovascular level and then later on it seemed to give me a mild brain herx. Powerfull stuff. I intend to continue my experiment.

Wallace

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

there are 200 different varieties of garlic. Trying rose garlic at the moment.

Wallace

kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't able to read all that was posted here.

But, found it interesting there are so many different kinds of garlic.

Let us know which ones are easier to get down.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic allergies are not uncommon. Eating excessive amounts like that is likely to do damage rather than improve health.

Too much of a good thing usually becomes a bad thing (s), at least in terms of the consequences. Garlic can be hard on the liver (allicin), as it needs to be detoxified and can do damage in large amounts. It can cause G.I. inflammation, irritability, nausea, and loose bowel movements. Large amounts of garlic also thin the blood excessively, as well as cause anemia as well as excessive bleeding should ulcers, or other injuries occur to the exterior or interior of the body. It also interacts with a number of medications, including Warfarin, calcium channel blockers, and others.

5-10 drops of juiced pure garlic per day can produce immense Herxheimer reactions in a Lyme Disease patient, it is unreasonable to use more than perhaps 2-4 cloves or 30grams.

The point to all this? There are a lot of health benefits to garlic, there are also a lot of dangers. While far less than most medications we take on a daily basis, they still exist and so excessive amounts is unwarranted when benefits have been significant with small doses.

If you want a strong antimicrobial effect, juice Garlic, place it in a dropper. Only make enough for one day, and only use 1-30 drops at most spread out through the day. Keep it refrigerated and sealed tightly, the Herxheimer reaction, if done everyday, will be quite serious and will help you fight your illness as well as most antibiotics.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must we juice? Can we just mince and then crush - let it sit for 15 minutes and eat?

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to juice garlic -2 big bunches -

when I drank it my stomach would Boil -

People stayed away from me because I
stunk so bad -I could not stand the smell ether -
-jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're asking me that question, then sure, yes you can eat it, mince it or do whatever you like, as long as it's raw -- to get the health benefits. Juicing it and then consuming the drops, or placing the drops in a capsule and consuming it is just a way to get it to absorb faster into the body

When I say juicing, I want to make sure that people realize I'm not talking about it in the same context as juicing fruits or vegetables. You're not making a "cup" of Garlic Juice.

1 gram (1,000mg) of juice alone is therapeutic for antibiotic properties taken 2 or 3 times per day, and that's the equivalent of taking two or three capsules of an antibiotic like Tetracycline. We're talking about a very small amount. 35 cloves of Garlic for example, would make 15 to 20 times this amount! That's like taking a weeks worth of Doxycycline in one single dose!

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

How much raw garlic is an interesting Q. In my view one should aim to induce a mild herx rather than a severe one.

Last night I had a severe brain herx from garlic, I was using rose garlic which I find is stronger than some of the other 200 types.

Posting the exact number of cloves is rather meaningless depending as it does on the individual and on what type of garlic you are using. Its the effect thats the thing.

Do others here herx from garlic?

Wallace

Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was sick yet still undiagnosed I did herx from garlic tabs and capsules so I had to stop taking it because I did not know why it was giving me flu like symptoms at the time.

Since treating babs I no longer herx from garlic.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

buhner seems sceptical about garlic.

wallace

Dear Stephen,
Do you think garlic is an exceptional plant to add for someone with Lyme? You don't say anything about it in your book, and I keep reading so much about it. Thanks a lot! posted by hardynaka

Dear hardynaka,
I have written a lot about garlic over the past 20 years, especially in my book Herbal Antibiotics. However, for Lyme I do not think it a primary herb for treatment.

It can be a useful adjunct in that regular garlic in the diet does help raise immune function. But as a direct antibacterial for Lyme I think it useless. The primary reason is that Lyme is exceptionally systemic and goes deep within a number of tissues. Therefore any herb to be used as an antibacterial must be able to penetrate to these difficult to reach areas. Garlic, in my experience, does not.

The primary herbs that can be of potential benefit must possess the capacity to go systemic, like malarial herbs, or to cross the blood/brain barrier, like Polygonum or Andrographis. A lot of people have been using garlic for Lyme for at least a decade. Reports from users do not indicate it to be a primary herb for the eradication of the disease. Too many of them show no or only minor relief from its use. So, I like it as a diet adjunct for stimulating immune function and health, not as an antibacterial in this condition.

Stephen
october 30th, 2006
covered this by Buhner on www.planetthrive.com

[ 18. September 2008, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Wallace ]

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

interesting book it would appear for increasing our body temperature Benefits of thermogenic foods f

Tammy Walden
December 6, 2006

Photo By Submitted Photo
Author Cathi Graham

By TAMMY WALDEN

The Review

Studies have shown that men who had hot sauce with an appetizer ate on average 200 fewer calories than men who did not. This is according to Cathi Graham, creator of the Fresh Start Metabolism Program who supports the theory that eating spicy foods can increase metabolism and may actually help you eat less.

"Foods that give your metabolism an extra boost -- including chili peppers -- are called thermogenic foods," she explained. "Thermogenic foods help you burn fat better and give you more energy, so anybody can shed those extra pounds without sacrificing taste or satisfaction.

Graham recently published "The Fresh Start Thermogenic Diet" to further explain the premise. The book focuses on how thermogenic foods such as salmon, hot peppers, celery, salsa and almonds naturally speed up metabolism.

The book provides detailed meal plans and recipe options, tips to limit emotional eating, explanations of different body types and meal plans designed for each figure, as well as inspirational stories from people who have tried and loved the diet.

In 1982 Graham weighed in at a doctor visit at 326 pounds. Her doctor wrote three words on her medical chart that would forever change her life: "patient morbidly obese." Horrified at the realization, she began intensive research and discovered thermogenic foods. This discovery changed her life. In 18 months Graham lost 186 pounds and has kept the weight off ever since.

Graham's response to her success was to share it through The Fresh Start Thermogenic Diet. And for the holidays, she offers tips to heat up the holiday feast and get a jump on weight-related New Year's resolutions including:

n Substituting the holiday ham with roasted chicken breast or wild salmon.

n Snacking on pumpkin seeds, almonds, and walnuts.

n Experimenting with thermogenic spices: cayenne pepper, cinnamon, fennel seed, garlic, ginger, hot peppers, mustards and chili sauce, parsley, and turmeric.

Or try a bowl of Graham's Sunshine Soup:

Yields 6 Servings

Cal: 89, Fat: 3.2g

2 cups squash, cooked and mashed

3 onions, chopped

1 cup celery, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon rosemary

1 quart can chicken stock

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 cups skim milk

nutmeg for garnish

Combine all ingredients except milk and nutmeg in a soup pot. Cook until onions and celery are tender. Remove from heat, add milk, sprinkle with nutmeg, and serve immediately.

Graham speaks frequently at seminars on weight reduction and anti-aging. Her story has been featured in magazines such as First for Women, and she has appeared on the Maury Povich Show. She is also the author of "201 Fat-Burning Recipes and 201 More Fat-Burning Recipes." Graham lives in Vancouver, Canada, with her husband.

rature with garlic etc

wallace

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wallace thanks and thanks to the others for all your posts, I've learned a great deal from them. I'm taking about 2.1 grams of freeze dried garlic after every meal. I also eat cloves raw, I'm going to try your olive oil/lemon/garlic concoction sounds great. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people (like me) get allergy symptoms from garlic. I may be able to deal with freeze dried but fresh garlic make me get really bad seasonal-type allergy symptoms.

I don't get allergies from anything else that I know of.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparkle there is mention of a homeopathic called heel that could reduce or remove the allergic nature of garlic. You might try a search for it. I think garlic is great addition to a protocol.

You might also try garlic in a 2 day on 2 day off letting your body get use to the substance a little at a time.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Drinking red wine also helps getting rid of you smelling but is garlic smell so bad?

Is there any other food you herx from?

I cant think of one?

I think mother nature is telling us this is the food we should take more of.

If you dont herx from garlic pills try 12 cloves of organic garlic in a lemon/olive oil drink. You may herx then??

I intend to now average around one large bulb daily which is around 16 cloves of rose garlic. But I would contend the more garlic the better!!

I do feel it working on the respiratory level.

I have found charcoal helps get rid of my herx.

As Gigi has mentioned wild types of garlic are particularly good but I am no expert on this.

Happy munching!
W

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

I mentioned this elsewhere but in case that thread get lost here it is again. A great naturopath book online.

I love Gandhi and this book was a huge influence on him. He told us to read it critically. I love the book even if there is no mention of Garlic in it!

Wallace

The adolph just book is a christian one by the way its http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0201hyglibcat/020162.Just.pdfonline but I bought a
hard copy

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

I have been asked about stomach discomfort.

Garlic will increase your enzymes and also decrease any allergies, of course in the short term you may have some problems in getting it down. As I mentioned charcoal is great for that and removes garlic odor!

Just build up gradually.

I have come down to 12 cloves of violet/rose garlic.

I see that Ken singleton in his lyme book mentions garlic.

Ancient greeks binged on garlic before going into battle.

Oil increases the effectiveness so eat with olive oil

wallace

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Wallace, eating yogurt shortly after you have the lemon/olive oil/garlic concoction might be a good thing as well. Because the garlic is so anti-microbial it might aid in a probiotics chance to adhere to the epithelial layers of the intestines. As well as the calcium and OO would be better absorbed because of the the lemon. More importantly, it also helps with any stomach irritation issues.

I did that initially and still do it not that I have to. [Wink]

--------------------
Bob

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Wallace,

you say: " . . .I see that Ken singleton in his lyme book mentions garlic. . . ."

Yes, Singleton says "liberal amounts" and that can be open for interpretation.

Singleton also says that, in some individuals, it can be too stimulating in action and may need to be avoided.

Garlic is great. It is wonderful. But it can also cause serious burns - especially at high amounts.

You may do okay with this amount, but someone else could have a hole burn though their stomach from this much raw garlic. I talked with a doctor who has seen this happen - more than once. So, that is my concern for some who might just jump right in.

One - two cloves a day is the usual recommended amount for raw - first starting slowly with it mixed in with food. Organic, of course.

====

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/garlic-bulb-allium-sativum.html

From The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Alan Keith Tillotson)

GARLIC BULB (Allium sativum)

WHAT IT DOES: Garlic bulb is pungent in taste, and warming in action.

It penetrates deeply into the system to protect the internal organs and vessels against infection and blockage.

It stimulates appetite, improves circulation, fights infection, breaks up mucus and aids in the digestion of fats and oils.

RATING: Gold

SAFETY ISSUES:

Use cautiously with sensitive stomach or gastrointestinal inflammation.

May cause skin inflammation in some individuals.

Check with your doctor if taking blood-thinning medications and using garlic in large daily amounts

STARTING DOSAGE:

* Raw or cooked herb: one medium-size bulb two to three times per day.

* Garlic pills or capsules - as per label, as preparations vary greatly in strength

- Full page at link.

-

[ 28. September 2008, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

If you are improving on 2 cloves of garlic great but I dont think that is enough for us who have been on this board too long!

How much? I am coming round to the idea that that one good sized bulb daily should be enough which will be around 15 cloves. Organic preferably and good quality. I am eating rose/violent garlic.

You may need to work up to that amount. I am managing that amount ok.

When I was on 30 cloves I was getting a continual cold. It was too much for me. But in that it proved that garlic gives you a herx it was very useful for me.

Hopefully we can have one active garlic thread here as its cheap and its for the long term and I think we know now that we need a long term strategy along with any new miracle cures out there!!!

Any more garlic experiences?

W

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

It will make us lyme warriors!

WHistory of Garlic: Nature's Ancient Superfood
Written by Kirsten Lasinski and found at http://www.googobits.com/articles/p0-1167-the-history-of-garlic-natures-ancient-superfood.html

For the last 4000 years of human history, Garlic, also known as Allium sativum, has been both cherished and reviled, both sought for its healing powers and shunned for its pungent after effects. From miracle drug to vampire repellent to offering for the gods, this unassuming plant has had an undeniably important place in many aspects of human history, and today enjoys a renewed surge in popularity as modern medicine unearths the wonders of this ancient superfood.

Garlic in Antiquity
Unlike that mysterious Tupperware lurking at the back of your fridge, garlic has been employed in a variety of functions for millennia. Archeologists have discovered clay sculptures of garlic bulbs and paintings of garlic dating about 3200 B.C. in Egyptian tombs in El Mahasna. A recently discovered Egyptian papyrus dating from 1,500 B.C. recommends garlic as a cure all for over 22 common ailments, including lack of stamina, heart disease and tumors, and it's been said the Egyptians fed garlic to the slaves building the pyramids to increase their strength. Garlic proved itself worthy to peasant and royalty alike as Tutankhamen (Egypt's youngest pharaoh) was sent into the afterlife with garlic at his side.

In ancient Greece and Rome, garlic enjoyed a variety of uses, from repelling scorpions to treating dog bites and bladder infections to curing leprosy and asthma. It was even left out as an offering to the Greek goddess Hectate. Early Greek military leaders fed garlic to their troops before battles to give them courage and promise victory (and perhaps in an attempt to fell the opposing army with one good whiff.) Even Greek Olympic athletes counted on garlic to stimulate performance. Ancient Transylvania, home of the vampire legend, found garlic to be an effective mosquito repellent as well as a way to ward off toothsome visitors. In the Middle Ages garlic was thought to combat the plague and was hung in braided strands across the entrances of houses to prevent evil spirits from entering. While modern day experience cannot confirm garlic's effect on evil spirits, it has been proven that garlic, at the least, will prevent a goodnight kiss at the end of a date.

For many years, garlic was shunned by Western cultures such as Britain and America because of the residual stench it left behind. In seventeenth century England, garlic was considered unfit for ladies and anyone who wished to court them, and it was avoided in America even early into the 20th century, when famous chefs would substitute onion for it in recipes. As America experienced a huge influx of immigrants during the 19th century, however, garlic slowly gained a foothold in the American palette.

The Science of Garlic
Beyond superstition, modern research has confirmed what our ancestors believed about the health benefits of garlic. In 1858, Louis Pasteur documented that garlic kills bacteria, with one millimeter or raw garlic juice proving as effective as 60 milligrams of penicillin. During World War II, when penicillin and sulfa drugs were scarce, the British and Russian armies used diluted garlic solutions as an antiseptic to disinfect open wounds and prevent gangrene. Though not completely understood at the time, today's research has confirmed that garlic's healing powers stem from hundreds of volatile sulfur compounds found in the vegetable, including allicin, (which gives garlic its offensive odor), alliin, cycroalliin, and diallyldisulphide.

Garlic's Health Benefits
The allicin in raw, crushed garlic has been shown to kill 23 types of bacteria, including salmonella and staphylococcus. Heated garlic gives off another compound, diallyldisulphide-oxide, which has been shown to lower serum cholesterol by preventing clotting in the arteries.

Vitamins in garlic, such as A, B, and C, stimulate the body to fight carcinogens and get rid of toxins, and may even aid in preventing certain types of cancer, such as stomach cancer. Garlic's sulfur compounds can regulate blood sugar metabolism, stimulate and detoxify the liver, and stimulate the blood circulation and the nervous system.

In many cultures, garlic is also considered a powerful aphrodisiac and a vegetarian alternative to Viagra. Some say it's even able to raise a man's sperm count. In Palestinian tradition, a groom who wears a clove of garlic in his buttonhole is guaranteed a happy wedding night.

While experts vary in opinion regarding the recommended daily amount of dietary garlic, most of them agree that fresh garlic is better than supplements. To negate the aromatic after effects of fresh garlic, herbalists recommend munching on fresh parsley (it's more than just a garnish, folks) or fennel seed.

Public awareness about the health benefits of garlic has slowly but dramatically increased in America, aided by several landmark studies and a $176,000 grant from the FDA a few years ago. Now, garlic supplements abound and Americans are clamoring for more of the bulbous vegetable, which compliments other recently recognized ``superfoods,'' such as olive oil and tomato sauce, so well.

Growing Garlic at Home
Growing your own garlic at home can be fun and relatively easy, even for those without a green thumb. Garlic grows from the individual cloves, with each clove producing one plant with a single bulb, which may in turn contain up to twenty cloves. Because of this, garlic is self-sustaining. Garlic's unique fungicidal and pesticide properties can also help keep neighboring plants healthy.

Garlic typically enjoys a Mediterranean climate, but can be grown in cooler climates as well. Choose a garden site where the soil is not too damp and sunshine is abundant. Plant the cloves individually, standing upright and about an inch under the surface. Cloves should be planted about 4 inches apart, with rows about 18 inches apart. The best time to plant garlic in the USA or Europe is early spring or late fall/early winter. Although knowing when to pick garlic isn't an exact science, a good rule of thumb is to harvest your garlic when half of the leaves around the base of the bulb are green and the other half are turning brown and dying off. Take your garlic inside right away, brush off any dirt, and store in a cool, dry place.

Although sometimes maligned, garlic has had an amazing array of nutritional and medicinal applications throughout human history, and it's still improving the health of many today. So grab a clove and enjoy the many benefits of nature's oldest superfood: garlic.

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

As he says dont be a wimp with regards to the amount of garlic!

W
Herbal Treatment for Preventing Colds and Flu
by Dr. Richard Schulze

Will you get a Cold or Flu this Winter? The odds are YES! The Average American Gets 2.8 colds a year. Don't just sit there sneezing and sniffling. Do something about it!

Are antibiotics the answer? Medical Alert! Last September, the Journal of the American Medical Association stated that Antibiotics have little or no benefit for Colds, Upper Respiratory Tract Infections or Bronchitis. JAMA went on to say the high rate of antibiotic prescribing has even backfired, causing an increase of new harmful drug resistant strains of bacteria.

Doctors continue to write over 12 million prescriptions per year for these drugs, knowing that they are not effective. Some doctors claim that ``patient expectations'' are the cause of this drug prescription abuse. It seems that doctors are handing out ineffective and dangerous drugs instead of educating the patient.

Prevention
The only real way to prevent colds and flu and fight off infection is to have a strong immune system. Curing diseases with drugs often results in a recurrence of the same problem later, because the real cause of the disease wasn't addressed. Worse, because drugs can cause disease organisms to concentrate and mutate (creating resistant strains of pathogens), the disease or infection often recurs with a vengeance. This proves the old saying,

``It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.''

The only true cure for anything is the one your body creates when you live a healthy lifestyle and prevent disease before it starts. We need a strong, healthy and protecting immune system.

The Herbal Dynamic Duo: Echinacea and Garlic
I spent 20 years in the clinic working with thousands of patients who had a cold or influenza. I witnessed firsthand the effectiveness of Echinacea on a daily basis.

Echinacea (pronounced ek-eh-na-see-a) is both the common name and the botanical Latin name for the plant. There are eight known species which are indigenous only to the United States, although it is now cultivated all over the world. The most common species of Echinacea used today are Echinacea angustifolia, Echinacea purpurea and Echinacea pallida. Although the root is typically the part of the plant that is used, the entire plant including the seeds, leaves, flower head and stalk are medicinally competent. It is in the same family as the sunflower and looks like a purple petaled smaller cousin. It grows wild in many areas of the Midwest and southern United States. The Echinacea purpurea species can easily be grown in a sunny spot in your backyard.

What makes a plant medicinally effective for treating disease? It's the chemicals in the plant, referred to as phytochemicals (phyto from the Greek word meaning plant). Echinacea contains many phytochemicals such as Polysaccharides, Isobutyl amides, Polyacetylenes, Cichoric Acid, Echinacoside, Cynarin, etc. These chemicals are known to cause the following preventive and disease fighting physiological responses.

Hyaluronidase inhibition--this protects your cells by stopping bacteria, viruses and other disease causing organisms from being able to penetrate the cell wall.
Stimulates and increases the number of leukocytes (white blood cells)--These cells (T-cells, B-cells, Granulocytes, Macrophages, etc.) are some of the main components of your immune system. They fight off invaders in many ways.
Increases phagocytosis--the ability of the above mentioned leukocytes to destroy and dispose of bacteria, viruses, fungus and other disease causing microbes.
Increases production of gamma globulins--these are the chemicals that coat the B-cells and are used to make antibodies. Antibodies are chemicals that kill specific bacteria, virus and other pathogens that make you sick.
There are hundreds of other known healing and protecting abilities of Echinacea besides colds, flu, sore throats and upper respiratory infections. A partial list includes inhibiting tumor growth, killing strep and staph bacteria, halting urinary tract infections, healing infected wounds, relieving hives and allergic reactions, stopping allergies, neutralizing toxic and poisonous insect and animal bites and stings, etc.

Garlic is the common name for the Latin botanical name Allium sativum. The medicinal usage of Garlic has been documented, if not worshipped, since the beginning of recorded history. From the Egyptians and Greeks to the Romans, Garlic was used as both food and strong medicine to strengthen and heal the body.

Why Garlic instead of Goldenseal root? The answer is, there really is no contest. Goldenseal is a much milder antibacterial bitter herb. Goldenseal contains phytochemical alkaloids that are moderately antibacterial. I'm a big fan of Goldenseal. It is wonderful for use on bacterial infections of the eyes, and mucous membranes of the sinus and throat. It is still a main component in my herbal eyewash, herbal sinus snuff and gargle. It is a wonderful herbal antibacterial that you can use on sensitive areas of the body. But compared to Garlic? GET REAL!

Garlic is one of the strongest medicinal plants on Earth. It can be diluted down to one part in 125,000 and still be effective. In fact, just the odor has proven to be highly antibacterial. It is an extremely effective and a powerful broad-spectrum antibiotic, killing all types of bacteria on contact. Garlic is so esteemed in Russia it has been nicknamed ``Russian penicillin.''

Garlic, as an anti-bacterial, has been proven to destroy many types of bacteria including Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Typhoid, Diphtheria, Cholera, E. coli, Bacterial Dysentery, Tuberculosis, Tetanus, Rheumatic bacteria, and others.

Pharmaceutical antibiotics are non-selective in their destruction of bacteria-- they just destroy it all. This creates many problems because our body has many so-called friendly bacteria that we need for proper metabolic functions. This is why many people, after a course of antibiotics, have digestive problems, constipation, and yeast and fungal overgrowth infections. Our bodies also become immune to these antibiotics over time and sometimes dangerous resistant strains of bacteria are actually created in our body. None of these problems exist when using Garlic because of its natural selective bacterial destruction. In fact, the use of Garlic over time has been proven to enhance the intestinal micro flora.

Garlic has also been proven in the laboratory to be a very powerful anti-viral agent. Many doctors feel it's the cure for the common cold. It destroys various viruses that cause upper respiratory infections and influenza. Garlic destroys on contact such viral infections as Measles, Mumps, Mononucleosis, Chicken pox, Herpes simplex #1 and #2, Herpes zoster, Viral Hepatitis, Scarlet fever, Rabies and others. So while some say that the reason you don't catch colds when you eat Garlic is because no one will come near you, remember, Garlic is also a powerful anti-viral agent.

Garlic's potent anti-fungal ability is second to none. In the laboratory it has proven to be more potent than most any known anti-fungal drug. Garlic will regulate the overgrowth of Candida albicans.

Garlic thins both red and white blood cells. It is a known fact that most viruses, including the common cold, grow faster and spread from cell to cell more easily when your white blood is thick. Garlic inhibits white blood cells from aggregating which, in turn, stops the advance of a cold or flu.

Echinacea and Garlic: A One - Two Punch for the Common Cold
O.K., so what do we know now? Echinacea will enhance, stimulate and strengthen your immune system to protect you from any attack. If you do get attacked, Garlic will destroy the invader on sight.

So, you may ask, why are almost all the Echinacea products in the health food stores mixed with Goldenseal? Why does the herbal world seem to prefer Goldenseal? All I can say is that there is a difference between what is popular in the herbal product sales world and what is effective in the clinic. A few years ago there were a couple of herbal tonics that mixed Echinacea with Goldenseal that got a lot of attention/hype and therefore a lot of popularity. When this happens, almost all of the other herbal product companies follow suit immediately, even if they know better, to catch the sales wave, like what is recently happening with St. John's Wort.

In the clinic, fighting real disease in real patients is very different from the reality of marketing herbal products. Working in the clinical trenches for 20 years taught me to never lose sight of my primary focus: To Help My Patients Get Well. I used what worked and threw out the herbal theories, hypotheses and fads that didn't.

There is one more reason to move over to Garlic: Goldenseal is in very short supply. It is on many endangered species lists. Most conscious herbalists have agreed not to use it until it is organically cultivated and available. That will be in a few more years.

Echinacea and Garlic: How to Use Them
The Raw Herb: Echinacea root and Garlic bulb, fresh or dried, can be chewed and eaten raw.

Chew a one inch piece of Echinacea root every waking hour or two. This will make your mouth tingle a lot and take you awhile to pulverize it enough to swallow.

Herbal capsules made from dried and powdered herbs are considered by most clinical herbalists, myself included, to be the least effective way to treat patients. In fact, they often don't work at all.

With Garlic, I don't know if there is a limit. The only sign of overdose is gastric upset and maybe a loss of all your friends.

Don't be a wimp! Last year I received a letter from an elderly woman who was dying from a viral lung infection. She'd had the condition for over a year and all the doctors and drugs had not helped her. The doctors gave her only weeks left to live. She read an article I wrote on Garlic and immediately consumed 47 cloves of raw garlic a day for three days. Shortly thereafter, her so-called incurable viral respiratory infection was gone. By the way, she was 83 years old.

Herbal Tea: Simmer a heaping tablespoon of fresh Echinacea root and a level teaspoon of fresh Garlic bulb in 20 ounces of distilled water. Cool and drink this amount three times daily.

Tinctures: These preparations are very popular amongst clinical herbalists and are, without exception, the strongest, most concentrated, fastest acting way to use herbs. Echinacea tincture is one of the easiest ways to treat a cold and flu. If you want to make your own tincture, just call the toll free number at the end of this article and I will send you free instructions. Be careful when purchasing tinctures: most on the market are of poor quality and will be of little benefit to you.

The tincture dosages I recommend are double what most armchair herbalists suggest, but these are the dosages that created successful healings in my clinic year after year. Echinacea must be taken steadily over a period of about one week for maximum immune protection. You must have a certain amount of the phytochemicals in your bloodstream every day to get maximum results and to supercharge your immune system.

For preventive immune boosting with no current health problems--Use two dropperfuls, about 60 drops, five times daily until you have consumed two fluid ounces or 60 milliliters. This will take about seven days. Do this at the beginning of each month for the best prevention.
You have that ``uh-oh'' feeling, ``no specific symptoms but I think I'm coming down with something.''--Use four dropperfuls, about 120 drops, five times daily until you have consumed two fluid ounces or 60 milliliters. This will take three to four days. Start immediately.
Onset of Fever, Chills or any of the symptoms of a Cold or Flu--Use four dropperfuls, about 120 drops, eight times daily (or every other waking hour) until you have consumed two fluid ounces or 60 milliliters. This will take about two days. You may continue this dosage for a week and then reduce it.
High Fever, Sore Throat, Yellow Mucous, Coughing, Sneezing--Use four dropperfuls, about 120 drops, every hour you are awake (about 16 times a day) until you have consumed two fluid ounces or 60 milliliters. This will take about one day. You may do this for two to three days before you lower your dose.
Note: There are no toxic side effects with Echinacea and no known over dosage. Although health circle rumors abound that if you take too much Echinacea or for too long a period of time you could burn out your immune system, I don't believe them. Over the years in my clinic I had many an Echinacea junkie and never saw one case of a depressed immunity because of their habit--but I did see patients not getting well from not taking enough.

On the other hand, Echinacea is a strong medicinal herb. All medicinal herbs are best used for a period of time and then stopped for a week or two. When a person needs to use an herb indefinitely because the symptoms persist, this is often a sign that the patient is hoping the herb will be a natural ``magic bullet.'' The person may not be correcting the underlying causes of their disease by changing their lifestyle, their food program, doing frequent elimination and detoxifying programs, engaging in movement programs and emotional healing. Remember, herbs are but one healing tool in a full spectrum healthy lifestyle.

Dr. Schulze is one of the foremost authorities on Alternative Healing and Herbal Medicine in the world today. He operated an Alternative Medical Clinic for 20 years. During the last decade of his practice, he worked almost exclusively with patients who had life threatening and so-called ``incurable'' diseases. To order audiotapes, videotapes and books from Dr. Schulze, call Toll Free (877) Teach Me - (877) 832-2463. Mention this article to receive a Free Patient Handbook.

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

bump
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted a bunch of info on garlic on another forum.

Sorry, I don't have the time or strength to re-post it all here.

Here's a link to the info: Garlic

[ 03. October 2008, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Thanks

Wallace

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement