LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Eye pressure high again - suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eye pressure high again - suggestions?
wiserforit2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has any one had glaucoma-like pressure in eyes from inflammation? I'm having a hard time with this.

My eye doctor has tried about every eye drop imaginable and the pressure just won't go down.

Just learned that one of the eye drops - Combigan - had a beta-blocker in it that was making me have weak muscles and depression. Stopped the drops and felt improved mood and stamina, but the eye pressure remains of concern. 24 R/ 25 L.

Suggestions?

wiserforit2

Posts: 273 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both my husand and I have developped Glaucoma after being infected.

Fortunately, for us all the drops that we tried are working and putting the pressure down. I tried a few of them because I thought they were giving me side effects but when I stopped the drops for two weeks I still had the symptoms so it was the Lyme and Co.

I'm taking Timololmaleate and hubby is on Combigan.

I'm convinced our Glaucomas are caused by a bug that we have transmitted from one to the other, i.e. I think it's contagious.

Sorry, this doesn't help you.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have tight neck muscles?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not help, but it may be worth giving Wobenzyme, a systemic enzyme, a try. I found it to be helpful with reducing inflammation.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came down with this yesterday. A bit disturbing. Eye pressure and pain and slightly blurry vision.

Here is a link to natural treatment:

http://alternative-medicine-and-health.com/conditions/glaucoma.htm

I read this morning that Vitamin C with bioflavonoids and Rutin are key to rebuilding the collagen that breaks down and causes the blockage. I read that 1-3 grams of C for three weeks will often resolve the problem.

My muscle testing says yes to 3 grams Vit C and two capsules of Wobenzyme or ProSol Protease Plus. (I'll also get some Rutin, but don't have this to test with here.)

I'm doctor phobic. Do you think I need to go in and get checked, and get drops, etc, or can I let it go for a little while and try to treat it naturally. On the websites they call this a "medical emergency."

I don't want to go blind, but I don't want to visit a doctor out of pocket for another round of "there's nothing wrong with you," or "let's wait and see," or take these eye drops that will drop your blood pressure (which is already so low, so I'd need to increase my hydorcortisone again!)

And then to have to either explain or not explain the lyme thing, to explain or not explain the low dose hydrocortisone that has kept me alive, when corticosteroids can cause glaucoma...fortunately I'm almost off of it now.

Sorry to piggy back here, but no responses on my post, and I figure you folks have some experience.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you think the problem is due to the infection and don't want to go to the Dr., you might try bee venom eye drops. They're available at www.dancingbeeacres.com.

They helped clear up my eyes a lot. Stings a little when you first put them in, but gets better pretty quickly.

It doesn't take a lot to work. The little bottle is fairly expensive, about $30, but very much worth it in my opinion. I've also instilled the drops in my ear.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for your replies!

BryonSbell - my neck does get stiff an awful lot. Cranial Sacral helps with that. What were your thoughts?

Vermonter! You've mentioned Wobenzyme-Wobegone before and I think I better just try it? Do you order it from someplace special or just pick up any old kind?

Gabriel - I'm glad the drops work for you and your husband. It seems the Timilol in the Combigan is what gets to me in a bad way. Wish it weren't so.

bejoy - it is worth it to get a baseline of testing done, so that if things improve or get worse, you'll know where you've been. Vitamin C always kicks off a gut reaction in me, but it would be worth it to try again.

psano -- your suggestion of bee venom drops is an interesting one and cheaper than the co-pay on the other eyedrops!

Someone posted a Chinese herb article about the effectiveness of Stephania on eye pressure. Keebler? Must look it up.

Warm regards to everyone,

wiserforit2

Posts: 273 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methazolamide or Neptazane helped me tremendously.
Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melanie Reber:
Methazolamide or Neptazane helped me tremendously.

Melanie,

Did you have any problems with your eyes other than the pain & pressure? I know you posted about these meds before and I'm surprised I hadn't heard about them.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Miss Peggy,

No, I was very fortunate to not have any other eye issues with TBDs. My big problem was pressure headaches and eye pain from that. The muscles behind my eyes hurt when I would move them.

My doc, Dr. J of NC, recommended the Methazolamide when nothing else worked, and it was just a God send for me.

Methazolamide is the same as Neptazane, just different brand names, I think. As I have posted before, it is a glaucoma med, so is used to reduce the intercranial pressure.

Many docs have not heard of it and this off label use, but if you can get them to do a bit of reading up on it, they will prescribe for you.

I know your boys have been through horrid times with head stuff too. I would recommend trying this
; cant hurt, and may in fact help some.

M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the blurry vision a herx type thing ...sometimes anyway?
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melanie Reber:
Hey Miss Peggy,

No, I was very fortunate to not have any other eye issues with TBDs. My big problem was pressure headaches and eye pain from that. The muscles behind my eyes hurt when I would move them.

My doc, Dr. J of NC, recommended the Methazolamide when nothing else worked, and it was just a God send for me.

Methazolamide is the same as Neptazane, just different brand names, I think. As I have posted before, it is a glaucoma med, so is used to reduce the intercranial pressure.

Many docs have not heard of it and this off label use, but if you can get them to do a bit of reading up on it, they will prescribe for you.

I know your boys have been through horrid times with head stuff too. I would recommend trying this
; cant hurt, and may in fact help some.

M

Melanie,

Jake & Jordan had shunts put in last summer. Jake has a VP shunt & Jordan has an LP shunt. The shunts have helped but they still have bad headaches.

I think Jordan headache right now is from low pressure. He has an appointment with a NP at his neurosurgeon's office on Monday.

I've been taking Diamox as needed and it works most of the time. Did you take Neptazane as needed or on a daily basis?

Thanks for your help!

--------------------
Peggy

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Marschner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Marschner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry if I offend, but isn't marijuana historically the best at relieving eye pressure?

The ole Canal of Schlemm or Schlemn or something?

Causes a nerve to stimulate the opening of the canal and thus draining of extra fluid?

They have legal alternatives as well...like "Marinol" if you hate marijuana and don't want to break a law. Even tho the laws are very de-criminalized in NY.

I think it's a violation (like a parking ticket.) for getting caught with less than 1 OZ of it. 1 OZ is alot too.

I had a Dr. prescribe me Marinol once. Its not the same. In fact it's completely synthetic Delta-1 THC, which doesnt exist in nature, but has similar effects.

Again, I dont mean to insinuate anything negative. Just sharing ideas.

Posts: 269 | From Valencia, CA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Oh Peggy,

I am so sorry those guys are still suffering so much! Wish I could really help!

I took the Neptazane nightly with other meds. It had the added bonus of making me tired, so it also helped with my insomnia.

If I remember correctly, it took 7-10 days to really kick in and do some good.

Diamox was useless for me.

My headaches are pretty few and far between now, and when one hits I am usually able to knock it back with only Excedrin Migraine.

Such a relief!

James Marschner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Marschner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started getting Cluster headaches before I was dx'd. Years before. They would come on for a month or so. When they started, I'd get one or two a week, then in time I was getting them every night.

Always at night...and always behind the left eye. Found out that they were "cluster headaches". A specific type of migraine which are particularly nasty and holy **** painful!

They didnt cause visual hallucinations and light and sound didnt affect them. They just hurt so bad...cant even explain it. no worse pain..and pain medicine such as stadol wouldnt touch it.

I found that nothing helped until one day my Dr ordered me a tank of O2. I'd hyperventilate on the O2 and it would stop 'em b4 they really evr got started...Like Magic!!

I also found that smoke and alcohol would bring them on real quick!

I dont know about relieving eye pressure or how it worked but it did.

If that sounds similar then u should try Oxygen...no side effects with that.

Posts: 269 | From Valencia, CA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tori,

a suggestion would be to PM EYEBOB; i didn't see a response from him nor do i think i've seen his name on board for awhile.

click on directory at top
go to left side, 1st line, type in his name and click search.
it'll bring up his profile; you can pm him from there!

[group hug] [kiss] so sorry to read this; hubby has GRAVES DISEASE OF EYES aka betty davis eyes from his overactive thyroid.

best wishes tori! say hi to your boys for me! i still have up my dancing men from THEM! [lol] [Cool]

wiserforit2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18286

Melanie -- thank you for the methalozomide idea. I'm happy that it worked for you. So far, I am making a list of suggestions to present to my eye doctor.

James - I do remember a friend in the 70s with glaucoma dabbling in marajuana to bring pressure down. Personally, I'd get sick on the smoke and paranoid from smoking the stuff -- just being in a room of recreational smoke always made me feel jumpy back in the day.

That said, the O2 sounds really interesting and good to try. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

bettyg, my rockette of rockette friends! Thank you for the EYEBOB suggestion. Glad our paperdolls are still kickin' it! Most of all, glad for your dancin'! My boys are growing and laughing and getting all excited about the inauguration. So fun to see it through their eyes!

Thanks again to everyone,

wiserforit2

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Wiser (much!) girlfriend,

I got the Wobenzyme through iHerb; I think they sell it in other places like Vitacost, probably even for a couple bucks less (it is expensive stuff)!

But I am kindof used to using iHerb, and with my discount, they are reasonable....

It's worth a try! I hope it helps. Robin123 swears by mangosteen for her eye problems, and that sounds worth a try too as a natural anti-inflammatory.

I am really sorry to hear that eye pressure is a problem....be sure you love your opthamologist, a good/great one makes a difference!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perfect timing! I was reading through the posts, thinking I gotta make a mangosteen suggestion, and Vermont, you beat me to it by a half hour...
Hi, Vermont! [hi]

Ok, you probably know my spiel, that the Ultra mangosteen juice variety for me stops all eye symptoms.

So have you tried mangosteen juice?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eye pressure can be caused by tight neck muscles, especially the muscles/tendons on the front of the neck.

I notice days when my muscles are tighter, my eyes have more pressure. I had a website explaining all of this but seem to have accidentally deleted it with some of my music files. [bonk]

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

[hi] Hi Robin!

Up for my wiser girlfriend [Smile]

Paul M in MA
Member # 14630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul M in MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has had the pressure headache for almost 2 years now. When they got really bad the area behind her eyes would hurt too.

When tested by an opthamologist yesterday he said eye pressure was normal so she didn't have glaucoma.

She did have papilledema, which is swelling of the optic disc due to increased pressure inside the head.

He couldn't detect this issue by only looking into her eyes with a light. He had to use special equipment.

Many neurologists had looked into her eyes with a light and found nothing. If only they had used a machine we could have resolved this issue a few years ago.

She is having a lumbar puncture tomorrow or the day after to test her pressure and after that will be prescribed medicine to try and resolve the pressure.

He felt it was due to the Lyme infection in her brain.

When she started IV Rifampin and IV Levaquin last month her headache went from bad to worse so the opthamologist figured it was increase die-off that was causing more pressure in her head and therefore increased pressure in her eyes. (I was shocked and happy he knew about Lyme and die-off).

I would imagine the neurologist doing the lumbar puncture will prescribe Acetazolamide (Diamox) or Methazolamide (Neptazane) to get rid of the pressure in her head and eyes.

It's great to hear that some headache sufferers have had good results with these meds.

Good luck and thanks to everyone. Paul.

Posts: 80 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Paul,

My kids go to their ophthalmologist every 6 months to check for changes. My kids don't have papilledema, but they have very high opening pressures when they have an LP.

If your daughter hasn't had the LP done yet, ask them what her opening pressure is.

Let me know if you want any tips for post-LP

--------------------
Peggy

B and M
Member # 13544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B and M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had both eye pressure and blurred vision (some days), as amny people above have stated.

I found using supplements helps with the pressure. I take both bilberry and luten. Over a couple of weeks the pressure seemed to ease.

While I no longer have the headaches, I still have problems focusing most days.

It may be worth a try...

Bill

Posts: 65 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement