LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Activism.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Update on Committee to review IDSA Guidelines (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Update on Committee to review IDSA Guidelines
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post 
FYI from Sheila.

The new IDSA Lyme guidelines panel has been selected. The "ethics" expert disqualified any practitioner who earns more than $10,000 per year treating Lyme patients, ostensibly construing this as a conflict of interest.

This standard excludes the most experienced treating Lyme docs from the panel - and from what I understand, formed the justification, for example, for rejecting every ILADS physician who applied. Dr. Donta's application also was rejected.

For more on this subject, I have copied for you below an excerpt from Lorraine Johnson's blog on the California Lyme Disease Association (CALDA) website.

For those of you who may not know her, Lorraine is an attorney and serves as the executive director of CALDA.

Feel free to share this information with others.

http://www.lymedisease.org/news/lyme_blog_2/20.html

Conflicting views on conflicts--throwing the baby out with the bathwater

Conflicts of interest are not good for medicine. Why?

Because when a physician has a conflict a secondary considerations (such as a lab referrals, vaccine research grants, or revenues from proprietary diagnostic tests) may compete and trump concerns about the best care for the patient.

The last Lyme disease guidelines by the IDSA suffered from an abundance of conflicts of interest and no oversight.

In fact, the Attorney General found extensive conflicts
of interests among the IDSA panel that developed those guidelines.

The IDSA's new guidelines panel, which was legally mandated by a settlement with the Connecticut Attorney General, was supposed to eliminate these types of conflicts of interests and an ethicist, Dr. Howard Brody, director of the Institute
for Medical Humanities at the University of Texas was chosen to oversee these conflicts.

So what's the problem? Well, expert panels are first and foremost supposed to be experts.

And, while you may not want pharmaceutical interests driving
the cart, you definitely want physicians who treat the disease on the panel.

Brody rejected any applicant who made more than $10,000 a year from treating Lyme disease.

This excluded all physicians who saw more than one patient per week who had Lyme disease.

Simply put, there are no experts on this panel that treat Lyme disease or who could form meaningful ``expert opinions''.

To put this in perspective, the last IDSA guidelines panel based the majority of its recommendations on ``expert opinion''.

If there are no experts on treating Lyme disease on the panel, then what type of expert opinion can recommendations such as these be based on?

In short, Brody threw out the baby with the bathwater.

Who would expect a cardiology panel to be populated with
physicians who are not cardiologists? The notion is absurd.

In law, this is known as reduction ad absurdum.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally Agree Tincup!!!!!! [bonk] [bonk] [bonk]

OK, so how can we start bombarding them with how outrageous this is and how there are actually no "experts" on this new panel???????

Your analogy of the cardiologist should be enough to make them reconsider.

Perhaps we should start threatening them that they are trying to decide our healthcare with no experts in the field involved and that will be a huge liability for them if we were to start a huge class action law suit.

I mean my goodness, would they want to have their childrens guidlines for immunizatigons decided by a construction worker????? This is so crazy.

Is anyone thinking out there?

I am really p'd right now.

Where do we write????? [cussing] [cussing] [cussing]

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh jez...I didn't think our outlook could get any worse.
Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Decisions made from high above....
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conspiracy

Yep it runs deep

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [bonk]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we need to find a way to publically slam them through the media and show how insane this is.

Perhaps there is also a way to get notorized signatures from lyme patients, friends and family(I am talking about thousands of signatures), showing that we will be charging the IDSA with reckless behavior. Think class action. Basically if this happens, we are an unprotected class of people.

OK, I know I am ranting but you can see where my thought process is going.

This is absolutely reckless and must be stopped.

--------------------

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, what does Richard Blumenthal think of this? Or is he completely out of it because they came to a settlement? Does he still have any influence or say at all?

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not surprising, expected in fact because of what the IDSA said after the settlement with CT AG. They said nothing would change, and this is their way of ensuring that it won't. The question is whether they will get away with it.

Brody doesn't sound like he is very useful.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Slam the selections by asking if cardiology panels cannot have cardiologists on them that make more than $10,000 per year on heart disease payments.

And orthopedic panels....etc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TC wrote:
The "ethics" expert disqualified any practitioner who earns more than $10,000 per year treating Lyme patients, ostensibly construing this as a conflict of interest.

From reading the actual agreement, I think this was included in the agreement from the beginning unless it was added later. See the bottom of page 7.
http://www.ct.gov/ag/lib/ag/health/idsaagreement.pdf

See page 8, C. Must be knowledgeable in the subject of lyme disease but not necessarily an expert.

According to the agreement, the IDSA pick the panel.

Look at 3 and 4 on the bottom of page 8. Looks like the panel must include at least one doctor with clinical experience in treating lyme disease patients.

Seems like that doctor will be one who currently follows IDSA guidelines because if they didn't, they would be inundated with patients in which case they would be making more than $10,000 per year treating lyme disease.

The way they set this up is pretty clever.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

We are holocaust victims, plain and simple.
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

If they are not able to use doctors that make more than $10k treating Lyme victims, then they must not be all that familar with Lyme. How can they call this an expert panel????

We need to slam them. Think Think Think???????

--------------------

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think this guy has?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/14/billy.irpt/index.html

Ill bet cha

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-

Treepatrol,

Wow - that needs it's own thread and a team of replies. It would help to know what they've tested for but my guess is not Tick borne disease with the right labs or Cpn.

--

Does the IDSA committee have to go back the the Atty Gen. Blu. for some sort of approval of their solution as they have designed it?

[editing to add: Oh, I see that Terry already posted the answer to that.]

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lies wrote:
How can they call this an expert panel????

They aren't.

See page 8, C. Must be knowledgeable in the subject of lyme disease but not necessarily an expert.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Well we shouldn't settle for someone who has knowledge in a particular disease capable of setting guidelines.

Thanks for the correction Terry, I just assumed they would have experts in the field. Can't imagine why I would expect experts to write guidelines for this disease????????

I guess that would mean we are all capable of being on the panel as well. Geez

--------------------

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not good. This is bad, really bad. What are we going to do? I'm thinking.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There must be doctors who have lyme but do not treat it. They would be good to have on the panel.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

tree, thanks for that; i just emailed billy's wife with lyme blood testing info.

tincup, THANKS for posting latest from shiela here! i copied it to www.mdjunction.com also so this can be posted all around.

ALL LYME/CO-INFECTION PATIENTS need to organize and strike down the many injustices of this HOG WASH PANEL put together.

$10,000 ... that was NEVER in original posting!! there was no mention of $$ in original one. [toilet] [tsk] [puke]

Allie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to find out WHO is actually going to serve on the panel now that they are chosen? There are only 15 or so people. I can only assume these 15 don't want to go down like their predecessors did.

Wasn't a piece of the AG's findings related to cherry picking of scientific data used to justify "expert opinion?" This go-round, *all* doctors and the public are encouraged to supply the panel with all the latest research. This has to make a difference this time.

Doesn't it?

Please say it does...

Allie

Posts: 300 | From Northeast | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

please copy shiela's info and post on ALL OTHER LYME BOARDS, and send to ALL ON YOUR OWN LYME LIST GROUPS!

we've got to get the word out and show this lymenet link here so we can try to coordinate our efforts on getting corrective action for us ALL! thanks bettyg

njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IDSA lists the selection of panelists for review on their website.

Weinstein was on the panel, but now is no longer listed.

I spoke to an attorney at AT Blumenthanl's office. The hearing date has not yet been set, but may take place late April.

Our experts need to come forward at this hearing to present to this panel of "experts". We will be able to view/hear this hearing via webcam. I hope this isn't too complicated for the inept computer users like myself.

I don't want to lose hope, but somehow this just feels like it will not end well. I wish there was something we could do that would make a difference.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, as Terry said, this was part of the guidelines agreement, though the $10K figure was not part of the original agreement. The names of the panelists are listed at:

http://www.idsociety.org/Content.aspx?id=13310

Our most powerful response is going to be at the public hearing that will be convened, as per the agreement.

-- Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait! Don't judge too quickly! I have been googling some of the names on the panel and have found at least two who seem to be leaning to our side in their research.

I don't think the idea of this panel was to pick experts in lyme, but rather to select people with some experience who were open-minded. Remember, their role is to examine the research and listen to the testimonies, then make decisions based on that.

Let's learn more about each of these people and share our information so that we can determine if the balance is there.
For example, I did find one who sat or sits on a Blue Cross committee and has been involved with pharma; but I would want to dig deeper before protesting it. Let's do some homework!

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished pulling myself up out of the gutter from these IV's and get back here, to have this be the first note I see.

This is so horrid.

I think the lines "Who would expect a cardiology panel to be populated with
physicians who are not cardiologists? The notion is absurd." sum this up.

What kind of insanity is going on here? Thanks for giving us the update, Tincup, although it's not the one I wanted. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Lorraine Johnson's blog she states "If you have information on any of the proposed panelists that you believe impairs their ability to serve on the panel impartially, please email me privately at [email protected]

So lymeout, if it looks like a panelist has a conflict with an ins. co or pharma, you may want to follow through with an email to Johnson.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of the concerns and frustration here. On the bright side (o.k. maybe not as bright as we'd like) this also means physicians such as Steere and WORM do not qualify either, right? The point here is not to have anyone with any prejudice one way or the other. What is important is that the ILADS folks have an opportunity to present the data, clinical experiences, etc.

Does anyone know how information is supposed to be presented and analyzed??

Posts: 561 | From mass | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fixed. Military reps. cover up again. I'll bet my botom teeth that nothing changes.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here the panelist's name:

Carol J. Baker, MD,
Chair Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX

William A. Charini, MD
Peabody, MA

Paul H. Duray, MD (retired)
Westwood, MA

Paul M. Lantos, MD
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC

Gerald Medoff, MD
Washington University School of Medicine
St. Louis, MO

Manuel H. Moro, DVM, MPH, PhD
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD

David M. Mushatt, MD, MPH & TM
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA

Jeffrey Parsonnet, MD
Dartmouth‐Hitchcock Medical Center
Lebanon, NH

Cmdr. John W. Sanders, MD
U.S. Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Peru

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter how you spin it, this bites.

But it's not liike we didn't see this coming.

The truth is, we will ever win with the IDSA. Period. The deck is stacked no matter what. I hope I live to eat these words, but I think any panelist, whether or not directly biased, is indirectly biased, simply by virtue of what's out there for the average physician or to read. Where would they EVEN SEE any point of view but the current dogma? All they'll see is the big easy stuff, the stuff right out there front and center, like the recent NEJM. The chronic-Lyme supportive research has been buried, and unless they comb the literature they'll never see it.

I think the way out is not by convincing the IDSA they are and have been wrong -- impossible for many reasons -- but to somehow make them irrelevant. We need to do an end run around them. We need to get our message out to the media and every doctor and government official and health professional; ingrain the message so deeply, that when they hear the hollow ringings of the IDSA they just look at them and think it's quaint. Like the ramblings of a crazy old uncle who lives up in the attic and no one pays any attention to.

Right now our crazy uncle is screaming, and everyone is listening, thinking he makes perfect sense.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CLASS ACTION SUIT is the way to go! Maybe the attorney general that filed the lawsuit in the first place is a good person to contact to guide us in the right direction.

We cannot sit back and let them do this. The analogy of the cardiologist is great. How can you have a group of people making guidelines to follow for treatment of LD, that has no Lyme expert on the board? It is too ridiculous.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LLYME
Member # 18687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LLYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by treepatrol:
What do you think this guy has?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/14/billy.irpt/index.html

Ill bet cha

In the CNN article it says they have a facebook and myspace page. We should post on their page saying to test for Lyme.
Posts: 92 | From Virginia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

llyme,

i wrote feedback comments on article for billy/nikki, and sent her an email at home with more details on lyme

western blot igm/igg and co-infection testing at igenex, calif.

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

A couple of people on a panel of 15 who may lean our way, is not going to get the job done.

This whole thing is insane.

Although I agree with not judging quickly and there may be one or two that are leaning our way, time is of the essence. Do you really think not having ppl who treat Lyme regularly are going to really understand the nitty gritty of our disease???? And, whose understanding of Lyme do you think the "majority" of the panel will understand?

By using the 10k rule, that would basically keep all the doctors who regularly treat Lyme patients out of the picture and they know it.

I'm not going to be nice about this disease any more. This may be our only time. There was absolutely no balance in the last panel and based on this rule it appears to smell like a rat to me.

--------------------

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

I also think we should send thoudands of letters to these panelists. Maybe if they personally read our story's and see our children's pictures this will help some.

If they don't change things, then they will have to live with the guilt of thousands of personal testimonies that were trying to show them the light.

Thank you for posting their names.

--------------------

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Nomoremuscles,

Of course I also think you are absolutely correct. We need to do your plan as well. That is why I mentioned media etc...

But, we do want this panel to know we are holding them responsible and that we are not going away until they change these guidelines and bills are passed as well.

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know who put the 10K exclusion rule in the agreement. That alone excludes clinical practitioners who know what treatments work or don't work for Lyme patients.

How does that rule jive with the paragraph above it that says they are looking for a panel that will "reflect a balanced variety of perspectives and experiences...ranging from clinical experience in treating patients with Lyme disease...".

How can anyone have adequate clinical experience in treating Lyme patients with a 10K cap?

We go to LLMD doctors for care. How can their input be excluded from this advisory panel whose purpose is to advise on how to treat patients?

This doesn't make any sense (said Alice in the rabbit hole)...

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

QUICK NOTE- in response to-

"I also think we should send thoudands of letters to these panelists. Maybe if they personally read our story's and see our children's pictures this will help some."

I know that some folks are not pleased right now. BUT...

Please do not take ANY action until the ones who have the knowledge and experience... and who have been dealing with this from Day 1 (getting the ducks in a row) have time to consider all the options and get back to us.

A few actions here and there will not make the same forceful impact as one big movement would... and...

There is a chance things could be made worse by those who don't know all the facts, myself included.

So I respectively ask that we think, research, discuss and contemplate... but do not take action yet.

Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

I wrote this the other day ... might be worth repeating here.

As patients we are not to interfere or try to intervene with the IDSA guideline review process... especially not by contacting the mediator or panel members.

I know it is hard to understand for some, including me, but attempting to make contact with those involved in the Attorney General's legal process and his ordered review (think of this like you would a court order) ...

Would be similar to folks contacting the judge in a murder trial behind the scenes and asking what he is doing or what is going on.

I would hope everyone would respect the official process and wait for news to come down from the top.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Good points Tincup,

I just hope that this panel really knows the truth about this disease and is completely aware of the thousands and thousands if not millions who have this disease.

Sometimes when people have to read True story's and accounts of what is really going on it can be mind opening. Currently mainstream doctors are told that Chronic Lyme does not even exist and that untreated Lyme can be easily treated with short courses of abx which we know it can't. We are also told that if the symptoms are still there then it's something else.

If there are only one or two who "may" be on our side, then I believe nothing will change.

Needless to say, I think now that these names are out for the public to see(they are on the IDSA public website), this panel will receive letters from those who believe in Chronic Lyme and those who don't. I am involved in a couple other sites and ppl are already talking about this and people are angry.

I do understand you point though.

This is just so very frustrating.

--------------------

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Robin,

Excellent point about the 10k cap and clinical treatment.

How can you really understand a disease if you can only treat up to 10k worth. For goodness sakes, one case could be that much in no time at all.

--------------------

lou
Member # 81

I would like to think that personal appeals to people on this panel would help to shape their views, but I don't. It has never had the slightest influence in the past with the IDSA, Wormser, Steere, Sigal. In fact, Steere showed such a letter to a journalist with the comment that the writer was mentally unbalanced.
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Lou,

Sadly but true, you are probably correct.

However, If Steere said that to about me, I would sue his bottom for slander.

I was just thinking that perhaps these new panelists who are getting into this mess presumably for the first time, would benefit from hearing true story's, but than again, we are talking about the IDSA [shake] [shake] [shake]

--------------------

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Okay, I found this very interesting and I agree we need to make sure we do our research for before we freak out right? Lets start with the first name on the list

Carol J Baker MD

I google her name and Lyme and up pops this. So you tell me what you think???? Click on the link and read the whole thing. Do you think she doesn't have a bias????

http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/105/1/142
located on the World Wide Web at:
The online version of this article, along with updated information and services, is
rights reserved. Print ISSN: 0031-4005. Online ISSN: 1098-4275.
Grove Village, Illinois, 60007. Copyright � 2000 by the American Academy of Pediatrics. All
and trademarked by the American Academy of Pediatrics, 141 Northwest Point Boulevard, Elk
publication, it has been published continuously since 1948. PEDIATRICS is owned, published,
PEDIATRICS is the official journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics. A monthly
Downloaded

--------------------

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Here's the abstract from my above post.

AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS
Committee on Infectious Diseases
Prevention of Lyme Disease
ABSTRACT. Lyme disease is currently the most frequently
reported vector-borne illness in the United
States, accounting for more than 95% of such cases. The
purpose of this report is to provide recommendations for
preventing Lyme disease, including the use of Lyme
disease vaccine. Individuals can reduce their risk of
Lyme disease by avoiding tick-infested habitats when in
endemic areas. If exposure to tick-infested habitats cannot
be avoided, individuals may reduce their risk of
infection by using repellents, wearing protective clothing,
and regularly checking for and removing attached
ticks. Morbidity from Lyme disease can be reduced significantly
by detecting and treating the infection in its
early stages; early and appropriate treatment almost always
results in a prompt and uncomplicated cure. A
Lyme disease vaccine (LYMErix, SmithKline Beecham,
Collegeville, PA) was licensed by the US Food and Drug
Administration on December 21, 1998, for persons 15 to
70 years of age. This vaccine seems to be safe and effective,
but whether its use is cost-effective has yet to be
clearly established. Use of this vaccine causes false-positive
enzyme immunoassay results for Lyme disease.
Lyme disease can be diagnosed in vaccinated persons by
immunoblot testing. Decisions about the use of this vaccine
should be based on an assessment of a person's risk
as determined by activities and behaviors relating to tick
exposure in endemic areas. This vaccine should be considered
an adjunct to, not a replacement for, the practice
of personal protective measures against tick exposure
and the early diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease.
CDC, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; DEET, n,ndiethyl-
m-toluamide; Osp, outer surface proteins; rOspA, recombinant
OspA; GMT, geometric mean antibody titer; ELISA,
enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
Lyme disease, a tick-borne zoonosis caused by
the spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferi, accounts for
more than 95% of the reported vector-borne
illness in the United States (Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention [CDC], unpublished data,
1998).1-3 Since national surveillance for Lyme disease
in the United States began in 1982, the number of
reported cases has increased about 25-fold, with a
mean of approximately 12 500 cases reported annually
between 1993 and 1997 (CDC, unpublished data,
1998).3 In the United States, more than 90% of the
cases of Lyme disease are reported from approximately
150 counties in 13 states located along the
northeastern and mid-Atlantic seaboard and in the
upper north-central region (CDC, unpublished data,
1998)3 (Fig 1). Persons of all ages are thought to be
equally susceptible to infection, but the highest reported
rates of Lyme disease occur in children 2 to 15
years of age and in persons 30 to 55 years of age and
older.3 The principal risk factor for acquiring Lyme
disease in endemic areas of the United Sates is residence
in suburban or rural areas that are wooded or
overgrown with brush and infested by infected vector
ticks.4,5 Most cases are believed to result from
periresidential exposure to infected ticks by persons
engaged in recreational, leisure, or property maintenance
activities.6-8 Persons who engage in recreational
activities away from home (eg, hiking, camping)
and in outdoor occupations (eg, landscaping,
forestry) also may be at increased risk of acquiring
Lyme disease.9-11
PREVENTION OF TICK BITES
The ticks that can transmit Lyme disease (Ixodes
scapularis, also known as the black-legged or deer
tick in the eastern United States, and Ixodes pacificus,
also known as the western black-legged tick in the
western United States) are found in wooded areas,
high grasses, marshes, gardens, and beach areas. In
endemic residential areas, clearing brush and trees,
removing leaf litter and woodpiles, and keeping
grass mowed may reduce tick exposure by removing
habitats suitable for ticks and their reservoir hosts.12
Area application of pesticides to residential properties
is effective for suppressing vector ticks but may
be harmful to other wildlife and people.13 Exclusion
of deer from residential yards by fencing and maintaining
tick-free pets also may reduce tick exposure.14
Heavily infested tick habitats, such as wooded
areas, should be avoided if possible. If not possible,
then use of wide trails, not straying off the trail, and
not sitting on the ground may decrease exposure.
Careful attention also should be given to clothing
worn in these areas. Clothing should be light-colored
to make tick identification easier. Long sleeves and
long pants that are tight at the wrists, ankles, and
waist, and long pants tucked into light colored socks
are preferable. A hat should be worn in densely
wooded areas.
Tick and insect repellents that contain n,n-diethylm-
toluamide (DEET) applied to the skin provide additional
protection but require reapplication every 1
to 2 hours for maximum effectiveness. Although serious
neurologic complications in children resulting
from the frequent and excessive application of
DEET-containing repellents have been reported, they
are rare, and the risk is low when these compounds
The recommendations in this statement do not indicate an exclusive course
of treatment or serve as a standard of medical care. Variations, taking into
account individual circumstances, may be appropriate.
PEDIATRICS (ISSN 0031 4005). Copyright � 2000 by the American Academy
of Pediatrics.
142 PEDIATRICS Vol. 105 No. 1 January 2000
Downloaded from www.pediatrics.org by on January 28, 2009
are used according to product label instructions.15-17
Therefore, DEET should be applied sparingly, according
to product label instructions, only to exposed
skin, and not to a child's face, hands, or skin
that is irritated or abraded. After the child returns
indoors, treated skin should be washed with soap
and water. Concentrations of DEET greater than 30%
usually are not necessary. Permethrin (a synthetic
pyrethroid) is available in a repellent spray for application
to clothing only and is particularly effective
because it kills ticks on contact.
Persons should be taught to inspect themselves
and their children's bodies and clothing daily after
possible tick exposure. Special attention should be
given to the exposed hairy regions of the body where
ticks often attach, including the heads and necks of
children.
Because animal studies indicate that transmission
of B burgdorferi from infected ticks usually requires a
prolonged duration of attachment ($48 hours), ticks
should be removed promptly.18,19 The body of the
tick should not be squeezed during removal. It
should be grasped with a fine tweezers as close to the
skin as possible and removed by gently pulling the
tick straight out without twisting motions. If fingers
are used to remove ticks, they should be protected
with gloves or facial tissue and washed after removal
of the tick. Analysis of ticks to determine if they are
infected is not indicated because the predictive values
of such tests in relation to the development of
human disease are unknown.
MANAGEMENT OF TICK BITES
In many areas of the United States, the economic
impact of inappropriate use of prophylactic antimicrobial
agents and serologic testing for Lyme disease
after deer tick bites has been substantial.20
Antimicrobial Prophylaxis
Routine use of antimicrobial agents to prevent
Lyme disease after a deer tick bite, even in highly
endemic areas, is not recommended because it is of
unproven value and is associated with potential risks
and costs.21-24 Most deer ticks (70%-80%), even in
highly endemic areas for Lyme disease, are not infected
with B burgdorferi,24 and the risk of infection
after a recognized deer tick bite in an endemic area is
estimated to be only about 1.4%.23 Furthermore, almost
all persons who become infected from a recognized
deer tick bite will develop erythema migrans at
the site of the bite, which is easily recognized and
diagnostic of early Lyme disease. Children with this
stage of disease can be treated easily and effectively
with little risk of long-term complications.25 Based on
current data, the risk of developing late Lyme disease
from a recognized deer tick bite that was not
treated with an antimicrobial agent and was not
followed by the appearance of erythema migrans is
extremely low.20 Three prospective controlled studies
comparing placebo and antimicrobial prophylaxis
management of tick bites have been unable to demonstrate
the effectiveness of antimicrobial prophylaxis
for preventing Lyme disease because of the low
risk of infection or disease.23 Because the majority of
tick bites are unrecognized, empiric therapy after
recognized tick bites is unlikely to reduce the overall
number of cases.22 Furthermore, the nature and duration
of a prophylactic regimen have not been established,
and prophylactic antimicrobial agents may
be associated with adverse reactions and increased
health care costs.
Serologic Testing
Serologic testing for Lyme disease at the time of a
recognized tick bite is not recommended.20 There is
little or no chance that a patient would have detect-
Fig 1. National Lyme disease risk map. For methods used for creating this map, see: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Recommendations for the use of Lyme disease vaccine: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1999;48(RR-7):21-24.
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS 143
able antibodies to B burgdorferi from a new infection
at the time of the tick bite, and antibodies present at
the time would likely represent a false-positive result
or evidence of an earlier infection. Although some
physicians obtain a serum sample at the time of a tick
bite and 6 to 8 weeks later for antibody testing to
provide reassurance in the absence of erythema migrans
and antibiotic therapy, this practice usually is
unnecessary, especially with evidence that the tick
was attached for less than 48 hours, and the results
may be misleading because of the inaccuracy of serologic
testing for Lyme disease in many laboratories.
There is a high probability of a false-positive
serologic test result for Lyme disease when the probability
of the presence of Lyme disease is low.26
LYME DISEASE VACCINE
Animal studies have demonstrated that purified
recombinant proteins, particularly of certain outer
surface proteins (Osp) of B burgdorferi, such as Osp
A, B, and C, induce antibody responses that are
highly protective.27 The most extensively studied of
the single Osp vaccines and the one currently licensed
contains recombinant OspA (rOspA), which
is highly protective in the mouse model when the
challenge strain is homologous or closely related to
the isolate from which the OspA was derived.28,29
However, when the challenge strain is different from
the isolate from which the OspA was derived, protection
to challenge is minimal or nonexistent.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
The rOspA vaccine seems to have a unique mode
of action.30 Antibodies directed against the OspA are
lethal to the organism, although the exact mechanism
by which the antibody kills B burgdorferi is unknown.
OspA is expressed by B burgdorferi residing in the
midguts of dormant ticks, but expression is later
downregulated in response to a blood meal.31 Therefore,
patients with natural B burgdorferi infection
have little exposure to OspA and minimal or absent
antibody responses to OspA. Data from animal models
suggest that protective OspA antibodies from the
immunized host destroy B burgdorferi in the midgut
of the tick, preventing transmission to the host. The
vaccine-induced protection thus occurs primarily before
the B burgdorferi enters the host.
Antigenic differences in OspA have been observed
between and within B burgdorferi genospecies, including
B burgdorferi sensu stricto, Borrelia afzelii, and
Borrelia garinii. In addition, strains with mutations,
frame shifts, or recombinations between OspA and
Osp B have been isolated. Therefore, there has been
concern that a single OspA antigen cloned from a
single isolate, may be insufficient to provide broad
cross-protective immunity, and it may be necessary
to use different OspAs in the development of vaccines
intended for use in North America and Europe.
27 However, the diversity of OspA among isolates
is greatest among European strains. Isolates in
the United States seem to be much more homogeneous,
suggesting that a single OspA antigen may be
sufficient for a vaccine in this country.
CLINICAL TRIALS IN HUMANS
Early clinical trials, including subjects with a history
of Lyme disease, demonstrated that rOspA was
immunogenic and well-tolerated.32 rOspA Lyme disease
vaccines have been produced by 2 manufacturers
and field tested for safety and efficacy in humans.
33,34 Both vaccines are made from a rOspA
expressed in Escherichia coli and purified. A lipid
moiety was added after translation. LYMErix (Smith-
Kline Beecham, Collegeville, PA) is prepared by using
the OspA gene from B burgdorferi and contains 30
mg of purified rOspA lipidated protein combined
with 0.5 mg of aluminum adjuvant. LYMErix is the
only licensed Lyme disease vaccine at this time. The
recommendations in the present statement apply
only to the use of LYMErix; supplemental information
will be provided as additional Lyme disease
vaccines are licensed. A vaccine produced by Pasteur
Me�rieux Connaught (Swiftwater, PA), ImuLyme,
contains 30 mg of purified rOspA lipidated protein
without adjuvant and is under review by the US
Food and Drug Administration.
ROUTE OF ADMINISTRATION, IMMUNIZATION
SCHEDULE, AND DOSAGE
Three doses of 0.5 mL (30 mg) of rOspA vaccine
administered by intramuscular injection are required
for optimal protection; the second dose is given 1
month later, and a third dose is given 12 months after
the first dose. Dosages should be timed so that the
second and the third doses are given several weeks
before the start of the Lyme disease transmission
season, which usually begins in April.
Preliminary data suggest that other immunization
schedules (eg, 0, 1, 6 months) are safe and induce
antibody responses similar to the 0, 1, 12 month
schedule.35 However, at this time, only the 0, 1, 12
month schedule is approved by the US Food and
Drug Administration.
EFFICACY
Steere and coworkers33 conducted a multicenter,
double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial
involving 10 936 subjects between 15 and 70 years of
age. LYMErix or placebo was administered at enrollment
and 1 and 12 months later. In the first year after
2 injections, the vaccine efficacy for preventing clinical
Lyme disease was 49% (95% confidence interval,
15%-69%). In the second year after the third
injection, the vaccine efficacy for preventing clinical
Lyme disease was 76% (95% confidence interval,
58%-86%). Serologic testing was performed on study
subjects at entry and 12 and 20 months later to detect
asymptomatic infections with B burgdorferi. The efficacy
of this vaccine for preventing asymptomatic
infection was 83% in the first year after 2 doses and
100% in the second year after 3 doses. There was no
evidence that the vaccine produced partial protection
or mild or asymptomatic disease that could be reactivated
later.36
IMMUNOGENICITY
In the study by Steere and coworkers,33 a subset of
adult subjects was evaluated longitudinally over 20
months for serum concentrations of anti-OspA anti-
144 PREVENTION OF LYME DISEASE
bodies. At month 2 (1 month after the second injection),
the geometric mean antibody titer (GMT) of
immunoglobulin G anti-OspA antibodies was 1227
enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) units
per milliliter. At month 12 (before the third injection),
the GMT was 116 ELISA units per milliliter. At
month 13 (1 month after the third injection), the GMT
was 6006 ELISA units per milliliter, but by month 20,
the GMT was 1991 ELISA units per milliliter. Although
not yet established, attempts are being made
to determine a correlate of protection.37
Whether protective immunity will last longer than
1 year beyond the month 12 dose is unknown. These
data suggest that boosters beyond the month 12 booster
may be necessary.33,37 However, additional data are
needed before recommendations about immunization
with more than 3 doses of rOspA vaccine can be made.
SAFETY
The rOspA vaccine seems to be safe. In the study
by Steere and coworkers,33 soreness at the injection
site was the most frequently reported adverse event,
reported without solicitation by 24% of the recipients
of vaccine and 8% of the recipients of placebo (P ,
.001). Redness and swelling at the injection site also
were reported in significantly more recipients of vaccine
(2%) than of placebo (1%). In addition, significantly
more recipients of vaccine than placebo reported
systemic symptoms (eg, myalgias, achiness,
fever, chills), but none of these symptoms was reported
by more than 3% of the subjects in either
group. These adverse reactions usually occurred
within 48 hours after immunization and lasted a
median of 3 days. The type and frequency of symptoms
30 days or more after the injections did not differ
significantly between recipients of vaccine and placebo.
Symptoms were usually mild or moderate in severity,
and the severity usually did not increase with subsequent
injections. No hypersensitivity reactions were
noted. There was no evidence that the rOspA vaccine
exacerbated prior Lyme arthritis, caused arthritis in
subjects with a history of Lyme disease or those without
such a history, or caused neurologic disease.
The possibility that a rOspA vaccine could predispose
to arthritis in selected persons with a genetic
predisposition to this disorder exists, but no evidence
of this effect has been noted. Approximately
10% of adults and fewer than 5% of children with
Lyme arthritis develop inflammatory joint disease
that does not respond to antimicrobial agents and
typically affects 1 knee for months to years.38,39 Because
of the increased frequency of certain HLA-DR4
alleles in these patients, an autoimmune mechanism
has been proposed. Gross and coworkers40 showed
that the immunodominant T-cell epitope of OspA
bound by the HLA-DRB1*0401 molecule was antigenically
cross-reactive with human leukocyte function-
associated antigen-1, which could be a potential
autoantigen. Persons with antibiotic treatment-resistant
Lyme arthritis generated responses to OspA,
human leukocyte function-associated antigen-1, and
their closely related peptide epitopes, supporting a
possible autoimmune mechanism involving OspA
antigen associated with B burgdorferi.
Arthritis occurred no more often in vaccine recipients
than in the placebo recipients, including patients
who had had Lyme disease and those who
carry the HLA DR4 allele, although the number of
such patients was limited. Thus, there is no evidence
that rOspA vaccine predisposes to chronic arthritis.
Safety and efficacy of rOspA vaccine has not been
established in persons older than 70 years of age or
younger than 15 years of age. Therefore, this vaccine
is licensed only for use in persons 15 to 70 years of
age. Studies are in progress to determine the safety
and immunogenicity of rOspA vaccine for children 5
to 15 years of age.41
DIAGNOSIS OF LYME DISEASE IN VACCINE
RECIPIENTS
Recipients of the rOspA vaccine have a positive
ELISA test result because whole-cell B burgdorferi is
used as the antigen. The interpretation of Western
immunoblot results are not affected by immunization
because antibody to specific protein antigens
allows identification of non-OspA antibodies, and
antibody to OspA is not part of the criteria for a
positive immunoblot result.42 Therefore, immunoblot
testing for non-OspA antibody reactivity is essential
for establishing or excluding the diagnosis of Lyme
disease in rOspA vaccine recipients.
COST-EFFECTIVENESS ANALYSIS
Although the cost of Lyme disease has been evaluated,
43 there are few published cost-effectiveness
analyses of using rOspA vaccines to prevent Lyme
disease. A recent analysis by the CDC indicates that
the cost of immunizing exceeds the cost of not immunizing
unless the incidence of Lyme disease is more
than 1% per year.44 This analysis did not consider the
costs of overdiagnosis and incorrect treatment of disorders
falsely attributed to Lyme disease. Most endemic
states and counties report Lyme disease incidence
rates that are well below 1% per year. However,
some studies suggest that only 10% to 15% of physician-
diagnosed cases of Lyme disease are reported to
state authorities in highly endemic areas.45,46
ASSESSING THE RISK OF LYME DISEASE
The decision to recommend Lyme disease vaccine
should be based on a determination of risk of being
bitten by tick vectors infected with B burgdorferi. This
likelihood is affected by the density of vector ticks in
the environment, the prevalence of B burgdorferi infection
among those ticks, and individual behavior.
The geographic areas of the United States with a high
density of infected vector ticks are concentrated
within a few northeastern and north-central states
(Fig 1). However, the risk of Lyme disease within
these states differs greatly, not only from one county
to another, but even within counties and townships.
Detailed information on the distribution of Lyme
disease risk within specific areas is best obtained
from local and state health departments. The accompanying
map (Fig 1) identifies counties as high, moderate,
low, or no risk for Lyme disease based on density
of infected vector ticks and reported human cases.
Activities that involve frequent or prolonged ex-
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS 145
posures to tick-infested habitats (eg, wooded, brushy,
or overgrown grassy areas) substantially increase risk.
Avoidance of tick-infested habitats and use of repellents
may substantially reduce risk. When preventive
measures have failed, morbidity from Lyme disease
can be reduced substantially by detecting and treating
persons with Lyme disease in the early stages.
Because of the limited time of exposure, travelers
to endemic areas generally are expected to be at lower
risk of Lyme disease than persons who permanently
reside in those areas. The desirability of immunization
for travelers to areas of high risk during Lyme disease
transmission season depends on the anticipated exposure
to vector ticks. Travelers may obtain some protection
from 2 doses of vaccine, but a full series of 3 doses,
beginning 1 year before anticipated exposure, is necessary
to achieve optimal protection.
The Lyme disease vaccine should be considered an
adjunct to, not a replacement for, the practice of
personal protective measures against tick exposure
and the early diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease.
Decisions about immunization to prevent Lyme
disease should be based on an assessment of risk of
exposure to infected ticks, use of personal protective
measures against tick bites, and vaccine efficacy and
costs. Lyme disease vaccine does not provide protection
against other tick-borne diseases.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PREVENTION OF LYME
DISEASE
1. Attempts to minimize exposure to vector ticks in
residential areas is encouraged. Heavily tick-infested
areas should be avoided, if possible. If not
possible, then personal protective measures (eg,
wearing specific types of clothing, use of repellents,
frequent checks for ticks), and early detection
and treatment of disease manifestations are
encouraged.
2. Routine use of antimicrobial agents to prevent
Lyme disease after a deer tick bite, even in highly
endemic areas, is not recommended. Serologic
testing for Lyme disease at the time of a recognized
tick bite also is not recommended.
3. Use of Lyme disease vaccine
a. The vaccine should be considered for administration
to the following persons who are 15 years of
age or older:
1) Those who reside, work, or recreate in geographical
areas of high or moderate risk (Fig 1)
and whose activities result in frequent or prolonged
exposure to vector ticks.
2) Those who visit geographical areas of high risk
(Fig 1) during the peak Lyme disease transmission
season and whose activities result in frequent
or prolonged exposure to vector ticks.
b. The vaccine may be given to persons who reside,
work, or recreate in geographical areas of high or moderate
risk and whose activities result in some, but neither
frequent nor prolonged, exposure to vector ticks.
However, the benefits of vaccine for these persons compared
with those of personal protective measures and
early treatment of Lyme disease are unclear.
c. The vaccine is not recommended for the following:
1) Those who reside, work, or recreate in areas of
high or moderate risk but who have minimal or
no exposure to infected ticks.
2) Persons who reside, work, and recreate in geographical
areas of low or no risk (Fig 1).
3) Children younger than 15 years of age until
data about the safety and immunogenicity of
this vaccine in this age group are available and
the US Food and Drug Administration has approved
the product for use in this age group.
d. Persons with a history of Lyme disease
Immunization should be considered for persons
with a history of Lyme disease who are at continued
high risk. However, persons with antibiotic treatment-
resistant Lyme arthritis should not be immunized
because of the association between this condition
and immune reactivity to OspA. Persons with chronic
joint or neurologic illness related to Lyme disease, as
well as those with second or third degree atrioventricular
block were excluded from the phase III safety and
efficacy trial, and, thus, the safety and efficacy of Lyme
disease vaccine for such persons is unknown.
e. Simultaneous administration with other vaccines
The safety and efficacy of the simultaneous administration
of rOspA vaccine with other vaccines have
not been established. Administration of rOspA vaccine
should not interfere with the administration of
routinely recommended immunizations. If rOspA
vaccine is to be given concurrently with other vaccines,
each should be administered in a separate
syringe at a separate site.
f. Persons with immunodeficiencies
Data are lacking on the safety and efficacy of rOspA
vaccines in persons with immunodeficiencies.
General guidelines for administration of inactivated
or subunit vaccines should be followed (see current
edition of the Red Book).
g. Vaccine use in pregnancy
Because the safety of rOspA vaccine administered
during pregnancy has not been established, immunization
of women known to be pregnant is not
recommended. A vaccine pregnancy registry has
been established by SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals.
In the event that a pregnant woman is
immunized, health care professionals are encouraged
to register this immunization by calling (800)
366-8900, extension 5231.
Committee on Infectious Diseases, 1998-1999
Neal A. Halsey, MD
Jon S. Abramson, MD
P. Joan Chesney, MD
Margaret C. Fisher, MD
Michael A. Gerber, MD
S. Michael Marcy, MD
Dennis L. Murray, MD
Gary D. Overturf, MD
Charles G. Prober, MD
Thomas N. Saari, MD
Leonard B. Weiner, MD
Richard J. Whitley, MD
Ex-Officio
Georges Peter, MD
146 PREVENTION OF LYME DISEASE
Larry K. Pickering, MD
Carol J. Baker, MD
Liaison Representatives
Anthony Hirsch, MD
AAP Council on Pediatric Practice
Richard F. Jacobs, MD
American Thoracic Society
Noni E. MacDonald, MD
Canadian Paediatric Society
Martin G. Myers, MD
National Vaccine Program Office
Walter A. Orenstein, MD
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Peter A. Patriarca, MD
US Food and Drug Administration
N. Regina Rabinovich, MD
National Institutes of Health
Ben Schwartz, MD
Consultant
Edward B. Hayes, MD
REFERENCES
1. Nadelman RB, Wormser GP. Lyme borreliosis. Lancet. 1998;352:557-565
2. Shapiro ED. Lyme disease. Pediatr Rev. 1998;19:147-154
3. Dennis DT. Epidemiology, ecology, and prevention of Lyme disease. In:
Rahn DW, Evans J, eds. Lyme Disease. Philadelphia, PA: American
College of Physicians; 1998:7-34
4. Falco RC, Fish D. Ticks parasitizing humans in a Lyme disease endemic
area of southern New York State. Am J Epidemiol. 1988;128:1146-1152
5. Maupin GO, Fish D, Zultowsky J, Campos EG, Piesman J. Landscape
ecology of Lyme disease in a residential area of Westchester County,
New York. Am J Epidemiol. 1991;133:1105-1113
6. Orloski KA, Campbell GL, Genese CA, et al. Emergence of Lyme disease in
Hunterdon County, New Jersey, 1993: a case-control study of risk factors
and evaluation of reporting patterns. Am J Epidemiol. 1998;147:391-397
7. Cromley EK, Cartter ML, Mrozinski RD, Ertel SH. Residential setting as
a risk factor for Lyme disease in a hyperendemic region. Am J Epidemiol.
1998;147:472-477
8. Lane RS, Manweiler SA, Stubbs HA, Lennette ET, Madigan JE, Lavoie
PE. Risk factors for Lyme disease in a small rural community in northern
California. Am J Epidemiol. 1992;136:1358-1368
9. Kitron U, Kazmierczak JJ. Spatial analysis of the distribution of Lyme
disease in Wisconsin. Am J Epidemiol. 1997;145:558-566
10. Schwartz BS, Goldstein MD, Childs JE. Antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi
and tick salivary gland proteins in New Jersey outdoor workers. Am J
Public Health. 1993;83:1746-1748
11. Smith PF, Benach JL, White DJ, Stroup DF, Morse DL. Occupational risk
of Lyme disease in endemic areas of New York State. Ann N Y Acad Sci.
1988;539:289-301
12. Schulze TL, Jordan RA, Hung RW. Suppression of subadult Ixodes
scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae) following removal of leaf litter. J Med Entomol.
1995;32:730-733
13. Curran KL, Fish D, Piesman J. Reduction of nymphal Ixodes dammini
(Acari: Ixodidae) in a residential suburban landscape by area application
of insecticides. J Med Entomol. 1993;30:107-113
14. Hayes EB, Maupin GO, Mount GA, Piesman J. Assessing the effectiveness
of local Lyme disease control. J Public Health Manage Pract. 1999;5:86-94
15. Centers for Disease Control. Seizures temporally associated with use of
DEET insect repellent: New York and Connecticut. MMWR Morb Mortal
Wkly Rep. 1989;38:678-680
16. Fradin MS. Mosquitoes and mosquito repellents: a clinician's guide.
Ann Intern Med. 1998;128:931-940
17. Brown M, Hebert AA. Insect repellents: an overview. J Am Acad Dermatol.
1997;36:243-249
18. Piesman J. Dynamics of Borrelia burgdorferi transmission by nymphal
Ixodes dammini ticks. J Infect Dis. 1993;167:1082-1085
19. Piesman J, Mather TN, Sinsky RJ, Spielman A. Duration of tick attachment
and Borrelia burgdorferi transmission. J Clin Microbiol. 1987;25:557-558
20. Fix AD, Strickland GT, Grant J. Tick bites and Lyme disease in an
endemic setting: problematic use of serologic testing and prophylactic
antibiotic therapy. JAMA. 1998;279:206-210
21. Magid D, Schwartz B, Craft J, Schwartz JS. Prevention of Lyme disease
after tick bites: a cost-effectiveness analysis. N Engl J Med. 1992;327:534-541
22. Dennis DT, Meltzer MI. Antibiotic prophylaxis after tick bites. Lancet.
1997;350:1191-1192
23. Warshafsky S, Nowakowski J, Nadelman RB, Kamer RS, Peterson SJ,
Wormser GP. Efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis for prevention of Lyme
disease. J Gen Intern Med. 1996;11:329-333
24. Shapiro ED, Gerber MA, Holabird NB, et al. A controlled trial of
antimicrobial prophylaxis for Lyme disease after deer-ticks bites. N Engl
J Med. 1992;327:1769-1773
25. Gerber MA, Shapiro ED, Burke GS, Parcells VJ, Bell GL, and the Pediatric
Lyme Disease Study Group. Lyme disease in children in southeastern
Connecticut. N Engl J Med. 1996;335:1270-1274
26. Seltzer EG, Shapiro ED. Misdiagnosis of Lyme disease: when not to
order serologic tests. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1996;15:762-763
27. Wormser GP. Lyme disease vaccine. Infection. 1996;24:203-207
28. Fikrig E, Barthold SW, Kantor FS, Flavell RA. Protection of mice against
the Lyme disease agent by immunizing with recombinant Osp A. Science.
1990;250:553-556
29. Schaible UE, Kramer MD, Eichmann K, Modolell M, Museteanu C,
Simon MM. Monoclonal antibodies specific for the outer surface protein
A (OspA) of Borrelia burgdorferi prevent Lyme borreliosis in severe
combined immunodeficiency (SCID) mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.
1990;87:3768-3772
30. de Silva AM, Telford SR III, Brunet LR, Barthold SW, Fikrig E. Borrelia
burgdorferi OspA is an arthropod-specific transmission-blocking Lyme
disease vaccine. J Exp Med. 1996;183:271-275
31. Schwan TG, Piesman J, Golde WT, Dolan MC, Rosa PA. Induction of an
outer surface protein on Borrelia burgdorferi during tick feeding. Proc
Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:2909-2913
32. Schoen RT, Meurice F, Brunet CM, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of
an outer-surface protein A vaccine in subjects with previous Lyme
disease. J Infect Dis. 1995;172:1324-1329
33. Steere AC, Sikand VK, Meurice F, et al, and the Lyme Disease Vaccine
Study Group. Vaccination against Lyme disease with recombinant Borrelia
burgdorferi outer-surface lipoprotein A with adjuvant. N Engl J Med.
1998;339:209-215
34. Sigal HL, Zahradnik JM, Lavin P, et al, and the Recombinant Outer-
Surface Protein A Lyme Disease Vaccine Study Consortium. A vaccine
consisting of recombinant Borrelia burgdorferi outer-surface protein A to
prevent Lyme disease. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:216-222
35. Van Hoecke C, Lebacq E, Beran J, Perenti D. Alternative vaccination
schedules(0, 1, 6 months versus 0, 1, 12 months) for a recombinant OspA
Lyme disease vaccine. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;28:1260-1264
36. Steigbigel RT, Benach JL. Immunization against Lyme disease: an important
first step. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:263-264
37. Parenti DL, Gillet M, Sennewald E, et al. Correlate of protection for
Lyme disease (LD) using LYMErix recombinant adjuvanted Borrelia
burgdorferi outer surface lipoprotein A (L-OspA) vaccine. In: Program
and abstracts of the 36th Annual Meeting of the Infectious Diseases
Society of America; November 12-15, 1998; Denver, CO. Abstract 704
38. Steere AC, Levin RE, Molloy PJ, et al. Treatment of Lyme arthritis.
Arthritis Rheum. 1994;37:878-888
39. Gerber MA, Zemel LS, Shapiro ED. Lyme arthritis in children: clinical
epidemiology and long-term outcomes. Pediatrics. 1998;102:905-908
40. Gross DM, Forsthuber T, Tary-Lehmann M, et al. Identification of
LFA-1 as a candidate autoantigen in treatment-resistant Lyme arthritis.
Science. 1998;281:703-706
41. Feder HM, Beran J, Van Hoecke C, et al. Immunogenicity of a recombinant
Borrelia burgdorferi outer surface protein A vaccine against Lyme
disease in children. J Pediatr. 1999;135:575-579
42. Zhang YQ, Mathiesen D, Kolbert CP, et al. Borrelia burgdorferi enzymelinked
immunosorbent assay for discrimination of OspA vaccination
from spirochete infection. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:233-238
43. Maes E, Lecomte P, Ray N. A cost-of-illness study of Lyme disease in
the United States. Clin Ther. 1998;20:993-1008
44. Meltzer MI, Dennis DT, Orloski KA. The cost effectiveness of vaccinating
against Lyme disease. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999;5:321-328
45. Coyle BS, Strickland GT, Liang YY, Pena C, McCarter R, Israel E. The
public health impact of Lyme disease in Maryland. J Infect Dis. 1996;
173:1260-1262
46. Meek JI, Roberts CL, Smith EV, Cartter ML. Underreporting of Lyme
disease by Connecticut physicians, 1992. J Public Health Manage Pract.
1996;2:61-65
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS 147
DOI: 10.1542/peds.105.1.142
Pediatrics 2000;105;142-147
Committee on Infectious Diseases
Prevention of Lyme Disease
& Services
Updated Information
http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/105/1/142
including high-resolution figures, can be found at:
Supplementary Material
http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/105/1/142/DC1
Supplementary material can be found at:
References
http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/105/1/142#BIBL
at:
This article cites 44 articles, 24 of which you can access for free
Citations
s
http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/105/1/142#otherarticle
This article has been cited by 5 HighWire-hosted articles:
Subspecialty Collections
http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/collection/office_practice
Office Practice
following collection(s):
This article, along with others on similar topics, appears in the
Permissions & Licensing
http://www.pediatrics.org/misc/Permissions.shtml
tables) or in its entirety can be found online at:
Information about reproducing this article in parts (figures,
Reprints
http://www.pediatrics.org/misc/reprints.shtml
Information about ordering reprints can be found online:

--------------------

lou
Member # 81

Think you should send this to Lorraine. Her position on false positives and on a vaccine that harmed some people should be relevant to her ability to sit on the panel.
lymeloco
Unregistered

Dr.William A. Charini, is an infectious disease doctor. How is that not a conflict?
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Yes, I agree Lou I will send this on to Lorraine..

Although this is an old abstract, this harmed people and now this same person is going to decide how I am supposed to be treated???

Dr. Carol Baker was also the president of the IDSA in 2001 I believe.

--------------------

lymeloco
Unregistered

http://www.idsociety.org/Content.aspx?id=13310
lou
Member # 81

Most of these people are associated with infectious diseases and many have Harvard and Yale ties. I see little chance that they are going to give the medical literature a fair hearing and it is most unlikely that they treat chronic lyme disease.

So, anyone out there that has dug up prejudicial info on any of these people should be sure to send it on to lorraine, who is gathering it:

[email protected]

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

This is from the Lahey Clinic in Massachusetts. Dr. Chirini is an Infectious Disease Doctor there. I will send this on too.

This one will make your hand stand up on your neck!!!

http://www.lahey.org/Medical/InfectiousDiseases/LymeDisease.asp

--------------------

lymeloco
Unregistered

Not sure if this is THE panelist, but found this info. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_pnav/is_200208/ai_2433531980/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1
lymeloco
Unregistered

http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians/20080716102425303
lymeloco
Unregistered

http://id.im.wustl.edu/faculty/medoff.html
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I do not know anything specific about the doctor listed from Duke, Duke in general has been extremely anti-Lyme. I got into a heated editorial exchange with a Duke ID doctor who decided to take exception to a short article in a newspaper advising area residents to beware of Lyme Disease (which was actually a little AP article like you see all the time in newspapers). An editor loved the exchange and ended up assigning a reporter to do a story. The reporter did a 2 page article, pics and all, and featured the stories of area Lyme patients.

If you called Duke ID department to this day and ask if they treat Lyme Disease, they would say "no" and refuse to schedule an appointment.

That being said, I will see if I can find any info on this Duke doc.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

http://www.idsociety.org/Content.aspx?id=11848
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting ... provided he isn't a "plant" from the powers that be at Duke. Looks promising, as long as he is able to offer HIS OWN opinion and not the opinion of OTHERS. Look at the title of the article listed at the end .. interesting - a comparison of malaria and babs. Gotta look that one up.

Paul M. Lantos, MD
Departments / Divisions:
Medicine / General Internal Medicine
Hospital Medicine / Duke Hospital Medicine Program
Pediatrics / Infectious Diseases
Address:
DUMC 100800
Durham, NC 27704

Office Telephone:
919-681-8263

Fax Telephone:
919-668-5394

Training:

MD, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, 2000

Residency:

Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, 2004

Fellowship:

Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Children's Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School (Massachusetts), 2007

Clinical Interests:
Hospital medicine, consultative general internal medicine for inpatients, medical education, tropical medicine and international health, malaria and other parasitic diseases, tick-borne diseases such as Lyme disease, mosquito-borne diseases such as encephalitis

Research Interests:
Tropical and parasitic diseases, travel medicine, mosquito-borne diseases (including malaria, dengue, and encephalitis), tick-borne infections (including babesiosis, Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and ehrlichiosis), HIV / AIDS, infections in immunocompromised hosts, and general infectious diseases of newborns and children.

Representative Publications:
Krause PJ, Daily J, Telford SR, Vannier E, Lantos P, Spielman A. Shared features in the pathobiology of babesiosis and malaria. Trends Parasitol. 2007 Dec;23(12):605-10. (2007) Abstract

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes sense, don't put any experts on the panel.

Ya think they lined up a bunch of dermatologists for the panel for the American Heart Assoc? Now THAT would cause a public outcry.

What a shame... esp with the possible new health care system coming in, LLMD's will have even less leverage, if any at all.

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll spend the next few weeks researching each physician and organizing a summary report, as well as references to the sources in order to confirm their positions and bias.

One name at a time isn't too hard to do. I just spend two days doing each one, and I can probably go over just about everything.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

I'm reviewing RateMD.com too because I'm finding patient reports. They are a sign of the physicians quality of care and methodology.

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

if you want background on these panel folks, go to ACTIVISM and read lynn shepler's post!! informative!!

many conflicts of interest and being IDSA members as well as infectious drs! [toilet] [tsk] [puke]

Tincup
Member # 5829

Wow.. you guys are great!

Look at all this come together, plans and ideas! I am overwhelmed!

I've been back and forth reading your comments all day.. and can't address everything tonight of course.. I am SO exhausted.... but..

I got a call a couple of hours ago... and there will be a press release coming out in the next day or two (if all goes well).. and some ideas on what can be done to get the most bang for our buck.

Some actions are NOT recommended.. for a bunch of good reasons.. and some are thought to be better for the cause.

Right now I was told that contacting the AG or the omnebudsman thingy, is not the best idea. There are good reasons that I will share more about later.

Your choice as to what you want to do though... but I am going to wait till all the big whigs have what they need (research/info) to make the best informed decisions.. and share that info before I take action.

BTW- I told them of your work here... and said it was bountiful to say the least! They were impressed and WILL be wanting it for review. So don't quit researching and posting.

Dig baby dig. [lol]

Thoughts are right now that someone will be collecting your research as it comes to light (assuming you don't mind of course)... and then a BIG fat letter will be headed to those who will hopefully pay attention and those who should see it.

I'd chat more but I am past ready to drop.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Briannh
Member # 17555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Briannh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by liesandmorelies:
This is from the Lahey Clinic in Massachusetts. Dr. Chirini is an Infectious Disease Doctor there. I will send this on too.

This one will make your hand stand up on your neck!!!

http://www.lahey.org/Medical/InfectiousDiseases/LymeDisease.asp

I am in the process of filing a complaint against the lahey clinic ID dept. for their false advertising of being a Lyme competent hospital and that i was turned away despite being very ill with Lyme disease.

I will spare all the detail but i was seen on November 10th very sick with a positive Lyme test from Quest. i was told their stand is that anyone that takes 20 days of doxy should be cured of Lyme period, and if symptoms persist after that, than it is something other than lyme.

They ran no tests of their own, did nothing. This delayed me getting proper treatment and as a result i got sicker.

ETA: They all work as a team there. In addition, the Dr I saw at the lahey warned me that if i saw a particular well known LLMD in mass, that i would be seriously harmed by his treatment.

Posts: 14 | From NH | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Here is more information on Paul Lantos. Dr. Lantos wrote a chapter discussing his experiences that led him to medicine and the mini-bio is in-depth and personal. He is the survivor of holocaust victims from his family, and is quite impressive in his desire to help people.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7792510/what-i-learned-in-medical-school

From everything I've gathered so far,

Baker is biased and Pro-IDSA, - Her stance on vaccination with Lyrix as well as pro-vaccination in other areas is clear. She has led conferences which discussed "Lyme Disease physicians who treat patients for years with Ceftriaxone, and the societies conflicts associated with this group. She has published numberous reports on the government pub-med database indicating her position on duration of tick attachment, the effectiveness and accuracy of Western Blot and Assay, as well perpetually indicating that the bullseye rash is nearly always present, and if it is not, then Lyme Disease is not of concern.

Lantos is Unbiased, -- History of intense interest in vector borne diseases of all types, ranging from tropical diseases: malaria, etc, through Lyme Disease and tick-born infections. His history suggests a personal desire to help people, and he has an intense interest in protecting and healing children.

Charini is Pro-IDSA. Patient reports indicate that he's a semi-effective clinician who sometimes hits and misses with his patients. Most patients however would not recommend him to their family members.

Manuel Moro, DVM, MPH, Ph.D. appears to be pro ILADS, with fundamental research and discussions at lectures alongside multiple researchers who have discovered aspects of Lyme and co-infections that cause Chronic Disease and persistent.

I'm going to collect all the sources and piece together and summarize why it is clear they are leaning to one side or the other, or are center and unbiased.

These are very vague reports. I am only searching for names, addresses, phone numbers, specialities, and interests right now. I am not researching indepth, so any information is things I stumbled across "before" I've actually started digging for actual facts.

--------------------

Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, we should talk! After all, look at my signature!

I've talked to many patients in the past few years have been neglected by the doctors at Lahey; some cases were incredibly negligent.

Even when found positive by EM (rash) and blood tests, patients wil get a few weeks of doxy; sometimes four weeks.

I've written the CEO there complaining about the specifics -- but nothing changed. I did get a nice letter from their "patient advocates" explaining their concerns...but the neglect continues.

It is very interesting how much detail Lahey puts on their web site now - complete with photographs of infected blood cells! Very odd, given their crappy diagnostics and treatment guidelines.

Sorry to hijack the thread. PM me if I can help.

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

WOW!!!!

I think I opened pandoras box. I agree with Tincup that we should sit tight and keep digging. Get our ducks in order.

It's amazing what you can find when you look through the magnafying glass.

You guys are the best.

Sometimes I sit here with this disease and the whole thing seems so sureal. I can't believe that we have to deal with all this nonsense let alone the symptoms of this horrible disease to boot.

I am encouraged by what I am seeing here though.

--------------------

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Ok, I'm almost done with the summary list. It was actually easy to get most of their e-mail addresses and positions, but now the hard part is documenting "everything" to prove it, which will take days.

Weinstein is perhaps the most outspoken of the new panel regarding his bias. On so many levels he's expressed the standard IDSA perspective. However, it's the dogmatic way in which he expresses it which clearly indicates his mind has already been made up, regardless of the research indicating otherwise.

He said this on the New York Medical College website:

"Over the years, testing for Lyme has become controversial, which disturbs Dr. Weinstein. Since he was a member of the committee that developed the standards for Lyme testing--now referred to as the Dearborn criteria and used throughout the nation--he is especially perturbed when the tests are maligned as unreliable. "What is unreliable is the interpretation of results by doctors and patients," he claims. "A patient can have nine negative tests and then one positive one and the diagnosis is mistakenly confirmed...The best test would be to culture the bug, like you do for a urinary infection. But the Lyme bug is slow growing and you have to decide whether to treat or not before the culture is finished. Besides, the lab test to grow the bug is not very sensitive and too many patients have negative cultures of the skin or blood for it to be a routine test."

Then he says:

But overall, 70 to 80 percent will have a positive test one to two months after being infected, says Dr. Weinstein, and in late Lyme arthritis, the test is virtually always positive months after the infection.

The studies he performed: Double Blind Placebo trials referenced and relied heavily on panelist members research from the "Prior IDSA" panel. He also worked with Mark S. Klempner, M.D on a major NIH study well known, extremely well known to be a pro-IDSA advocate.

He also worked with Yale-New Haven Hospital in Connecticut (Janine Evans, M.D. She was involved in studies referenced by the IDSA in creating their guidelines. A study called:

The consequences of overdiagnosis and overtreatment of Lyme disease: an observational study. Ann Intern Med 1998; 128:354-362.

She was also involved in another study used by the IDSA panels original guidelines called:

Two controlled trials of antibiotic treatment in patients with persistent symptoms and a history of Lyme disease. N Engl J Med 2001; 345:85-92.

I also found this -- just for kicks, on the IDSA guide site. They sure do spend a lot of time trying to get Chronic Lyme Disease laws blocked.

Advocacy Efforts

IDSA Sends Letter Opposing Lyme Disease Legislation in House and Senate 3/21/2008

IDSA Members Testify before the Pennsylvania House Health and Human Services Committee on Appropriate Treatments for Lyme Disease 11/15/2007

IDSA Sends Letters to the NGA and NCSL Regarding Problematic Lyme Disease Legislation 08/07/2007

IDSA Urges the Massachusetts Joint Committee on Public Health to Oppose House Bill 3768 07/12/2007

IDSA Sends Letter Urging Maine Legislators Urging to Invite Board-Certified ID Physicians to Testify at Lyme Disease Hearing 07/03/2007

IDSA Sends Letter Urging Rhode Island State Senators to Amend Joint Resolution 5676 06/19/2007

IDSA Urges Pennsylvania State Senators to Oppose Enactment of Lyme Disease Legislation 04/10/2007

IDSA Sends Letter to Educate Members of Congress on our Lyme Disease Guidelines 01/07/2007
Articles

IDSA Stands Up For Lyme Disease Guidelines Summer 2007

IDSA Releases Updated Lyme Disease Guidelines Fall 2006

IDSA Works to Inform Public About Lyme Disease Summer 2006

[ 01-29-2009, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: METALLlC BLUE ]

--------------------

lymeloco
Unregistered

http://www.ncrr.nih.gov/comparative_medicine/contacts.asp
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

yes metallic,

I noticed the same thing. The IDSA is doing everything to block these bills. They will never admit they were wrong and are all covering their butts. WHY????

Instinctively, I do beleive the only way in the long run that we will win this is to go around them. The more and more ppl that get on board with what we are trying to do will really help.

Also, it's funny that Weinstein does not tell the truth about the nine tests that are negatvie. Those are usually the 9 that are the baisic elisa(they don't do the western blot) unless the basic is positvie and lets not even talk about all the bands they removed. why did they remove those? GEEZ

Good work!!!!

--------------------

lymeloco
Unregistered

http://www.dhmc.org/webpage.cfm?site_id=2&org_id=68&morg_id=0&sec_id=0&gsec_id=679&item_id=679
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Additional news. Both Gerald Medoff and Carole Baker were given Mentor Awards by the IDSA in 2008.

--------------------

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I also find this process to be a travesty.

Who will be testifying at the hearings? Do we know how many ILADS MD's will be testifying?
Can we testify???? How are the people testifying chosen??

It is vitally important that alot of solid information is presented showing how many people have required long term Rx to recover.

In reading the review information on the IDSA site it says, "IDSA guidelines-like all medical societies' guidelines-are voluntary.They are for the benefit of physicians seeking the best possible advice from experts in the field."

Now, I ask you...how can the guidelines contain the best possible advice from experts in the field if they are not set by THE BEST EXPERTS IN THE FIELD....notably the MD's who treat thousands of lyme patients???

If the MD's who treat the most patients are not highly involved in the process and not included on the panel who votes on all changes, then the chances of getting the best advice from the best experts is very low.

It also says in the IDSA article that Howard Brody, MD PhD was jointly selected by the Office of the AG and IDSA as an Ombudsman. He will have a LIMITED role focusing on screening potential conflicts of interest. He will have no involvement in the operation of the panel. Only ONE person with a LIMITED role, will focus on screening for conflicts of interest!!!

It seems that the IDSA president has already determined that questions about the guidelines will be put to rest. He says so in the article!!

He also writes that, "The IDSA Lyme disease guidelines recommend against long-term antibiotic therapy, an unproven and potentially dangerous treatment. A small group pf physicians outside the medical mainstream and their patients endorse such long-term treatment, despite the compelling medical evidence that it is ineffective and can have serious life threatening complications-and, furthermore, is extremely expensive."

Now...doesn't that just get your dander up???

A small group of physicians and patients...?????

They need to see all the signatures of all the LLMD's and their patients, and they need to hear our voices!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We must find the best and most effective way to make sure that we are all heard....especially lots of testimony from LLMD's who have treated thousands of us!!!

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

wow, you folks have been busy researching!! what a team effort.

tc, i edited my other post removing comment about contacting ombudsman, etc. BEFORE you posted latest news here from shiela....

Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa!

I feel like someone that has had a piece of candy

Dangled in front of my face,

Only to be eaten by the one holding it! [Mad]

Is this panel just another front for the ongoing

Monopoly of the Holier Than Thou IDSA and Insurance companies?

It makes me sick. [puke]

I am ready and willing to take whatever actions necessary

To thwart this mockery of an "objectve" panel.

I will continue to watch and monitor.

I am looking forward to taking action when the time is deemed right.

(We shouldn't have to). [cussing]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement