LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lumbar Puncture Pressure Confusing for Diagnosis - Anyone???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lumbar Puncture Pressure Confusing for Diagnosis - Anyone???
Paul M in MA
Member # 14630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul M in MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

As with many Lyme patients my daughter has had a continuous headache for almost 2 years now.

Earlier this week her opthamologist detected that she has swollen optic discs (papilledema) in both eyes using a special machine.

He and her neurologist concluded that high intracranial pressure was causing the headache but her lumbar puncture today showed her opening and closing pressures to be in the normal range. (15 and 12 respectively)

Now the doctors are at a loss as to what's causing the headache.

She was being treated with IV anti-biotics up until this past week but they gave her no relief.

Has anyone has swelling of the optic nerve as a symptom along with an unrelenting headache and if so did you find any meds that helped you get relief?

Thanks very much, Paul.

Posts: 80 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul,

Has your daughter tried Diamox, Lasik or Methazolamide?

Did you daughter have any reduction in her headache after the LP? For my kids, it would take a couple of days to feel a difference.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul M in MA
Member # 14630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul M in MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi pab,

My daughter was admitted to the hospital late this afternoon because her headache got so much worse after the LP which was done early this morning.

The increase in the headache happened almost immediately following the LP (within 15 mins).

It's not postional either as the doctors thought it should be. She has the screaming headache whether she laying down or upright.

Last week she took Diamox for 1 day and stopped because we found out the LP was scheduled and the doctor didn't want the results altered by the med so she stopped.

But for that 1 day the pain in her eyes was reduced so it must have been doing something.

Because her pressure came out normal the doctor doesn't believe the Diamox or Methazolamide will be of any benefit since these are used to reduce eye and I think head pressure.

She has some Diamox from about a year ago so we're going to try it when she gets home.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone has had normal CSF pressure but benefitted from Acetazolamide or Methazolamide.

Thanks, Paul.

Posts: 80 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Acetazolamide for 2 weeks, but it dehydrated me to the point that it made me feel awful so I stopped taking it. My headaches were not what you would call severe, but LLD says all Lymies have swelling in the brain and this was an attempt to help with that and hopefully reduce other symptoms as well. I did not have a LP.

We are all different, so this drug could be just the one for your daughter. It is supposed to reduce fluid around the brain. For me, it reduced fluid in my entire body and left me feeling worse than before I took it.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please get your daughter tested and checked for common tick borne co-infections.

Babesia, Bartonella -- these will cause head aches and will not be cured with the same antibiotics that kill Lyme.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All--
I would look into Babs - it caused me Killer
migraines and pain behind my eyes-

Once my babs was treated my migraines stopped ---Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a lumbar puncture a few weeks ago and it caused increased inflammation throughout my body.

I did have increased headaches but mine did subside a bit when I'd lie down. I hope that your daughter is feeling better soon! Please keep us posted.

--------------------
Lisa D

Posts: 103 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul M in MA:
Hi pab,

My daughter was admitted to the hospital late this afternoon because her headache got so much worse after the LP which was done early this morning.

The increase in the headache happened almost immediately following the LP (within 15 mins).

It's not postional either as the doctors thought it should be. She has the screaming headache whether she laying down or upright.

Last week she took Diamox for 1 day and stopped because we found out the LP was scheduled and the doctor didn't want the results altered by the med so she stopped.

But for that 1 day the pain in her eyes was reduced so it must have been doing something.

Because her pressure came out normal the doctor doesn't believe the Diamox or Methazolamide will be of any benefit since these are used to reduce eye and I think head pressure.

She has some Diamox from about a year ago so we're going to try it when she gets home.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone has had normal CSF pressure but benefitted from Acetazolamide or Methazolamide.

Thanks, Paul.

Paul,

How is your daughter doing now?

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My headaches went away after babesia treatment.

However, lyme is well known to cause optic nerve and other ocular problems. Here are a few of the articles published on the subject. Can read abstracts for them at pubmed website.

1:

[Lyme disease--case report]

Nicula C, Stanila L.

Oftalmologia. 2008;52(1):54-8. Romanian.

PMID: 18714491 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2:

Optic neuropathy from viruses and spirochetes.

Bhatti MT.

Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2007 Fall;47(4):37-66, ix. Review. No abstract available.

PMID: 18049280 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3:

[Onset of Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy in association with borreliosis]

Macarez R, Bazin S, Lagauche D, Soulli� B, Giordano P, May F, Guigon B.

J Fr Ophtalmol. 2005 Dec;28(10):1095-100. French.

PMID: 16395203 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Free article at journal site

4:

Isolated optic nerve lymphoma diagnosed by optic nerve biopsy.

Behbehani RS, Vacarezza N, Sergott RC, Bilyk JR, Hochberg F, Savino PJ.

Am J Ophthalmol. 2005 Jun;139(6):1128-30.

PMID: 15953457 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

5:

Lyme disease presenting with persistent headache.

Moses JM, Riseberg RS, Mansbach JM.

Pediatrics. 2003 Dec;112(6 Pt 1):e477-9.

PMID: 14654649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

6:

[Isolated intracranial hypertension due to Lyme's disease]

Abadie I, Marc E, Bursztyn J, Assous M, Gendrel D.

Arch Pediatr. 2003 Sep;10(9):791-3. French.

PMID: 12972207 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

7:

Ocular Lyme borreliosis.

Colucciello M.

N Engl J Med. 2001 Nov 1;345(18):1350-1. No abstract available.

PMID: 11794163 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8:

Optic neuropathy in children with Lyme disease.

Rothermel H, Hedges TR 3rd, Steere AC.

Pediatrics. 2001 Aug;108(2):477-81.

PMID: 11483820 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

9:

Optic nerve lesion following neuroborreliosis: a case report.

Burkhard C, Gleichmann M, Wilhelm H.

Eur J Ophthalmol. 2001 Apr-Jun;11(2):203-6.

PMID: 11456029 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

10:

Neuroretinitis.

Ray S, Gragoudas E.

Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2001 Winter;41(1):83-102. Review.

PMID: 11198149 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

11:

Optic neuritis in children.

Morales DS, Siatkowski RM, Howard CW, Warman R.

J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2000 Sep-Oct;37(5):254-9.

PMID: 11020105 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

12:

[Pars plana vitrectomy in Borrelia burgdorferi endophthalmitis]

Meier P, Blatz R, Gau M, Spencker FB, Wiedemann P.

Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd. 1998 Dec;213(6):351-4. German.

PMID: 10048013 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

13:

[Ocular and neuro-ophthalmologic involvement in borreliosis]

K�smann-Kellner B, Ruprecht KW.

Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd. 1998 Sep;213(3):aA12-4. German. No abstract available.

PMID: 9793907 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

14:

Bartonella henselae neuroretinitis in cat scratch disease. Diagnosis, management, and sequelae.

Reed JB, Scales DK, Wong MT, Lattuada CP Jr, Dolan MJ, Schwab IR.

Ophthalmology. 1998 Mar;105(3):459-66.

PMID: 9499776 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

15:

[Acute Borrelia infection. Unilateral papillitis as isolated clinical manifestation]

Pradella SP, Krause A, M�ller A.

Ophthalmologe. 1997 Aug;94(8):591-4. German.

PMID: 9376700 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

16:

The ocular manifestations of Lyme disease.

Zaidman GW.

Int Ophthalmol Clin. 1997 Spring;37(2):13-28. Review.

PMID: 9269595 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

17:

[Clinical manifestation and diagnosis of ocular borreliosis]

Biziorek B, Zag�rski Z, Jedrzejewski D, Haszcz D.

Klin Oczna. 1997;99(2):129-32. Polish.

PMID: 9379664 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

18:

Chiasmal optic neuritis in Lyme disease.

Scott IU, Silva-Lepe A, Siatkowski RM.

Am J Ophthalmol. 1997 Jan;123(1):136-8.

PMID: 9186116 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

19:

Optic disk edema with a macular star.

Brazis PW, Lee AG.

Mayo Clin Proc. 1996 Dec;71(12):1162-6. Review.

PMID: 8945487 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

20:

Neuroborreliosis with retinal pigment epithelium detachments.

Koch F, Augustin AJ, B�ker.

Ger J Ophthalmol. 1996 Jan;5(1):12-5.

PMID: 8646173 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

----------------------------------------------

Here is the pubmed website url:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that lumbar punctures create a path for CSF and its contents to leak into other parts of the body? Capa, is that what you were implying? If so, that's a scary but interesting thought. [Eek!]

That said, once the bugs are in the CSF, the nasties can execute their biological program and set up shop for the long term.

[Frown]

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another possible approach might be to try Benicar. This blood pressure med is a strong cerebral vasodilator and supposedly has anti-inflammatory effects.

5 mg 2 times per day 9a very low dose) stopped hubby's headaches and significantly reduced tremors and myoclonus. He does have some side effects from the lower blood pressure but for now this med seems to be helping him.

He tried another similar B.P. med -- Atacand -- but it did not work nearly as well and he ended up in the ER within a week. Insurance does not want to pay for the Benicar but his LLMD has been able to give us samples for now.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul M in MA
Member # 14630

Hi All,

Thanks very much for the great replies. I'm going to review the info tomorrow when I'm more awake.

The screamer of a headache caused by the LP subsided after 3 days but she had to be on some really strong pain killers.

Her headache is back to its normal, constant 8 or 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Her spinal fluid was tested for Lyme but came back negative. We're still waiting on the tests for the co-infections. I know just because the test came back negative doesn't mean it's negative.

I'm going to talk with the neurologist who ordered the test and see what the specifics are. Did they find anything but not enough to call it a positive. I'll have to find out.

Does anyone know what kinds of tests they do on the CSF for Lyme? Is it the same or similar to what they do for blood? Do they test for the protein bands such as with the Western Blot test?

Even though her LP pressure came back in the normal range I'm still thinking it's a pressure thing because she's always saying it's a "pressure" headache.

She had an old prescription for Acetazolamide available, so we started her on that. It's eliminated the pressure she was feeling in her eyes but has not touched the headache yet.

She just started it 3 or 4 days ago so maybe it will help if she continues taking it.

To tolerate the headache she has to take strong pain meds which prevents her from driving or working or going to college. Most symptoms have resolved except for the headache.

Hopefully the Acetazolamide will be the answer. I'm going to try and get a prescription soon for Methazolamide but her neurologist had never heard of the medicine. I was a bit shocked at that. He said he would look it up.

Thanks again everyone for the great info. I really appreciate it. Paul.

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme testing in CSF rarely comes back positive even when the patient clearly has lyme. This is why most LLMDs don't recommend it.

Don't know what kind of tests your docs will run, kinda depends on how lyme literate they are.

Have heard of PCR testing being done on CSF.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou is correct -- the most common Lyme test using CSF is a PCR test. Have heard that only 6% or so test positive by PCR.

If her pressure is normal I suspect a diuretic will not be of much help. Rather than her entire brain being swollen as would be the case with either encephalitis or meningitis, it may simply be a bloodflow issue where the capillaries are constricted. Could be caused by inflammation or due to the way Lyme affects the sodium/calcium channels.

If a diuretic or vasodilator does not help a 3rd option would be low dose Lyrica -- this seizure med is supposedly a calcium channel blocker for the brain.

Has she ever had a SPECT scan -- that test would probably be very helpful in this situation.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This kind of never-freaking-ending headache often means babesia. I would try testing/treatment. Don't wait for a neurologist to mention it - won't happen. I used Relpax (sparingly), it was about the only thing to touch it. I hope she finds relief but if she has babesia, treatment for it is the only thing that will help - and it will get worse before getting better. But take heart - it DOES get better.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to add- Topomax -- taken at night prophylactically - helps the head pain somewhat.

Get a complete copy of the lumbar puncture report -- other things may be off besides pressure. Elevated proteins are a common finding with lyme/co-infections and other values may be skewed, indicative of blood/brain barrier compromise.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement