LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How to get Deep Sleep?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to get Deep Sleep?
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have searched the topics and most of them seem to be based on insomnia, getting to sleep, or staying asleep.

Well, my problem is that I feel like I go to sleep but I never have ever waken up refreshed.

So, 3 years ago I had a sleep study and last week I had another one. They both show the same thing. I am alseep within 12-20 minutes.

However, I did not ever get one minute of Stage 3/4 REM stage sleep. I think that is why I am so tired and the lyme gets me down, I don't think I have ever "really" slept.

Is there a fix to this?? I don't have sleep apnea, or restless leg syndrome, but I do snore. So, they are referring me to an ENT to get a fix for snoring. And, I don't snore loudly enough to wake up the house, but the Neuro said that with me being tired for this long, we need to turn over every rock we can. So, he even admits stopping the snoring may not cure the sleep issues.

Thanks for the help,
Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had a sleep study, but I am wondering.... did the doctor that gave you the test suggest any remedy other than seeing an ENT?

My psychiatrist mentioned it might be something for me to do, but I am not sure about it. If they can't cure me, then I am not sure I want to do it.

My LLMD has me take Cortisol Manager in the morning and the evening.

My psychiatrist prescribes Lexapro and Trazodone. These three things work pretty well. I think I went about 15 - 20 years only getting an hour or two of sleep a night before.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Will they give you a CPAP machine for night? Many find that helps tremendously.

------

Something here may be of interest:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77321

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements

========

For women, menopause can really affect insomnia:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77129

Topic: Women over 35: Hormones (Oprah's recent programs)

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has a sleep ap machine I could try. Because he refuses to wear it. But, I think the pressure is set pretty high. I guess it is worth a try.

I take Natural Cortisol during the day, but I haven't heard about the cortisol manager....is it herbal or medicinal??

At night I take Ambien, Flexeril (he just gave me a new extended release form - just costs more) and clozenpam. They just keep adding meds because I tell them I am so tired.

Supposedly all of my tests are normal, but we all know how that goes.

Anymore suggestions?

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your cortisol levels tested by way of a saliva test? You shouldn't be taking cortisol

without a doctor's supervision and without testing. If you are taking too much that could be keeping you up.

I found that 200mg of 5HTP, 3mg of melatonin and 2mg of Klonopin worked very well for me and put me into very deep sleep.

But if you have high cortisol levels in the evening when they are supposed to taper down it will be difficult to get any sleep.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Well and during the day, I am just dragging. Barely getting by. The best time of my day is from say 7pm to 10 pm.

Then, when I lie down, it is the only time I feel like my heart is racing. Ugh, I just wish I could get this stuff under control.

Shalome

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had a sleep study last year.
My doctor put me on neurontin for deep sleep. It also has pain relieving properties.

I take klonopin for anxiety, but it also helps me to fall asleep.

I do feel more rested with the neurontin.

It also comes in an equally effective generic called gabapentin, which is less expensive. Hope you get some rest.

Life is miserable without it.

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tale buckets of melatonin at bed time. Chamomile, Valerian...

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey try this. my doc gave me 10 of elavil. it's an old tricyclic given for depression but at low doses helps with sleep tremendously.

i take it about 7, to to bed about 9 or 10 and sleep until 8-9 in the morning. and i mean deep sleep.

it's been a godsend for me, really.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement