LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Monolaurin is a miracle!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monolaurin is a miracle!
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swine flu health immune support nutrient, monolaurin from coconut oil: where to find information

http://tinyurl.com/rxjpxy

April 27, 11:13 AM

On pages 81, 82, and 87 of the book, The High Blood Pressure Hoax, by Sherry A. Rogers, M.D. (2005) I read several interesting sections on how monolaurin has been "able to dissolve the protective mebrane from 14 types of human viruses."

One of those 14 viruses mentioned in the physician's book is the flu virus. Another source on swine flu breaking news is the Scence Insider blog on science agencies reporting the latest news on swine flu that's not in the usual mass media.

Here are the results of some studies on monolaurin and flu viruses as well as other viruses. Can monolaurin, a nutrient from coconut oil, lauric acid (that you can buy online or in a health food store) also dissolve the swine flu virus?

Check out the lauric.org site at the Center for Research on Lauric Oils, Inc. Lauric acid also is found in mothers milk.

A sentence on page 82 of The High Blood Pressure Hoax notes, "Monolaurin actually disintegrates the lipid envelope or membrane of viruses, destroying their main defense."

Rogers cites the study, "In vitro effects of monolaurin compounds on enveloped RNA and DNA viruses," by Hierholzer, JC, Kabara, JJ. Journal of Food Safety, 4:1, 1982.

It's the lauric acid in monolaurin that binds to the virus's lipid (fat)-protein envelope. That's how monolaurin inactivates the virus. You see, monolaurin binds to the membrane that covers the virus and prevents the virus from 'uncoating.'

At this point, there's no way the virus is able to reproduce itself. The shell or "viral envelope" of the virus is disintegrated. Now the virus can no long get into more of your cells or attach. The virus's envelope is gone.

According to page 82 of Dr. Roger's book titled, The High Blood Pressure Hoax, "two capsules of monolaurin (300 mgs) are often taken three times a day at the first sign of infection and continued for a few days or weeks until the virus is completely gone."

Dr. Rogers cites as her resources (on page 91 of her book) the Hierholzer, Ismail-Cassim, Sands, Karbara, and Boddie studies.
Look at the scientific journal research article titled, Monolaurin and Superstrain Infections.

Read the full study, Characterization of Monolaurin Resistance in Enterrococcus Faecalis. (2007, American Society for Microbiology).

Monolaurin, a food grade glycerol monoester of lauric acid, has been reported to have the greatest antimicrobial activity of all of the monoglycerides (50). This product comes from coconut oil and is said to be effective against the flu, but not against the common cold.

See one of several videos on the anti-viral properties of coconut oil from which monolaurin is made.

What else can it do or can't do? The study suggests that "monolaurin requires access to the cytoplasmic membrane and/or the cytoplasm to exert its antimicrobial activity."

See the Byron J. Richard's Wellness Resources site, for information on how to use monolaurin.

This coconut-oil derived fatty acid is backed by a significant body of research showing, according to the Byron J. Richard's Wellness Resources site that it "can help to support your immune system in a wide variety of circumstances, and even helps keep your own cells healthier while reducing the toxic burden associated with immune system battles.

See the article and description of studies on using monolaurin to destroy viruses at Monolaurin - A Natural Immune Boosting Powerhouse, Friday, October 31, 2008 - Byron J. Richards, CCN.

Monolaurin is sold online at Life Extension Foundation and at numerous other online vitamin and nutrient sellers.

Monolaurin kills flu viruses as well as the Epstein-Barr virus, named as the culprit in chronic fatigue syndromel, by turning the fatty coat of both the flu and Epstein-Barr viruses into a liquid and then flushing which then disintegrates the bits of virus partaicles that had been inside their fatty shells or membranes that had enveloped those viruses.

Viruses can lived in your stored fat and in the fat in your liver. Monolaurin, according to studies is supposed to be effective against these viruses by breaking down the shell, membrane, or outer wall of the viruses so that they are chopped into bits, turned to liquid, and eventually are removed from your body.

According to the article on monolaurin at the Wellness Resources site, "Monolaurin is one of the most popular nutrients to assist in combating various viruses. It is believed to work by interacting with the lipids and phospholipids that form the envelope of the virus, causing it to weaken or disintegrate."

Research suggests that monolaurin offers some degree of immune support for the influenza virus and also following viruses, according to the article and description of studies on using monolaurin to destroy viruses at:

Monolaurin - A Natural Immune Boosting Powerhouse, Friday, October 31, 2008 - Byron J. Richards, CCN:

* Human immunodeficiency virus HIV-1, HIV+
* Measles virus
* Herpes simplex virus-1
* Herpes simplex virus-2
* Herpes viridae (all)
* Human lymphotropic viruses (type 1)
* Vesicular stomatitis virus
* Visna virus
* Cytomegalovirus
* Epstein-Barr virus
* Influenza virus
* Pneumonovirus
* Sarcoma virus
* Syncytial virus

At the Avian Flu Talk Forum, one study mentioned at that site showed that while monolaurin was effective against cytomegalovirus it was not effective against the common cold, which is caused by rhinoviruses.

According to the study mentioned at the Avian Flu Talk Forum, "there are many anecdotal reports of monolaurin helping combat the flu."

Monolaurin has antiviral properties that allows its use without significant toxicity. No significant abnormalities have been noted in liver enzymes, leukocytes, red cells, hematocrit, hemoglobin, or platelets with Monolaurin therapy.

A suggested Monolaurin dosage is 6 (300-mg) capsules daily on an empty stomach (20 minutes before or 2 hours after a meal).

In your research, first look at the The Big Picture Book of Viruses so you can read a description of the flu virus.

Then click on the article at the Web Shop Emporium. Read about monolaurin there. Also see the Health Care Industry site articles.

Monolaurin may stop the flu virus before symptoms appear and is also helpful at breaking the shell of the virus that causes chronic fatigue syndrome (the Epstein-Barr virus).

Monolaurin is made from lauric acid and is a patented ester of lauric acid.

The lauric acid in monolaurin that you buy from a supplements store or online comes from coconut milk.

Lauric acid also is found in mothers milk. According to the Health Care Industry article, "Monolaurin possesses anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-protozoal and anti-bacterial properties.

It has been found to destroy lipid coated viruses such as the flu, HIV, HHV-6 (strains A and B), EBV, CMV and h.pylori to name a few. It may also be helpful in improving the immune system's anti-inflammatory response. "

You take it at the first sign of any symptoms of flu such as the beginning of a sore throat or uneasy breathing or at the time you're exposed to people with the flu virus.

For example, when you come in to work or have to stay in a crowded place, exposed to people with flu symptoms such as coughing on public transportation, in theaters, markets, schools, or other places where people gather indoors.

At the Avian Flu Talk Forum, according to the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients article titled, "Antiviral intervention for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", monolaurin has been shown to be "active against influenza virus, pneumovirus, paramyxovirus (Newcastle), morbillivirus (rubeola), coronavirus (avian infectious, bronchitis virus), herpes simplex I & II, CMV, EBV, and HIV.

They state that it is also effective against yeast and fungi, staphylococcus aureus and streptococcus agalactiae, chlamydia trachomatis, candida albicans, giardia lamblia, ringworm, H. pylori and gonorrhea."

Also, according to the Avian Flu Talk Forum, "Monolaurin (Glycerol Monolaurate) Chemically, Monolaurin is a monoglycerol ester of the saturated fatty acid lauric acid.

Lauric fatty acids are present in many animals and plants and possess broad-spectrum activity against fungi and viruses.

Lauric acid is also present in human adipose tissue, urine, milk, and amniotic fluid; cow's milk, butter, margarine, and in palm-kernel and coconut oil. Esterification of lauric acid with glycerin yields compounds more active than the fatty acid alone."

In previous research studies, "Monolaurin had virucidal activity against 14 human enveloped RNA and DNA viruses. Monolaurin removed all measurable infectivity by disintegrating the viral envelope as evidenced by electron micrographs.

By disrupting the conformation of the lipid bilayer (or the envelope), Monolaurin prevents viral attachment to susceptible host cells. Viruses that contain an envelope are termed enveloped , whereas those that lack an envelope are referred to as naked ."

The study noted that, "DNA viruses (including herpes viruses) have a loose, outer envelope, which contains lipids. RNA viruses are similar in that they have a double outer envelope or bilayer which contains essential lipids and glycoproteins structurally embedded in this envelope."

The term virucidal, means to have virus-killing ability. The act of making fat or oil (lipids) soluble in water (or liquids) is called solubilization.

That study noted, "Solubilization of the lipids and phospholipids in the envelope are key mechanisms by which Monolaurin's virucidal activity is expressed.

It was calculated that Monolaurin had a >99.9% success rate against all 14 viruses tested." This means in plain language that monolaurin has the ability to kill the 14 viruses tested.

Monolaurin is called a virustatic agent. What virustatic agents do is "directly block the replication of viruses." The good thing is that monolaurin doesn't let you develop any type of drug resistance.

So you can use it over and over again to fight flu viruses without a prescription. According to the study abstract noted at the Avian Flu Talk Forum, "Monolaurin alone has no effect on lymphocyte or macrophage functions.

What monolaurin actually does is to "potentiate immunological events initiated by other triggering agents (mitogens, antigens, phagocytic stimuli, and lymphokines). "

I couldn't find the actual Website or the title of the study described as, Cohen et al. 1977; Sands et al. 1979; Kabara, 1980; Kohn et al. 1980, to read the study or validate the excerpt described at the Avian Flu Talk Forum.

What clues I found at the Avian Flu Talk Forum is the excerpt that is posted up there that states that, "Monolaurin is regarded as a virustatic.

Virustatic agents directly block replication of viruses, so there is no subsequent development of drug resistance, but do not kill the virus. Monolaurin is effective against HSV-1 and -2, EBV, and CMV (which share lipid envelope characteristics)."

The authors of the monolaurin study noted at the Avian Flu Talk Forum are noted as: (Cohen et al. 1977; Sands et al. 1979; Kabara, 1980; Kohn et al. 1980).

See if you can track down this study. In the meantime, I do have monolaurin in the home for the past year in case any family member comes down with the symptoms of a mild case of the flu, as perhaps, a first line of defense.

Watch the videos below and keep on reading the studies. It's possible that the monolaurin you buy from health food stores or online if you check out the quality and standardization, may help you in your fight against viruses without harming the good bacteria your body uses.

According to the Center for Research on Lauric Oils, Inc., press release of August 1, 1999, "fatty acids in coconut have always been found to both raise the HDL levels and improve the total cholesterol to HDL ratio, both of which are desirable, and (ii) these saturated fatty acids significantly lower the levels of the undesirable lipoprotein."

Here are some monolaurin-related research studies for you to read online or in your local university library that are cited on page 91 of The High Blood Pressure Hoax by Sherry A. Rogers, M.D.

Boddie, RL, Nickerson, SE, Evaluation of postmilking teat germicides containing Lauricidin, saturated fatty acids, and lactic acid. Journal of Dairy Science, 75: 6: 1725-30, 1992.
Hierholzer, JC, Kabara, JJ, In vitro effects of monolaurin compounds on enveloped RNA and DNA viruses, Journal of Food Safety, 4:1, 1982.
Ismail-Cassim, N. et al, Inhibition of the uncoating of bovine enterovirus by short chain fatty acids, Journal of General Virology, 71: 10: 22 83-9, 1990.
Karbara, Lipids as host-resistance factors in human milk, Nutrition Reviews 38:65, 1980.
Sands, J, et al. Extreme sensitivity of enveloped viruses, including Herpes Simplex, to long chain unsaturated monoglycerides and alcohols, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 15; 1:67-73, 1979.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://cpmedical.net/articles.aspx?ProdID=art6372&zTYPE=2

Monolaurin

Lauric acid was discovered as the most active antiviral and antibacterial substance in human breast milk.

Monolaurin is the glycerol ester of lauric acid and is more biologically active than lauric acid.

Monolaurin has been shown to be active against (in vitro): Influenza virus, Pneumovirus, Paramyxovirus (Newcastle),

Morbillivirus (Rubella), Coronavirus (Avian Infectious, Bronchitis virus), Herpes simplex I & II, CMV, EBV, HIV, Measles, Leukemia virus, Simliki forest virus, HPV, Visna virus, Vesicular stomatitits virus, Respiratory syncytial virus, Dengue virus (type 1-4), and Lymphocytic choriomeningitis.

It is effective against Gram Positive Bacteria including:

Anthrax, Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, Groups A, B, F, & G streptococci, Streptococcus agalactiae, Mycobacteria Clostridium perfringens and

Gram Negative Bacteria including:

Chlamydia pneumonia, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, H. pylori, Mycoplasma pneumonia, and Vibrio parahaemolyticus.

It has also been shown to be effective against yeast, fungi and molds including Aspergillus niger, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Ringworm/Tinea, Malassezia species, Penicillium citrinum, and Candida utilis.

A number of protozoa like Giardia lamblia are also inactivated or killed by Monolaurin. Monolaurin acts by disrupting the lipid bylayer of the virus.

It prevents the attachment to susceptible host cells. Research has suggested that monolaurin is virucidal and bactericidal by solubilizing the lipids and phospholipids in the envelope of the pathogen causing the disintegration.

Recent evidence has also indicated that the antimicrobial effect is related to its interference with signal transduction in cell replication.

It prevents the uncoating of viruses necessary for replication and infection and removes all measurable infectivity by directly disintegrating the viral envelope making the virus more susceptible to host defense.10

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had great results using monolauren for over 1 year, and reduced EBV and other Virus loads.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nyjohn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyjohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when it means 6 capsules,

does that mean 6 pellets or 6 scoops?

thank you!

--------------------
do your best to educate the rest because
9 out of 10 doctors don't know jack about tick borne illnesses

Posts: 437 | From shawangunk mountains, ny | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

nyjohn- I'm not sure. I have the kind with the scoop. I started out slow since I believe if can make you herx. I think I started with about 1/4 scoop, then worked it up.

I'm taking 1 scoop a day now. I may need more but I'd have to do some testing or medical dowsing to see if I need to change the dosage. I always test that I need it.

I didn't think about it much so I decided to do some reading about it. It's really some great stuff.

lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What brand do you use Sparkle and where do you get it from?

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read this research too. Sounds very promising from all reports I have read they are having great results.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

I use the original form - Lauricidin. That's the company of the guy who discovered it. Some people feel that the generic form is fine but I'm not sure.

Do a search on google for Lauricidin or monolaurin. I don't want anyone to say I'm recommending a product for profits. I don't sell this product.

zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much benefit can be derived by just eating coconut oil??

--------------------
"Be it, don't dream it." -Dr. Frank-N-Furter

http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/zombie_mummy

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zombie_mummy:
How much benefit can be derived by just eating coconut oil??

Never mind -I think I found the answer here-

Lauricidin� vs Coconut Oil
The Million Dollar Question--Does coconut oil have antimicrobial properties?

Coconut oil is one of nature's highest sources of lauric acid. It's reported to contain up to 40-50%. Another natural source of lauric acid is found in mother's milk. So, if you eat coconut oil, are you getting the same immune-boosting effects that mother's milk has proven to give babies? All this discussion about coconut oil having antiviral and antibacterial properties started with the research of Dr. Jon J. Kabara.

The Answer

Unfortunately, these discussions has been started and continue on the Internet by scientists who have not done any original research in this area. Remember what Vladimir Lenin said ``A lie told often enough becomes truth''. And so it is with the disinformation found on the Internet on this subject.

Dr. Kabara's research showed that in order to have antimicrobial and immune-boosting properties, the fat in coconut oil and mother's milk has to be broken down into free fatty acids and monoglycerides BEFORE you digest them.

THE FATS IN COCONUT OIL AND MOTHER'S MILK ARE PER SE NOT ANTIMICROBIAL

When babies get mother's milk, the milk contains an enzyme that breaks down the fat into free fatty acids and monoglycerides prior to infant digestion. Coconut oil does not contain this enzyme and therefore little if any monoglycerides are absorbed as such into the body.

Current data shows that if your body does convert virgin coconut oil (VCNO) into monolaurin, you might get less than 1% monolaurin.

Dr. Kabara believes that you need a minimum of 3-9 grams per day of the pure monolaurin (Lauricidin�) to have any health benefits. This is approximately equal to 300 to 900 grams of coconut oil per day. This is a gigantic amount and you'll probably get sick or diarrhea from this much coconut oil.

Using modest amounts of coconut oil to eat, cook or bake is healthy because of its low calories per gram, but the jury is still out on it's role as an effective antiviral when eaten.

http://www.lauricidin.com/lauricidin_coconut.asp

--------------------
"Be it, don't dream it." -Dr. Frank-N-Furter

http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/zombie_mummy

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nyjohn,

They're referring to 6 capsules of monolaurin (300 mg. each), not the Lauricidin brand. So - 600 mg 3x/day.

1 scoop of Lauricidin is 3 grams (3000 mg) of monolaurin.

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Source Naturals makes a capsule form of coconut oil. (Softgels):

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1841/

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement