LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » York Co., PA Commissioner steps down because of Lyme!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: York Co., PA Commissioner steps down because of Lyme!
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard this on the news this evening.

York County Commisioner Chris Riley is stepping down from his position because he was diagnosed with Lyme.

He said he wanted to make a public announcement about his condition to raise awareness of the disease--kudos to him!!!

He said that he got the disease about a week ago while on a fishing trip, and he's on antibiotics for the next month.

He's not sure when he'll return to his position, he says whenever he feels better.

That's about all they said on the news report, which I thought was a little sketchy for someone who wants to raise awareness.

My husband commented on his wanting to wait till he feels better before returning to work--he asked if it's possible to be *that sick* after being infected only a week ago.

I said I wasn't sure; I just wonder if maybe he wasn't infected before and he's just now getting symptoms.

I'll have to go onto the news site and see of they post anything on this story.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting. If you find out anything more, please let us know.

I, too, am wondering if a person can get so sick in one week. That is horrible. I guess I did not realize how quickly this disease can take over.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think within the first month a person can feel very sick. Not sure about 1 week. Lyme is a slow growing bacteria. Certain co-infections could make a person feel very sick right away.

Seems strange to step down from a job like that after only one week of being sick. Especially if you plan to only be on short term abx and believe the IDSA - full cure in less than a month. Why wouldn't you expect to be back at work if you expected a quick, full cure?

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme2health
Member # 19981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there are coinfections, especially an encephalitic virus, you can be darn sick in one week. Happened to me.

It's completely different from the slow, downward spiral commonly associated with lyme. We need to get the word out about all the different symptoms and cases possible with these tick borne illnesses to break stereotypes and educate everyone. I wasn't diagnosed for a long time because I didn't have the classic "slow" lyme.

Posts: 62 | From U.S. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to get a link to the story, but my computer locks up every time I get on the news site.

As expected, nothing more has been said about it on the news.

I guess I should send something out right to that Commssioner so he's fully aware of what he could be dealing with.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They guy may have been re/further-infected too, lyme can go sorta dormant where you get mild symptoms and then something super stressful or a re-infection can really wake it up.

If the guy is an outdoorsman he has prolly had prior exposure.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of someone who went to the ER while on vacation, after a tickbite. But my case took a month before there were symptoms, and two years before the roof fell in. So, apparently it can vary a lot. Not sure how reinfections figure in.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

thx for posting; glad he went public; that will help too.
wishing him the best [Smile] xox

Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Finally got on the news site.

Here's the link, for what it's worth.

http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/0609/63268.5.html

bettyg
Unregistered

starfall, link doesn't work .... but thx [Smile]
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Well, just heard on the news tonight he's back to work already, says he's doing better.

I didn't hear much of what little they said, but that was the jist of it.

Sorry about the link--I have more trouble with their news site than they're worth....

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's a nice recovery!! [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement