LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ppl with dogs who have lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ppl with dogs who have lyme
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you ever see a symptom of panting at odd time?

like in the middle of the night, when he was sleeping in a cool room?

i have noticed he is slowing down. he getsmore winded on walks and sometimes asks to come home early. then it might take him awhile to calm down.

if that was only it i'd think it was age(11)

but he wakes up in the middle of the night-pants uncontrollable-and looks at me like he is scared.

he has had lyme and been treated his whole life.

i wonder if it is in hi heart or lungs...not sure if i can feel heart palps on him-don't know what normal heart rate and resp rate is for a 20 lb schnauzer

anyway-any help apprecieated

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could he be having a mild seizure? It is common for seizures to occur while sleeping.

The few seizures my dog has had happen while he was asleep. He woke up panting and looking at me...his eyes wiggled back & forth sideways (like the cat clock".

They weren't gran mal but seizures nevertheless.
He needed to go out and urinate soon after.

They were so infrequent I chose not to put him on the meds for them...once you start can't stop.

It's been about 6 months since he's had one.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is probably worth a trip to the vet.

I have had one dog with Lyme so far (not bad out of 7).

She had panting, but she also was lame/paralyzed in one front

And in one back leg (different sides).

She is also one anxious little girl.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is he still being treated for Lyme? Maybe it's time to re-start treatment?

I, too, think it's worth a trip to the vet, if you can make that happen easily.

Without that trip, you'll likely spend some time worrying, and it would be worth the peace of mind to know that you've investigated the cause.

My old boy had Lyme and was treated off and on throughout his life, too.

Panting in the middle of the night, in a cool room, was not unusual for him either. He did that frequently. Your post brings back a lot of memories.

Will it make you feel better to know that he had this panting symptom for maybe 5 years? Whatever the cause, it didn't seem to be seriously impairing his quality of life.

My guy passed away not too long ago - at the old age of 16, not bad for a big 100 pounder with almost life-long Lyme.

Hoping that your guy is soon feeling better,
Cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good idea to visit the vet.

my dog has grand mal seizures, but sometiemes she has the petit kind that you may be describing. Does she ever seem to have tics or shiver?

Have you tried calendaring to see when your dog is affected most? I found that every 4 days after Interceptor my dog seized. Heartworm medicine is one of the worst offenders.

Also, flea and tick meds can make doggies seize.

Some other things that can make your dog sick:
eucalyptus oil
rosemary oil (in some dog foods)
artificial colors and preservatives
yard chemicals
home cleaning chemicals
insecticides like cutters

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now i'm crying. i guess its relief. i love him so much and have vowed not to let him live in the pain i am in.

he isn't lame-never was. but he slowed down...couldn't jump in car or on couch anymore. i knew when he was in real pain and txed him. usually a couple of times a year.

after his 5th lyme vaccine shot-he and his brother were paralyzed from the waist down for 24 hrs. it was awful-they didn't know what was going on and kept trying to move. the first thing was falling off the couch when they thought they were jumping.

no more lyme vaccine for us.
i tell ppl this when ever i get the chance

anyway-i did give him both heart worm and bio spot about the 6th-aand yes i notice he gets worse after them. at one point i was separating giving the meds by 2 weeks-but got off schedule and it is a bad time of yr here now for ticks and mosquitoes

cactus-thank you for sharing. your post helped me the most-knowing i probably am not crazy thinking it is lyme.

and everyone else who talked about siezures...i have been wondering. yes-he has many strong tics...(and shivers)-often whole body...often when sleeping...when i mention it to vet or othere person they all say it is just that thing dogs do when we see them "running " or barking in their sleep...but i know dogs and i know this is different.

my vet is sort of lyme literate-not really-his wife just got lyme and babs and has decided to follow"traditional"tx...altho i know he was tring to get her to open up ...his ppl doc friends have let him know how bad lyme is around here

he will want to send blood (i hope) cuz it is impossible to get urine for that 2nd tier lyme test-he was pos on heart worm test-but always is and i think always will be. my last vet -in an even more endemic area-who knew him since he was a puppy and gave the vaccine that paralyzed him...(she felt awful)-she would give me doxy whenever i wanted...for him...but this new guy has to run the expensive tests and dribble out 20 pills at a time....grrrrrr. but i guess i have to deal with it.

even yesterday he was playing in the yard likea puppy-we had been gone for about 5 hrs and he was acting crazy cuz we came back...but i notice when he does that if i don't stop him soon he pays for it later. but he did feel like playing-so i have hopes the end is not near.

cactus-i can't tell you how much it helped to hear you say 5 yrs...

oh-man am i rambling huh? when i said he wasn't lame i meant in front. a few yrs ago he became "wobbly" behind. that is the actual dx. i know he probably has disk degeneration in low back from lyme or nerve involvment like bells palsy in ppl- they want to do a 1400. mri to see if he needs a 10,000. surgery. i just can't-and whatever it is isn't progressing very fast. sometimes he trots along totally normal...he usually collapses on quick turns.

so-we'll go to vet. i actually can start him on doxy first...does anyone understand that 2nd test? the one they send away. i think it gives you a titre.

thanks all. (this is why i am still afraid to buy a horse...i'm getting ready to lease again tho)

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about your fur kid. I'm convinced that my yellow lab died from lyme.

You wrote:
but this new guy has to run the expensive tests and dribble out 20 pills at a time....grrrrrr. but i guess i have to deal with it.

Someone (I think cave) mentioned that you can get it at some of the local feed stores - animal/farm type places. You can probably buy it online without a prescription.

Following are some links that I've saved over the years for our animal friends who have TBI's. Maybe something there will be helpful to you.

http://saluqi.home.netcom.com/ticklinks.htm

http://www.minden.com/nowhereelse/canine_tick_disease.htm

http://www.dogsandticks.com./

A Diagnostic Support System for Veterinary Medicine
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultant/Consult.asp

Hope your doggie starts to feel better soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thanks terry. i have enough to start him and i have to be very careful cuz he has gi trouble with abx (his brother died form it after surgery)

so hopefully all witll go well

thanks for info and for caring...

--------------------

plutok
Member # 20881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plutok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog has been panting a lot at night the last month or so. He also seems more anxious. I took him to the vet and a few blood tests run and his liver enzymes were up but that is all that showed.

I never thought about lyme for him. Does anyone know if the testing for dogs is different/better than for people?

Posts: 9 | From colorado | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctak
Member # 21292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog passed in February, weather his issues were from lyme or not I do not know as I never had an MRI done, but it was definitly neurological; their guess was brain lesion. My dog did go through times in his life when he would pant at night, and he did have lyme which was treated for twice. The panting did stop upon treatment. Old dogs can also pant due to axiety or distress and there's actually a name for it "Cognitive Dysfunction".
Posts: 3 | From Tolland, CT | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement