LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ibuprofen or acetaminophen... ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ibuprofen or acetaminophen... ?
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning I woke up feeling like I lost a sparring match with Tyson. I have no clue why, but am guessing it has to do with my constant coughing over the last 6 days do to poor air quality (wildfires and repaving asphalt fumes)and too much exertion(asthma issues).

Most aches usually subside w/in an hour or two, but this is getting progressively more annoying.

Anyway, I have a few hours of computer time left to do before I can zone out completely, so need something to ease the pain w/out causing mental fog.

I've read what I can on-line re: OTC pain relievers. It seems opting for Ibuprofen over Aspirin, is the choice... but is it also the choice over Acetaminophen? Fortunately, there is no headache involved.

I can't find any med interactions, but know that they are sometimes hidden. Currently on Doxy, Zith, Lunesta, Benadryl, Albuterol, and supps of L-glut and Seriphos. I think that's it.

I'm already queasy...

Thanks so much in advance!
M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find 800mg Ibuprophen better than tylenol.

I think you will find it mostly opinion.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Miss Merry... hope you are doing well?
Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your welcome! I am doing ok! Miss our talks
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too sweetheart, you know where to find me, if needed, right? [Smile]
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Here's another question... why is it that our chest discomfort always manifests on the left side?
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ibuprofen..I have had excruciating pain and of all the rx's ibuprofen helps the most.

The chest pain thing in the beginning for me had doctors scrambling that I had a heart problem because it was so deep and so intense on the left side it radiated deep right through to my left shoulder blade, numbness in fingers and hands,etc., mimicked heart attack. Then all that pain spread throughout my body after cortisone shots and things haven't been the same since.

It is odd how LD chooses a side - mostly the left side - in me too.

Hope you feel better.

Hugs,
Dana

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acetaminophen does nothing for me, Ibuprofen is much more effective. It reduces pain and inflammation.

When I have chest pain it is also always on the left side.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aspirin and Acetaminophen have never worked for me, since I was little kid.

It's gotta be Ibuprofen.

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always take Ibuprofen.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks guys! I ran out of Ibuprofen, so am adding in some Acetaminophen PM tonight. I've been laying on the heating pad most of the day as well.

Hopefully, by morning, it will disappear as quickly as it appeared. Much appreciated and sweet dreams!

Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ibuprofen worked well for me, too, but one thing I ask you to be wary of: NSAID induced peptic ulcer.

Because of one, I now have to be very careful about taking ibuprofen or any NSAIDs. Last time I took an NSAID, I was rewarded with severe upper abdominal pain for two days, and internal bleeding for several days from NSAIDs worsening the ulcer.

I think ibuprofen is find and perfectly safe in most cases, but I made the mistake of using the liqui-gel capsules in fairly high numbers in years past.

I now have an NSAID induced peptic ulcer, and I'm fairly sure it began with all that ibuprofen.

That is just my experience, maybe others would not have had this problem. Just in case, I suggest you avoid the quick release liqui-gels, and take the ibuprofen with food.

My intent is not to scare people away from using ibuprofen, as I do believe it can be very helpful with pain and inflammation, but use it wisely and with caution.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Goodness, MM... so sorry for your unexpected outcome. Thanks for the warning and sound advice.
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Good evening Grandmother,

Do you know if Aleve has any effect on fevers as well?

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie - ibuprofen up to 800mg has always worked for me, not acetaminophen.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

That is really good to know Grandmother. I'll have to pick some up today. Thanks so much for the alternative choice!

Hey there Miss Robin, thanks to you as well!

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie Reber dear ibuprophen has acerametaphen in it see the bold ibuprophen

I know when i was taking it> its also in vicodin has acetametaphen in it.
When I would stop taking acetametaphen only after being on it 15 and 30 days I would get the creepy crawleys and restless leg syndrom so I swithched to perodan instead of percocet

That restless leg thing lasts about three or four days so be carefull or you wont be sleeping much after stopping.
Just forwaring [Smile]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie!!

Besides whatever pain reliever you decide on.....high doses of TAURINE can be helpful for
reactions and keeping the brain clear.

Take care, dear friend.....

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Good morning Tree-hugger!
How ARE you, my love? I'm afraid you have me all confused now... not too awfully difficult to accomplish at times. [Smile] I looked at my now empty bottle of Ibuprofen, and the only ingredient is Ibuprofen, right?

Anyway... I do think I will try some Aleve for a change when needed. It seems like each drug has its side effects, or cautions... this is why I simply hate to add anything in addition to what I already take unless absolutely necessary.

The last thing is need is something else to keep me awake. I do that very well already on my own! [Smile]

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Lightfoot! Is that really you?!
I just read your thought for today, and smiled as usual. I sure miss you my friend... and pray that things with you and Miss L are going splendidly.

Hmmm, taurine? That sounds familiar for some reason. Could you have possibly given me some of that many moons ago to try? I'll have to dig through my cupboard and see if I can find it.

Thanks so much for the added input and for stopping by to say hello!

AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe that Ibuprofen has acetaminophen in it. It's fen not phen and in cases of persistent high fever, it can be taken together alternately as long as both are following their own dosing schedule.

Tylenol is much easier on the stomach than the NAIDs.

You can try taking some Tylenol & see if it provides enough relief. If not, then you would still be able to take either Ibuprofen(Motrin) of Naproxyn Sodium(Aleve), though either would be hard on your stomach.

If you take an NSAID, make sure to take it with food, drink a full glass of water & don't recline more than 45 degrees for an hour.

Hope you feel better.
[group hug]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even my ratty gp says alleve. He no longer recommends tylenol or aspirin.

SO that's all i take.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you try magnesium?

Calcium-Magnesium is usually easier on the stomach. If you take Magnesium, take with food.

Magnesium helps relax muscle spasms. Espom Salts (magnesium) baths are good too.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motrin, et. al. (Ibu.), is an antinflamatory...Tylenol is not. If you have inflammation issues, Tylenol is worthless...besides, it can harm your liver.

Yes, watch your stomach with NSAIDS...tale with substantial food in your stomach.

Feel better...BTW...one can take UP TO 800Mg of Ibu. which is equal to one prescription Motrin...however, these dosages should not be long term or rebound headaches can manifest...nasty!!!

Feel better!

Peace, Love and Wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Hey Miss AliG,
Thanks for your input. I am afraid that Mag and I don't quite agree with one another. I simply can not tolerate it in any form... and I have tried them all. I also tried doing a couple of months of 800mg Ibuprofen to help with fevers and inflammation and did not see any change when starting or stopping, so now I reserve it for when really needed. And yes, I have finally learned my lesson and take everything with food now.

Hey Randi,
well... if it is good enough for your ratty GP, then why not? [Smile]

Wow MFT,
that is pretty frightening. Fortunately the pain has subsided for the most part, so thank Goodness, that is not the case here. But I do appreciate the link and warning. I sometimes have difficulty knowing where everything lives... and this is definitely something we should be aware of!

Hey JR,
Good to see you and thank you. Yes, after years of non-stop headaches, I am just so thrilled that this is not a constant symptom any longer. I sure have taken my fair share of meds for that. So yes, as I said above... even though I have taken Rx Motrin in the past and 800mg Ibuprofen recently... it just doesn't seem to work on fevers or inflammation for me. (isn't it nice to be so special?) [Smile]

AliG
Member # 9734

I don't know if you can do the alternating trick with Aleve, but if it doesn't work on it's own it might be worth looking into.

Seriously, if you can't take the Mag internally, try the baths. Your body WILL absorb it if it's needed. I posted a study on it a while ago.

--------------------

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

I have tried Mag powders, pills, liquids, sprays... and baths. It always ends with the same adverse reaction, and is not pleasant I'm afraid. The only thing I have not tried are the shots.

Actually, what I have heard recently is that once a TBD patient is in treatment, Cal, D and trace minerals are preferred to Mag supplementation.

This does work better for me as far as cramping goes, so that is what I have been doing instead. (thanks for the reminder to pick up more)

AliG
Member # 9734

Hmmm.......even baths....... [confused]

That one's got me baffled. I thought the study said you would only absorb what you need and that lovely side effect was your body's way of getting rid of excess.

I wonder if there's any significance to that hypersensitivity. Have you had your Magnesium levels checked?

I'd heard, not too long ago, that the Magnesium should only be taken after ABX were already at therapeutic levels in the system, otherwise it's thought to contribute to biofilm production.

Did I miss an update on Magnesium supplementation?

Oh well [Roll Eyes] , glad to have been helpful in SOME way!
(even if it was just as a shopping list reminder) [lol]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Another thought:

Are your kidneys OK?

From e-medicine - hypermagnesemia:

The most common cause of hypermagnesemia is renal failure. Other causes include the following3,4 :

* Excessive intake
* Lithium therapy
* Hypothyroidism
* Addison disease
* Familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia
* Milk alkali syndrome
* Depression

Effects of Hypermagnesemia

Symptoms of hypermagnesemia usually are not apparent unless the serum magnesium level is greater than 2 mmol/L. Concomitant hypocalcemia, hyperkalemia, or uremia exaggerate the symptoms of hypermagnesemia at any given level.

Neuromuscular symptoms

These are the most common presenting problems. Hypermagnesemia causes blockage of neuromuscular transmission by preventing presynaptic acetylcholine release and by competitively inhibiting calcium influx into the presynaptic nerve channels via the voltage-dependent calcium channel.21

One of the earliest symptoms of hypermagnesemia is deep-tendon reflex attenuation. Facial paresthesias also may occur at moderate serum levels.

Muscle weakness is a more severe manifestation, occurring at levels greater than 5 mmol/L. This manifestation can result in flaccid muscle paralysis and depressed respiration and can eventually progress to apnea.

Conduction system symptoms

Hypermagnesemia depresses the conduction system of the heart and sympathetic ganglia.21 A moderate increase in serum magnesium can lead to a mild decrease in blood pressure, and a greater concentration may cause severe symptomatic hypotension. Magnesium is also cardiotoxic and, in high concentrations, can cause bradycardia. Occasionally, complete heart block and cardiac arrest may occur at levels greater than 7 mmol/L.

Hypocalcemia

Apparently, hypocalcemia results from a decrease in the secretion of parathyroid hormone (PTH) or from end-organ resistance to PTH.22 Paralytic ileus develops from smooth-muscle paralysis,10 and mothers being treated with magnesium for preterm labor suppression are at risk.23

Hypermagnesemia may interfere with blood clotting through interference with platelet adhesiveness, thrombin generation time, and clotting time.

Nonspecific symptoms

These symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and cutaneous flushing.

[confused]

--------------------

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

"That one's got me baffled. I thought the study said you would only absorb what you need and that lovely side effect was your body's way of getting rid of excess."

Perhaps my body failed to read and understand the study carefully enough? [Smile]

I don't know if my Mag levels have been checked specifically. If it hasn't been in the basic CBC, then no, if yes, then they read just fine.

I honestly feel that the main reason I react strongly to so many seemingly benign things at this point, is that my body is just tired of all this, ya know? It has turned hypersensitive to almost everything.

The list of symptoms above for Mag issues fit of course, but I'm not certain that too much Mag is the cause, I think instead it is more likely based on years of fighting with so many meds that haven't really taken the diseases out yet. So I am now experiencing multi-system issues.

So, it is more a matter of putting band-aids on the new symptoms while still trying to eradicate the underlying diseases.

Thank you so much Miss Ali for searching for me, I really do appreciate your help and input! M

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Just for the record... Aleve really stinks at headache control.
AliG
Member # 9734

Your welcome. [group hug]

"Perhaps my body failed to read and understand the study carefully enough? [Smile] " [lol]

I believe it's a separate test, not standard in CBC.
I had mine checked before my first round of Levaquin.

NOW you've added a headache?!!!! [shake]
Sorry about the Aleve not working. [Frown]

Try applying a cold compress or some mineral ice to your neck for a while. Sometimes I find that helpful.

Maybe you should ask to have your Mag level checked next time you're due for labs.

Oh & the reason chest pain is in the left is so that we'll never be able to tell if we're having a heart attack.

Coughing, left-sided chest pain, trouble breathing, head pain....? When WAS the last time you had your heart checked out? [Frown]

[confused]

hugs & prayers,
[group hug]
Ali

--------------------

springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When NOTHING else works.
I take just Plain ASPRIN and am so suprised each time how well it works!!
My mother reminds me that as a child that was what happened often and I try to remember it.

Worth trying. IF it was tried I did not read every post here.. so.. I apologize if it is redundant

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If unable to handle more meds or don't want to risk interactions, I drink ginger ale to help bring down fever and it also helps stomach issues.

Tumeric(found in curry) in Indian food aids inflammation. Alot of other mild spices also aid in inflammation.

Hope, by the time you read this Miss Melanie, you are feeling better!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Good morning Miss Ali,
Thank you for the continued input- you are a love. Yes, HA and the return of the swollen glands thing. But... I'm refusing to let this take me down... too much to do around here! Hahah, about the chest discomfort It is a tricky bugger isn't it?

I had a full cardio work up early on. Some abnormalities on the EKG, but the Echo only revealed arrhythmia, so I was given the all clear. Since then over the years, I've had to go back into the ER a few more times with suspected heart stuff, but the ticker seems just fine. It runs a tad tacky now, but other than that, I do think it is OK. [Wink]

(I take this seriously as many on my Father's side died early of CHF. This was what ultimately took my Borzoi out too with TBDs. Plus my husband developed a few cardio related issues as well... so I know it can become a very severe problem for many)

Hey Spring,
Actually, even though I have aspirin, I never take it. So, thanks for the suggestion.

Mizz Sizz!
How are YOU my friend? I adore Ginger ale, but have not purchased any for months now. It DOES help so much with nausea for me... but I had no idea that it would also help a fever. Thank you!

Yum, I do like curry and cayenne. I'll have to set both out where I can see them and remember to actually use them. Thank you for everything!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement