LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chemical Injury/MCS Bactrim Poisoning/Can't Tolerate Most Treatments

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chemical Injury/MCS Bactrim Poisoning/Can't Tolerate Most Treatments
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend who suffers from Lyme and associated infections was bitten in Italy. When she attempted a regimen including Bactrim she had a horrible reaction which crippled her for months. Eventually things "appeared" to return to normal. Her doctor began her on a combination of typical antibiotics used to treat Lyme, Bartonella, etc.

As time passed she began to experience crippling fatigue after about 2 hours of taking the drugs at their regular dose. As time passed, the smaller doses began to cause problems. Doses became smaller and smaller until finally the drug had to be entirely removed.

This same pattern bled over into every single supplement, herb, and medication until finally she couldn't tolerate anything except Fish Oil, and a small dose of Ativan at bedtime.

This issue appears to be much different than an allergie, but more of a sensitivity. Smoke, gasoline and other typical toxins/substances bring about this massive fatigue. She said it immediately feels like her entire nervouse system becomes unbearably hyperactive/sensitive, and even blinking, breathing, or moving cause the "dying" feeling to worsen. She states that even laying flat on a mattress makes the problem worse when this fatigue takes place.

We've explored all the typical convention and unconventional detoxification programs, including sauna, ALA, NAC, Cowden, Zang, Pekana, Sparga (which did lover Sulfa levels), as well as LED therapy with Dr. Cowden himself and frequency treatment. We tried homeopathy, as well as exercise, water, and a long list.

Without a viable therapy that she can actually tolerate, she can't treat the chronic infections, which cause debilitating migraines and other typical symptoms of Lyme/Bartonella, etc.

We're at a loss here, and I thought that sometype of neurological/immune abnormality may have been "changed or damaged" by the ongoing medication introduction, especially the Bactrim poisoning.

Does anything have experience with something similar to this? We can't just accept that the solution is to avoid anything which causes a sensitivity without trying to find an answer.

My opinion, sadly, as a last resort is that I've seen patients sensitivities disappear after immunosuppressive treatments, especially strong courses of steroids of 1-3 months. This incredibly risky option is serious and something that isn't guaranteed. The consequences could be devastating, including potentially that it may not work at all.

We're really screwed here, help?

Cliff Notes: Nothing is working, this "Chemical Injury" has caused her to be sensitive to 99% of the treatments we've tried, which cause crippling fatigue. She says "I feel like I'm goign to die when the fatigue happens." What options are there? It's not just a detox issue, at least not alone. If you know something, or know someone, please ask around, we really need to figure out which direction to go.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Metallic Blue,

I've noticed that no one is responding to you, which means they feel like no matter what they say, it will not go over well and possibly start an e-brawl (new term just invented by me). Therefore, idiot fool that I am and after 7 years of Lyme & co-infects tx, plus years of illness before that, here's what I think.

I think your girlfried herxed like hell on the abx and yes, some people are more sensitive than others. People do herx so bad that it cripples them. Not sure of any advice I can give except that many people take minimum amount of abx only a couple of times per week for months, until they can take normal doses on a daily basis. Just don't really have any words of wisdom for you here.

As for the supplements... The subject of supplement allergies is being discussed and argued about all over the board right now; take a look. YES, your girlfriend is no doubt allergic to most, if not all the supplements. This is not at all unusual, as many others on this site have the same reaction, including me. I simply can't take them.

Regarding the steroids... In my not so humble and not so smart opinion, doing that could very well end your lady's life; if she's that sensitive, I just don't know. With a case of active Lyme and co-infects, OMG, that is surely too frightening for words.

I just don't see any "fix" to this dilemma that provides any ease or lessening of pain. I'm very sorry; I truly wish I had words of real comfort for you. [Frown]

Maybe if I bump this message back up, someone will latch onto it and help you. My sincerest best wishes to you both. [group hug]

ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is IVIG an option?

There have been a few members who've become reactive to most everything and have had good outcomes with IVIG.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MB,

I'm so sorry that this has happened to your girlfriend! I just wanted to add that the alternative MD I have seen several times had attended a conference and told me that Sulfa drugs bind to a certain receptor site and will not leave the body.

I had mentioned something about bactrim because my little sis had taken it when she was 25 I think and got hives for about 2 weeks. They were HUGE hives, moving constantly all over her body, she got scared when they moved to her lips/face.

After that I swore I wouldn't take a sulfa drug, but of course I could have had one years ago after my appendectomy and I wouldn't even know it.

I don't know if the receptor site has something to do with it for your girlfriend or not.

Sigh...I know lots of people swear by sulfa drugs, but I have just heard of way too many people who have had lasting negative consequences from them or SJS/death, ect...

So sorry,

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could your girlfriend try a rife machine?

Lymers

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mike, so sorry to read about your girlfriend's problems; no input, but up we go for those knowledgeable on this topic. hugs/kisses to both of you as you fight this.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your girlfriend Mike. I don't know about others, but I didn't respond because I didn't see your thread.

I had hypersensitivity to all medications and supplements for a number of years. I could only tolerate small doses of some things. It was quite severe for a time.

I attributed mine to toxins since it got much better with muscle testing directed detox. This was a long time before I found out I had lyme so I wasn't on anything that was creating more toxins.

Now, if I'm not on a good detox regime, I start to get those symptoms back, so for me, I've no doubt it's related to toxins. Not sure if that's the case for everyone.

For some unknown reason the guaifenesin protocol for fibromyalgia helped me a great deal. I was also using muscle testing during that time and using a lot of homeomathic remedies for heavy metals. Once I started the protocol, I started to get a metallic taste in my mouth. It's possible that heavy metals were part of the problem and guaifenesin protocol helped with that.

I assume she has done binding agents such as cholestyramine in sufficient quantity to make a difference? Looked into methylation cycle issues, especially the sulfur and conversion of folic acid to the active form? Those would make a big difference in her toxin status.

Have you looked into KPU? Checked to make sure you have no mold inside your house or car? Those are all things that I think could tip one over into a highly toxic state.

If she hasn't already tried coffee enemas or colonics, I'd certainly consider those. Very useful for toxin removal.

I would suggest rife, not for more killing at this point but for lymph clearing. There are frequencies that could help clear her lymph system. I've been using them quite a lot lately via muscle testing.

I recommend that she find a good muscle tester to help sort through the problem.

Best wishes for you and your girlfriend.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about that Mike. I do not have good suggestions, but it sounds like you got some good advice above.

I have heard that some people have terrible reactions to Bactrim and that it lasts for a while. I would follow any route or treatment that can remove the lingering effects of the sulfa drug (bactrim), that could remove any traces of that. Hope she improves with time.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Dr. W in Germany?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had bad reactions similar to that where I could not tolerate taking anything. It comes and goes. I still cannot be in a car that has leather...or be near the gas station,
But I dont know if I had it as severe as that.

I see you say she's tried homeopathy. That to me is the safest to try. Before trying to get infections, as with myself, I had to build the body back in balance first which is still a struggle. But I tolerate things a little better slowly. What I found helpful for this is a meridian stress assessment machine MSA- that tells you how to balance it , little by little. You can google a practitioner in the area. I think there is BIoset machine system that treats allergies mentioned on Better Health guy website. But I would find an electrodermal machine that can give more answers or kineisiology.

also what about accupucture?

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparrow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would avoid steroids at all costs. My daughter got steroids mixed in with some pain injections without consent. The doctor said it was about a tenth of what most patients get. I can not tell you how sick she was. It has been about 2 years now and she still is not back to where she was before the injections. She also is allergic to sulfa.

Vitamin D3 acts as a natural steroid, so you might get her levels checked and supplement slowly with that or make sure she gets some sun every day.

Perhaps working out a diet that focuses on foods for their beneficial properties--like beets and artichokes are good for liver problems and pineapple and papaya have enzymes, and coconut has very healing properties.

Essential oils might be helpful since they are used on the skin. Bay laurel is supposed to help lymph detox.

You also might try to make a homeopathic remedy specific to her with blood or saliva. You can find instructions on how to do that by doing a search here and just on the web.

Posts: 177 | From God's Grace | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I don't have any answers just wanted to say I've had the same problem too. I am really sensitive to almost everything, some I can't tolerate at all.

I've always thought maybe I've had a detox problem, or a very high bacterial load.

I'm not sure how I'm ever going to get better when I can't tolerate most of the treatments. It's very frustrating! Hopefully someone will figure this out!!

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also know how frustrating it is, but you can get better! You feel like you cannot being that you're reacting to all the food and environment.

Tell her not to loose hope. You can feel better just by building up the body to better fight the infections. I would even react to massage therapy. The therapist thought I was nuts and kept having me come back and I got sicker and sicker. If something does not feel right to you, it just might not be the right thing, even though everyone else under the planet would benefit from the massage.

There are 2 ways of getting better and one is killing the infections but the other is getting stronger so the body deals with the infection also.

I'd also avoid gluten and inflammatory foods. But gluten is the main one.

There is also a very clean company, Premier Research, and they use a specific kinisielogy to build the body first and then treat infections. If you google that you can find a practioner near you. I like that alot cause there are products are ultra clean and they test your body in the order it needs stuff done. But whoever treats her needs to know to be careful and dont overload the system. Its just counter productive.

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of websites given to me by my LLMD:

The Environmental Health Center-Dallas, Texas

American College for Advancement in Medicine

International College of Integrative Medicine

My 2 sons go to an ACAM physician in addition to their LLMD.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For less than $200 you could order the functional detox test from Genova Diagnostics (the old Great Smokies Lab). That would at least give you a starting point as to whether the problem is a detox issue. That test shows if the phase 1 and phase 2 detox pathways are working correctly.

If there are problems then it might be advisable to do additional genetic testing from Genova Diagnostics or elsewhere.

Another alternative would be to find a really good herbalist who can suggest detox and blood clearing herbs.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you looked at the Allergie-Immun treatment?

Though not a Lyme treatment per se, my understanding is that the main focus of the treatment is to get body regulations back into balance and to eliminate - or at least minimize - sensitivities to all kinds of triggers.

And there are no 'substances' to react to - just some watery drops (similar to homeopathic remedies). The cost would be known beforehand - one price, no matter how long it takes. (Well, maybe a little postage in there.)

[ 09-04-2009, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Truthfinder ]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife has never tolerated any oral treatment for very long. Samento, Cumanda, Spiro, MMS, she has had to stop all of them because of sensitivity. I think it is because even before she had Lyme she has always been more sensitive to everything.

She can smell things that I cannot.

She can see farther than anyone I have met.

She used to be able to hear much better than me although now she cannot. I am assuming Lyme has degraded her hearing.

Can't eat spicy hot foods.

Some people are just more sensitive, and when you throw Lyme into it, the sensitivity becomes hypersensitivity.

That is one reason we have always came back to Rife type frequency treatments. It is the only treatment she can tolerate for the long haul.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can totally relate to all you wrote about your girlfriend.Please try and get her tested for KPU Pyroluria. Do a search here for Pyroluria,KPU Kryptopyroluria. My docs article http://drrandy.org/article.html
Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdreams87
Member # 20493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigdreams87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like me.

All of a sudden I could not take any medicine. I can't tolerate the ethanol in the nutramedix products. Taking medicines like nexium which I used to tolerate feel like poison in my body. I can't eat a banana or will get sick from the sulfur. I cant touch Nac, Ala, Glutathione or Artemisnin.

I have been looking into some of the stuff TerryK suggested.

I'm also going to look into KPU.

May as well do the $200 test and methylation panel to get clear answers.

Trying to guess will drive you crazy.

Posts: 73 | From ca, usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdreams87
Member # 20493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigdreams87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to add I get all kind of burning and what feels like poison under my skin. I get compression in my head. I can barely move. When it's really bad I can't stand for more than 30 seconds.

When it is super super bad and I feel like I am a vegetable, can't think or more, taking Coptis helps - I think it gets the liver going producing bile. I've also started the Sparga which seems OK but not a magic bullet. If I take Yucca root at night I will feel better the next morning.

Posts: 73 | From ca, usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by METALLlC BLUE:

This issue appears to be much different than an allergie, but more of a sensitivity. Smoke, gasoline and other typical toxins/substances bring about this massive fatigue.

Hi - she sounds chemical-sensitive to me; people with MCS react like this.

I'm with Bea - I would recommend doing the detoxigenomic liver bloodtest through Genova Diagnostics in NC to see what her genetic capacity to detox is in her Phase I and Phase II liver enzymes. It now costs $400, but is well worth it for those of us who are chemically sensitive.

Phase I is akin to the bathtub filling up with too many toxins.

The test measures the response of 8 enzymes in Phase I.

If we have a problem with the first two enzymes in Phase I, we react too quickly to chemicals.

If we have problems with others in Phase I, we react too slowly - ie, don't clear them well.

Phase II is like the bathtub isn't draining sufficiently.

They test for four major pathways out of ten. The four: methylation, acetylation, glutathione, SOD.

They send info to you about the pathways that are amiss.

I also think it will be a good idea to consult with a doctor who knows how to work with that info.

I am blessed to have a brilliant alternative doc who understands it all and how to slowly start to treat for the missing pathways.

Maybe Genova Labs can let you know about doctors who order the test and you could consult about the results and how to handle it.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw you posted, bigdreams - I think the same situ would go for you too - and possibly anyone here who's reporting chemical sensitivity.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this could be due to any immune system abnormalities (like over-active immune system), I would try Low Dose Naltrexone. See http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org for explanation on why it works and dosing.

It may cause a herx (more rare) in people with Lyme, but for a lot of people, it doesn't cause much in terms of side effects or herxes.

I think it is worth a shot. I feel that LDN has "modulated" my immune system to be more normal, but that is just the sense I get, I don't have labs to prove it. I see it as poor man's IVIG.

It only costs like $30 per month. Just get it from a compounding pharmacy that is able to properly prepare it.

There is also an excellent description of why it works in "The Lyme Disease Solution" by Singleton.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdreams87
Member # 20493

I also wanted to add when I get the fatigue it's out of this world and I feel like I am going to die. It is honestly so surreal. One time I got a glutathione IV.. about 30 minutes later it was the most horrific experience of my life and I ended up in the ER. I don't know how anyone's body could ever feel this way. NO ONE understands.
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has she tried things like activated charcoal or cholestyramine? Those might help too.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Hoosiers - how much has the LDN helped you, if you wouldn't mind describing? Does it help you sleep better too?
Robin123
Member # 9197

Bigdreams, re the glutathione issue, my doctor wants me to try Max GXL capsules. They have seven glutathione precursors in them. I haven't tried it yet.
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Robin123,

After starting LDN, it really seemed like I was herxing when I would add a new antibiotic, or change antibiotics. That never happened before.

For example, after taking LDN, I'd add Biaxin, and get classic Lyme herx symptoms. Whereas before, I was a "poor responder" to antibiotics, and would just feel kind of crummy from them, but not really show classic herx symptoms, as if the abx were working.

So it seems like LDN turned the switch on to my immune system. Unless that just happened spontaneously, and it was a coincidence. But I had taken Biaxin in the past, and no herxing, before trying LDN to help my immune system.

But if you check out the website, it explains that it also helps people with autoimmune problems, sort of correcting whatever is wrong with the immune system. So I thought maybe if Mike's girlfriend is having inappropriate immune response to certain stimuli, this may help.

Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

I don't think that a poisoning with Bactrim can cause a "chemical injury" to such an extent as your friend is experiencing.

I rather think that she got a trauma due to the Bactrim poisoning and this trauma now makes her react to anything that looks like a pill... (simply put).

I would recommend to look into the Amygdala Retraining Technique

http://www.guptaprogramme.com/

The first 3 sessions are free to download and it explains very well what can happen in the brain due to such traumas.

The author also said that people with MCS had success with his training (doesn't say so on his website but in a mail to me).

All the best to your friend,

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lot of alt med suggestions here, which is not up my alley, so just one thought: someone who used to post on lymenet also seemed to have MCS and found that low doses of IVIG occasionally seemed to help.

But this can be expensive and is IV administered, so maybe as a last resort, after you have tried other suggestions that seemed promising.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hi Metallic Blue,

I've noticed that no one is responding to you, which means they feel like no matter what they say, it will not go over well and possibly start an e-brawl (new term just invented by me). Therefore, idiot fool that I am and after 7 years of Lyme & co-infects tx, plus years of illness before that, here's what I think.

I think your girlfried herxed like hell on the abx and yes, some people are more sensitive than others. People do herx so bad that it cripples them. Not sure of any advice I can give except that many people take minimum amount of abx only a couple of times per week for months, until they can take normal doses on a daily basis. Just don't really have any words of wisdom for you here.

As for the supplements... The subject of supplement allergies is being discussed and argued about all over the board right now; take a look. YES, your girlfriend is no doubt allergic to most, if not all the supplements. This is not at all unusual, as many others on this site have the same reaction, including me. I simply can't take them.

Regarding the steroids... In my not so humble and not so smart opinion, doing that could very well end your lady's life; if she's that sensitive, I just don't know. With a case of active Lyme and co-infects, OMG, that is surely too frightening for words.

I just don't see any "fix" to this dilemma that provides any ease or lessening of pain. I'm very sorry; I truly wish I had words of real comfort for you. [Frown]

Maybe if I bump this message back up, someone will latch onto it and help you. My sincerest best wishes to you both. [group hug]

ping

Thank you for bringing the message up. I do think that others are concerned about providing advice on this subject. I appreciate your opinion even though it's nothing new. Your support is still encouraging.

quote:

Is IVIG an option?

There have been a few members who've become reactive to most everything and have had good outcomes with IVIG.

IVIG is still a possibility, but the costs would be enormous since she's from Italy and does not have access to it there. Without coverage, it'll be hard. Her family will do whatever it takes though and may consider it.

quote:

MB,

I'm so sorry that this has happened to your girlfriend! I just wanted to add that the alternative MD I have seen several times had attended a conference and told me that Sulfa drugs bind to a certain receptor site and will not leave the body.

I had mentioned something about bactrim because my little sis had taken it when she was 25 I think and got hives for about 2 weeks. They were HUGE hives, moving constantly all over her body, she got scared when they moved to her lips/face.

After that I swore I wouldn't take a sulfa drug, but of course I could have had one years ago after my appendectomy and I wouldn't even know it.

I don't know if the receptor site has something to do with it for your girlfriend or not.

Sigh...I know lots of people swear by sulfa drugs, but I have just heard of way too many people who have had lasting negative consequences from them or SJS/death, ect...

So sorry,

Ocean

We've done the Cowden Sulfa Detox with him personally advising. She takes Sparga, a Nutramedix product that decreases sulfa and removes it from the body, but sadly while her numbers have normalized, nothing has changed in her symptoms. I too had a severe allergy to it. My girlfriend's white blood count dropped significantly with Bactrim and she had excruciating pain in her back and other symptoms. My allergy to Bactrim was a "sunburn" without being actually exposed to the sun. My body turned red, but not patchy red. I do think the drug is "extremely" effective, for myself and my girlfriend -- our symptoms significantly improved, but once the reactions and allergies hit, that was the end of that treatment.

quote:

Could your girlfriend try a rife machine?

Lymers

She has been doing Rife therapy with Dr. Cowden for 2 1/2 months. No positive changes have been seen. We're aware that long term treatment is necessary, but it appears symptoms do worsen with treatment. If she is experiencing detox problems as part of a larger problem, Rife therapy is potentially worsening the situation. It appears she has two separate problems that interfere with each other. We're not totally sure though. I'm not sure whether she'll continue Rife. For now she is, but less often than advised by Dr. C.

quote:

Only heavy load of infection (strong herx) or inability to detox comes to my mind. But perhaps there are more possible causes.
Did she check her thyroid, hormones etc?

I read that people with impaired detoxification pathways tolerate smaller and smaller dosages of abx as time goes on.

I remember that Rianna from UK had this problem when it got to the point that she was unable to tolerate even the smallest dose of one abx.
I think then she was taken off antibiotics and detoxed aggresively for a few months. After that she was able to tolerate normal doses of abx.
You can search her posts for more details.

I would do a test for your girlfriend - HLA-DR4 test. (search here on Lymenet, this test is highly recommended)

And maybe check some environmental toxins like for example molds or heavy metal toxicity. (did she react to NAC or ALA? These substances can "stir" heavy metals. NAC and ALA are also very rich of sulphur.).

I hope you will solve this problem.[quote]

We thought the infection load and detox were the only problems initially. Thyroid is normal but her adrenal glands were a problem. Unfortunately the doctors have addressed endocrine issues with treatments. the sensitivies worsened with most treatments.

Dr. H in NY said "There isn't much more I can do for you, i'll have to referr you on again." Dr. H already referred her to Dr. Cowden, and no progress was made. We've done what she advised. Glutathione orally, intravenously, and nebulized did not improve symptoms. We will run testing for Mold as that wasn't done. Environmental toxins may be a possibility since she gets sick around most of them, but I don't think that started the problem. ALA and NAC did not worsen symptoms. Bactrim began the problem, then Biaxen made it a lot worse. She's been on it before without a problem, but after the Bactrim it became toxic. Lariam, Plaquenil, Minocycline, Ceftin, all caused the problem. Minocycline was the least of them in causing the problem, and small doses were used for many months at about 25mg, then finally 12mg. Now, none.

We will test for the HLA-DR4.

[quote]
mike, so sorry to read about your girlfriend's problems; no input, but up we go for those knowledgeable on this topic. hugs/kisses to both of you as you fight this.

Thank you Betty.

quote:

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend Mike. I don't know about others, but I didn't respond because I didn't see your thread.

I had hypersensitivity to all medications and supplements for a number of years. I could only tolerate small doses of some things. It was quite severe for a time.

I attributed mine to toxins since it got much better with muscle testing directed detox. This was a long time before I found out I had lyme so I wasn't on anything that was creating more toxins.

Now, if I'm not on a good detox regime, I start to get those symptoms back, so for me, I've no doubt it's related to toxins. Not sure if that's the case for everyone.

For some unknown reason the guaifenesin protocol for fibromyalgia helped me a great deal. I was also using muscle testing during that time and using a lot of homeomathic remedies for heavy metals. Once I started the protocol, I started to get a metallic taste in my mouth. It's possible that heavy metals were part of the problem and guaifenesin protocol helped with that.

I assume she has done binding agents such as cholestyramine in sufficient quantity to make a difference? Looked into methylation cycle issues, especially the sulfur and conversion of folic acid to the active form? Those would make a big difference in her toxin status.

Have you looked into KPU? Checked to make sure you have no mold inside your house or car? Those are all things that I think could tip one over into a highly toxic state.

If she hasn't already tried coffee enemas or colonics, I'd certainly consider those. Very useful for toxin removal.

I would suggest rife, not for more killing at this point but for lymph clearing. There are frequencies that could help clear her lymph system. I've been using them quite a lot lately via muscle testing.

I recommend that she find a good muscle tester to help sort through the problem.

Best wishes for you and your girlfriend.

Terry

We have not done Muscle Testing. Thank you for the idea (as with all the others that many people have given here). Guaifenesin is also something we will review. We've addressed heavy metals extensively. Her levels were tested by Doctor Data and were normal except a small elevation of lead, which we did address further.

She has done 1 bag a day for a couple months of Cholestyramine and the result was no improvement. She feels occasionally she had small reactions. She felt it may have been toxins moving/reabsorbed. Many of these treatments may very well serve her later if the bottomline issue is handled.

She was exposed to mold back in 2000. In 2005, 2007 she was put on Diflucan and she's used extensive amounts of GSE. She used high doses of both, as well as IV Ozone for 1 year, three times per week. Then she did another year of rectal insuflation of Ozone.

We have not checked KPU, but Erica's home and my home did not have mold now, but mine did for awhile in the air conditioners and bathroom ceiling. I have addressed the ceiling and AC's, but there may be more in the bathroom vent. This problem however began before she came here.

We've tried the Coffee Enemas/colonics with a variety of detoxifying agents and stimulants. The results were a worsening of symptoms, especially the problem she's having now. So toxins probably "are" part of the issue.

We've done a lot of Rife for organ support (Dr. C's words), but we're not sure if it was specifically for Lymph. We'll look into it since we have the frequencies for them.

What do you (Or any of you) know about Genova Labs testing for liver pathways? She did a metabolic panel with Metametrix but the results were normal as far as we know. Dr. H and his PA said so.

Thank you, we'll look into all of this.

quote:

Sorry to hear about that Mike. I do not have good suggestions, but it sounds like you got some good advice above.

I have heard that some people have terrible reactions to Bactrim and that it lasts for a while. I would follow any route or treatment that can remove the lingering effects of the sulfa drug (bactrim), that could remove any traces of that. Hope she improves with time.

Vermont, we'll do our best. Thank you for the support.

quote:

Six, How about Dr. W in Germany?

We've looked into him extensively. We're concerned that if she can't detox his program will be too harsh. We're still looking into it but we're trying to figure out more first. It's on our minds though.

quote:

I have had bad reactions similar to that where I could not tolerate taking anything. It comes and goes. I still cannot be in a car that has leather...or be near the gas station,
But I dont know if I had it as severe as that.

I see you say she's tried homeopathy. That to me is the safest to try. Before trying to get infections, as with myself, I had to build the body back in balance first which is still a struggle. But I tolerate things a little better slowly. What I found helpful for this is a meridian stress assessment machine MSA- that tells you how to balance it , little by little. You can google a practitioner in the area. I think there is BIoset machine system that treats allergies mentioned on Better Health guy website. But I would find an electrodermal machine that can give more answers or kineisiology.

The Homeopathy has done nothinig thus far, but more time is needed to see what it will do. We definitely need to address the body issues first because everytime we attempt treatment for the diseases (She's co-infected with over 15 infections (plus) based on Dr. C's Zyto machine. These strains are primarily European. She did test positive 3-4 times with the plain ELISA, and had bands on her Igenex (but wasn't officially positive by their standard).

We'll look at the MSA. She's done acupuncture in the past, but the individual wasn't aware of these issues. She also did it before Lyme, so she may revist the issue. Dr. Quang in Vermont (Not a Lyme Specialist), but a vietnames pratictioner (Chinese medicine as well) did pulse diagnosis with her and found irregularities in slow organ function and blood flow. He treated her for 6 months. Some progress was seen in digestion, especially a "staggnant gallbladder which was constantly clogging." No other changes were seen except mild detoxification. She also tried Dr. Zhang's products. The results caused her "fatigue reaction" just like any drug.

quote:

I would avoid steroids at all costs. My daughter got steroids mixed in with some pain injections without consent. The doctor said it was about a tenth of what most patients get. I can not tell you how sick she was. It has been about 2 years now and she still is not back to where she was before the injections. She also is allergic to sulfa.

Vitamin D3 acts as a natural steroid, so you might get her levels checked and supplement slowly with that or make sure she gets some sun every day.

Perhaps working out a diet that focuses on foods for their beneficial properties--like beets and artichokes are good for liver problems and pineapple and papaya have enzymes, and coconut has very healing properties.

Essential oils might be helpful since they are used on the skin. Bay laurel is supposed to help lymph detox.

You also might try to make a homeopathic remedy specific to her with blood or saliva. You can find instructions on how to do that by doing a search here and just on the web.

We'd like to avoid the steroids. It is unfortunate that I've heard of cases where people improve entirely with them, but the cost is excessively high at this point. We'll continue to seek alternative means long before even discussing it further.

Vitamin D levels have not been checked. We'll go over that and take note of your advice.

Dietary changes have not been thoroughly addressed, but sulfa control dieting was done. That has little to do with your advice though. We'll look into that further. Essential oils have only been Fish Oil, we'll look into the others, including Bay Laurel.

She is allergic to Bay Leaf. Is that the same or nearly?

Homeopathic specific treatment hasn't been done. Dr. H recommended a specialist to try but he's at a loss as to whether it'll help. We'll keep trying though but first we are looking into these other options. She can't see this new health care provider though until she returns. The government denied her medical extension so she'll have to go home and come back in awhile.

quote:

Sorry I don't have any answers just wanted to say I've had the same problem too. I am really sensitive to almost everything, some I can't tolerate at all.

I've always thought maybe I've had a detox problem, or a very high bacterial load.

I'm not sure how I'm ever going to get better when I can't tolerate most of the treatments. It's very frustrating! Hopefully someone will figure this out!!

Kathy

Kathy. So sorry to hear you're having the same problem. Maybe some of the advice given here will help. We'll persist in asking questions until we understand this problem.

quote:

Lacey, I also know how frustrating it is, but you can get better! You feel like you cannot being that you're reacting to all the food and environment.

Tell her not to loose hope. You can feel better just by building up the body to better fight the infections. I would even react to massage therapy. The therapist thought I was nuts and kept having me come back and I got sicker and sicker. If something does not feel right to you, it just might not be the right thing, even though everyone else under the planet would benefit from the massage.

There are 2 ways of getting better and one is killing the infections but the other is getting stronger so the body deals with the infection also.

I'd also avoid gluten and inflammatory foods. But gluten is the main one.

There is also a very clean company, Premier Research, and they use a specific kinisielogy to build the body first and then treat infections. If you google that you can find a practioner near you. I like that alot cause there are products are ultra clean and they test your body in the order it needs stuff done. But whoever treats her needs to know to be careful and dont overload the system. Its just counter productive.

Lacey, we're trying hard to remain hopeful. It's extremely frustrating. She lays in bed most of the time repeating over and over "It's so bad, it's so bad." It's extremely unfortunate and we're both so desperate to find the answer. We'll keep looking.

Luckily, she's not reacting to foods at all -- well, traditional foods anyway. It's very strange in-fact. Dr. H gave her a nutrtional product to make sure it stays that way, but keeping her G.I. system working healthily.

Erica can't do massage therapy either. Her nervous system is so hyperactive that she goes into spasms with it.

Gluten issues bother me when I'm sicker, but Erica hasn't had problems with them. We're aware that "no symptoms" doesn't mean "no problem" though, so we'll go through that too and look into it. Thanks for the information on Premier research.

quote:

pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2009 08:37 PM Profile for pab Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote A couple of websites given to me by my LLMD:

The Environmental Health Center-Dallas, Texas

American College for Advancement in Medicine

International College of Integrative Medicine

My 2 sons go to an ACAM physician in addition to their LLMD.

The first one we've looked into, but the cost and ability for her to do it isn't feasible at this time. It may be down the road though. We've worked with a few different doctors so far who are trained well in alternative therapies, but it may take more, so we'll keep this idea also on the table. The Dr. that Dr. H recommended is probably ACAM.

quote:

For less than $200 you could order the functional detox test from Genova Diagnostics (the old Great Smokies Lab). That would at least give you a starting point as to whether the problem is a detox issue. That test shows if the phase 1 and phase 2 detox pathways are working correctly.

If there are problems then it might be advisable to do additional genetic testing from Genova Diagnostics or elsewhere.

Another alternative would be to find a really good herbalist who can suggest detox and blood clearing herbs.

Bea Seibert

Bea, we're going to look into the Genova testing you're talking about. Unfortunately, Dr. Quang is one of the best herbalists around and treatment did not work, but it's possible others may have answers so we'll keep looking at that too.

quote:

Have you looked at the Allergie-Immun treatment?

Though not a Lyme treatment per se, my understanding is that the main focus of the treatment is to get body regulations back into balance and to eliminate - or at least minimize - sensitivities to all kinds of triggers.

And there are no 'substances' to react to - just some watery drops (similar to homeopathic remedies). The cost would be known beforehand - one price, no matter how long it takes. (Well, maybe a little postage in there.)

We have looked into Allergie Immune, but we haven't done it yet. It'll be considered strongly though since it's been on our minds for awhile.

quote:

My wife has never tolerated any oral treatment for very long. Samento, Cumanda, Spiro, MMS, she has had to stop all of them because of sensitivity. I think it is because even before she had Lyme she has always been more sensitive to everything.

She can smell things that I cannot.

She can see farther than anyone I have met.

She used to be able to hear much better than me although now she cannot. I am assuming Lyme has degraded her hearing.

Can't eat spicy hot foods.

Some people are just more sensitive, and when you throw Lyme into it, the sensitivity becomes hypersensitivity.

That is one reason we have always came back to Rife type frequency treatments. It is the only treatment she can tolerate for the long haul.

Dan

Erica was able to tolerate some cowden therapies, especially the Banderol. She isn't sure now though whether she still can. She stopped all treatments to try to get this problem under control, but at any rate, she also seems to have hypersensitive smell. She too smells things occasioinally that I can't. I myself also can see exceedingly well and I know it's from sensitivity. In this case it's "not" a positive thing. Erica gets the ringing in the ears which can keep her awake at night.
Rife will remain on the table since it's so versatile. We're not sure how far it'll get her but we'll see. I myself am still looking seriously at Rife down the road. I have an EMEM3D machine still that I haven't even used.

quote:

[quote]
I can totally relate to all you wrote about your girlfriend.Please try and get her tested for KPU Pyroluria. Do a search here for Pyroluria,KPU Kryptopyroluria. My docs article http://drrandy.org/article.html

We'll read and look into the KPU. We'll read the site you gave as well.

quote:

This sounds like me.

All of a sudden I could not take any medicine. I can't tolerate the ethanol in the nutramedix products. Taking medicines like nexium which I used to tolerate feel like poison in my body. I can't eat a banana or will get sick from the sulfur. I cant touch Nac, Ala, Glutathione or Artemisnin.

I have been looking into some of the stuff TerryK suggested.

I'm also going to look into KPU.

May as well do the $200 test and methylation panel to get clear answers.

Trying to guess will drive you crazy.

Erica said the same thing. She feels "toxic, or intoxicated." when something triggers this reaction. It's not like "Alcohol" intox with euphoria, but a very "sickening" feeling. She also reacts strongly to Artemisae by Dr. Zhang.

Yeah, guessing is driving us nuts.

quote:

I wanted to add I get all kind of burning and what feels like poison under my skin. I get compression in my head. I can barely move. When it's really bad I can't stand for more than 30 seconds.

When it is super super bad and I feel like I am a vegetable, can't think or more, taking Coptis helps - I think it gets the liver going producing bile. I've also started the Sparga which seems OK but not a magic bullet. If I take Yucca root at night I will feel better the next morning.

Erica also feels "compression and spasms" in her head. She says it's from the Lyme though since she's always had it from the start. When she has her monthly period it gets much worse, as do many other symptoms. We're aware that most women experienc this when they have Lyme.

She's done Coptis before. I had a very strong response to Coptis when I tried it. Nothing else caused a reaction, but that most certainly did. I never improved with it though, so I don't know what went wrong. Erica hasn't used it again, but we'll see what happens and keep it in mind. Yucca root hasn't been tried but we'll look at that too.

quote:

Hi - she sounds chemical-sensitive to me; people with MCS react like this.

I'm with Bea - I would recommend doing the detoxigenomic liver bloodtest through Genova Diagnostics in NC to see what her genetic capacity to detox is in her Phase I and Phase II liver enzymes. It now costs $400, but is well worth it for those of us who are chemically sensitive.

Phase I is akin to the bathtub filling up with too many toxins.

The test measures the response of 8 enzymes in Phase I.

If we have a problem with the first two enzymes in Phase I, we react too quickly to chemicals.

If we have problems with others in Phase I, we react too slowly - ie, don't clear them well.

Phase II is like the bathtub isn't draining sufficiently.

They test for four major pathways out of ten. The four: methylation, acetylation, glutathione, SOD.

They send info to you about the pathways that are amiss.

I also think it will be a good idea to consult with a doctor who knows how to work with that info.

I am blessed to have a brilliant alternative doc who understands it all and how to slowly start to treat for the missing pathways.

Maybe Genova Labs can let you know about doctors who order the test and you could consult about the results and how to handle it.

I think she has MCS too an we're going to do what Bea suggested. Dr. H has explained all of this too us (as far as the phases etc, but nothing he's done helps. We've heard the bathtub analogy too, it's frustrating how true it is.

We'll follow up on all of this. Thank you Robin.

quote:

If this could be due to any immune system abnormalities (like over-active immune system), I would try Low Dose Naltrexone. See http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org for explanation on why it works and dosing.

It may cause a herx (more rare) in people with Lyme, but for a lot of people, it doesn't cause much in terms of side effects or herxes.

I think it is worth a shot. I feel that LDN has "modulated" my immune system to be more normal, but that is just the sense I get, I don't have labs to prove it. I see it as poor man's IVIG.

It only costs like $30 per month. Just get it from a compounding pharmacy that is able to properly prepare it.

There is also an excellent description of why it works in "The Lyme Disease Solution" by Singleton.

We've done the Low Dose Naltrexone with Dr. H and sadly the same response happens. I tried it myself at 2 mg and had horrendous anxiety and insomnia. It was very strong for me, so I didn't continue. Dr. H told me to stop it for now. I'm aware it's very useful though for many people. I may consider it in the future at a tiny fraction and see how I do.

quote:

I also wanted to add when I get the fatigue it's out of this world and I feel like I am going to die. It is honestly so surreal. One time I got a glutathione IV.. about 30 minutes later it was the most horrific experience of my life and I ended up in the ER. I don't know how anyone's body could ever feel this way. NO ONE understands.

That's exactly how Erica responds. It's like devastating fatigue, "dying feeling." Erica also go the Glutathione IV and had the same response exactly 30 minutes later too. She didn't end up in the ER but it was pretty miserable. I myself have experiences sensitivies in the past as well, including food sensitivies. Before I knew I had Lyme. Nothing solved my problem back then.

Sadly in my case, the "solution" to my sensitivies and digestive "leaky gut" issue came in the form of steroids. It solved all these issues. The negative was causing the infections to become entrenched and wildly persistent. If I had to do it over I'd have tried many more options now that I'm aware Lyme and co-infections were the causes. Maybe I could have avoided the consequence.

quote:

Has she tried things like activated charcoal or cholestyramine? Those might help too.

She has.

quote:

Bigdreams, re the glutathione issue, my doctor wants me to try Max GXL capsules. They have seven glutathione precursors in them. I haven't tried it yet.

We'll look into it, though I doubt it'll be useful immediately. I think it may be more useful after we understand this better.

quote:

Mike,

I don't think that a poisoning with Bactrim can cause a "chemical injury" to such an extent as your friend is experiencing.

I rather think that she got a trauma due to the Bactrim poisoning and this trauma now makes her react to anything that looks like a pill... (simply put).

I would recommend to look into the Amygdala Retraining Technique

http://www.guptaprogramme.com/

The first 3 sessions are free to download and it explains very well what can happen in the brain due to such traumas.

The author also said that people with MCS had success with his training (doesn't say so on his website but in a mail to me).

All the best to your friend,

Gabrielle

Unfortunately. She responds to all the classic sensitivity of MCS. We looked into chemical injury -- which is simply another term for multiple chemical sensitivity depending on who you talk to. We've also looked a little into the Amygdala retraining (Neural therapy), but we've not done anything with it yet. we're trying to find a competent doctor -- the best in-fact that specializes in MCS and Neual Therapy. We'll read the website Gabrielle. Thank you so much.

quote:

Lot of alt med suggestions here, which is not up my alley, so just one thought: someone who used to post on lymenet also seemed to have MCS and found that low doses of IVIG occasionally seemed to help.

But this can be expensive and is IV administered, so maybe as a last resort, after you have tried other suggestions that seemed promising.

We're looking into the IVIG. Thank you Lou.

Thank you everyone for all your great advice. Keep it coming if you have other ideas. We'll follow-up on everything. My girlfriend will likely use my account to answer more of your questions soon. She'll identify herself.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metallic,

Doing some research on Amazon and just came across a new Lyme book which will be published in April 2010. The title is Healing Lyme Disease Naturally. Sounds like an interesting book which might be worth a look when it is published.

http://tinyurl.com/lrd4pd

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

lyme ed, please EMPTY PM BOX; it's full; i tried to send you this, but ....

metallic blue/mike's home email is below

please email him your info there and show your LYMENET NAME IN SUBJECT LINE so he doesn't think it's spam...

too many folks email him daily; his 60 messages sent/incoming fill up daily otherwise [Smile] huge thanks

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

This is Erica Mike's Metallic Blue's girlfriend.
You have been all so helpful and now I have a lot of research to do ahead of me. I have been feeling quite desperate but your ideas give me some hope.

I want to do the Genova labs test for the liver pathways but I'm not sure which one I should do.
Is it the Standard detoxification profile where you have to take caffeine asprin and paracetamol or the Detoxigenomic Profile?

Lyme Ed you can email me at [email protected] or email Mike at [email protected] I'd like to know more about what you think.

Thanks again guys for all your support. i'll probably get back with more questions as i look into everything.
Erica

--------------------

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Erica,

Start with the standard detox profile where you take the aspirin, caffeine etc. That is the test that shows how your body is actually funtioning. This test should be covered by insurance.

Then if that test shows major problems you might also want to order the other test later from Genova or another lab. The other test is a genetic test and will not be covered by insurance. Supposedly this test only tests for things that can be improved by supplements so it may not be the best test available. Other labs may also test for additional detox genes.

Bea Seibert

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metallic what kinds of virus' does she test

positive for? She may be one that could require

treatment at the same time for both.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

All her PCR tests for viruses were negative just IGg for Mono but PCR was negative so they told her it should,'t be active even thoguh we know that with Lyme there can be some reactivation.

--------------------

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 2 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by METALLlC BLUE:
[QUOTE]
Thank you for bringing the message up. I do think that others are concerned about providing advice on this subject. I appreciate your opinion even though it's nothing new. Your support is still encouraging. [QUOTE]

Yes, MB, you are correct. Pls forgive me as there seemed to be a lot going on at the time.

Please keep us updated and wish your girlfriend and you the best.

ping

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Hi Erica - glad to see you're on here and going to take some action!

Bea, just read what you wrote about the standard detox profile that tests for current functioning. I had never heard of that one.

My alternative doctor never mentioned that one to me. He went straight for the genetic detox test.

Am wondering if that was because he saw I was so reactive to everything and wanted to get the most detailed info.

Maybe it's possible that Erica has a med-induced sensitivity, and so just needs the first one you're recommending?

On the other hand, if we are unable to detox properly, then that could cause a problem with meds too.

In sheets that I got back explaining the damaged pathways, they listed the kinds of drugs that I would have a hard time metabolizing.

aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by seibertneurolyme:
[QB] Erica,

Start with the standard detox profile where you take the aspirin, caffeine etc. That is the test that shows how your body is actually funtioning.

How much caffeine do you have to take for the test. I can't tolerate any caffeine, without getting really sick.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

welcome erica,

nice to finally meet you; we think the world of mike!! so glad he has you in his life, and you 2 can fight these lyme battles together! [Smile] hugs/kisses

LYME ED, go to the TOP of YOUR screen, "my profile", click on it.

that's your private messages; it will show you have 60 in there.

answering your incoming mail, and start deleting your SENT ones.

60 max total for SEND/INCOMING ALL THE TIME. best wishes.

caffine pill ....it is a pill; i took it BUT NO RESULTS SHOWED I DIDN'T TAKE IT when i had!! so they couldn't analyze that and the results were skewered!

i'm copying the results of MY test and the DETAILED comments from the lab they sent me to give you/others info about what they do, etc.

these were from 4-06:

GENOVA DX / GREAT SMOKY LABS, Asheville, NC
 NO caffeine clearance since my NO DOZ pill didn't show up!
 Plasma CYSTEINE 4.42 HIGH; hi to 3.9
 Plasma sulfate 4.70 low, lo 4.80
 Acetaminophen glucuronide % recovery is
7 LOW, low is 27
 Plasma cysteine/sulface ref. Range is
HIGH 0.94, hi is 0.78

Free radical markers:
 Catechol close to HIGH 0.035; hi is 0.040
 GLUTATHIONE PEROXIDASE LOW 11.9, lo is 20.3
 Superoxide dismutase LOW 1,400; lo is 1,610

Caffeine level is greater in 2nd saliva sample. This may be to additional caffeine intake or MISLABELING of tubes. Caffeine clearance could NOT be reported.

To the patient from lab:

Our bodies must be able to detoxify, or neutralize, toxins from the external environment as well as those produced within our own bodies. This process takes place mostly in the LIVER, and consists of 2 phases.

PHASE 1 toxins are activated, which means that they are altered in such a way that carrier molecules, phase 2, are able to transport them out of the body.

A handy analogy is the bagging of our trash, phase 1, so that the garbage man can pick it up and cart it away, phase 2.

PHASE 1 is accomplished by a family of enzymes called ``cytochrome P450'', and phase 2 takes place via a number of important mechanisms, 4 of which we measure in this test, with the help of the challenge substances, caffeine, acetaminophen and aspirin.

Both phase 1 and 2 of detoxification must function adequately so that toxins are able to be neutralized, and the 2 phases must be in balance with each other so that the activated compounds from phase 1 cannot accumulate in the body and cause damage.

In your particular case, some phase 2 pathways ARE UNDERFUNCTIONING. This can significantly impair the body's ability to clear compounds. There is also some evidence of LOW ANTI-OXIDANT RESERVE. Anti-oxidants help to counter excess free radical activity in the body, oxidative stress, which in your case is present to some degree.

Free radicals are highly reactive molecules capable of causing tissue damage in a chain-reaction fashion in the body.

With nutritional support, these kinds of imbalances are usually correctable. Following is a detailed description of your results.

TO THE CLINICIAN:

Plasma cysteine is elevated, while plasma sulfate is depressed. This suggest that the body is having some difficulty generating sulfate from cysteine, sulfoxidation..

This has results in an elevated cysteine/sulfate radio. This impairment may be due to a genetic enzyme defect or molybdenum insufficiency, and has been observed in some patients with:

Rheumatoid arthritis and neurological diseases; such as, Alzheimer's Parkinson's disease, and motor neuron disease.

Ensure availability of cofactors for cysteine's metabolic pathways, including molybdenum, magnesium, vitamin B6, and pantothenic acid.

Insufficiencies may result in the accumulation of cysteine.

NOTE: Phase 1 & 2 ratios which lie below the reference range will NOT be discussed within the commentary text, even though they may appear in the red boxes labled ``abnormal''. At this time we have NOT found sufficient information to consider them clinically significant.

Among the phase 2 pathways, GLUCURONIDATION IS UNDERFUNCTIONING.

This can result in poor detoxification of many compounds in the body, particularly many medications.

This may reflect nutrtional inadequacies and/or genetic uniqueness.

Elevations of either catechol or 2,3 DHBA indicated HYDROXYL RADICAL ACTIVITY IN THE BODY. This may reflect excess free radical production, inadequate antioxidants, insufficient nutrient cofactors for SOD, SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE, and/or excess iron or copper in the body.

Free radical damage is thought to underlie many pathological processes; such as:

Atherosclerosis, aging, CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME, cancer, cardiovascular disease, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's.

The level of SOD, SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE was found DEPRESSED.

The body utilitizes this enzyme to rapidly convert the superoxide anion radical to hydrogen peroxide, which is less toxic to cells.

Mitochondrial SOD requires MANGANESE for its activity, while the cytoplasmic form REQUIRES COPPER & ZINC.

Reduced levels of SOD have been noted in several disorders;

Including rheumatoid arthritis, CATARACTS, infertility, and compromised immune function. Low level indicates poor defense against the superoxide anion radical, thereby increasing the risk of free radical damage.

Glutathione peroxidase, GSHPx, was also found DEPRESSED.

GSHPx represents another important front-line enzyme of the antioxidant defense team, using glutathione and selenium to help dispose of hydrogen peroxide and lipid peroxides.

Low levels of GSHPX are associated with a higher risk of oxidative damage in the body, and have been observed in disorders associated with free radicals,

including alcoholism, cancer, atherosclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and CATARACTS, as well as selenium insufficiency.

Maintaining optimal levels of glutathione, selenium, and ALL ANTIOXIDANTS can help shift the balance away from oxidative stress.

bigdreams87
Member # 20493

I have the same reaction as Erica... cant take NAC, glutathione, alcohol, any meds. Through ART testing the other day I was told I couldn't handle sulfur. Avoiding all sulfur stuff and taking sulfur clearing supplements help. I never had these "problems" before being sick with Lyme.

FYI...

We have mold in our home, at my parents where I am staying... I just spent the night at my apartment where there is no mold and today I felt really really good.. I was able to run some errands with my gf and could actually handle walking around, it was surreal.

I am wondering if living in a home with mold could put you in a very toxic state.

When I get tested on Zyto my problems were 1. EMF, 2. Chemical exposure, 3. Bacteria. I have been addressing the EMF and it is helping, now I am trying to figure out the chemical part.

I do have a problem with clearing sulfur/ammonia, and will be doing the liver detox panels.

But I wonder if indoor mold has anything to do with any of this?

IDK...

ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

I sent you an email. Another couple of things that may quiet her system down--try Northampton Wellness. She could probably tolerate a shot of
B12 or Magnesium to quiet her system down. Also, there is a sauna at Universal Health Club on Hawley ST., Northampton, MA, that I believe she could tolerate to detox. To join on a monthly basis is somewhere between 25-30 dollars.

Please read my email as there is more detailed information to help her. Also, keep as many things out of her gut right now. If she must take supplements, under the tongue, is best.

Her mast cells may have been irritated, so check out what I emailed.

ArtistDi

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

ArtistDi,
This is Michael. Your e-mail/PM was nearly identical to another member of Lyme Net who we received mail from. We also had a discussion with this person on the phone.

I appreciate both of your information because it's exactly what I've thought was the problem all along. However, before we explore these very serious directions, we'll do the "work-ups" first, to get a wide profile of what her body is doing. We'll get the Genova testing done, we'll avoid chemicals and try to keep her as medication free as possible. We're also going to avoid probiotics, given their immune stimulating properties. Since shes not on any antibiotics to begin with, this shouldn't be an issue.

We're going to provide supportive treatments -- many of which have been recommended -- but only after we decipher the correct order based on consultation with physicians and with more of you.

We will continue to review all the information provided and we've already done research on some of the doctors you provided. Everthing checked out nicely.

When we finally do have a practical answer that actually works for Erica, I will post a comprehensive report in this same post to ensure that other patients don't have to suffer again. Having access to a post like this on Lymenet is crucial, because people like Erica or with a similar issue requiring similar treatment, need directions to investigate.

--------------------

mati
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike

I am in the same position - can't tolerate anything with severe MCS and wrecked adrenals and thyroid.

I don't have any medical help so am doing it myself. I really believe that the body can heal.

I have learned how to muscle test myself, it's easy, just lie on your back, bend one leg and use that muscle. Slowly I am working my way through food sensitivities and they keep changing so it is great to be able to test myself. I am using fresh vegetable juices using a juicer that does not destroy the enzymes, and a special glass bottles, alkaline spring water as the basis of my diet.

I am body brushing and doing a small amount of excercise. Had to stop sauna and weight lifting due to heart symptoms. In a few weeks there is some improvement in joint pain.

I just do what my muscle responds to. The big thing I think is to avoid stress and not do too much.

You can learn how to muscle test ont he internet and curezone is good for tips on health issues as they follow natural healing.

Good luck!

mati

Posts: 148 | From europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mati
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike

Just seen your last post.

You will save a whole pile of money and energy if you go the natural route.

My leg muscle lets me what my body needs each day. I am very sick indeed but still have confidence in the body's power of healing. There are plenty of books on the subject especially on juice therapy. I know that some people are not able to have this confidence though so need support. I wish you luck.

Posts: 148 | From europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this problem. I have to start every med and herb with one drop or a bit of a capsule.
I prefer putting things on my skin, so I can wash it off easily.
I had to start f.e.magnesium with one drop on the skin and now I can spray it all over.

Take the time to slowly start with new meds. Otherwise you lose more time.
Try to start a bit of glutathione.
I know this is horrible.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

My alternetive doc did say to start liver detoxing by doing juicing with fresh vegetables.
Cort
Member # 22271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone in the Forums I run passed this story to me. I know a CFS patient who was in a similar situation (minus the tick bite); he could not tolerate any treatments or eventually anything at all really. Amazingly he did recover. You can find his story here http://aboutmecfs.org/Story/MECFSRecovery.aspx

We are having more patients go through this doctors protocol and are following them to see how they do in a group (New Day) set up on the Phoenix Rising Forums (forums.aboutmecfs.org). You have to register for the forums to be a part of the group. (Click on the Community tab to find the group)

The doctor is not focused on a particular pathogen; instead he uses techniques to build up the immune system, etc. to fight it off.

Good luck!

Posts: 1 | From San Diego | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Cort, thanks for taking the time to respond to Erica like you did.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement